Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My SS Issues

My SS Issues

Here are some issues I am going to have with SS:

1. I am only able to workout Monday-Tuesday-Friday. I won't have a single off day between the first two, and I'll have 2 between the 2nd and 3rd, will this destroy my program?

2. I am replacing Clean with Rows, should I stay at the same set/rep?

3. Would it be ok for me to add curls in on 2 of the workouts at the end of them?

4. How long should I stay with SS, at this basic step, before adding exercises and set/rep changes? I am thinking 2-3 months, 2 at least, maybe even for 6 months. I just want to lose fat and get stronger, so I mean, I think SS will do good either way.

Thanks for any help.

1) Your timing isn't optimal, but if you try to workout early on mondays and later on tuesdays it will be okay.

2) Don't replace cleans with rows.

3) Don't go overboard.

4) SS should last for at least 6 months, with a few small changes here and there along the way.

1. I can't lol their at same times
    2. I have to
    3. ok
    4. ok thanks for advice.

Hey Cain Why not add chin-ups and/or wide grip pullups instead of curls? They will still develop your biceps very effectly and also will work shoulder/back! It stays with the principles that SS is based on! Just an idea. Todd
    "The deadlift is more functional in that it’s very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Well, I kinda added Curls just cause I really like Standing Barbell Curls. Like I really love the burn they give me. I wasn't really adding them to just build muscle on the bi's lol.

You should really purchase and read Starting Strength.

You will gain great insight on how and why you should work Rippetoe's barbell program.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

I actually just showed my parents that, the problem is, I have no money to buy it with. Like I really don't.

I am confused though, if it's that great, how come like, when does he cover dumbbells, or machines? I mean, I know for a fact a lot of competitors use both, with barbells.

Because you can lift more weight with barbells and machines suck.
    My 10 week cut results

Dumbbells work parts that barbells don't though, and their free weights so they don't suck like Machines. I do know Machines suck, but they can be useful I think.

You can effectively work your whole body with the use of only barbells.

Dumbbells are good due to the freedom of motion and are a little more challenging pound for pound. However, you simply can't lift as much weight with them.

Bench press 200 lbs with a barbell then try it with dumbbells, you probably won't even be able to get the dumbbells on your chest. Barbells will allow you to lift much heavier, allowing you develop adaptations that only come with very heavy weights.
    My 10 week cut results

Yea, I know that, but I have seen most of the "bigger" guys use dumbbells too and I just kinda got that into me.

Yea, I just wouldn't want to keep it with just barbells for a long time. I can't wait to start SS (tommorrow ) but I really do want the book, I will have to wait a week or 2 for it. I am just going to do the sticky for now. It seems like it will work, adding with my decent diet, and cardio, I should be able to shed the 20 pounds or so I want off.

Honestly, just follow starting strength exactly. All this bull**** will just hold you back. You sound exactly like I used to and it hurt me in the long run.

Also make sure you eat enough, if you don't it's a waste of time to lift.

Dude if you want dumbbells then go curl into oblivion, but that is not the premise of SS. You will need to pick one or the other. I'm sure you can do okay with dumbbells, but compound exercises like what are in SS will more than likely be what you want.

"The burn" and getting stronger are not necessarily synonymous.

As was posted above, I'd do pullups and chinups instead of curls, just IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
    Honestly, just follow starting strength exactly. All this bull**** will just hold you back. You sound exactly like I used to and it hurt me in the long run.

Also make sure you eat enough, if you don't it's a waste of time to lift.
    I am eating at the rate I need to, to cut. -800 from my BSR. I am getting 100g of Protein from my 2 whey shakes a day, so I should be ok on the muscle loss front.

Thanks for that though .

Cain, you aren't going to get anywhere until you quit believing all the bodybuilding magazine cr@p. You have so many wrong ideas about what works and what doesn't.

Starting Strength has a focus on basic barbell exercises for a reason. They are the bread and butter of any good routine, especially for beginners.
    Last edited by Off Road; 10-12-2009 at 09:11 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Cain, you aren't going to get anywhere until you quit believing all the bodybuilding magazine cr@p. You have so many wrong ideas about what works and what doesn't.

Starting Strength has a focus on basic barbell exercises for a reason. They are the bread and butter of any good routine, especially for beginners.
    umk. I will just stick to SS, and keep my mouth shut unless the question is, whats the word lol, needed, ugh had a better word, but ok. I want to see how I do on SS anyways.

Thanks, and thats the end of this topic.

Don't stop posting...just start listening.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I am gonna keep posting, I am listening...more then you think probably. I really am glad I found this place. I mean, I know I've said this before, but bodybuilding.com just messed me up. 90% of the people there are pricks, who don't care about helping others but themselves.

I am just not going to make topics about questions, unless I cannot find it in search, or it isn't a good question.

Thanks for helping me Off Road, I mean believe it or not, I think I have the ability to become great at weight lifting, I just hate knowing it is going to take time, but I can't defy the world, so I have to just push hard, and wait for results.

Thanks, and I really do mean it. I am so...idk how to say it, addicted? with lifting, it is one of the few things that keeps me going through the days.

I wish you great luck with your goals. Get started and keep us posted.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CainMcCloud View Post
    I just hate knowing it is going to take time
    Thats only human nature man, we all want results faster and with less effort but really there are no short cuts... Good luck with your SS program.

Baz

Yeah man patience patience... this is speaking from experience. I'm 13 weeks in and I'm still impatient.

Start a journal here, it will help more than you realize. Also, if you cant buy SS the read the SS sticky and the Texas Method Sticky and watch all of the videos.

Learn how to clean too.
    Sarvamangalam!

Cain, if it matters at all, SS is a great starting point for bodybuilders AND powerlifters, when you are just starting out. It's a routine that will give you a good base, you will not be displeased with the physique it gives you. After getting stronger on SS, then you can start isolation exercises if you're lifting more for physique than strength.

And gurus can correct me if I'm wrong.

Cain, I am 20 weeks into SS and you wouldn't recognize me from when I started. The biggest gains I have made in size are my legs and ass. I need to go up another waist size just to fit my butt.

This **** really works.

Wow, I love the responses, their inspirational, and today was one of them days at the gym that just kinda made me feel like ****, so thanks guys. I can't wait to get the 3-a week SS thing, this week it was only 2 cause I couldn't get a third day, but I am not going to let that happen again.