The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Alex Lesukov, small pic - HUGE BACK!!

Kroc rows!!!

aka: Heavy DB rows w/ a lot of flexing & stretching at the top and bottom respectfully...

Quote Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
    I youtubed Rack Chins and was wondering how doing those with weight in your lap compares to pullups/chinups with a dip belt? Seems like you're not using 100% of your body weight, right?
    No you are not using all your bodyweight, but you can add weight. I did them yesterday with a 85lb db in my lap. I find I can squeeze better at the top than a traditional pullup, also get a nice slow negative into a good stretch at the bottom. More controlled motion for me.
    Last edited by cphafner; 10-13-2009 at 06:46 PM.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    No you are not using all your bodyweight, but you can add weight. I did them yesterday with a 85lb db in my lap. I find I can squeeze better at the top than a traditional pullup, also get a nice slow negative into a good stretch at the bottom. More controlled motion for me.
    Connor sums it up nicely there. You can get a great stretch out of these. DC recommends the rack chins for back width because the program is all about strength progression and it is more likely one would progress on rack chins for longer period of time than weighted pull ups.

Deadlifts. Deadlifts. And more Deadlifts.

DB Rows. SLDLs (heavy)

Zerchers work too......
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Oh and BGB was a great work out for my back
    She lied.... SIZE MATTERS!

I think it all contributes to your back. Obviously we all know deadlifts are at the top of the list, but doing pull-ups (all grip variations), Rows (DB and BB, and all grip variations), Rack pulls, squats and pressing lifts even, and oly lifts too....all add to your overall back development. I do almost all of those lifts that I mentioned, except rack pulls, and I get compliments on my back all the time too. I wouldn't want to neglect any of them.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Snatches and Clean and Jerks. Keeping lats flexed during the pull plus a hard dynamic shrug at the end of the pull plus supporting the weight overhead in a shrugged position = thick back.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    First and foremost.....DEADLIFT......heavy.

That combined with a variety of rowing movements (heavy dumbbell rows especially) has given me thickness and width.

Hey, have you guys tried your rows and pull-downs with fat bars?

I did it for lots of sets on Tuesday and it worked a treat, was hard on my whole upper back.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Hey, have you guys tried your rows and pull-downs with fat bars?

I did it for lots of sets on Tuesday and it worked a treat, was hard on my whole upper back.
    They are good if you are looking to isolate your back (fat bar forces you to use better technique it seems), but I find that my grip is a limiting factor with the 2" bar.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    They are good if you are looking to isolate your back (fat bar forces you to use better technique it seems), but I find that my grip is a limiting factor with the 2" bar.
    Interesting! I had never thought about the fat bar forcing you to keep better form, but now that i think about it, the way you'd have to keep your wrists and hands it makes sense.

Lots of good stuff in here guys. Everyone likes to have a big thick back. I think sometimes it's a largely neglected bodypart in bodybuilders or at least newer bodybuilders because its not one that you see every time you take your shirt off.

Everyone sees their abs, pecs etc, but you don't always see your back.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Now here comes the next part of the question for a crazy thick back.

Frequency.

Some guys hit back twice, some split it into lats on one day, upper and inner on another, still others have a rowing day and a pull down day and of course some guys just do it on one day and leave it at that.

What works for you guys?

I typically do two days. One day is lighter and lower intensity, the other is hard, heavy, lots of reps

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I've always responded well to frequency, 2x a week, either Heavy day and Medium day, same or similar exercises, vertical and horizontal in the same session.

Or

Heavy each session but twice one week, once the week after, twice the next ie ABA, BAB.

So many exercises, so many training ideas, and so little time and finite capacity for recovery means we can't do them all. There are a few principles which all big backs (and every other bodypart) are built upon, it'll be interesting to see how everyone else responds to your question Travis.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Everyone sees their abs, pecs etc, but you don't always see your back.
    Haha, when I first started training all I wanted was WIDE lats - I don't think I've ever seen pecs or abs worth noting on my body.

As far as frequency goes I like to think I'm doing the right thing by doing a horizontal row movement on bench days, and a verticle movement on sqaut/deadlifts - So its possible I'm working them 4 times a week, and I've started to fill out a little since I've started doing this.

Wannabebig Member
    Deadlifts, and weighted pull ups/chin ups

Weighted Chins and Pullups: Instead of just pulling until your chin clears the bar, try pulling to your sternum. Do your last set bodyweight only; pause at the top, then descend slowly. This will trash your lats.

Hammer Seated Rows: This is the best chest assisted rowing machine I've used. If you have the machine that allows wide & narrow, neutral, and overhand grips, use them all.

Rack Pulls: Try these on a Smith Machine (no ****). Instead of just pulling up, pull up and back. If you add bands and do a heavy 5x5, I guarantee you'll have DOMS in your traps, rear delts, and back for two days afterwards.

As far as frequency goes, mine varies from cycle to cyle. Sometimes, I'll do all of my back work in one session each week. Other times, I'll split up lats and middle back. My favorite mantra has become, "Everything works; nothing works forever."
    Last edited by UncleAl; 10-17-2009 at 10:14 AM.
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight Class: 165
    Squat (raw): 355
    Bench Press (raw): 265
    Deadlift (raw): 501.5

we do alot of heavy T bar rows using your legs, along with heavy barbell rows from the floor, and heavy pulldowns. i also do alot of high rep work. personally deadlifting made my back thicker.

i normally do a high rep pulldown on my bench day, heavy rows on my squat day, light rows on my speed squat day. so 3 times a week here.
    Last edited by Stumprrp; 10-17-2009 at 10:12 AM.
    2000 or bust

I was enjoying this conversation. For those that do rack pulls for upper back thickness (vs lockout work) I am curious where you position the bar. I like it just as my knees. Others?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I train back heavy with pretty high volume on it's own day and lighter for 4x15 chuck rows or seated rows after max bench day, so twice for me.

Good to read everyones thoughts!
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Yeah I really found it great for isolating the back!

I will do a heavy movement on a normal bar first up then all the rest with a fat bar for a while and see how it goes.

I have been using the Fatgripz for floor press too and love it for sets of 5-10 with close grip (pretty hard on the arms).
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...