Thread: New Article - Kettlebells for the Uninitiated!

Hybrid View

New Article - Kettlebells for the Uninitiated!

We just published a new article - Kettlebells for the Uninitiated

Mike Scialabba is a new writer for Wannabebig and one that you'll be seeing again in the future for sure. He is an impressive 'in the trenches' type coach who owns the Missoula Underground Strength Training Center.

We hope you guys enjoy this one and please let us know what you think here!

Also if you have any questions about the article, Mike will be about to answer them.

Here is the intro to the article:

If you’ve been busting your ass with barbells and dumbbells for the past few years and are looking for something new to help add slabs of muscle to your body and improve your overall conditioning, it may be time to add something new to your training tool box.

Sure, it’s a little funny-looking, but let us assure you that training with the kettlebell is no laughing matter.

Get ready to learn how to perform some basic and effective kettlebell movements aswell as how to easily integrate them into your routine!

Read the full article here
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Great read. I'm off to buy some pink kettlebells!!

LOL

I've slowly started to incorporate kettlebells more into my workout. I'm going to try the conditioning ones in the article.

Wannabebig Member
    Don't do it Coqui! Keep 'em rusty! Glad you liked the read!

Once you feel comfortable with the single swing (if your not already), try stacking a few of those independent movements up for a few of your own conditioning kb complexes. It'll rock your world!

Nice read. Thanks.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I've trained with nothing but Kettlebells and bodyweight since about March. Started with Pavel's Enter The Kettlebell book and DVD with the Art of Strength program built on ETK and have figured out a lot of different places to go from there.

It's amazing how addicting these things get. Their primal simplicity is a major draw.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Wannabebig New Member

Questions

Mike

Great article. A lot to get on with. I have a couple of questions

1. How do I know what size kettlebell to use?

2. How do I progress to the next size given the 4kg jumps between bells? This seems to be the main disadvantage with kettlebells - not being able to add small amounts of resistance.

Thanks again

Colin

Using the RKC guidelines, most men should start with 16kg but go to 24 if you've got a LOT of time under you. Swinging a 24kg bell will probably tear you up.

As for progressing, don't think...just do. It's not a disadvantage at all, it's an advantage. It forces you to make huge improvements very quickly. Once you start getting better, you jump to the next size and your goal becomes finishing your workout. There's also always a way to change up the routine to keep it brutal while not changing the weight at all.

Sensei is probably still the most knowledgeable on the forum here. I believe he holds the RKC certification.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

It's a small shot, but.....any way to work any of this in with SS, or would it mess too much with recovery? It looks fun.

Wannabebig Member
    Colimfc - Viking Warlord said it well, starting with a 16kg is a good standard to follow.

Also, the increase in 4kg increments is completely necessary. Keep in mind that the kb is not designed for typical dumbbell or barbell orientated movements. It's designed for swinging, cleaning, pressing and snatching.

Once you solidify your movements with the 16kg, you'll progress well to a 20kg or 24kg kb without too much trouble if any at all. However, like Viking Warlord said, for most individuals, a 24kg kb will TEAR YOU UP!

Enjoy!

Wannabebig Member
    Dorkydood - give me a little more info and I may be able to answer that for you. When you say you're doing SS training - Define that for me; Starting Strength, Speed Sets, Slow sets, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scialabba View Post
    Dorkydood - give me a little more info and I may be able to answer that for you. When you say you're doing SS training - Define that for me; Starting Strength, Speed Sets, Slow sets, what?
    Hey Mike! Welcome to WannaBeBig,

Dorkydood is refering to Starting Strength, its become a very popular program on this forum.

good article. Will be purchasing some kettleballs

Wannabebig Member
    Good read, thanks, been tempted to get some kettlebells for a while, think i might now!

Hi There!

As Risk mentioned, I am doing SS. Not sure how much it'd effect my recovery, but I'd definitely be interested in trying some of this stuff out. Not sure if it'd fit anywhere with the Mon. Wed. Fri. split.

Wannabebig Member
    Cool guys - Starting Strength is a decent protocol for absolute beginners. So now it just depends on how far along into starting strength you are. If you've been at it a few weeks you're probably ready for a little more stimulation. You could try just adding the conditioning program from the article directly after your last rep of Dead's or Cleans (whichever you're doing) on each of your training days. I would recommend using a 16kg kb for the initial introduction of the kettlebell. This way you'll ensure proper recovery and benefit from a little 'metcon' in addition to your strength training.

From there I would move onward to a 20kg kb after a few weeks, and perhaps throw in a few reverse lunges following your final set of squats. This way you can begin development of some critical knee stabilization and some more highly needed single leg work.

Have fun!

A very well written article!

Wannabebig New Member

Few question

Nice Article Daniel!!I liked it.I just want to know how much weight of ketlebell i should use and Fewhow i should increase the weight.

Thanks Mike. I'm looking forward to trying some of these.

One question: which kettle bell exercises do you think would be best for the rotator cuffs, and would it be an appropriate warmup before a heavy set of bench?

Wannabebig Member
    Dynobells - Viking Warlord answered that question nicely in comment #7, check it out, it'll help!

Dorkydood - Few things to keep in perspective while introducing KB's into your equipment diet:

KB's are a superb tool for many things.

KB's are only 1 of many tools that should lie within your toolbox when it comes to your overall training and training methods. When it comes to exercising the rotator cuff there are MANY other options that are far superior to the kb.

Same principles apply to warming up for the bench press. You could use a kb, but plyo push ups, push up shuffles, pin press, etc., would be far superior methodologies when it come to priming your body for the bench press.

The first time you start using KettleBells you are given a bit of a shock, at least I was.

I find it generally quite hard to remain co-ordinated etc when doing stuff like this so it felt akward at first but once you get into the groove things just slot into place.

I've used them for normal sets in a standard workout or as part of a GPP circuit and they are tough, tough, tough.

Great article and more from Mike to come in the future, he is going to be a regular writer around here and we're lucky to have him! Big guy too!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Great article. I'm going to have to buy some.......

I'm looking forward to more articles by Mike
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Any tips on where to buy these things? I just check my local dunham's sporting goods and they wanted $99 for a 16kg and some DVD. Seems like an arm and a leg for a single KB and considering I don't need the DVD since the movements are readily available. Looked at a few places online and they are way cheaper but then shipping gets taxed heavy.

Also wondering while I'm looking if you have any recommendations on brands. Some of them seem to have a narrower handle and just look cheaper. Found a site selling a York 35lb KB for $65 shipped, this seems like the best deal I've found.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Dragon Door kettlebells. There are others that would be fine, but DD bells are the standard for non-competition kettlebells. http://www.dragondoor.com/kettlebellkettlebells/
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/