Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intensity on a 3 day routine?

Intensity on a 3 day routine?

How to you get most intensity on a 3 day routine like starting strength? I know it will kick your butt after a while, but how do you get most out of it? Im not sure if I even know what intensity really is. I feel like a beginner again

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

What?
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    What?
    what do you do to increase intensity? Faster lifting, heavier lifting with force reps, what?

Add weight
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    Add weight
    lower rest times

If you do SS and do the warmups correctly,in less than an hour,you will be tired. Provided you are steadily adding weight to the bar. Squats,Deads and especially Powercleans are very demanding. Rest times,particularly on squats can really make a big difference for me! I am usually sweating like a slave by about halfway through my workout,sometimes it is so bad I can't get my hands dry for deads and PC's
    "The deadlift is more functional in that it’s very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Intensity is a measure of the % of your 1RM that you're lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    If you do SS and do the warmups correctly,in less than an hour,you will be tired. Provided you are steadily adding weight to the bar. Squats,Deads and especially Powercleans are very demanding. Rest times,particularly on squats can really make a big difference for me! I am usually sweating like a slave by about halfway through my workout,sometimes it is so bad I can't get my hands dry for deads and PC's
    If you aren't already, start using a hook grip while doing powercleans. My hands sweat quite a bit too and a hook grip makes it much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    How to you get most intensity on a 3 day routine like starting strength? I know it will kick your butt after a while, but how do you get most out of it? Im not sure if I even know what intensity really is. I feel like a beginner again

I am going to try not to be too harsh but, do you ever feel like a dog chasing your tail? You've been a member on here a long time and you continue to ask beginner questions on diet, lifting, routines, intensity , supplements ect ect. You've gotten a ton of great advice from various members and have made very little progress. Maybe it's time to ask yourself if you are willing to work for the body you want.

edit: And another thing....intensity is 99%mental. When you leave that gym you should feel like you made every lift count and gave 110%. Then go puke, take in a protien shake go to sleep and do it again tommorow!
    Last edited by given'er; 10-15-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Intensity can be several things, lifting closer to your 1 rm, less rest between sets, basically, it's how hard you really push yourself during the workout.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by given'er View Post
    I am going to try not to be too harsh but, do you ever feel like a dog chasing your tail?
    somebody had to say it. There has been a lot of that going on here lately. If they put half the effort into training and eating that they do into trying to get everything figured out, they'd be way ahead of where they are now.

Find a routine you believe in, stick with it progressively for at least six months, and don't mess with it at all.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    somebody had to say it. There has been a lot of that going on here lately. If they put half the effort into training and eating that they do into trying to get everything figured out, they'd be way ahead of where they are now.

Find a routine you believe in, stick with it progressively for at least six months, and don't mess with it at all.
    Exactally. Lots of people WANT things sooooo bad but that's only a small part of it. You have to put the time and effort in to achieve your goals. That's not just for bodybuilding but everything in life.

Do the program as it is written and keep adding weight to the main lifts. When the weight gets heavy enough it will be difficult. The point of training isn't to get tired or try and wipe yourself out. The point of training is to get stronger. If you keep adding weight to the bar the program is working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by given'er View Post
    I am going to try not to be too harsh but, do you ever feel like a dog chasing your tail? You've been a member on here a long time and you continue to ask beginner questions on diet, lifting, routines, intensity , supplements ect ect. You've gotten a ton of great advice from various members and have made very little progress. Maybe it's time to ask yourself if you are willing to work for the body you want.

edit: And another thing....intensity is 99%mental. When you leave that gym you should feel like you made every lift count and gave 110%. Then go puke, take in a protien shake go to sleep and do it again tommorow!
    I know why you would say that. But I have made some pretty good progress. I gained 30lbs of mostly lean body mass in 6 months. My bf% is still fairly low, and Im ready to gain 30 more lbs. I just want to do it right. It might seem Im chasing my tail, but im just asking alot of questions to get as much information as possible. Yes I am still a beginner obviously. Ive been off for about a month now, and also before that wasted 3 months with a terrible diet (my fault). Im just now getting back in and I cant decide what routine would be best for me. Im debating Starting Strength, WBB 1, Or a 5 day split. Once I get going again, Ill shut up. I have until monday to figure it out.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Intensity is when all hell breaks loose during your squat session.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

LuNa
    I know why you would say that. But I have made some pretty good progress. I gained 30lbs of mostly lean body mass in 6 months. My bf% is still fairly low, and Im ready to gain 30 more lbs. I just want to do it right. It might seem Im chasing my tail, but im just asking alot of questions to get as much information as possible. Yes I am still a beginner obviously. Ive been off for about a month now, and also before that wasted 3 months with a terrible diet (my fault). Im just now getting back in and I cant decide what routine would be best for me. Im debating Starting Strength, WBB 1, Or a 5 day split. Once I get going again, Ill shut up. I have until monday to figure it out.
    Just take one and stick to it. Its not really rocket science. All the programs will require hard work and as long as you put that in, you will be fine.

Intensity - This goes up for me when I'm listenging to some really loud good music! It's all mental......

Awesome. I have had many days (especially Squat day) were I go balls to wall, and then almost pass out. Once on a 20 rep squat, I got finished and racked the weight, then my vision blackened. I almost passed out.

I am usually sweating like a slave by about halfway through my workout,sometimes it is so bad I can't get my hands dry for deads and PC's
    Without chalk on my powercleans I would clean and then just sling the bar over my head. Try some chalk
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

It doesnt matter how often you lift, intensity should be at an all time high at every new workout. It's mental and physical. It's going balls to the wall in every way, forcing your body to be pushed to limits it's never reached before (whether it be more weight or more reps). Intensity if keeping your headphones in and leaving the talking for another time.

When I think about intensity in the multiple gym's I go to, I can't even think of one person who stands out in the crowd, most are there to socialize between a few sets of curls or benches. Don't be one of those people, make a goal, and go to the gym and get it done, that's all there is to it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

I'm also going to add PATIENCE and DEDICATION.. That was a big one for me to get through my head. Even 6 months isn't really a long time in the world of body building. You can make great progress in that time period but you have to be willing to keep going past that point. Take a guy like Unholy, if you look at a 6month difference in his physic it may not look like a lot of progress but go back to when he started until now and holy f*&$#. Now thats PATIENCE and DEDICATION.

Dont get me wrong, I will do whatever it takes to get to my goal. I'm to addicted to lifting to quit or stop short of my goals. I will research hours on end to try to figure out how to get there. I have the diet, I have the motivation, just dont have the weight I want on the bar, and that in itself is enough to keep me going. Sorry if my questions are annoying, just trying to pick the pros knowledge lol. Thank you for all the help.

I will research hours on end to try to figure out how to get there.
    That can be a problem for some people. The research needs to be done under the bar or at the table. Seriously, you will learn so much more by actually lifting and playing around with your diet than you ever will from articles. Stick with a proven routine for a long time, keep an acurate journal, and only make small changes so you can track the progress. You could have stayed with your crappy (your words) routine and slowly made changes to it to make it a good routine based on your progress. But instead, you started over because you found something "better".

I've been sticking with my 5/3/1 for a few months now. One of our "experts" posted some interesting stuff that I wanted to try out. I didn't change my whole routine, I just made a couple of little changes. I ended up crashing after a few weeks, but I didn't have to look far to figure out what the cause was because I didn't change very many things. I was then able to make a few little changes and everything is back on track.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you'll never find the magic routine...you can only experiment and find out what's going to work for you personally.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thanks off road, that helps quite a bit. It sucks because I am so darn persuadable. Im going to have to kill that trait. Thanks again.

Modding My Bod
    Have you ever played football? Or any type of sport? Well you know that moment right before a play happens and all you can think is....EXPLODE. Think and do that before every set and make sure you are giving it your all. If you think you don't know what intensity is, then you obviously arent intense. Just put it in your head before every set and during every rep. EXPLODE.