The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

One of those door frame pullup bars is the best investment I could have made..

6 months ago I could do 1, maybe 2 pullups. After months of doing a few every time I went into the kitchen, they now feel like nothing. Definitely glad I got it. And it's an iron gym, so if I get tired of pullups, I can do quarter-ROM dips too!
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I got one of these for xmas and use it twice a week to do a little bodyweight circut in the morning with pullups, pushups, etc.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

What do you think is you weigh more then 230? Will it damage the door jams? I got a set up in my basement, but I'd like to have something convenient by my office where I can stretch. Just concerned about molding damage and being able to support my weight.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    What do you think is you weigh more then 230? Will it damage the door jams? I got a set up in my basement, but I'd like to have something convenient by my office where I can stretch. Just concerned about molding damage and being able to support my weight.
    I know someone who is about 220 and I think he uses it pretty often with no trouble. Going by your "I just hit 250" post, you have over 100lbs on me so my experience with it won't be quite the same as yours
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

I weigh about 215, and when I tried one of these things, it felt like it was bending. One of the guys I work with was 232 when we were messing around with it and he bent the handles. Definitly not made for heavier guys
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

...depends on the quality of the door/molding. Damaged an apartment door heavily once, but the plaster in my first house was solid as a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    I weigh about 215, and when I tried one of these things, it felt like it was bending. One of the guys I work with was 232 when we were messing around with it and he bent the handles. Definitly not made for heavier guys
    Ok, I will stick to the gym and the one I have built off my basement I-Beam. Thanks.

I DRANK YOUR MILK DieselWarrior's Avatar
    Im so old, weak and fat I cant do pull ups... yet. My power cage has a pull up bar, but right now all I do is a hang off it. At least Im gaining more time on the hang, and thats a start, right?

I envy anyone that can do pull ups, so I say GREAT WORK! Glad to hear of your progress!

Cheers,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by DieselWarrior View Post
    Im so old, weak and fat I cant do pull ups... yet. My power cage has a pull up bar, but right now all I do is a hang off it. At least Im gaining more time on the hang, and thats a start, right?

I envy anyone that can do pull ups, so I say GREAT WORK! Glad to hear of your progress!

Cheers,
    Andrew

Start with jump pullups. Like all movements, pullups are partially strength, partially synaptic facilitation. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    Start with jump pullups. Like all movements, pullups are partially strength, partially synaptic facilitation. Practice makes perfect.
    Yeaa I couldn't do a single real pullup like 4 years ago then I started resting my feet on a bench and pushing off a bit to help myself up. Jumping a bit seems like a good idea too. Now I can do multiple sets of multiple reps (won't amaze anyone with numbers) 'feetless' ...

That's so ****ty that a 230lb guy can bend that product. lol.
    My Journal My FatDay

Or do some kipping.

Video

Or do some kipping.

Video
    I did the kipping thing when I tried Crossfit. I didn't care for it too much, but I doubt I was doing it to the letter. I recall them irritating my shoulders a bit.
    Last edited by galileo; 10-18-2009 at 11:57 AM.

I did the kipping thing when I tried Crossfit. I didn't care for it too much, but I doubt I was doing it to the letter. I recall them irritating my shoulders a bit.
    the time I tried it my shoulders hurt as well...I think that a lot of the crossfit movements are pretty tough on your shoulders which is the one thing really keeping me away as I come from a line of poor shoulder health
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Pull-ups are one of the few lifts I can take some pride in. I can pull 12 off if I have a good workout buzz going.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs