Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: DE Bench Video

  1. #1
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920

    DE Bench Video

    Here's video from this week. I haven't come out with a video in awhile, I need to get one of my ME day, but I made sure to include something I've been experimenting with, using JM press as a speed accessory movement to help train my tri's to snap to lockout faster.

    The speed bench set is 285lbs bar weight. We were just using a lot of different plates so we didn't have to completely reload the bar between sets

    Video
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 10-17-2009 at 04:47 PM.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  2. #2
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,376
    Trav, you are looking very jacked! Seriously. Nice work. The jm's look interesting.


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  3. #3
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    Lol thanks Vin. I have been doing a lot of cardio for the past two months which has really lowered my belly size but my weight refuses to go much lower than 260. Which is fine I had just planned on going down a weight class. I'm just going to keep doing what I have been doing and see what happens.

    With the JMs you just need to be controled enough that you don't hyperextend your elbows


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  4. #4
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Lol thanks Vin. I have been doing a lot of cardio for the past two months which has really lowered my belly size but my weight refuses to go much lower than 260. Which is fine I had just planned on going down a weight class. I'm just going to keep doing what I have been doing and see what happens.

    With the JMs you just need to be controled enough that you don't hyperextend your elbows
    Are you doing just the 3-4 meals a day with carbs?


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  5. #5
    Undead Evil He-Man KarlMarx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    0
    I was watching the video and I was thinking, those floor presses aren't going all the way to the floor! What's he doing? Something new? Then I just realized that your triceps were huge and that was as far down as they could go! hahah. I was just thinking I was pretty jacked from hitting 230lbs--hopefully this will light a new fire under me.

    Great video. I'd love to see more posts like this. Short cut aways of a whole workout. It really helps to see what intensity and rhythm you do all the sets, not just the DE or ME ones. Gives me a better sense of how to approach my workouts--why not do it how the best guys with greatest results have done it?

    Keep it up!

  6. #6
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    Yep. Usually 4 a day.

    I've dropped my calories a bit as well.

    My problem before wasn't so much being 270+ I guess, but as much as me being so far out of shape. My BP was through the roof and my endurance sucked.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  7. #7
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    Great speed!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  8. #8
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post
    Great video. I'd love to see more posts like this. Short cut aways of a whole workout. It really helps to see what intensity and rhythm you do all the sets, not just the DE or ME ones. Gives me a better sense of how to approach my workouts--why not do it how the best guys with greatest results have done it?

    Keep it up!
    Sure thing! I'm more than happy to get short videos of the more entirety of my workouts


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,486
    I like the JM press on the floor. I need to try that.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

  10. #10
    Wannabebig Member C-Sobrino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Juan
    Posts
    84
    I second what Karl Marx said.

  11. #11
    Moderator Brian Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    12,815
    Awesome work Travis, I like those speed JM presses. Good Job!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

    *************************
    Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

    *************************
    Sponsored By:

    10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

  12. #12
    Senior Member McLaughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Superior, WI
    Posts
    738
    What do you mean by hyper extending your elbow?

    Trying not to die young.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    mn
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by McLaughlin View Post
    What do you mean by hyper extending your elbow?
    over extending the lockout.

  14. #14
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    Quote Originally Posted by McLaughlin View Post
    What do you mean by hyper extending your elbow?
    Quote Originally Posted by barbell01 View Post
    over extending the lockout.
    barbell01 is correct.

    Just hyper extending a knee can happen from a missed kick or poor running technique, with this movement, when you get the weight moving that quickly, you need to make sure you control it enough at the top.

    If I was to just let the weight move with it's entire momentum up to the top, when it slammed against my elbows end of range of motion, I can pull the ligaments and tendons very hard causing an injury.

    You just have to use caution is all I'm saying


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  15. #15
    Senior Member McLaughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Superior, WI
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    barbell01 is correct.

    Just hyper extending a knee can happen from a missed kick or poor running technique, with this movement, when you get the weight moving that quickly, you need to make sure you control it enough at the top.

    If I was to just let the weight move with it's entire momentum up to the top, when it slammed against my elbows end of range of motion, I can pull the ligaments and tendons very hard causing an injury.

    You just have to use caution is all I'm saying
    Interesting, so if my elbows hurt super bad after benching yesterday, maybe that could be the problem?

    Trying not to die young.

  16. #16
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    Quote Originally Posted by McLaughlin View Post
    Interesting, so if my elbows hurt super bad after benching yesterday, maybe that could be the problem?
    I guess it could be, but without seeing video of you benching it's kinda hard to say.

    Could be lots of things, form, grip, bands, etc. I'd hate to tell you that you were locking out too hard and then have you start shorting your reps lol.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  17. #17
    Senior Member McLaughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Superior, WI
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I guess it could be, but without seeing video of you benching it's kinda hard to say.

    Could be lots of things, form, grip, bands, etc. I'd hate to tell you that you were locking out too hard and then have you start shorting your reps lol.
    Hmm yeah, I can't make videos, I was doing it with my index finger on the ring part of the bar, and only 95 lbs (20 reps) I guess I'll just have to take it easy tomorrow and go from there.

    Trying not to die young.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    12,251
    great speed with 285 man thats serious
    2000 or bust

Similar Threads

  1. Up Your Bench Press 30lbs in 30 days!
    By Joe Black in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 572
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 08:59 AM
  2. 505x2, 525x1, 550x1 (PR) Bench Press (Raw) on 5-10-08 (with VIDEO)
    By Buffman in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 03:03 PM
  3. Westside 'Til You Die!
    By silles in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 05:49 AM
  4. Why DE Bench is important
    By vdizenzo in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 12:20 PM
  5. The Bench Press
    By Adam in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 11:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •