The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

2 Bicep Questions

I have two questions about bicep training. I am a 19 year old beginner who has trained before on and off but really now have decided to get dedicated and really stick it out for the long haul. My bicep workout is simple but "seems" to give me a good workout. With freeweights:

Seated Curl: 3x9

Seated Hammer Curl: 3x9

I have been training now again for 3 weeks and been dedicated to being in the gym everyday to do my routine, today i worked my biceps for the 3rd time since i started up again and i've had several problems. My first problem is that i seem to be stuck at one weight. I started back up with nothing too heavy 15 pounds on either hand and feel like i have been "stuck" at this weight. I've tried completely starting my routine with a higher weight and trying to force my way through it but finding after one set i cant even get the weight up again. Today i tried warming up with the lower weight and moving back to the higher weight only to encounter the same problem, i could -not- get the weight up. I was wondering if this is something to be worried about or is this normal? Any suggestions into overcoming this problem would be greatly appreciated.

My second problem is while i am stuck on this one weight i do see my biceps devloping, the only problem is it seems like the only part of my bicep really developing is the lower portion of my bicep. When flexed during/after workout it seems the peak of my bicep is slightly lower than the middle. I have made a point to concentrate on form first over weight and have run into this problem also. Seeing how i am not an experienced weight lifter i am somewhat discouraged/confused into approaches i should take to solve these problems, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

dave

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

well its good that you havent turned into an obsessed biceps pumping machine, what else does your routine consist of? maybe you should try some different exercises, maybe with an ezybar or somethign like that. im no expert, someone else should hae some more solid advice.

i just noticed that you have been in the gym everyday for 3 weeks, post your routine, maybe you are overtraining??
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

You may want to try some different exercises. I think most people, who are really concerned with their biceps lean toward straight barbell curls. And maybe you should try for less reps with each set. If you start at 9 (which I think is a little strange), then your next set, with about 5lbs more should only count 7 reps. Try a 10,8,6 routine. This is just my opinion. I'm no expert. You may want to check out people's routines in their online journals. It could be helpful.

Ok thanks for the tips so far, i'll try that.

My Weekly routine is:

Mon: Chest/Tri
    Tue: Cardio
    Wed: Leg/Back
    Thur: Cardio
    Fri: Biceps/Shoulders
    Sat: off
    Sun: off

I dont think im doing anything too intense, but i may be wrong...
    Last edited by davetha1; 04-26-2002 at 01:46 PM.

Banned
    I don't know if it will work fo you, but I have had good success with 21s or 'platoons' for biceps work. I sometimes use DBs, sometimes use an EZ curl bar, but my biceps has been responding quite well; the biceps also gets hit when you do most back stuff, so in my opinion it's not strictly important to target it individually when you're just starting out anyway.

If you're curling 15# dbs now, you may have to drop to 10# to get 21s done.

Good luck with your workouts!!
    Callahan

21 repetitions are starting to get at the outside edge of what might easily generate strength gains or hypertrophy. Callahans advice about compound movements is a good one though - try some heavy negatives as well with curls and chins.

I'll give the 21's a shot, a friend of mine recommended the same thing. My main concern is i do not want to develop the muscle wrong and have poor biceps.
    Last edited by davetha1; 04-26-2002 at 01:53 PM.

I would change the routine to where you do back and biceps on the same day.

Thanks for all the good advice guys! I think im going to switch my routine around a bit so its similar to the WBB routine.

if you wanna big peak do some preacher curls....worked for me!

Originally posted by bigassdan
    *smack*
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Blue veined member !
    lmao @ chicken.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

Originally posted by bigassdan
    sigh.
    "Let's hope the ship has a captain, in other words, since we're not taking part in what's going on."
    -Noam Chomsky
    "It's like putting pearls on swine. You can dress up a pig... but it's still a pig... isn't it? oink oink oink..oink oink"
    -Henry Rollins
    Push the envelope... watch it bend..
    -Tool
    "In the valley of the shadow of death... I fear no one, because i am the baddest mother****er in the valley!"

I'ts not that i WANT a big peak i just noticed it was lower than it seemed which was why i was asking.

decease, RIP
    Originally posted by davetha1
    My main concern is i do not want to develop the muscle wrong and have poor biceps.
    You can't develop it wrong. Either it gets bigger or it doesn't, the rest is genetics.
    big.

and thats what i've been learning!

Catchin Wreck
    One word SUPERSET!!!!
    Suck on this potential and choke on my persistance!!