The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TyJ's Journal

TyJ's Journal

Questions:

1) Calories: Don't Know. Diet: Eating (almost) everything in sight

2) No injuries. Occasional knee and shoulder pain but nothing that stops me from benching and squatting heavy. Nothing a little foam rolling can't cure.

3) Home Gym. Power cage, rack of dumbells, cable crossovers, lat pulldown, t-bar, GHR, prowler, rings, ropes, farmers handles.

4) Workout days: everyday for the most part. M-F for sure, I usually take Saturday or Sunday off to spend with the girl.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Starting Stats:

So I ended a successful cut in October and got down to 160 at about 8% bodyfat. Since then I've been on a dirty bulk (holidays) and haven't actually weighed myself in a couple months (my scale broke). Anyway, I'll be pickin up a scale this week and can only guess my weight to be about 175lbs. On to the lifts:

I've been on Wendler's 5/3/1 for 2 months now. Here are my most recent lifts.

Squat: 270x10, 285x6 (By far my weak area)
    Bench: 240x10, 255x7 (My strong point. Too much benching in High School?)
    Dead: 330x10, 350x7
    Press: 155x5

My main goal here is to just get BIG and STRONG. I know I can get cut.. now I need to see if I can get HUGE!

Edit: Forgot to note.. I'm a whopping 5'8
    Last edited by thanky0ujesus; 02-17-2010 at 02:49 AM.

Question for Paul:

I'm looking for some supplement recommendations. I'm a bit limited on funds but I have some to spare, so I'm willing to spend the buck to really take advantage of this opportunity to get huge. My unemployment benefits were just exhausted (hopefully I'll qualify for the recent extension).

Anyway, I'm not too worried about being lean. I'm guessing I'm around 15% at this point, but I'll post pics soon so you can see where I'm at. My main goal is to just pack on slabs of meat. My diet has basically been what's available to me living at home. I try to make the best out of a bad situation. I try to time my carbs in the mornings and around my workout and try to get adequate protein intake.

My main diet tools are RTD Protein shakes from Costco, raw almonds, Fresh and Easy Greek Yogurt (24g per 8oz). Supplement-wise I have some left over Pepto-pro from a past purchase which I use during my workouts and as a protein pulse before meals, bulk creatine ethyl ester malate, bulk beta alanine, bulk L-Leucine, Now Super Enzymes, and Costco fish oil tabs and D3 (various other Kirkland brand vitamins as well).

I'm looking to purchase some AtLarge protein. What would you recommend for my goals? Should I go with some Maximus or just stick with the Nitrean? I'll obviously be taking some Results as well.

As far as the best bang for your buck on supplements.

I would just get some Creatine 500, ETS, and some Nitrean if you find yourself needing convenient protein source.

Just remember, the diet you follow will be the largest determining factor in your progress. Supplements can definitely help. Creatine increase intracellular capacity and gives you a little extra size and strength/endurance during supplementation. ETS helps with deep sleep and recovery. If you need a protein powder I can highly recommend Nitrean for both taste and quality. If you don't have trouble getting ~175-200g of protein from diet then you don't NEED it though. Personally I wouldn't be able to live without it since I eat meals of basically whey shake poured over cereal, or oatmeal with a scoop stirred in at the end for convenience and cost effectiveness.

As far as cheap bulk foods. Rice, Pasta, Oatmeal, Cereal are all great cheap carb sources, For fats its big tubs of peanut butter and EV Olive Oil mostly, for protein I eat whey, bulk chicken breasts, and a lot of trace proteins from my other foods.

Hope that helps somewhat. I'm here to help you so any questions you may have, feel free to ask.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Okay, here's some pics. I'll be the first to admit I've let myself go since the cut, due to the sloppy diet. I'll be dialing it in closer during these next 3 months. My back is definitely lagging but I'm just finishing up a 6-week back specialization routine. I'll be focusing on thickening up.

Also, I know a lot of guys are already jumping into the routine or will be starting on Monday. I'm just finishing up a second phase of 5/3/1 and should be deloading next week. Would you recommend I go ahead and deload next week or jump straight into the new program on Monday?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking pretty good man, I wouldn't mind being at this level after 12 weeks.

How long have you been working out?

Thanks man. I guess technically you can say I've been lifting for 10 years since sophomore gym in high school. So considering that, my progress BLOWS! Although I was like 100 pounds then. As they say, consistency truly is key. Which was completely absent through almost 6 years of college (super duper senior). I was basically on the original WBB program all throughout that time. My real growth began after I graduated college (Dec 06). After a few months of traveling the world to drink and fornicate myself stupid, I came home and started doing my research. I began experimenting with CrossFit and got skinny and lame. After that I began lifting heavy and reading stuff on Waterbury and Westside and finally to 5/3/1. And here I am, hoping to finally get some true mass.

Sorry for the long story. I guess a simple answer wouldn't suffice haha. Anyway, good luck to you bro and thanks for chiming in. We can all use the extra support.

Quote Originally Posted by thanky0ujesus View Post
    Thanks man. I guess technically you can say I've been lifting for 10 years since sophomore gym in high school. So considering that, my progress BLOWS! Although I was like 100 pounds then. As they say, consistency truly is key. Which was completely absent through almost 6 years of college (super duper senior). I was basically on the original WBB program all throughout that time. My real growth began after I graduated college (Dec 06). After a few months of traveling the world to drink and fornicate myself stupid, I came home and started doing my research. I began experimenting with CrossFit and got skinny and lame. After that I began lifting heavy and reading stuff on Waterbury and Westside and finally to 5/3/1. And here I am, hoping to finally get some true mass.

Sorry for the long story. I guess a simple answer wouldn't suffice haha. Anyway, good luck to you bro and thanks for chiming in. We can all use the extra support.
    That's pretty good man, you'll see massive improvements with this program, it'll be nice to see your progress at the end.

I don't think you are looking bad at all. You have to realize that a good 5lbs and what looks like an extra 2-3% bodyfat is bloat.

Within a week of switching to a cut diet you will look much leaner.

Your see food diet will work, just make sure you gain NO MORE than 1lb a week. More than 1lb and you are asking for unnecessary fat gain.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

The Plan

The Workout

I'm planning to hit each bodypart twice a week so I'm going with Program 2 (ABAB). My primary focus upperbody wise will be my back. My strength is in my chest so I'll be doing that last. I will also focus on upper chest so more incline work than flat.

The Supplements

I'm waiting on my ALN order which consists of:
    Maximus
    Nitrean
    Results
    ETS

Other supplements I have will include:
    Beta Alanine
    Creatine Ethyl Ester Malate (I plan to drop this once I get Results)
    PeptoPro for workout nutrition and pulsing
    Occasional RTD shakes (Premeir from Costco)
    Leucine

The Diet

I'll be eating whatever I feel like during the first week to monitor what I've been doing these past few months. I'll post some diets through the week and then dial it in next week.

Conditioning

Off days I'll be incorporating some prowlers, farmers, sledges etc, if I feel up for it. I'll utilize some complexes as well. The Cosgrove complex is by far my favorite. I plan on running the Warrior Dash here in Southern California on April 11th, so I'd like to keep myself fit in addition to getting big so I'll be trying to increase my g-flux to accommodate. I also play a few hours of flag football every week or two on Saturdays.

Other Stuff

I have a secondary goal of getting my grip strength up so I'll be playing with some grippers that I recently bought. I hope to be able to grip my #2 CoC by the end of the 12 weeks. I can currently only grip my trainer for 8 reps. Mobility and flexibility are also weak points for me so I hope to give more attention to that.

Workout A (First Day)

Exercises were done in the order listed. I alternated push and pull and prioritized certain bodyparts.

Bent Row
    Warmup - Bar x 6
    Feel Sets (1 rep) - 95, 115, 135
    Work Sets (6 reps) - 155, 165, 175, 185
    Main Set - 195 x 6, 2, 2, 2

Military Press (Standing)
    WU - Bar x 6
    Feel - 65, 85, 95
    Work - 105, 115, 125, 135
    Main - 145 x 6, 2, 2, 2

Pull up/ Lat Pulldown
    WU - 50 x 6
    Feel - 80, 100, 120
    Work - 140, BW, +10
    Main - +20 x 6, 2, 2, 2

Incline Bench
    WU - Bar x 6
    Feel - 85, 115, 135
    Work - 155, 175, 195, 215
    Main - 225 x 6, 2, 2, 2

Skulls
    WU - Bar x 6
    Feel - 30, 40, 60
    Work - 70, 80, 90, 100
    Main - 110 x 6, 2, 2, 2

Initial Impressions

Coming off Wendler's 5/3/1, I find it more difficult to hit higher weights as the amount of volume during ramping is greater than on 5/3/1. In addition, we're also hitting multiple 6RM in one workout versus concentrating only on one in 5/3/1. I have faith in the program and hope the extra work pays off.
    Last edited by thanky0ujesus; 02-22-2010 at 06:09 PM.

I should also note: I initially estimated my weight to be 175 pounds. I just got hold of a scale and my actual weight is... 183.5. My goal by the end of the 12 weeks is to be at a solid 195 to 200 lbs.
    Last edited by thanky0ujesus; 02-22-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Okay, so I decided to log calories for today.

Total Calories: 3,714
    Fat: 165g
    Carb: 225
    Protein: 321

I had no idea I was hitting those kind of numbers on protein. The fat isn't usually that high but there was pot roast and it was lookin oh so good swimming in that gravy. Here was the diet for today.

Meal 1:
    Premier protein shake
    60g oats
    4 whole eggs in 1/2 oz EVOO

Workout:
    Dextrose:Whey (40:30)

Meal 2:
    PeptoPro (12g)
    8oz cooked white rice (it's an asian thing)
    8oz new york strip
    4oz greek yogurt
    1/2 oz almonds

Meal 3:
    PeptoPro (12g)
    8oz pot roast
    4oz white rice
    2oz white potato
    2oz gravy
    1/2 oz almonds

Meal 4:
    Premier Protein Shake
    4oz greek yogurt
    1oz almonds
    Last edited by thanky0ujesus; 02-22-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Yup, Wendler's 5/3/1 is a great concept, and in theory you could play around with it for the rest of your training days. But you're here! It'll take some adjusting, but after a couple sessions you'll notice that in terms of feel they're really not too different, in that you should be raring to go for the next session.

Bare in mind that because there's no forced progression (you don't have a specifc weight to hit) that you don't need to struggle beyond what you're capable of that day. Don't fear the 6RM! It's the best for the day, not the best ever! Although somedays your best ever will just happen, don't sweat it if it doesn't.

Nothin wrong with a little gravy baby! LOL
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

Looking forward to seeing your progress mate
    She lied.... SIZE MATTERS!

Quote Originally Posted by SquareHead View Post
    Nothin wrong with a little gravy baby! LOL
    Guilty again today. LOL. LEFTOVER! Had to ride the gravy train again today.

Diet was similar to yesterday. Will post macros again tomorrow.

I have to say, the workout is having its effects on me already. I'm sore like I haven't been in a while. Partly because I haven't hit incline bench and bent rows in a while, but I think mostly because of the new stimulus from the rep scheme. I can definitely see myself making huge gains on this.

Today was conditioning day. Was very sore so weight was light.

Cosgrove complex
    Reps: 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    Weight: 95 lbs
    Rest: 60 secs
    Last edited by thanky0ujesus; 02-23-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Diet 2.23.10

Calories: 3051
    C/P/F: 207/246/135 (27/33/40)

Not clean today. Oats and eggs for breakfast, pot roast and rice for lunch, gyro for dinner, 3 chicken thighs for 4th meal

Sleep - 5 hours

Started doing some work under the table with my old boss on a construction site. Starting next week I'll be on site from 7am-4pm so I'll have to pack a days worth of lunch. Hopefully I get my sleep on track before then.

Workout B

Back Squat
    Air x 10
    Bar x 6
    Feel - 135, 185
    Ramp - 225, 245
    Work - 265 x 6, 2, 2, 2

My previous max was 285 for 6, but the ramping seemed to tire me out more. Plus the lack of sleep, I wasn't on my A game

BB Curl
    Stick x 10
    Feel - 20, 45, 65
    Ramp - 75, 85
    Work - 95 x 6, 2, 2, 2

Deadlift
    Feel - 95, 135, 185, 225
    Ramp - 275, 295, 325
    Work - 355 x 6, 2, 2, 2

I did these touch-and-go style

Standing Calf Raise
    Air x 10
    Bar x 6
    Feel - 135, 185
    Ramp - 225, 275, 315
    Work - 365 x 6, 2, 2 ,2

Since I workout at home, I don't have a dedicated calf machine so I did them standing in the power rack. They felt awkward as I'm not used to them. Guilty, yes, of not working my calves. If someone can recommend a way to properly load my calves, it would be appreciated. Also, I realized after that I did not do the slow 5 second negative as directed.

Cable Crunch
    20 x 10
    Feel - 50, 100, 125
    Ramp - 150, 170
    Work - 190 x 6, 2, 2, 2

Overall I felt my performance was okay. I feel I could've done better but I don't function well on 5 hours of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by musclemick View Post
    Looking forward to seeing your progress mate
    Thanks for the support!

Still awesome numbers, tho!
    Last edited by levensok; 02-24-2010 at 09:01 PM.

My previous max was 285 for 6, but the ramping seemed to tire me out more. Plus the lack of sleep, I wasn't on my A game
    Overall I felt my performance was okay. I feel I could've done better but I don't function well on 5 hours of sleep.
    Mate, don't sweat it, good and bad days happen and performance can vary drastically between them, throw in a particularly poor night's sleep and performance can take an even bigger hit. What I'm trying to say is even with consistent sleep, eating and hydration, performance can vary, chuck in an additional factor and you can perform like a completely different person.

There's another session coming up and you've done what your body was capable of doing that day - you're not going backwards. Tom made a good point elsewhere - you don't need to progress every session, the weights don't need to go up for a training effect.

Thanks Daniel, I've been really sore from that workout for the following 3 days already so I know I did some work. Just a question on recovery: should we work through our soreness? Or rest an additional day if we're still sore? I did my workout B again today and worked through the soreness and seemed to perform strong still.

Soreness is not fully understood (not even close) but as long as it's not debilitating you should follow the program as you did.You'll generally be surprised at the disconnect between what your soreness feels like it'll allow you to do and what you're actually capable of. Good job.