Page 1 of 98 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigger, Stronger, Fatter

Bigger, Stronger, Fatter

Basically, I am starting a new log since all I did was moan and complain in the last one.

I have my first meet (unequipped) on Dec 5th and at the moment it is going to take a miracle to break 1300. I will be using an ME/DE upper lower split for the run up.

DE Bench tonight........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by -JM-; 02-03-2011 at 09:20 AM.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

It's cool, you have officially left the land of vag. You are allowed to start a new journal!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

No moaning or complaining in this one then? I dunno how I feel about that....

Ahhh well, gl with the new log and the premeet training!
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Basically, I am starting a new log since all I did was moan and complain in the last one.
    Damn... I think I need a new log too then...
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    It's cool, you have officially left the land of vag. You are allowed to start a new journal!
    LMAO...Thanks man, that means a lot actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    No moaning or complaining in this one then? I dunno how I feel about that....

Ahhh well, gl with the new log and the premeet training!
    Cheers Dave! weeeeelll, maybe a wee bit a bitchin' here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    Damn... I think I need a new log too then...
    Ha ha, maybe I meant excuses lol.

Thanks a lot fellers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by -JM-; 02-08-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

The only reason I never posted in your last journal is cause I was waiting for you to quit your bitching...sooo, I am hesitantly gonna start checking this one out.

Just kidding, well..about the bitching...GL with the 1300 bud!

I'd like to lodge a complaint about your noncomplaining. Although I think you should've stuck with the old log till your meet and THEN switched.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    The only reason I never posted in your last journal is cause I was waiting for you to quit your bitching...sooo, I am hesitantly gonna start checking this one out.

Just kidding, well..about the bitching...GL with the 1300 bud!
    Ha ha thanks man. I am not being tempted down the road of negativity here. No point trying.....

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    I'd like to lodge a complaint about your noncomplaining. Although I think you should've stuck with the old log till your meet and THEN switched.
    Your complaint has been duly noted.

.......and I KNEW you would say that about sticking with the 531 and then switching afterwards. What I have planned out isnt too big of a shift. I just think with two heavy days and two DE days will be better than what was 4 heavy days with the 531.

-DE Bench-

stretching and rolling

DE Bench
    • 180x3 (x8) 3 grips

3 Board
    w/ 6" foam
    • 225x3
    • 270x3
    • 290x3

DB Rear Laterals
    • 4x10

H Rolls
    • 3x10

Rope Pressdowns/Staright Bar Curls
    • 3x15 each

- - - -

All good here.

It was working. You were getting stronger. What is going to work better than that? You're falling into a trap that you shouldn't. Changing stuff that shouldn't be. I'm not hoping you fail, quite the opposite, but I fell into that trap for a long time too and wish I hadn't. Either way, I'll still stop in occasionally to be my usual gruff self.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Surprised to see the new journal, lol - all is well that ends well man but you've been doing damn good all along.

Habingus
    I would listen to Tone on this one, remember last time you switched? Either will work if you're training hard though so good luck.
    "I PLAY BY MY OWN RULES"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    It was working. You were getting stronger. What is going to work better than that? You're falling into a trap that you shouldn't. Changing stuff that shouldn't be. I'm not hoping you fail, quite the opposite, but I fell into that trap for a long time too and wish I hadn't. Either way, I'll still stop in occasionally to be my usual gruff self.
    Thanks Tone. I truly appreciate your support and telling me how it is. I am going with my instinct on this one in that I need to handle heavier weights. I also want to capitalise on recovery time. I felt like I had been hit by a train last sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Surprised to see the new journal, lol - all is well that ends well man but you've been doing damn good all along.
    Ha thanks Coke. Kind words man, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
    I would listen to Tone on this one, remember last time you switched? Either will work if you're training hard though so good luck.
    Dingus thanks man. I think you also highlighted a key point in that as long as I am busting my balls I should be grand.

I don't appreciate you stealing my gimmick of changing routines every week

More seriously good luck with the new plan
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

John 15:13 KJB

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by EatMyWay2TheTop View Post
    I don't appreciate you stealing my gimmick of changing routines every week

More seriously good luck with the new plan
    Ha ha....I hope this decision doesnt **** me up.

Why did you decide to change? Was the slow progression from the 5/3/1 just boring or something? I also feel like I could be using much heavier weights, but I'm being patient and letting the program increase the weights slowly and steadily for me hopefully to eventually surpass where I would be at if I were to try to be more agressive in my loading (if that makes any sense to you).
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

-ME Squat/Deadlift-

stretching

Box Squat
    parallel
    • 135x5
    • 175x5
    • 225x5
    • 265x3
    • 305x2
    • 335x1 PR (+15lbs)
    • 355x1 PR (+40lbs) edit: (+35lbs)

Wide Stance Arched Back GMs
    • 135x10
    • 155x10
    • 175x10

Hanging Leg Raises
    • 4x10

- - - -

Decent day. I would like to think had a bit more left on the squats.
    Last edited by -JM-; 10-21-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Why did you decide to change? Was the slow progression from the 5/3/1 just boring or something? I also feel like I could be using much heavier weights, but I'm being patient and letting the program increase the weights slowly and steadily for me hopefully to eventually surpass where I would be at if I were to try to be more agressive in my loading (if that makes any sense to you).
    No, I love 531 and I have made great gains on it. I just want to get used to heavier weights over the next 6 weeks. Patience is definately the key for 531 however. I expect to go back to it at some stage.

Huge jump on the box squats, way to raise up!!

335x1 PR (+15lbs)
    355x1 PR (+40lbs)
    Jeeze... strong PRs!
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Nice box squat PR bud...355 is awesome!

Sometimes its nice to start a fresh log. Does a lot psychologically. Have a good time back on the Westside template. Eat those PRs up and when you're ready, come on back to the 5/3/1. I do think you can still get heavy training on 5/3/1 though. I've recently adjusted my numbers to be more aggressive with it and keep things closer to 5, 3 and 1 reps during the cycle. When I top out, I top out, oh well. I will just adjust numbers again at that point but I hate high rep **** and am like you in that I enjoy working with the heavier loads to push the limits. BTW, awesome box squatting, bro!
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Huge jump on the box squats, way to raise up!!
    Cheers Coke!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    Jeeze... strong PRs!
    Thanks Pete! I suppose the 355 was only a 20lb PR since I just did 335. Ha ha. Im a douche.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Nice box squat PR bud...355 is awesome!
    Thanks a lot duder!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Sometimes its nice to start a fresh log. Does a lot psychologically. Have a good time back on the Westside template. Eat those PRs up and when you're ready, come on back to the 5/3/1. I do think you can still get heavy training on 5/3/1 though. I've recently adjusted my numbers to be more aggressive with it and keep things closer to 5, 3 and 1 reps during the cycle. When I top out, I top out, oh well. I will just adjust numbers again at that point but I hate high rep **** and am like you in that I enjoy working with the heavier loads to push the limits. BTW, awesome box squatting, bro!
    That is my plan K. I will venture back to 531 but hopefully not as quickly as last time ha ha! What you mentioned about keeping the reps closer to the prescribed was my other option. Both should work as long as the efforts are there. Thanks for the props too K.

-ME Toothache-

Root canal treatment on one of my wisdom teeth for 1h20m yesterday. Good times.

I got an infection that peaked on wednesday evening. Didnt eat anything on Wednesday and only a few protein shakes yesterday. My two year old could squat more than me right now. Gonna pack down as much food as possible today and hopefully train tomorrow.

Awesome squatting man! 355 is no joke!!!! Yikes, I've never had root canal. Hopefully I never have to either....it doesn't sound like much fun. You'll be back in no time though.