The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 98 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Thats awesome!!! I'd be into a DLing shirt.

Anyway...nice session man...looks like you got a nice healthy set of squats in...sucks about the hamstring deal though.

And I hear you about the ripped callous...that **** always sucks...but you got some nice pulls in either way!
    Thanks a lot borach! The callouses needed to come off anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
    Pearl Jam is awesome. I've never seen them live and heard they are sick, I am very jealous of you.
    Ha ha, I am super excited. While away yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    I need to be doing some GMs too...session was solid just the same guy.
    Thanks Coke. The guys around here doing 3 and evn 4pps GMs just amazes me. I am sure you are one of them lol!
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Cycle 14 Press 555

Stretching and stuff

OH Press
    worked up to
    145x10....meh

Dips
    BWx22,15,13,10 - 60reps

Ghetto T Bars
    2pltsx15
    3pltsx10
    3.5pltsx10
    4pltsx10

HS Leg Press Rows
    2pltsx12 (x4)

DB Preacher Curls
    30sx10,8,6,6

Rope PressDowns
    4x15

- - - -

I didnt even work out %s for OH Press. I was pretty beat up after the other sessions during the week which is great. Rest and stretching until Tuesday suh-weet.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Looks like a nice upper workout...lots of dips and lots of rows! And 145x10 is impressive on the OHP...enjoy the down time...I know I have enjoyed mine over the last two days.

That is a fine effort for the upper body guy.

Hope that hamstring is alright, bro. Still some great squatting and rack pulling though. Bench for 7 reps back there was outstanding as well. What's your best OHP? 145 for 10 is nutty, lol.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Looks like a nice upper workout...lots of dips and lots of rows! And 145x10 is impressive on the OHP...enjoy the down time...I know I have enjoyed mine over the last two days.
    Thanks mate. I intend too.

That is a fine effort for the upper body guy.
    Thanks big guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Hope that hamstring is alright, bro. Still some great squatting and rack pulling though. Bench for 7 reps back there was outstanding as well. What's your best OHP? 145 for 10 is nutty, lol.
    Cheers K. Yeah it seems fine. Same as when I tweaked my left one at my butt. Annoying, it leaves you thinking should I, shouldnt I. I went ahead and did a few things afterwards. GMs were out though. My best OH Press, must be around 150-155 x10. I cant remember. My other log is gone. I STILL hate that lift.

Solid work in here the past couple days, manly. Sucks you tweaked the hammy, how is it now? Any better? Nice OH pressing, and good dip total in a workout. Feel any DOMS from that?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Damn dude, the day when I say "meh" to a 145 x 10 shoulder press will be a good day for me! I'm not exactly sure what weights you typically work with in the 10 rep range for that lift, but that's pretty damn good IMO.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Solid work in here the past couple days, manly. Sucks you tweaked the hammy, how is it now? Any better? Nice OH pressing, and good dip total in a workout. Feel any DOMS from that?
    Cheers Jed! My hamstrings and hips are weak and tight. Moreso than they have been. Right now, I dont have any pain in the one I tweaked but I will see when I squat later.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Damn dude, the day when I say "meh" to a 145 x 10 shoulder press will be a good day for me! I'm not exactly sure what weights you typically work with in the 10 rep range for that lift, but that's pretty damn good IMO.
    Thanks a lot Bri. I have been stuck around this weight for OH Press forever. My bench has also stalled pretty badly, in fact it slid backwards slighlty. I am actually going to drop the OH BB press and do some High Inc DBs for the Military day and see what happens. Wont know unless I try.

Cycle 14 Deadlift 333

Extra long WU for Lower Back, hips and hams.

Conv Deadlift
    worked up to
    430x8 PR

DE Box Squats 12'' Box
    130x5
    175x2 (x2)
    220x2 (x3)
    270x2 (x3)
    220x2 (x2)

Wide Stance Arched Back GMs
    110x10
    130x10
    155x10
    175x10

Actually went cross eyed on a few reps of the last set. These are serious beezness.

DB Side Bends
    each side
    75x12
    80x12
    90x12
    100x12

Pulldown Abs
    kneeling
    4x15

Leg Press Calves
    lots of different sets and reps

Video

- - - -

Good session. Got a really great spot to pull beside a treadmill because Hardcore Harry and the Biceps Posse were doing some kind of 'walking deads' (thanks Pete) out of the rack, with straps, with 220lbs on the bar. I dont normally fuss with what anyone else is doing in the gym but these dicks just annoyed me, actually, I am one to talk after last week ha ha...

Last edited by -JM-; 12-15-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Lmao the ole 'walking deads'. Really good session bro. 430x8 is some serious weight movement. Hope you gave some extra loud grunts to let the douschebags know what's up haha
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Banned
    430x8? damnit you are one upping me each time. 440 is on the schedule this week....... definitely wont get 9 of that haha.

I am sure you're going to feel GREAT tomorrow...man that is a lot of back work!! Lookin great Flynn!!!

Like them big deads, did damn good overall.

It wasn't the 10 you promised but it was a solid fu(king effort. Great pulling bro. I love that you pulled that right next to a bunch of freaking pu55ies doing strapped walk out deads with 220. Lookin good Flynn. Keep that sh1t up!

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    Lmao the ole 'walking deads'. Really good session bro. 430x8 is some serious weight movement. Hope you gave some extra loud grunts to let the douschebags know what's up haha
    I cant remember if I grunted. I hope so though ha ha. Thanks for the encouraging words Bri!

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    430x8? damnit you are one upping me each time. 440 is on the schedule this week....... definitely wont get 9 of that haha.
    Thats the plan....Im glad your sessions seem to fall the day before mine. Gives me a target he he...

I am sure you're going to feel GREAT tomorrow...man that is a lot of back work!! Lookin great Flynn!!!
    Thanks mate! Not too bad today actually. Tomorrow could be a different story though...

Like them big deads, did damn good overall.
    Thanks for the encouragment Coke. Always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    It wasn't the 10 you promised but it was a solid fu(king effort. Great pulling bro. I love that you pulled that right next to a bunch of freaking pu55ies doing strapped walk out deads with 220. Lookin good Flynn. Keep that sh1t up!
    I am a failure and a liar. Ha, thanks a lot Tone!

Cycle 14 Bench 333

Trained at Centaur. Tried to stretch and what not. Crap WU really. Gym was baltic. I could see my breath and the bars were like ice.

Bench
    worked up to
    260x5

Set up in the rack. Used the skinniest ricketiest piece of **** adjustable bench. Why not.

Floor Press
    155x10
    195x10
    220x10
    255x5 fail

DB Rows
    each arm
    95x10
    105x10 (x3)
    125x10

Hammer Curls
    3x12

Straight Bar Pressdowns
    4x15

- - - -

I have a ****ty headcold. Burning raspy throat, streaming nose and eyes and a ball of pressure in my head. WTF? I have only gotten over the same thing about two weeks ago. Moan moan moan........

I know exactly what you mean when you say the bar felt like ice! I hate lifting in this cold ****ty weather. Really missing summer time.

Great benching and awesome floors, bro. Those rows are looking monster too. You should pic up some vids of some of your accessory lifts sometime as well, I'm always interested in seeing how everyone else does their stuff.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Very nice deads there bro! Sucks about being sick, everyone's getting it though ya know? Maybe it would benefit you to take it easy for a few days even though you just got done a deload. I know it's a b**** to do, but it may be the best thing you can do if you're just feeling like s***.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Very nice deadlift workout the other day. You smashed that shiz. I agree, GM's are serious, especially with the weight your using! Sucks about the recent arctic workout, I hate those types of gyms. It really just sucks!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Eff you and your 430x8 haha. Every time I get a DL rep pr I come in here and you've beat it.

Bad crack about the cold mate, it's that time of year, especially bad to get it twice in such a short space of time. Good workout regardless though, very impressive DB rows, wish I went to a gym that had DB's up to 60kg!

Nice pressing session! I couldnt imagine doing anything on that level in the cold...way to push through it. I hope the head cold clears up...last week I had a respiratory cold/allergies...felt like ****e. Good work mate!!

Did pretty good up in that wayward gym...hope the bs symptons pass through swiftly bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    I know exactly what you mean when you say the bar felt like ice! I hate lifting in this cold ****ty weather. Really missing summer time.

Great benching and awesome floors, bro. Those rows are looking monster too. You should pic up some vids of some of your accessory lifts sometime as well, I'm always interested in seeing how everyone else does their stuff.
    Thanks K. I will defo put up some vids. I got a new camera phone with 8gb memory which is pretty sweet. i did those Floor Presses with my knees bent. I would have been good for more weight had I not been doing sets of 10, although I prefered that volume.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Very nice deads there bro! Sucks about being sick, everyone's getting it though ya know? Maybe it would benefit you to take it easy for a few days even though you just got done a deload. I know it's a b**** to do, but it may be the best thing you can do if you're just feeling like s***.
    Cheers Bri! Yeah, having the cold sucks. It seems to only be from the neck up this time. I have been eating well and feel strong physically so hopefully I am getting through the worst of the snot and watery eyes stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Very nice deadlift workout the other day. You smashed that shiz. I agree, GM's are serious, especially with the weight your using! Sucks about the recent arctic workout, I hate those types of gyms. It really just sucks!
    Cheers Jed! I reckon working in crap conditions will make us better in the long run. Like in Rocky IV LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by mattburns View Post
    Eff you and your 430x8 haha. Every time I get a DL rep pr I come in here and you've beat it.

Bad crack about the cold mate, it's that time of year, especially bad to get it twice in such a short space of time. Good workout regardless though, very impressive DB rows, wish I went to a gym that had DB's up to 60kg!
    Thanks Matt. I think you have a bigger 1rm than me. I reckon you have more reps left in the tank!!

Nice pressing session! I couldnt imagine doing anything on that level in the cold...way to push through it. I hope the head cold clears up...last week I had a respiratory cold/allergies...felt like ****e. Good work mate!!
    Thanks B. Headcolds are teh suck. Best to get it out of the way now though. I always pick soemthing up around xmas except I think its from drinking a lot and having no immune system ha ha!

Did pretty good up in that wayward gym...hope the bs symptons pass through swiftly bro.
    Thanks a lot Coke. I havent trained in that gym in a few months. It is most certainly wayward. Especially the sulphur smell that eminates when I turn the shower on.....

Training in the cold totally blows. Props for getting through especially when you were feeling like crap. Nice floor pressing too
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes