The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4888969798
Results 2,426 to 2,447 of 2447
    Damn Flynn - you got the popparazzi all over you now, too. You are a god among men, brother! Keep smashin weight dude. It seems like everything's going well for you, glad to see that.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    Jesus your numbers are really starting to jump. Looking strong. Do yourself a favor and deload the whole week. Its sucks but its needed. Great job lately
    Cheers BC. I have not squatted this week and I have been doing a lot of stretching/mobility stuff. Aside from anything I feel great from the mobility stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Yep, deload bro!!

That incline is...........BIG.

Hey I really think you can go over 600.......you look strong on that opener.........really think 615 is yours!!!!!
    Cheers Nick. I was actually stronger with the previous time I took the 578. That last time I was just off benching and squatting heavy back to back. That incline was no probs even after all the rep stuff prior to it. I have never gone for singles on incline. Just felt strong on Saturday(for me).

Shit 244 (just read that), that food is doing its job ha ha..........your a unit now!!

You really have been putting in the effort and its payed off pretty quick.....well done!
    Sure is. I am starting to grow again. My sis in law was home at the weekend and my wife said that as soon as her sis saw me she leaned into my wife and whispered 'justin is getting huge'. I dont feel huge though but compared to normal folks I suppose I am a bit larger than average. I only saw her six weeks ago too, lol. The eating is getting to be such a chore sometimes, especially since I am not just eating pizza and burrittos all the time as I had done.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    I don't think the bar stopped either. But you can see where you dipped under the bar and drove with your legs more. What fed are you lifting in again? I'm not sure if I already asked you this or not, lol
    Its IPF Brian. Strict as hell I saw all the same things you did. I wouldnt kid myself for a second. Hopefully hitting it fresh will make a big difference. Thanks for keeping me in check, Hopp. I really appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Damn Flynn - you got the popparazzi all over you now, too. You are a god among men, brother! Keep smashin weight dude. It seems like everything's going well for you, glad to see that.
    Thanks Jedley. That photographer was annoying as hell. Kind words, big man. I am not even nearly that but maybe someday.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by JustinMcK View Post
    I know I commit to this every week and I must sound like a fucking halfwit moron but doing these things alone (apart from some very helpful gym rats) up until now has been far from ideal.
    I lol'd at that...dude you've made a TON of progress and I think that built you an above average platform to continue building off of...now that you have a group to bench with I think you'll really start hammering shit out...cant wait to see what the next year brings for your raw benching.

Oh yeah, the IPF is pretty strict when it comes to stuff like that. I'm sure you'll be fine, you know what to do and what needs to be done.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    I lol'd at that...dude you've made a TON of progress and I think that built you an above average platform to continue building off of...now that you have a group to bench with I think you'll really start hammering shit out...cant wait to see what the next year brings for your raw benching.
    Cheers John. I suppose thats one way to look at it. Thanks for the encouraging words mate.

Oh yeah, the IPF is pretty strict when it comes to stuff like that. I'm sure you'll be fine, you know what to do and what needs to be done.
    Thanks Hopp. Just need to keep my head.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Bench Night (13th April)

Bench
    132x10
    220x5
    286x3
    308x1
    shirt
    352x3
    396x3 touched 3rd rep
    418x2 touched 2nd rep
    440x1 touched

Front Laterals/Side Laterals
    3x15 each

Band Pressdowns
    3x20

- - - -

Finally touching in the shirt as it is starting to break in. Happy days!

Got a stinking head cold/sore throat/ shivers going on at the moment which aint good since I am competing on Saturday. Fucking typical.

Heres the 440. Hit the press wrong.

Video

I don't mean to be a pest, but can you bench like that in the IPF??? I thought they were feet and head flat on the bench. Either way, nice press!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

Vanilla Gorilla

I don't mean to be a pest, but can you bench like that in the IPF??? I thought they were feet and head flat on the bench. Either way, nice press!!!
    Cheers Brian. My next comp after Saturday is GPC and hopefully thats were I will stay.

Nice work.............keep it up bro!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Hell yeah bro touchdown!! Great job Justin. Hopfully you kick the sickness soon.
    Last edited by Brian C; 04-14-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by JustinMcK View Post
    Cheers Brian. My next comp after Saturday is GPC and hopefully thats were I will stay.
    Ok cool, I was just concerned
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

Vanilla Gorilla

Hope you are all clear by the time it comes to compete, you will still make good regardless bro.

Thanks guys. I did my DL comp today. In a succession of bad luck and bad ideas I really had a shit day.

I have been getting progressively sicker since Thursday (bad luck) so I knocked my opener back from 578 to 550. I also cranked my lever belt back two notches (bad idea).

Weighed in at 241. Warm ups were going fine and I only planned on going to ~500. I stepped up to a bar that was loaded with 44lbs more than it looked (25kg plates that were same colour as the 20kg plates) and pulled it straps down and beltless. (528 is a beltless PR btw ) Then flight was called. No warmups with belt or straps up. Typical of the days events.

1. 550 good lift but belt was too tight and set up was awful.
    2. 600 missed near lockout and tore two callouses on right hand very deeply.
    3. 600 missed somewhere. Past caring at this point. Nice paramedic sliced the meat off that was dangling from my palm.

I am not dissapointed as such considering I felt as if I could barely lift my head never mind a barbell this morning. No amount of training can overcome being ill. Unfortunate. My friend got videos. I will upload them (for what they are worth) as soon as he emails them to me.

Garage Lifter
    good job in a tough situation, 550 pull is pretty damn good
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Hey, at least you still competed. I was pretty much in the same situation with my first and only raw meet I did. I know you didn't get what you want but props all the way around bro!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    good job in a tough situation, 550 pull is pretty damn good
    Thanks Matt. Appreciate that. Bad luck.

Hey, at least you still competed. I was pretty much in the same situation with my first and only raw meet I did. I know you didn't get what you want but props all the way around bro!!!
    I remember that Brian, only I think you triumphed, lol . Thanks mate.

Here are the pulls from yesterday.

Watching back, I made such a meal of my opener. Lever belt was set way too tight which is why I swapped back to my buckle belt for the next attempts. The bar comes up lop sided in my opener which is when my hand ripped open. I have NEVER torn callouses in my right hand, always my left so it was even more annoying. The 2nd attempt made it worse and by the 3rd I had no grip. The pull is there to be had. I will smoke it within the next few weeks. Small redemption.

Video

Redemption- one of my favorite things.

Youll nail it!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Damn bro, you were so close!!! Next time it's yours to take
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

Vanilla Gorilla

Don't worry about it. Next time 600 will be no problem.

Sorry to hear it didn't go down the way you wanted bud. Like you said being ill kills everything. At good health, youll smoke 600. Cheers for battling through it and not pulling out of the meet.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Redemption- one of my favorite things.

Youll nail it!
    Damn bro, you were so close!!! Next time it's yours to take
    Quote Originally Posted by nickp8 View Post
    Don't worry about it. Next time 600 will be no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    Sorry to hear it didn't go down the way you wanted bud. Like you said being ill kills everything. At good health, youll smoke 600. Cheers for battling through it and not pulling out of the meet.
    Thanks for the encouragement fellas. Glad you reckon its there to be had.