View Poll Results: What is your favorite type of cardio?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Low Intensity Cardio (Walking, Elliptical, Etc.)

24 18.60%
  • High Intensity Cardio (Running, Elliptical, Stairclimber)

21 16.28%
  • Outdoor Cardio (Running, Cycling, Swimming, Rollerblading)

23 17.83%
  • Interval Training (Sprint / Walk)

20 15.50%
  • Rowing

5 3.88%
  • Crossfit / Barbell Complexes

11 8.53%
  • Sled Drags (And other GPP work like sandbag carry)

20 15.50%
  • SledgeHammer Cardio (Hitting a tire)

6 4.65%
  • Gym Circuits (Machine training with low rest periods)

5 3.88%
  • Spin Classes

2 1.55%
  • Kickboxing / Fitness Classes

1 0.78%
  • MMA Fighting & Training

14 10.85%
  • Traditional Sports (Basketball, Baseball, etc.)

25 19.38%
  • Yoga

3 2.33%
  • I don't do cardio

19 14.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite type of cardio?

Yoga. I was doing it 3 times a week over the summer. But now I'm at a different gym with no yoga. I'm trying to do it on my own at least once per week.
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

I don't do well with cardio... but I've been trying to get 20-30 minutes in on the exercise bike lately (better than nothing right?)

Trying not to die young.

I'm not doing any cardio right now. Living in an urban area I do quite a bit of walking. I would guess a half mile a day or so, but nothing in the gym. I tend to like low intensity cardio. When I was getting ready for my show all I did was walking at an incline. Nothing more needed to cut imo.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

CrossFit...har har har

but honeslty, I don't even do cardio anymore

a quick 10 min. CrossFit conditioning workout 2-3 times a week after my heavy strength work and I'm good to go.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Kettlebell snatches.

I do intervals, but sometimes I'll just do non-stop kettlebell snatches with a 53lb kettlebells for 15-30 minutes straight. Cadence varies, but usually it's somewhere in the 10-15/minute range - with intervals, it will generally be in the 15-20/minute range w. a 53lb bell, and 10-15/minute w. a 70lb bell.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Iron Junkie
    I just started taking break dance classes. That is an insane cardio workout and also builds strength and stamina in the process.

As I am trying to drop body fat right now I am starting with low intensity cardio. As I start to drop some pounds off and my conditioning improves I will add in HIIT or BB complexes. Right now its just one step at a time.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

I haaaaaaate cardio..... I hate it I hate it I hate it... Did I mention I hate it?

I trained mma for about 3 years which was enough cardio activity for me. I think I'll start training again in the next few weeks, really miss it!

Once I get a tire and a sledge hammer I'll start gpp.. and I need to find a big ass tire to do tire flips. The classic forms of repeatative cardio do my head in!
    She lied.... SIZE MATTERS!

Banned
    I used to row at a high level through school and the first year of university. We'd weight train 2-3 times a week on top of crazy amounts of cardio. And still maintain bodyweights of 180-220lbs through massive eating.

However, after doing things like 2hr daily water sessions, 60min runs, 3x6km rowing machine pieces (killer), 45 min circuits etc etc I now find it hard to do more than 20min without getting bored and tired.

It takes me a bit of time and persistence before I recover that mental strength to just push on through.

But to answer your question last year I was running 30-45min 2-3 times a week and then usually 1-2 shorter harder rowing machine pieces.
    Right now I'm getting back into it and yeah its taking some real metal and physical work to adjust to the cardio mindset again.

Wannabebig Member
    I play raquetball with the wife after going to the gym. I hate wasting away on a boring bike for 45mins
    Stats-Bench 265lbs, squat 365lbs, deadlift 425lbs
    weight 285lbs height 5' 10"........as of 29 MAY '09
    weight 238lbs height 5'10" ........as of 23 OCT '09

I guess I'm an odd ball. I like running for 6-8 miles 4 or 5 days per week.

I do conditioning twice a week on my off (non lifting) days.

In the warmer months I mountain bike one day, and do a mix of burpees, push/pull the sled, sledge swings, sandbag carry, carry tire at lockout.

In the colder months I do intervals with my spin bike in my basement, like ride bike for 1 min, then do BW squats, pushups or medicine ball slams for as many reps possible for 30 sec. Repeat for 15-30 mins.
    Without progression, I am nothing.

Wannabebig New Member
    The elliptical is my warm up machine at the gym.. I need to own one.

Anyone ever use high intensity interval training? It's supposed to be the best for getting metabolism higher / burning fat well AFTER the workout. I've known about it and never tried it.

Wannabebig Member
    Elliptical for me. I bought a cheopo one for the home and liked it. I saved up and bought a good quality machine and i love it! I do it first thing in the morning on the weekends and at night on the weeknights.

I don't see it on the list so I include: Swimming and jump rope.

I would also have to say Heavy Bag. I love the Heavy Bag, it gets my heart pumping and helps improve my punching power and speed. I would advise a Heavy Bag for anyone, especially older folks, I seen a old man hitting one, and well...I knew to never mess with that old man lol.

Wannabebig Member shutUpAndSquat's Avatar
    i think swimming is a great way to do cardio. maybe because there are so many damn goodlooking girls doing it!
    my texas method training log

Sitting on the bench/breathing heavy in between heavy-volume squat sets is enough cardio for me. If i wanted to burn more fat i'd just double my squat volume, or start deadlifting (with volume as well) again.

In my youth my favorite cardio was running as fast as possible out the back door before her husband came in the front door. Now getting some what older and unable to do wind sprints, I settle for riding my bicycle or the elliptical trainer.

I like using the eliptical, medium intensity for 35 minutes, 5 days a week. Its mindless work at the end of the day, I can watch tv while I do it, and its been working great for me.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

I love (and by love I mean hate) tabata front squats. It's four minutes of hell, but at least it's only four minutes. I've just gotten back into doing them, but the plan is to do them twice a week.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I am interested in seeing how this shapes up as we get more responses.

Right now it looks like some of the non-traditional methods have prevailed, with standard cardio practices not too far behind.

Along with the same topic, how frequently do most of you include cardiovascular exercise? During strength training and bulking phases (most of my training) I will do cardio 1-2 times per week.
    I run everyday for 30-1 hour after weight training and kick boxing

I actually don't mind gettin on the treadmill for LISS for 30-40min. I also play rugby so i get a fair bit of cardio from that as well.
    You give what you give, what you don't give is lost forever, this day will never come again.

400/300/500 by 2011.

I've always loved basketball, and there's nothing better to get your heart going than a few games of pickup at the rec!
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

swimmings great cardio because not only is it cardio but it works every muscle in your body, but my favorite cardio vascular activity should be no suprise.... hockey, works the legs and core like crazy while burning cals like hell.
    Goal:190lbs @ 10% bf by 2011
    Current Stats
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 184
    TEXAS GOON HOCKEY!