Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed Bench off boards?

Speed Bench off boards?

Anyone do Speed bench off boards?
    1, 2 or 3 board for saving the shoulders while working the lock-out/ speed?
    Thank you very much.

I'll use a 1-bd or foam sometimes. It does save on the shoulders.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    I'll use a 1-bd or foam sometimes. It does save on the shoulders.
    Yeah I like to do the same, I know Rob likes doing speed off the 3 board with to save the shoulders-I don't really know of anyone else though.

I use foam to teach me to teach me to go faster, a one board could do the same.

Next week I'll start using the rolled up piece of carpet that I use for carpet presses. I have one that's about 5" and one that's about 3". I'll use the shorter one for speed benching.

I've used a 1-board in the past when my shoulders and pecs were feeling a bit beat up. Carpet or foam would be good to throw in occasionally as well.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Why not work the bottom of the lift? With all of these specialized lifts it's no wonder a lot of powerlifters do not look muscular.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-20-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Never did explosive speed work to a board.
    I use that day to get speed off of the chest.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Why not work the bottom of the lift? With all of these specialized lifts it's no wonder a lot of powerlifters do not look muscular.
    Do you look muscular Vinnie? Are you in any magazines?
    Just playing, I just want to still train speed with-out hurting my shoulder which is not 100% at the moment.
    Do you think I will still get a good training effect this way?
    Thanks.

Banned
    If its not 100% are you sure you should be doing speed work at all? How bad is it?

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I totally agree.

I've never used boards or foam for benching.

I guess if you had to for a couple weeks, that'd be fine, but really work on getting back to full range as soon as possible. You need to train your muscles to move the weight the same distance you'll move it at a meet.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

[QUOTE=Reko;2195995]If its not 100% are you sure you should be doing speed work at all? How bad is it?[/QUOTE

I really only notice it if I go any lower than a 1 board raw, other wise it is pretty good.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I totally agree.

I've never used boards or foam for benching.

I guess if you had to for a couple weeks, that'd be fine, but really work on getting back to full range as soon as possible. You need to train your muscles to move the weight the same distance you'll move it at a meet.
    Ok thank you Travis.
    I will do it off a 1 board for a couple more weeks then go to chest and not do anything balistic.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Nick,
    I always go full ROM on speed day... Bear in mind you should only be using 55% of your current 1RM (raw) Get that shoulder checked or take a little time off, if you're having trouble tolerating the pain w/ that amount of weight

good luck,
    RC

Quote Originally Posted by robchris View Post
    Nick,
    I always go full ROM on speed day... Bear in mind you should only be using 55% of your current 1RM (raw) Get that shoulder checked or take a little time off, if you're having trouble tolerating the pain w/ that amount of weight

good luck,
    RC
    Thanks Rob, yeah I am only using minis + 135 at the moment-best raw bench is 350 touch and go.
    Will do speed off 1 board then back to full range as soon as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Do you look muscular Vinnie? Are you in any magazines?
    Just playing, I just want to still train speed with-out hurting my shoulder which is not 100% at the moment.
    Do you think I will still get a good training effect this way?
    Thanks.
    You said saving shoulders in your first post. I did not take that as you having an injured shoulder. With the injured shoulder I can understand using the board somewhat. However, I would focus on getting the shoulder right first and foremost.

I know I am not ripped by any means, but I am definitely carrying a fair amount of muscle mass. There's no doubt when people see me that I lift weights. There's no doubt I lift lots of burgers and pizza also.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Remember why DE day was created in the Westside template. It was created for lifters (most people) who could not tolerate 2 ME workouts for a given body part per week.

Speed work off boards will not do much for your lifting. It won't do much for anything in my opinion.

Find another way to train around your shoulder issue for now. Try skipping barbell work for a few weeks and just stick with 15-20 rep sets of dumbbell presses.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

The thing is it only hurts when I go below 1 board height raw.
    I can do everything else with no shoulder pain.
    Should have been more clear I know.

My 2 cents

Board work should be utilized to work your weak points of your lift. Now if you check out my training logs you will see that the majority of my speed work is done off a two or three brd. That is where my speed is the slowest so thats where I concentrate on. Full rage work is ok when needed but I do enough work to keep my muscular appearance and yes I have been in magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    My 2 cents

Board work should be utilized to work your weak points of your lift. Now if you check out my training logs you will see that the majority of my speed work is done off a two or three brd. That is where my speed is the slowest so thats where I concentrate on. Full rage work is ok when needed but I do enough work to keep my muscular appearance and yes I have been in magazines.
    You must admit, your bench is just about as different as any I have ever seen. Not to leave out, very impressive. Also, you continue to do a fair amount of full range work and clearly you have a very solid background in training. Do you kind of get what I'm saying about about some powerlifters not looking like they really lift? I think people are turning to specialized training too early. The lack of muscular development and proper technique will bite them in the ass in the long run.

vinnie, what do you mean Robs bench looks different than others you have seen? Just wondering what you mean specifically...

I agree that specialized training is utilized too early, but I think it CAN be used early. The problem IMO, is that it is used too OFTEN. A good mixture of specialized lifts and good,old fashioned full range training can be a good program. The problem is that a lot of lifters have no idea how to set up a smart training program and dont have anybody to show them...
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Yeah I really do need to continue building my base that's for sure.
    What I'll do is use a 1 board for 2 weeks then go full range.
    I'm pleased I asked the question, really appreciate getting advice from everyone.
    Thanks!

I do agree with Vincent that you have to pay your dues with all your core work before you switch to the advanced techniques. I made my current training partner train with me for a year all raw work before I would even let him try a shirt. It has helped him out tremendously.

And I am curious how is my benching any different then others? I cheat just as much as the next guy and use my God gifted Boiler?

god gifted boiler? I think that thing is totally man made! made by sloppy gene's awesome omelete lol
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden