Thread: Tommy Kono knee and elbow bands

Tommy Kono knee and elbow bands

Have any of you folks used these?

When you put these on, or any knee or elbow bands on, is it a big battle to get them on? I have a little arthritis in my hands now and then, and I have not been able to get these things on, while going according to their size plan. That which is supposed to go on my knees fits my arms better, although I have to say that it is not very tight then, but it does keep my elbows warm. When you guys put on any bands, is it always so tight? I can see how it would improve your lifts, as it would make your joints stiff. Kind of like when I used to wear Filson tin pants(tough waterproof canvas) and I was stronger, or able to lift more at work.

I tried for about 15 minutes one evening to get on any of these bands, and the only satisfaction that I got was to use the knee bands on the arms, but then it was more for warmth than anything. I suppose I could put the arm bands on my ankles and feet, that might make them warmer.The waist band, I got that too, Lord help me, perhaps it will do some good in terms of keeping my back warm.

I am not large, my arms are like 16 1/2". I would need a spotter to help me get those bands on me. I jammed on one of the knee bands and it took a while to get the thing off, and at that I got no where near my knee, my calves are 17", about. I suppose thats how it is, eh?
    Last edited by NordicMan; 10-19-2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: spellings and consideraton

Turn em inside out. I love my TK bands. I havent worn them in a while but theyre great.
    Sarvamangalam!

Hmm, I haven't tried doing that. I am not kicking the TK bands down. I have a deep respect for Mr. Kono, one of the real greats of Olympic lifting. The problems he had, in his knees, I have some of those problems, that is why I got them. I just would like to be able to get them on.

Thanks for the return.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Turn em inside out. I love my TK bands. I havent worn them in a while but theyre great.
    Exactly. They slide on easily and work just the same when inside-out but are pretty tough to get on the regular way.

I have been using TK sleeves for 2+ years now and really like them.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Exactly. They slide on easily and work just the same when inside-out but are pretty tough to get on the regular way.

I have been using TK sleeves for 2+ years now and really like them.
    I think TOm here, was the one who originally suggested me getting them and turning them inside out. Thnaks Tom!
    Sarvamangalam!

Thanks for replying guys. The size recommendation at the website they have is what I followed for my purchase, so it must be what everyone gets. I will turn them inside out and try them out that way. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    Thanks for replying guys. The size recommendation at the website they have is what I followed for my purchase, so it must be what everyone gets. I will turn them inside out and try them out that way. Thanks.
    You do not want them to be loose. I weigh just over 220 lbs with a relatively large frame and can still wear the S/M size ones (for 140-220 lbs) although they do start to bunch on me a little bit. They fit great when I was around 200-210 lbs.

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Yes, I don't figure that having them somewhat loose will do a lot of good. My weight is 225 to 230, I have lost 20 to 25 pounds(need to lose more), and my wrists are about 8", but I am not larger than a lot of guys who are lighter but more developed than me. So I thought I would fit into those Small(for the elbow) and Medium(for the knees).

I personally don't like the way the rubber sticks to my shorts with them inside out, so I do it like this: slide them on inside out and upside down, get them so the bottom is where you want them, and then roll them over. To take them off just roll them inside out again. I don't have huge legs, but that's a lot easier than pulling them on the normal way.

Quote Originally Posted by Doobs View Post
    I personally don't like the way the rubber sticks to my shorts with them inside out, so I do it like this: slide them on inside out and upside down, get them so the bottom is where you want them, and then roll them over. To take them off just roll them inside out again. I don't have huge legs, but that's a lot easier than pulling them on the normal way.
    Great idea!
    Sarvamangalam!

Next time I work out I'll have to try this. Had a workout last night, but I just went ahead without any bands, I didn't want to fight with them. My joints felt good anyway, but I will try them outside in or this method doobs has articulated. Thanks for the idea.

How do you guys like the elbow sleeves? I really like the knee sleeves but typically use cloth sleeves for my elbows (APT).

I just let them sit around my calves while I'm warming up, by the time I'm ready to start lifting there is a nice coating of sweat on them which makes them easy to pull into place.