The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar

Got to meet 3X Mr. Olympia Jay Cutler

I went to an NPC bodybuilding event last night and Jay Cutler was there. He had a meet and greet before the event and then did some guest posing. Jay's posing routine was great and he ended up walking through the entire crowd taking pictures with everyone. Afterward he gave a good speech about how grateful he was to have won the Olympia, how he got started in bodybuilding, and how excited he is to have achieved his dreams.

Jay first found bodybuilding in a magazine when he was 12 and started training. His first contest was when he was 18 and by 23 he won his Pro Card. As he was coming up in the ranks Ronnie Coleman was dominating the Olympia and Jay took 2nd a number of times, while also winning 3 Arnold Classic titles. When he was 33 years old he finally won the ultimate title of Mr. Olympia, and then repeated that feat again the next year. After taking 2nd last year he battled back this year and won another Mr. Olympia crown.

If you think that most bodybuilders are arrogant, you are probably right... but not this guy. Jay was sincerely interested in meeting all of his fans and supporting the sport. I didnt get to meet him before the contest but he actually stuck around after guest posing to make sure that anyone who wanted a picture with him could get one. I also heard a great story about him from the Arnold where security tried to shut down his booth because the expo was closed but there was a big line of fans so he told them that he was not leaving until the fans who were waiting go to meet him, and all that they could do was stop additional people from joining the line.

I have to say that after meeting him I am a fan of Jay and hope that he has continued success in the sport. Just wanted to let everyone know that there are some good guys out there and his physique was also simly ridiculous up close.

Here is a picture:

Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 10-18-2009 at 06:56 AM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gamer/Lifter
    I'd think a body building like that would know better then to wear a white shirt. His arms a bit small too

But the guy in the pink, I wonder why he isn't a body builder...

Or do I got things backwards?
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

We know that Tom has WAY above average strength and size. That picture really shows how far ahead [genetically and pharmaceutically] those top bodybuilders are. I'm glad to hear that he seemed to be a good guy too.
    Last edited by Off Road; 10-18-2009 at 07:58 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I also met him last year. He is a really nice guy. Down to earth. When I was standing beside him, I was actually shocked at how ****in thick this guy was.

I got a pic too, but i'm embarassed to show it. I was tiny last year
    Last edited by Detard; 10-18-2009 at 09:27 AM.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

very cool. Always heard he was a real good guy. Good champion for the sport.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wow...I'd be scared to shake his hand lol. He'd probably crush me.

It is good to have guys who are willing to help, a friend of mine was talking to the overall winner from the NPC contest and he was giving him all kinds of tips on his diet and contest preparation.

Unfortunately most of bodybuilding is not like this, but it is nice to know that there are a few good ones out there. I even picked up some new information from some discussions with the bodybuilders that I will share here.

I DRANK YOUR MILK DieselWarrior's Avatar
    Great to hear Tom, that must have been a great time!

I like to hear about how energetic he is and how open to his fans, etc.. he is. Ive got limited exposure to BBers so I personally cant say how they normally act. I myself try to give tips and advice and encouragement to many of my co-workers, some who work out, and some who dont in hopes they might start. I really cant imagine anyone wanting to keep such a great thing a "big secret" on how its done, etc.. (I more or less consider myself a weight lifter rather than a BBer.)

Anyway, that was a nice read, thx for posting!

Andrew
    42 years old, 5'9", 245lbs, wannabeBIG with muscle!
    "If you wanna be diesel, you gotta first be a warrior!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDV_9Ys7ftc

Cool! I almost had the chance to meet him last year. He was doing an appearance at a One-Stop Nutrition right up the road from where I live, but I couldn't get off work : (

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post

I got a pic too, but i'm embarassed to show it.
    Show us!
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Damn, just look at the size of Jay's arms compared to Tom's. Damn, hopefully I can meet both some day
    -█--------█- Squat: 285 x 3
    ......\☻/...... Bench Press: 235 x 3 (stuck there)
    ........▌....... Skull Crusher: 110lbs ez bar
    ......./ \......Standing Shoulder Press: 115lbs (barbell)

"I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them." Pablo Picasso

As massive as Jay is I'm still impressed by you Tom haha, you don't look completely miniscule next to him (as most people do :P).

It's good to hear that he's such a good guy, I've always liked Jay Cutler. He took 2nd so many times to Ronnie Coleman but he didn't quit, every year he went back in to the gym, trained hard and one year it finally paid off. Ties in nicely with the quote in my sig.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

I think you could take him Tom......he's got no traps!! LOL

He looks much bigger with his uniform off.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I was waiting for this^^^, thanks for not letting me down, Guido.

I worked out several times with a bber several years ago. He'd won some squat contests and some minor CA bb shows. He introduced me to a few of his friends (bbers) at his gym. They were all arrogant jerks. It's cool to hear that some one of Jay's caliber is a down-to-earth, nice guy. It's good for the sport and it's even better for the fans.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 10-22-2009 at 09:44 AM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

I felt the need to post the writeup to let people know about Jay, since as others have mentioned it is uncommon that you meet a bodybuilder (especially high level bodybuilder) who is down to earth.

You can tell that he is really living his dream and cares about his fans.