Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What drove you to lift.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodyguard View Post
    Just wondering what motivated you guys to start lifting weights.
    I hated looking tall and skinny, I wanted to be tall and BIG.

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    I was always extremely skinny (fly weight) and decided to "do something about it" at the age of 12. I lifted until I was 25-26 (some time in there). Then (the excuses start) due to work and no time, I quit. About 10 years ago, after hurting my back while fly fishing, I decided that I needed to get back into shape, just to be able to fish. Several years of bb lifting with OK results, I discovered powerlifting training. I've never looked back. As others have said, it's a passion.

I've said it several times already, but I was also told that after I turned 40, I'd never be able to get much bigger or much stronger. I call BS. I've put on more size AFTER the age of 40 than I ever did before.
    I have a similar background, in that it took me a while to discover how to train correctly. I started lifting with a couple fraternity brothers when I was in college. Looking back, my training was decent back then, but I moved across the country, and the gym where I started lifting had tons of machines, no squat rack and my workouts changed accordingly for the worse but at the time I didn't realize it was for the worse. I didn't make much progress for a while, a long while, but for some reason I still stuck with it ( even though looking back I didn't know what I was doing ). I eventually started wondering why I was even lifting anymore, and I decided it was because I wanted to be strong ( which I wasn't ). I found a group of powerlifters to train with and I've also "never looked back". I love powerlifting. And now I'm not tall and skinny anymore, lol.

I completely agree with your over 40 comment. I've put on tons of muscle in the last (almost) 2 years, and I'm getting stronger everyday.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 10-22-2009 at 11:53 AM.

The fact that I like lifting and was a skinny guy.

All through highschool I was tall and very skinny. (6ft 3 inches 160lbs) I was very weak and fragile, and I let myself get pushed around alot. I didnt want to be like that all my life and was sick of being the skinny guy. Once I got in the gym I got addicted right away. Ive only been at it for about 9 months seriously, but Im loving it. It helped boost my self esteem also.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    All through highschool I was tall and very skinny. (6ft 3 inches 160lbs) I was very weak and fragile, and I let myself get pushed around alot. I didnt want to be like that all my life and was sick of being the skinny guy. Once I got in the gym I got addicted right away. Ive only been at it for about 9 months seriously, but Im loving it. It helped boost my self esteem also.
    What kind of gains have you seen so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
    What kind of gains have you seen so far?
    Gains

Edit.

35lbs lean body mass

45lbs bench 65lbs start - 120lbs now

190lbs deadlift 95lbs start- 285 now

30lb shoulder press (on dumbells 25lbs- 55lbs now)

~110lbs on squat. 75lbs start -185lbs now
    Last edited by bass slayer; 10-22-2009 at 05:24 PM.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

Wannabebig Member
    I started around age 23. I was always in good cardiovascular shape from the sports in high school and my job in the Navy. I ran into a guy who worked part time as a physical trainer at a gym in LA. He was huge! I used to mess around in the gym working out on the machines. My friend started tweaking everything I did. I had never done a squat in my life! He got me squatting and deadlifting. He altered my diet and showed me the all the secrets he'd learned over the years.

Now I'm 30, and I had spent 3 years away from the gym. I returned 9 months ago and I have to say I love working out more than ever!
    Stats-Bench 265lbs, squat 365lbs, deadlift 425lbs
    weight 285lbs height 5' 10"........as of 29 MAY '09
    weight 238lbs height 5'10" ........as of 23 OCT '09

Quote Originally Posted by Mathillas View Post
    I started around age 23. I was always in good cardiovascular shape from the sports in high school and my job in the Navy. I ran into a guy who worked part time as a physical trainer at a gym in LA. He was huge! I used to mess around in the gym working out on the machines. My friend started tweaking everything I did. I had never done a squat in my life! He got me squatting and deadlifting. He altered my diet and showed me the all the secrets he'd learned over the years.

Now I'm 30, and I had spent 3 years away from the gym. I returned 9 months ago and I have to say I love working out more than ever!
    What'd you do in the Navy?

Trying not to die young.

Wannabebig Member
    I was an undesignated ABH the first 4 yrs. I struck out and became an air traffic controller for the last 4 yrs. All in all I loved my time in the Navy.

If your not familiar with the ratings, an ABH is an aviation boatswain's mate. Basically, I was a plane director and flight deck firefighter. It's fun being 25ft from and F-14 landing in the cables at full throttle. My ears are paying for it now though
    Last edited by Mathillas; 10-24-2009 at 12:42 AM.
    Stats-Bench 265lbs, squat 365lbs, deadlift 425lbs
    weight 285lbs height 5' 10"........as of 29 MAY '09
    weight 238lbs height 5'10" ........as of 23 OCT '09

Wannabebig Member
    I just looked at it as being fun. I didn't play any sports when I first started, so I figured it would be a great hobby and keep me busy.
    Goals By October 11th
    Bench Press - 225
    Deadlift - 405
    Squat - 375 (formerly 300)
    Weight - 205 lbs
    Current Stats
    Bench Press - 185 lbs
    Deadlift - 315 lbs
    Squat - 300 lbs
    Weight - 190 lbs

lifting helps me relieve stress and gives me confidence. that's pretty much it.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

abusive father. good genetics kept me going.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

I DRANK YOUR MILK DieselWarrior's Avatar
    I got tired of being a

Among many other things... Its good to be getting bigger and stronger, feels great!! And Im starting to look good too (IMHO anyway)

Andrew
    42 years old, 5'9", 245lbs, wannabeBIG with muscle!
    "If you wanna be diesel, you gotta first be a warrior!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDV_9Ys7ftc

Ernie Batson
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    Gonna sound stupid,but I wanted to hit a golf ball further! Now I would rather lift! I still play a lot of golf though.
    Not stupid at all. Golf is my second favorite thing to do. I greened a 330 yard par 4 the other day. It felt great.
    You can be pitiful or powerful CHOOSE.

When i was 11. My dad just got to work and just happened to see his buddy about to throw his bench and weight set in the dumpster. He took it off his hands and came home with it and said get to work! I havent stopped since. I remember people saying my growth will be stunted b/c I started young. I am now the tallest person in my family. All 5'8 of me. LOL

I really got into training in highschool more seriously for football. Once High school was over I decided not to play ball in college and just train. I though I had a better shot at powerlifting. Did my first meet at age 18 and broke the apa national record with 460 with out even knowing it.( Cant beleive that was almost 10 years ago) That was awesome. For 4 years I got to Get drink constantly, train 12 times a week and go to class for a few hours every other day. I miss those times!
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

When my 6 year old daughter referred to me as "fat daddy", I knew it was time for a change. I cant exactly be a good role model for my kids if Im a big fatty McFatster.

I did a round of P90x, which was great for what it was, dropped from 216 pounds of keyboard toting nancyboy to 190 pounds of keyboard toting nancyboy. Then I decided to actually hit the gym and put on a bit of muscle.

I dont aspire to be a bodybuilder or a power lifter, I just want to not be included in the American obesity statistics. What I can learn from these forums and the amazing lifters that post here I can use to meet my personal goals.

Im shooting for 10% BF, 6' 210ish with lifts in the 3/4/5 range. (not too far out of range for an old IT guy I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBatz View Post
    Not stupid at all. Golf is my second favorite thing to do. I greened a 330 yard par 4 the other day. It felt great.

Thanks BigBatz I don't get the big stick out as far as you do but I have gained a whole club in my irons since I started lifting! The clubs feel like toothpicks now! Also I didn't start out looking for compliments on my improvements to my body,but they sure don't hurt my feelings now!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Wannabebig New Member
    ...first post here. Thought it was the best place to begin.

Always hearing how chicks thought six-pack abs were so sexy got me lifting. I always said I just wanted to be big enough so that if I was flirting with another dude's girl he would be too intimidated to do anything about it and I wanted abs ripped enough a girl could wash her panties on them... Shooting for January with that goal. Seems realistic.

jon

I started boxing at 14 and used it as a way to move up in weight without going the James Toney route. I fell in love with moving weight it got to the point where my boxing coach was upset cause i was spending way to much time in the weight room ( this is before i was aware of lifting knowledge and like most overtrained). Got on here and got educated and got even more deep into it. In april of 07 I was in a horrible accident when a woman came into my lane and plowed my car head on at 60. Had a compound fracture on my lower right leg, it was nearly severed in the wreck and had alot of other injuries. I was told i'd be able to recover and run but lifting heavy with my lower body would be out of the question yet within 6 months after the wreck i was squatting over 315 again. But my main reason now is lifting and being in good shape to help me when I finish this year of school and take the jump into being a police officer.
    January 07-164 pounds
    *Bulking*
    Deccember 07 - 225 pounds

June 08 - 205
    *Currently Cutting*
    Goal-190

November 08-238 pounds
    *Bulking till January 1st*

I started at 14. I was 120 lbs @ 5'7 lol, I got pushed around and sucked at football. I tried it one day and honestly had/have never loved anything more in my life. It honestly affects me that I am not able to carry out my passion anymore as much as I would love to, but that is life and it will always be here for me when I get the time to give it it's deserved attention. I learned the iron is always there for me, and I can confide in it whenever it is necessary, and it will take away my problems and reward me greatly if I show it the right amount of time and work. After 4 years I gained 75 lbs and +200 bench, +170 squat and +250 deadlift. Or around there. And when I am able to return full time to my passion, it will just keep coming. I love lifting weights, it is the greatest thing that ever happened to my life.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Wannabebig Member Pumping Manny's Avatar
    Here where my steps.

1) Wife left me (divorce).
    - Lots of free time on my hand.
    2) My self esteem was down rock bottom.
    3) Start watching Arnolds and Stalone Movies.
    4) Get my ass in the gym.
    5) Ladies start noticing me.
    6) Found a friend then she became my girlfriend, and now my wife.
    7) Still train with her at the gym, we are hooked on this now.
    5'8''
    180 pounds

Bench: 245*8
    Squats: 310*8
    Deads: 245*8

I DRANK YOUR MILK DieselWarrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumping Manny View Post
    Here where my steps.

1) Wife left me (divorce).
    - Lots of free time on my hand.
    2) My self esteem was down rock bottom.
    3) Start watching Arnolds and Stalone Movies.
    4) Get my ass in the gym.
    5) Ladies start noticing me.
    6) Found a friend then she became my girlfriend, and now my wife.
    7) Still train with her at the gym, we are hooked on this now.
    Congrats on the progress all the way around!
    42 years old, 5'9", 245lbs, wannabeBIG with muscle!
    "If you wanna be diesel, you gotta first be a warrior!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDV_9Ys7ftc

What drove you to lift?
    A beautiful woman in her Escalade! My wife.

Really I have always lifted for all around health. Slipped away like a lot of people and suffered a mild heart attack at 55. Started back lifting. Suffered a good amount of physical damage at 60. At 63 I have now started back again. Always with the goal of first getting healthy, second getting stronger and third perhaps getting bigger.

Wannabebig Member
    Started lifting when i was 14 for lacrosse in high school. My coach was absolutely nuts an really knew what he was doing so he got us on a great program. I have enjoyed lifting ever since. This may sounds weird but honestly besides the obvious visible result reasons I just love lifting. Its a place I can go for 1-2 hours, put my ipod on an just zone out an not think about anything stressful in life. I can work hard an its just the best stress reliever ever.

At first like most people it was because I wanted to lose some body fat.

Soon after it turned into something else, now its a passion of mine I go to the gym and turn the world off, its something that I do for me and me alone.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.