Thread: Weight Lifting, on physique for fat guy

Weight Lifting, on physique for fat guy

I am 16, 188, and I look fat, to me, and a lot of people tell me I have buffed up the past few years cause of my "fun lifting" until last week I have never had a routine, I just did a lot of sets/reps of bench, and other things, never squats/deads. Last Week I started SS, and I am wondering, since I am serious about my lifting now:

1. Doesn't building muscle, when your fat, make you look fatter since it pushes the fat out?

2. If your on a calorie deficit, mild cardio, and SS; your losing weight, but won't your muscle become more defined, and less "mass" then if your fatter? Like my biceps right now, can't even really see the muscle, but my arm is big, so if I cut down, lets say to 165, won't my arm grow smaller, but the muscle become defined more?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I just wanted to know, thanks for any good info/posts.

Haha, I just remember how much I overthought **** when I had jsut started.

Look kiddo, best advice I can give you as someone who has been in this position before... less thinking more lifting.

Eat clean, lift heavier every session, and you will do fine.

There are two things on your body, muscle and fat, they are not codependent, but they are linked. If you get more muscular, and your body fat levels stay the same, the only thing that will happen is you will look better, it won't push them out or whatever else you are thinking. Your second question, there is muscle, and there is fat. You gain muscle or you lose fat, there is no 'defined' muscle or 'mass' muscle, it's just musccle.

But again, just take it from us, less thinking, more lifting.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    less thinking, more lifting.
    Seriously.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thanks. I am going to do that, my only issue is, I can only lift 3 days a week on SS

SS is only 3 days a week.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

I know, so, I can't lift for the 4 days out of the week. I have the urge to lift, almost constantly. Not a hour goes by I don't want to lift something heavy.

OOOHH I got it now.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

If you want to lift 4 days a week, then go lift 4 days a week. The last time I checked nobody here was holding a gun to your head making you do anything you don't want to do.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I wouldnt mess with the program. Soon enough it will kick your ass and you will need the extra days to recover. Keep lifting heavy, eat clean, and track your results.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    If you want to lift 4 days a week, then go lift 4 days a week. The last time I checked nobody here was holding a gun to your head making you do anything you don't want to do.
    From what I've read, lifting more then SS, would be bad idea for recovery, so I can't if I want to see progress.

SS will sooner or later feel tough @ 3days a week every time adding weight. You are going to NEED that day in between for recovery. But that does not mean you have to sit around the other 4 days a week. Play basketball indoors for like 2 hours, do sprints, go for a 2 mile jog on the other days. Your fat will be gone in a jiff and you will still be recovering from the battered muscle beat down from SS. Lifting 3 days a week and training 3 days a week are totally different.
    -deltoids anonomous

Quote Originally Posted by aormz View Post
    SS will sooner or later feel tough @ 3days a week every time adding weight. You are going to NEED that day in between for recovery. But that does not mean you have to sit around the other 4 days a week. Play basketball indoors for like 2 hours, do sprints, go for a 2 mile jog on the other days. Your fat will be gone in a jiff and you will still be recovering from the battered muscle beat down from SS. Lifting 3 days a week and training 3 days a week are totally different.
    Exactly how I am doing SS! Lift M,W,F then play golf and/or cardio on my days off! I have made quality gains my first two months and lost weight/fat!
    The smartest thing I did was actually track what I ate. The best weight loss excersize on earth is the table push!!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Well, I am getting to where I can keep it below 1600 calls. Which is a heavy deficit for me. I am getting protein in too, so I mean, I should be losing fat, I just don't notice physically much improvement, but I'll wait. I am sure some will come.

Be Patient! Losing weight as well as lifting heavy is a slow process. I am averaging around 1700 calories a day and am steadily losing waist size,weight and fat! Doing SS and some cardio. I know you just started SS so give it a couple weeks. When the weight progression really kicks in you will start to notice more of a difference. IMO I am noticing gains but it takes time!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Quote Originally Posted by CainMcCloud View Post
    won't your muscle become more defined, and less "mass" then if your fatter?
    Cain I agree with others about thinking too much but I think this does need to be answered.

When you begin to lose fat, your arms and other muscle groups you measure might shrink some. When we are fat, our muscle is like choice beef with fat marbled in it. After we start losing fat, we burn that fat out of the muscle and it shrinks some. The muscle becomes firmer but does measure a little less. When you notice this, if you do, don't freak out and think the program is not working.

Ok, thanks DMedley. Also, guys I am grounded from the gym for 6 weeks (they know it's my passion) so I can only workout at home, I should be fine mostly, I have a Standard set, and about up to 190lbs of weights, so I think I'll be alright for 2-3 weeks, maybe even 4. I am pretty sure I can get ungrounded in 2-4 weeks, but idk. Wish me luck, I am staying on SS, just have to go a little lower in weight, which is good since my bench was too high anyways.

Thanks, and yea, I think a lot about it, I fear I think it away, but I mean, lifting is my life right now, lol. Thanks guys, you guys inspire me, no joke.

my bench was too high anyways.
    I have to tell you that in lifting for close to 50 years off and on ... I have never heard that one before. It is about like some one saying their arms are too big
    Last edited by DMedley; 10-27-2009 at 07:40 PM.

lol no it was too high for me to go up 5lbs again in ss lol

lol no it was too high for me to go up 5lbs again in ss lol
    Go buy some 1lb plates for bench and OHP! That way you are always progressing. They are pretty cheap.

I am at the gym, I am not buying weights for the standard bench I have, it's ****ty. My parent's are "getting" me a Olympic Bench, and Olympic Barbell, and hopefully around 250lbs of weights, for my birthday, which is Nov 5th. Right now, I have a Standard Bench, with standard bar, and around 180-200lbs of weights. I have 2.5's but thats all I can do.

I never knew they had 1lb weights though, I will get some for sure, sounds good, the lowest I've ever seen is 2.5.
    Last edited by CainMcCloud; 10-28-2009 at 10:58 AM.