The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Threaded View

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodyguard View Post
    Just wondering what motivated you guys to start lifting weights.
    I hated looking tall and skinny, I wanted to be tall and BIG.

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    I was always extremely skinny (fly weight) and decided to "do something about it" at the age of 12. I lifted until I was 25-26 (some time in there). Then (the excuses start) due to work and no time, I quit. About 10 years ago, after hurting my back while fly fishing, I decided that I needed to get back into shape, just to be able to fish. Several years of bb lifting with OK results, I discovered powerlifting training. I've never looked back. As others have said, it's a passion.

I've said it several times already, but I was also told that after I turned 40, I'd never be able to get much bigger or much stronger. I call BS. I've put on more size AFTER the age of 40 than I ever did before.
    I have a similar background, in that it took me a while to discover how to train correctly. I started lifting with a couple fraternity brothers when I was in college. Looking back, my training was decent back then, but I moved across the country, and the gym where I started lifting had tons of machines, no squat rack and my workouts changed accordingly for the worse but at the time I didn't realize it was for the worse. I didn't make much progress for a while, a long while, but for some reason I still stuck with it ( even though looking back I didn't know what I was doing ). I eventually started wondering why I was even lifting anymore, and I decided it was because I wanted to be strong ( which I wasn't ). I found a group of powerlifters to train with and I've also "never looked back". I love powerlifting. And now I'm not tall and skinny anymore, lol.

I completely agree with your over 40 comment. I've put on tons of muscle in the last (almost) 2 years, and I'm getting stronger everyday.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 10-22-2009 at 11:53 AM.