Thread: What drove you to lift.

Threaded View

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodyguard View Post
    Just wondering what motivated you guys to start lifting weights.
    I hated looking tall and skinny, I wanted to be tall and BIG.

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    I was always extremely skinny (fly weight) and decided to "do something about it" at the age of 12. I lifted until I was 25-26 (some time in there). Then (the excuses start) due to work and no time, I quit. About 10 years ago, after hurting my back while fly fishing, I decided that I needed to get back into shape, just to be able to fish. Several years of bb lifting with OK results, I discovered powerlifting training. I've never looked back. As others have said, it's a passion.

I've said it several times already, but I was also told that after I turned 40, I'd never be able to get much bigger or much stronger. I call BS. I've put on more size AFTER the age of 40 than I ever did before.
    I have a similar background, in that it took me a while to discover how to train correctly. I started lifting with a couple fraternity brothers when I was in college. Looking back, my training was decent back then, but I moved across the country, and the gym where I started lifting had tons of machines, no squat rack and my workouts changed accordingly for the worse but at the time I didn't realize it was for the worse. I didn't make much progress for a while, a long while, but for some reason I still stuck with it ( even though looking back I didn't know what I was doing ). I eventually started wondering why I was even lifting anymore, and I decided it was because I wanted to be strong ( which I wasn't ). I found a group of powerlifters to train with and I've also "never looked back". I love powerlifting. And now I'm not tall and skinny anymore, lol.

I completely agree with your over 40 comment. I've put on tons of muscle in the last (almost) 2 years, and I'm getting stronger everyday.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 10-22-2009 at 11:53 AM.