The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

A good article on bench press form?

OK so here's the deal. I am a senior in high school and as such, i am required to do a senior project. They say you should do it on something you're passionate about and interested in, so what better thing to do it on than weightlifting!

The basis of my "project" is the development of a skill. The skill i've chosen is my strength. In order to show my development of skill, i will be comprising a video montage of my progress in the weight room, specifically on my bench press. My end goal of this project is to bench press 405 lbs. I am currently ~350 (max next week so i say roughly because hopefully i'll have seen some progress). So I'm hoping to get to 405 lbs. around April at ~235 lbs. I choose this weight because this is the weight i will be lifting at in competitions this year, and i will hopefully do well in states with a high bench and a reasonable (~270) clean and jerk.

SO, the reason for this post is to find a good, viable article on bench press form/technique. I have studied this over the years myself and i have lurked these forums quite a bit, but i need an article that is professional and i can show and quote in my research paper. Obviously i know how to have good form on the bench, but if anyone could be helpful enough to post a link to a professional, precise and useful article on bench form and technique, that'd be great.

I will also be starting an online journal here to track my progress and to help prove my development of a skill. I even need an interview as part of my senior project so if any of the more knowledgeable and experienced lifters here would be interested in an online interview or voice interview, post here and let me know =)

Thanks for your time, sorry for the big blocks of text.
    Last edited by CuT USF FaN; 10-27-2009 at 04:28 PM.
    17 years old
    6'1 243
    Best lifts:
    Bench - 355x1, 350x2
    Squat - 430x1, 405x4
    Clean & Jerk - 240

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Sounds like a great project!

I really like the montage of you working on your bench idea and showing the hard work that goes into making gains.

Just remember to keep it focused, don't let it run on. Think of your viewers as 2 year old's, they only have a 15 second attention span. keep thing moving and it will be great. I really hope that you make your goal of 405 as well.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the article! That's exactly what I'm looking for to quote in my research paper.

And thanks for the support. I've no clue how to make videos, so making one should be fun =p. Going to borrow a friends camera and he's also going to help me edit the film and such. Gonna be tough to decide which song i want to put it to; too many songs pump me up to pick just one lol.

Thanks everyone =) Will start a journal next week on monday when i have my bench max.
    17 years old
    6'1 243
    Best lifts:
    Bench - 355x1, 350x2
    Squat - 430x1, 405x4
    Clean & Jerk - 240

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    depending on where you're located, why not find the nearest established powerlifting team and go talk to ( and lift with ) them?

You'll learn more in a month that way than you ever will online

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    depending on where you're located, why not find the nearest established powerlifting team and go talk to ( and lift with ) them?

You'll learn more in a month that way than you ever will online

I think this is a good idea. Especially if you live near some pros or lifters who have totaled elite/have a good bench press. You could use them for information and/or quote them as sources in your footnotes or endnotes.

Wannabebig Member
    Hm that would be awesome.. both for my project and development as a lifter..

Does anyone know of some pro lifters living around Tampa, FL? Is there some sort of index i can look over to see who all lives around me?

EDIT: I've searched google and found what looks like the only big power-lifting team i could find: http://www.tampabarbell.com/

Will contact them later today and see about a visit there.
    Last edited by CuT USF FaN; 10-28-2009 at 04:48 AM.
    17 years old
    6'1 243
    Best lifts:
    Bench - 355x1, 350x2
    Squat - 430x1, 405x4
    Clean & Jerk - 240

Quote Originally Posted by CuT USF FaN View Post

Does anyone know of some pro lifters living around Tampa, FL? Is there some sort of index i can look over to see who all lives around me?

EDIT: I've searched google and found what looks like the only big power-lifting team i could find: http://www.tampabarbell.com/

Tommy Fannon is a great guy. He does a lot for lifters. You should be lifting there as often as possible.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

google Dave Tate from Elite Fitness systems and type in 6 week bench press cure. Elite Fitness systems google as well they have great articles

Quote Originally Posted by CuT USF FaN View Post

You live in Tampa. You should not be training with anyone else.
    Roll Tide.