Thread: Shoulder rehab ideas

Hybrid View

Shoulder rehab ideas?

I know a ton of you out there have had shoulder issues that you have gotten past in order to make it on to the platform.

What type of things have you guys had success with rehab wise?
    Last edited by ScottYard; 10-22-2009 at 10:19 AM.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Internal and External rotations while lying on a flat or low incline bench during warm ups. I'll start w/ 2.5lbs, then 5, and maybe a 10lb. d-bell for 10 reps each arm. I'll also stand and use a d-bell to do a lateral raise. I can't remember the name of these, but you tip the front of the d-bell down like pouring water from a jug (thumb down towards ground). When you lift them bring them out at a 45 degree angle from the body so it looks like your in between a front and a side raise.

Another thing that's worked is something I saw described on another site. Take a beach towel or blanket and grab it out towards both ends. Move the towel over your head from front to back so the towel touches the front of your thigh and then the back of your thigh. Perform 50 reps every other day until your shoulders feel better then do them a couple times a week after that. Bring your grip in slowly over time and see if you can still do the movement. This will increase flexiblity in the shoulder.

These have all helped my shoulders a ton. There's also a book called the 7 minute rotator cuff solution that has more good exercises in it.

I've had good luck with 2.5 lb. indian clubs. I wasn't rehabbing a significant injury, but they have kept the aches, pains, and stiffness to a minimum. I know you've been working through an acute injury so I don't know if they will help right away, but for long-term shoulder health I think they are a worthwhile investment. I just do a handful of basic swinging movements 2-3 times a week.

Cortisone and a little rest. It was one of the best things I have ever done for a shoulder problem. I got one right before I had my bicep repaired. We knew then I would give the cortisone time to work. The last thing I remember before the shot was the doctor saying "I have always wanted an excuse to use the the 5 and a half inch needle." Then he buried it in my shoulder. Freaky stuff.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I tore a pec in highschool that bothered my shoulder for a long time. One of the best things I did was build up my rotator cuff strength through various movements, although H rolls seemed to help it the most.

Icing post workout was also very effective. If I iced after the workout, immediately, then the pain was almost non existent, whereas if I waited a few hours it was much harder to get the inflamation down

Pre workout, stretching, warming up and using liniment is very helpful.

I've also used the indian clubs and they are awesome. I try and use them before each bench session now.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I just looked up a vid of Louie doing indian club swings becuase Trav speaks so highly of them. Well, I grabbed some dumbell handles and just put both collars on one end to "sort of" simulate an indian club. Man, those hings are awesome. They stretch and heat up your shoulders immediately. I think I get problems in my right pec beacause I protect my shoulder on that side. Now, both have been hurting me. I am definitely going to add these into my routine. However, I have a few caveats. I cracked myself pretty good in the head one time. Also, my wrists/grip are beat from holding them. I have pathetic grip strength, no matter how hard I work it. So, I think I am going to try the motions with wrist weights. I have wanted to buy a pair for additional weight when walking anyway. I will keep you all informed.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I just looked up a vid of Louie doing indian club swings becuase Trav speaks so highly of them. Well, I grabbed some dumbell handles and just put both collars on one end to "sort of" simulate an indian club. Man, those hings are awesome. They stretch and heat up your shoulders immediately. I think I get problems in my right pec beacause I protect my shoulder on that side. Now, both have been hurting me. I am definitely going to add these into my routine. However, I have a few caveats. I cracked myself pretty good in the head one time. Also, my wrists/grip are beat from holding them. I have pathetic grip strength, no matter how hard I work it. So, I think I am going to try the motions with wrist weights. I have wanted to buy a pair for additional weight when walking anyway. I will keep you all informed.
    I suspect if you get your shoulders a little looser and more mobile it will help some of the pec injury problems. I used to have alot of problems with recurrent pec strains on my left side. My left shoulder was very tight and I think my pec taking a larger share of the load on that side. I started stretching daily, in particular increasing my external rotation on that side, and I've not had any problems with it since. Just some food for thought.
    My hands and fingers used to burn every time I used the indian clubs, but after a few weeks you should adapt.

I wonder if ankle weights would work Vin? I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I wonder if ankle weights would work Vin? I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens.
    Cool, let me know before I go spending money on either.

My shoulder has been gone for over 6 months, I use almost a close grip now that seems to help a lot. Planning on hitting some prs with this grip. Huge difference in pain levels.

Thanls for all the tips guys. All things will be put to use. I have nothing to loose at this point lol.
    Best raw meet lifts

Best lifts Equipped

Wannabebig Member
    Northern Illinois University/Zenzen Barbell
    Freezing water in a styrofoam cup, peel of some styrofoam and then start massaging my shoulder, feels really good. I recently just sprained my AC joint (Grade 1). Should be back to lifting in a week.
    Last edited by TankofZenzenBB; 10-25-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Made indian/leverage clubs out of black pipe from Home Depot today. I love 'em. My shoulder/pec feels much better already. I'm psyched. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Made indian/leverage clubs out of black pipe from Home Depot today. I love 'em. My shoulder/pec feels much better already. I'm psyched. Thanks guys.

Pics please! I need to gain some flexibility in my shoulders and am looking for something like that! And can make damn near anything out of steel!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Im going to have to try that vinny. Just a couple long nipples? How did you make them?
    Best raw meet lifts

Best lifts Equipped

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Im going to have to try that vinny. Just a couple long nipples? How did you make them?
    3/4" nipple 12" long, 3/4 cap on one end, 3/4" to 1 1/4" coupling on the other, then screwed on a 1 1/4" nipple 3" long, and then put a 1 1/4 cap on that end. Two of them cost me $20 at home depot. I'll post up picks later.

I just realized that sounds weird if you never did plumbing work lol
    Best raw meet lifts

Best lifts Equipped

I've found heat helps more than ice. Also, a proper warmup is a must. Internal/external rotations seem to help. You can tell pretty fast if something is weak. My left external rotation was really weak when I started doing them. Also, the root of the problem is rarely where you feel it. I get a lot of back tightness and it causes me shoulder problems. A good chiropractor should be able to pinpoint what's causing the problem vs. where you feel the pain.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

The shoulder is a golf ball on a tee, strengthening those ligaments that hold it in place and keep it tight is always a good idea.

Everyone could use RC strengthening!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Nice. Going to home depot now!
    Best raw meet lifts

Best lifts Equipped

Scott,

Here is something I am trying as a warmup along with some light L-flyes for my shoulders. The injury that I had was not the normal one that is usually talked about with powerlifters. I hurt my my shoulder/armpit area with an off balance Snatch. The pain was unreal in my armpit, especially when I would attempt to squeeze my arms into my sides. It flares up occasionally, sometimes like a few weeks ago when I must have slept wrong on it. It pissed me off and I remember reading about this exercise and found the article. So, I have been doing this for around 3 weeks now and my shoulders are feeling much better. I am using 5lb wrist weights and when I hit some really tight or hot spots in the range of motion I sort of just stop there for a moment and let the weight do its thing and then move on. I have been doing 3 sets of 10 in each direction this far.

http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/WINDMILLS.htm

Im going to try this out as well. Good Idea!
    Best raw meet lifts

Best lifts Equipped

Wannabebig New Member
    The best exercise I used involved using a sled, it was a combination face pull and external rotation using two handles.

Scott,
    Along w/ all the aforementioned exercises, esp. face-pulls, H-rolls, and the like, I also do band pull-aparts and Halo's.

For the halo's I usually use a 25lb. plate and do at least 30 reps. 15 in one direction then 15 in the opposite direction.

They're great for RC work or as a pre-bench warm-up.