The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Training Frequency

Hi Guys

My situation is that I have just returned to the gym after 20 yrs and have to say that I have had two sessions that have been more of me experimenting with machines and free weights in my local gym.

I am as has to be expected a bit sore in most muscle groups that I have used in the session.

My work means that formulating a planned routine is by and large impossible so I will need to hit the gym when i can,the problem being it may be 4 days in a row or adhoc days. I am confident the minimum will be three times a week.

My Question is that when I train body parts on consecutive days when they are still sore,will this stop/slow/hinder my progress.

Cheers

Dave

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do a push/pull split like this. If you can get in the gym 3 nonconsecutive days that would be perfect. This is a pretty decent routine. http://www.wannabebig.com/training/r...ginal-routine/

Day 1- Chest/Back

Day 2- Legs

Day 3- Arms / shoulders

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

Thanks for that Bass,But I maybe did not make my question too clear I am more concerned that if I train bodyparts to often when sore I may be wasting my time because they will not have recovered/gained anything because of the timescale of rest or lack of it.

In a nutshell I guess what I am asking is , is it better to train whenver yiu get the chance or just rest up and risk the next oppourtunity being way off meaning any gains would also be lost/minimal

You should probably have some semblance of a available lifting schedule first. Otherwise, you will have to play it by ear, not expect any serious gains, or do something like crossfit. What exactly do you do that keeps you from having a regular schedule?
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    You should probably have some semblance of a available lifting schedule first. Otherwise, you will have to play it by ear, not expect any serious gains, or do something like crossfit. What exactly do you do that keeps you from having a regular schedule?
    I Work 12 hour shifts and they are by and large on a call out basis so I have no fixed working week as such so its a case of got to do it when its there kind of thing.

Its in the power industry so I expect to be working quite a lot over the next few months ...English Winter bigger demand for power.

On the plus side there is a small dusty old gym on site with a few old machines in there that I may be able to use in my breaks.

Full body routine, twice a week. First day could be Mon, Tues, or Wed. The second day could be Thur, Fri, or Sat. Just make sure you get at least one full day of rest between workouts, preferably two full days though.

Day 1: Squat, Bench, Rows, plus a couple of extras.

Day 2: Deadlift, Shoulder Press,Chin-ups, plus a couple of extras.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Full body routine, twice a week. First day could be Mon, Tues, or Wed. The second day could be Thur, Fri, or Sat. Just make sure you get at least one full day of rest between workouts, preferably two full days though.

Day 1: Squat, Bench, Rows, plus a couple of extras.

Day 2: Deadlift, Shoulder Press,Chin-ups, plus a couple of extras.
    This is a good Idea. Or you could do a 2 on 1 off . I wouldnt worry about the soreness as much as I would recovery. Overtraining is another word for under rested and under fed. You can make great gains with a 2 or 3 day plan. Plus, youll be more motivated to train. The older you get the more rest you need.
    Last edited by Polish Hammer; 10-22-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polish Hammer View Post
    This is a good Idea. Or you could do a 2 on 1 off . I wouldnt worry about the soreness as much as I would recovery. Overtraining is another word for under rested and under fed. You can make great gains with a 2 or 3 day plan. Plus, youll be more motivated to train. The older you get the more rest you need.
    Hi guys thanks for the info.

Polish Hammer I like the look of the 2 on one off routine and I guess it should fit with work. I also intend to use your diet advice on 3 large meals and start to include milk into it.

I intend to do a upper and lower body split over the 2 days.

will keep you posted.

dave

Working toward the next.
    If you can't get to the gym on a regular basis, vary the bodyparts you train. If you train chest and shoulders, and you wake up sore, dont train your arms and shoulders. The soreness will go away after a few weeks. Soreness isnt much of an indicator for anything

as long as you stick through the tough times once you get enough months under your belt you'll get used to your routine no matter how varied it is. You'll get the most out of the time you have and wont worry about the missed opportunities