Thread: Deadlift Form?

Deadlift Form?

Hey All,

I'm really trying to get a feel for the deadlift form. I am currently doing SS, and focusing obsessively on keeping my lower back straight; however, I see many videos go up from people throwing up a lot of weight with a curve in their lower back (like the video below). Am I missing something?

Video
    Last edited by d0rkyd00d; 10-24-2009 at 05:08 PM.

You're not missing anything. Alot of people have crappy DL form. With an all-out max DL it's tough to keep your back perfectly arched, but you shouldn't be humped over like a dog taking a dump.

That guy doesn't have anything even resembling an arch. I would tell him to drop 100lbs and increase slowly, working on keeping a tight arch at all times.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

At the corner of 1st & 1st getting there's Avatar
    Drop the weight down and work on your form, i.e. getting and keeping a good arch. Your hips and butt shoot up right from the start. You have prob. read/heard this before, but think about driving your feet/legs into the floor and keep a good arch.

start incorporating face pulls
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

Quote Originally Posted by the one View Post
    start incorporating face pulls
    No. Adding movements to fix a form problem is never the answer. Addressing the form problem is the sure shot way to fix things.

Drop the weight and focus on the arch. Also, do these:

You can also assume the same position and grab you ankles and pull them forward trying to pull them past your head. Go slowly on these though, as stretching this way too fast puts your back (discs) in a potentially compromising position. This is how I gained tremendous arch flexibility.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-26-2009 at 12:02 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

when is problem is lack of scapular retraction...then yes adding a movement can certainly be part of the solution
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

Quote Originally Posted by d0rkyd00d View Post
    Hey All,

I'm really trying to get a feel for the deadlift form. I am currently doing SS, and focusing obsessively on keeping my lower back straight; however, I see many videos go up from people throwing up a lot of weight with a curve in their lower back (like the video below). Am I missing something?

Video
    Dont worry about someone elses form. Focus on your own. Videotape yourself and post for feedback.

I agree with Ehubbard. Good technique is only guidelines any way. I for the life of me cant pull with my but down. Have tried for years but I have just accepted my own technique and went from there. Even if you look at the big raw puller from europe, konstinov? he pulls with a rounded back. But I recommend you get your feet out wider. Either go sumo or conventional. nothing in between.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Wannabebig Member
    how the heck do you know your back is straight without someone having to tell you?
    Name: Adrian
    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 142 lbs

Goal: To be 175-180 lbs @ 10% body fat.

If at first you don't succeed, YOU WERE TAUGHT BY LOSERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian101 View Post
    how the heck do you know your back is straight without someone having to tell you?
    You should get a spatial sense after a while. It helps to have someone watch you at first to give you feedback, but then you remember how it felt when you did it correctly and can tell yourself.
    For example, I don't need anyone watching to tell me if I'm rounding over significantly in the DL. Unless it's a very tiny amount, I can tell if my back gets out of position.