Thread: eating with a high metabolism....

Wannabebig Member

eating with a high metabolism....

I have a real high metabolism. I was wondering if I should eat 3 big meal's a day in order to not "feed" my metabolism and burn up all the calories,carb's and protine I have eaten. Any advise on this would be greatly appriciated.

Timing and size of meals isn't particularly important in comparison to total intake. Eat, and eat lots.

^--Agreed.

Working toward the next.
    If your'e eating a ton, and youre not gaining weight, dont blame it on toking your metabolism. Just eat more...

It might not be as high as you think it is. Just saying, cause I use to think I had a really high metabolism and I couldnt put on weight for anything. Turns out I wasnt eating enough. I ate more and I gained weight.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

How many calories a day do you eat?
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-25-2009 at 11:31 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    I couldn't tell you exactly. I just started working out thursday so im not positive how many calories im eating a day yet. I have been eating alot of fish,chicken,beef and pork along with veggies and a weight gainer(up your mass) shake. I eat to the point that im almost sick when im done and eat 3 to 4 times heavy a day. I would eat more often but work wont permit it due to not being able to have food at my work station (I work 12 hr day's) Right now im 6'0" and 155lbs. does anyone know the conversion chart as to how many calories and gram's of protien I should be intaking in a day? If anyone know's please let me know so I can keep track of my intake better. Thank's all.

You can use a site like fitday.com to track your calories
    Last edited by given'er; 10-25-2009 at 09:03 PM.

does anyone know the conversion chart as to how many calories and gram's of protien I should be intaking in a day?
    There are numerous formulas and online calculators for determining your maintenance calories. Use them as a very rough guide only. The best way (as others have said) is to track what your eating using a website like fitday.com.
    As for protein intake, for size and strength gains you want at least 1 gram for every pound of bodyweight.

Thus I Refute Thee !!!! Bodyguard's Avatar
    Look at Berfles log. He went from skinny to monster quick.
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 238

All lifts are raw:

Bench: 325(max)
    Squat: 510(max)
    Dead lift: 500(max)

Many guys that say they can't gain really aren't eating as much as they think they are. Write down everything you eat for a week and sit down with a cal book and figure it out (or fitday.com). You'll probably find you aren't eating as much as you thought you were. Then start adding cals to each meal. I find it easier to add meals rather than trying to cram it down in 3 meals, but everyone is different. Whatever works for you.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by mynamzmudd View Post
    I couldn't tell you exactly.
    Until you figure this out you are spinning your tires.

I wrote this for a sticky in the Diet section, read the entire thread for a discussion on various methods:

Here's how I find out my maintenance:

(Keep in mind this is a very strict way to do this, one not need be so strict for results. This is just the working model)

1. I set up a consistent eating program and pledged to adhere to it for a minimum of 4 weeks. It just has to be a program of consistent calorie intake and it has to be at least 4 weeks long. (Six weeks is better and is quite honestly what I would recommend for you, but I had a good long history of weight averages and calorie tracking so I had a very clear idea of what my average weight was when I started, and I could get away with the 4-week version.)

2. I set up a consistent weight-training program that I would adhere to during this time. Again, the important thing is that you COMMIT to your program and you STICK TO IT all the way through. A little variation is all right, because life happens, and we can't always be workout angels...but do not, do not, do NOT plan-jump! I don't care how boring it gets!

3. I set up a consistent program of cardio that I would do during this time. In my case it was zero. If you want to do cardio, that is perfectly fine--plan it in and stick to it. Just know that your eventual calculation of maintenance calories will include several hours of cardio per week. Again, if you like cardio for recreation then that's no problem--you'll be doing it anyway next time you set up a specific weight loss plan, no biggie. Cardio "for weight loss" is quite another matter, however. If you do a bunch of that while you're trying to figure your maintenance, then you will end up with an artificially inflated number at the end of everything. So I would recommend to do recreational cardio only during this time, stuff that you will be doing and enjoying in the future regardless of whether you're trying to lose weight or not.

4. The Weighing: Weigh once a day, at the same time each day. Write this number down. However, we are not going to be all that concerned about daily weight on this program. What I want you to do is keep a rolling average. Add up today's weight with the previous six days' weights, and divide by 7. THIS NUMBER is what you enter into your spreadsheet or whatever you use to keep track of your weight. Do this every morning and at the end of a month you will have a record of AVERAGE weights which will do a lot to smooth out the water bumps and give you some solid information about what your weight has been doing on this amount of calories.

5. The Counting: If you do not have a food scale, don't even think of starting this experiment until you've got one. Volume measurement is not particularly accurate, especially with meats where the water content can vary a great deal depending on how it's been handled. Also, weigh your meat RAW when you are prepping food. Again, water content in a finished meat will vary a lot depending on how it has been cooked. You need the most exact measurements possible. Volume measurement is fine for milk and other liquids, but for solids you must weigh.

Weigh everything that goes in your mouth, insofar as it is practicably possible. Of course there will be occasions over a month's time where it's not a reasonable proposition to do that. I'm not asking you to ruin everyone else's dinner out by freaking over what your piece of meat might have weighed raw. The 80/20 rule applies here...if you weigh 80% of everything, you're in good shape to get a usable estimate at the end of all this.

Vegetables: I did not bother weighing or measuring my vegetables when I did this. I knew I would go mad if I had to weigh and count things like mushrooms, celery and green beans. If counting veg does not bother you, then go ahead and count them. But if you don't want to, then don't stress about it. I don't believe it makes a huge difference.

Free or off-plan meals: Of course this is going to happen from time to time. You can't cancel your life because you're trying to work out your calories. Again, don't stress, just make a note of what you ate and perhaps a rough calorie estimate (you will get very good at estimating calories if you weigh and count the way I recommend). Oh, and I know you're not much of a drinker, but I should mention this...when you do drink, don't just think "awfukit" like many people do. Allow for those calories in your estimate. An average of 150 cals per glass of wine or bottle of beer should be adequate without making you nuts trying to figure out what you had down to the last milliliter.

6. At the End: You will have 4-6 weeks of daily AVERAGE weights, and 4-6 weeks of very precise calorie measurements. I had to do a bit of fiddling because I was on a keto diet, which of course strips a lot of water off with the fat. If you don't go keto then you won't have to do this. All you do, then, is add up your total calories for the entire month (including a reasonable estimate for your free/offplan meals), divide by the number of pounds/kilos change in your weight, and you will get the number of average calories you were under or over. This is your maintenance calorie rate at the moment.

For a bulk: Just take your weekly maintenance and add 3500 calories to it (3500 cals is about 1lb gain or so and is an average of how much muscle one can put on in a given week). Then, if you like use that total to make a carb cycle

EG:
    Say 2700 a day is your maintenance

2700calories x 7 days a week = 18900 calories/week

18900 + 3500 = 22400 calories weekly (bulking at about 1lb a week)

22400calories/7days a week= 3200 calories a day average

To make it a cycle:

22400calories a week = X (3 days) + Y (4 days)

22500calories a week= 3500 (3days) + 3000 (4 days)

Still 3200cal daily average and 22400 calories a week.

This is just a modest cycle. You can push the variables farther apart and get closer to a ketogenic state. Cycling this way will maximize LBM increase and minimize fat gain.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-26-2009 at 11:41 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!