The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Help with Deadlifts

Hey guys, I'll give you a little rundown of my past physical activity. First of all, im a 23 year old male with the goal of reaching the 300b/400s/500d foundation. I am 5'10 and 210 pounds. I recently got accepted into the army as an infantry officer and am heading for my basic military officer qualification course in St. Jean, Quebec in January. I want to be near the top in physical fitness and go in under 200 pounds with a good mix of strength, aerobic and anaerobic cardiovacular fitness. I ran a marathon in Halifax a year and a half ago and I do HIIT outdoors.

Sorry if that background information was a little too long, anyways, before i focus on a more hypertrophy oriented program and lose some mass, I really want to hit the 300/400/500 mark. My program is essentially starting strength focusing on bench, squats and deadlifts but i do also mix in a couple isolation exercises as well. I can bench 295 for 1, I can squat 405 for 1 but my deadlifts are just struggling. I don't use straps and today I could get 405 off the ground, but was not even close to locking it out. Now I am under the impression that my deadlifts should generally be higher than my squats. Is this a cause for concern? I have used straps in the past but have not in about a year. Does anyone have any suggestions to get my lagging deadlifts up with the rest of my lifts? Should I just use straps? Or is this even a real concern that my deadlifts are less than my squats?

Brent

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It sounds like you haven't trained your deads as much as you've trained your squats. Are you going to parallel or past on squats? That could be why your squats are better.

On your deads, if you're having trouble locking out, straps won't change the fact that you can't lockout. Find where your sticking point is - 1/2 way up? - and add rack deads into your routine. Rack deads are done from the safety bars, usually starting a bit below your weak point and going to lockout. They're like doing the top 1/2 (or 3/4) of a deadlift. Make sure to keep regular deads in the routine, as well, maybe alternate weeks.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the advice and I will give that a shot
    But yes I am going to parallel on my squats, i dont do hack squats. I played hockey for a long time so that probably has something to do with me having relatively strong legs.

Check your form on your deads, as well. Make sure you're doing it correctly.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench