Thread: Sumo Deadlift Suit

Wannabebig Member

Sumo Deadlift Suit

I just recently converted from conventional deadlifting to sumo deadlift and wish to compete in a suit in my next contest. Currently with sumo I tend to use a lot of back and very little quad/leg drive. I start off with my legs, but it always fails so I just simple straighten out my legs and do a stiff legged deadlift. But I been working on technique and things are improving.

I am very SLOW off the floor (my final lift took 3 seconds to break the floor this past year) and really fast thereafter. What type of deadlift would suit me well? I been considering using metal suit since I heard many good things about it. But I do not know where to start at all with this, since almost no one deadlifts in Hawaii. Any feedback is welcome.

I've actually used Metal squat suits for sumo pulling with decent results, but that was before they had come out with sumo DL suits. Alot of people seem to like the Metal DL suits, so I think one of their suits would be fine. If you have specific questions about the Metal DL suits, you could submit a question to the elitefts Q&A.
    The suit will help get the weight moving off the floor, but you must have the correct technique. If you try and use mostly back with a sumo DL suit, it won't help you that much. You have to drop your hips to load the suit.

Wannabebig Member
    Oh okay, thanks.

I started with single ply Titan deadlifter and moved up to Metal PRO sumo deadlifter (2ply with adjustable straps). its a very well built suit and the adjustable straps are useful. be wise choosing size because wearing a suit too tight will limit your breathing as your trying to get to the bar. other than that, excellent pop off the floor.