The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I prefer to train with someone who has the same goals and mindset as I do. I found that if I train with someone who is stronger than I am, I will push myself so much harder because I know he will be there to encourage me.

I rather train by myself though if the person im training with has different goals. It does not work very well at all if we have different goals. He will want to do a bunch of abs and running and Im trying to gain weight and dont really care about my abs right now.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

Banned
    Alone.

I miss training with a team tho. At school our coach had our team put all our logs on the wall of the weights room so everybody could see everybody's numbers, check prs, and how we were progressing. That made things really competitive!

At my new uni I've just found out there is an Olympic weights room with platforms, squat racks, a reverse hyper, glute/ham, and a bunch of other cool stuff. Its only really used by the rowing and rugby teams but I'm hoping to find a couple of non-team people interested in doing PL-style training together there.

Alone, most of the athletic activities I do I really perfer to do alone.
    I have a friend that comes over 1-2 days a week to lift. We also play racquetball about 1-2 days a week.

Other then that I cycle alone 99% of the time, and I also love to play golf alone. There is nothing better then playing golf in a light rain with no one else on the course.

I have my poster and me!

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Alone... my brother has been working out with me for the past 6 months and it has helped. Sometimes we lift together, other times he comes in right as I'm finishing up my workout. It is nice having him around as it gets the competitive juices flowing. I would like to lift with a team in order to get my form corrected, learn new things, and just get stronger in general.

For the most part, I train alone. Every thursday I drive an hour and a half to train with my powerlifting crew back home. I find lifting with those guys helps me with my strength (even if its one day a week right now), but when I train alone, I can really crank out my accessory work and help build size too.

In the summer it was monday and thursday with the crew, tuesday and thursday alone.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I'm also a big believer that if you really want to take powerlifting to the next level, and you want to push your body to its absolute limits, you need good training partners/ a good crew.

I find its especially important at meets, having someone handle you that knows how you operate and can help you have an awesome day. Lift offs, to spotting. They know where your slow point of your bench is, but know you can grind through it, whereas someone who doesnt know you may grab the bar early and screw up your lift. They can get you pumped up before a big squat attempt, because you've done it with them before.

Having a good crew to lift with is alot of fun too. The **** talking, the guys that say "dude throw 10 more lbs on, that was too easy", and the guys you compete with mentally. Compared to lifting alone, it's way more fun, and thats why we get into this sport in the first place
    Last edited by Detard; 10-26-2009 at 06:40 PM.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I always liked training alone, until I found people who were stronger than me and could provide good feedback on my lifts. You can train alone and make good gains, but if you have people who know what they are doing and can help you improve your technique, it is priceless. Plus, when you find the right atmosphere it makes training even more enjoyable. That said, I am looking forward to the day when we own a home and I can put a good power rack in the basement or garage.

I generally would rather train alone because most of my mates dick around too much when they're training. With that being said, I have a few friends who have a similar attitude towards training as I do and I very much appreciate and enjoy their motivation and also the knowledge of more experienced trainees.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

I enjoy training alone, but training with a really good team & coach, or a motivated and smart training partner can't be beat.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I do most my training alone, on occasion I travel and lift with other people which I prefer and wish I could do more often, seems like I try harder that way including nailing lifts after I failed them on the previous set.

Those of you who train with partners, how did you pick them?

When I used to train in a commercial gym, often times I'd just become friends with the biggest and strongest guys who seemed to train similar to how I did, were consistent and were at the gym at similar times that I was.

when I would just train with friends who would come in and think they wanted to train with me, it always seemed to be a bit of a burden instead.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I've always done better training with at least one other person. It has always helped me to train with someone stronger than me. I think this has helped break down mental barriers by showing me that weights I used to think were out of my reach were achievable.
    When I moved to Ohio I found a gym with a monolift and reverse hyper so I figured there had to be at least one powerlifter training there. I found out from the gym owner who the powerlifters were and when they trained. Then I came in when they were training and introduced myself and went from there.

I have always trained alone. I have friends that are at the gym I go to, but I don't train like they do, so I don't lift with them. I used to lift with a buddy years ago, but he was very not into it, and he always brought me down. I would basically do less then I wanted to every session to try and basically "compromise" with him...it was no good. And that was back before I even squatted and deadlifted. Hell, there's no way in hell he would even be willing to hang with me for 5 minutes training the way I do now....it was all bi's and chest back then, lol, and he still b****ed! So now I train alone, and I'm happy!

I like to lift on my time, and train at my own pace. I don't like to have to work with someone else's schedule.

But all that being said, I never trained with SERIOUS people like you guys, so I don't know what it would be like training with a crew of strong, serious lifters......
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

I would have the opposite problem...I'd want to do less exrcises and sets than most guys would.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I train with a group of about 8 people of various levels and abilities, usually of whom 4 or 5 show up on any given day because of our schedules. Part of my time is spent coaching them in between my own lifts. I've never felt it was detrimental to my lifting at all, and actually it motivates me quite a bit to have people there watching and to cheer me on, critique my form, etc. Plus it helps to have people there to hold boards, help you get in the equipment, spot, load, etc.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I train with people in the gym and feel comfortable that way, in case of something going wrong. I prefer to "lift" solo, as in I can have people around, but I want to lift by just myself with the exception of spotters. In the case that I find someone that is literally my equal in strength I wouldnt mind training with them as long as they knew how to lift and the essentials, etc. Also like a few of you, I enjoy having people watch me do "weird" things (glute ham raise sit ups get a lot of weird looks for some reason) or lift heavy, and the looks they get or the motivation they provide!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post

When I used to train in a commercial gym, often times I'd just become friends with the biggest and strongest guys who seemed to train similar to how I did, were consistent and were at the gym at similar times that I was.

when I would just train with friends who would come in and think they wanted to train with me, it always seemed to be a bit of a burden instead.
    WHen I was at a commercial gym, I hated EVERYONE haha - No one lifted heavy, and the free weight area was littered with DB's and fixed BBs from curl/bench monsters. But I digress.

I trained with 1mmort4l from here for a while, we both dug MMA and pushing the **** out of each other when we trained - we both kind of agreed on what we liked doing etc.

As far as the guys I try to meet up with now, they need help getting their gear on or lift offs/spots and I need help with it too - so it works out pretty well, and we all shoot the **** WAY to much. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post

I went on powerlifting watch, found the closest gym to me listed, and sent an email to them. They responded right away and said to come check it out. Was there within a week, joined that night, and fit in with the group right off the bat. Even if your goal is to be a bodybuilder, or just to get stronger, training with strong powerlifters has its advantages.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Alone.

I've trained with partners in the past, but I never could find someone who genuinely loved it and was in it for the long haul. Add to that about 99% of them thought it was all about chest and biceps.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    I started lifting at a co-worker's basic garage gym. I really needed to have a training partner at that time or I would not have stuck with it long enough to see any results. Having someone to be accountable to was a huge influence to not skip any workouts. That was the biggest hurdle for me to overcome in the beginning. After getting past that, I knew that it would be a permanent lifestyle change for me. We had a very competitive atmosphere, and I pushed myself harder than I otherwise would have. I probably would not be lifting today if I had started out doing this on my own.

But there came a time when I was eager to take it to the next level and the other guy was happy with the status quo. So I built my own garage gym around a power rack after gaining some info here. I have enjoyed lifting alone since then. On two different occasions, others have lifted with me, but were more interested in "jaw jacking" than getting down to business. After cracking down on them to get serious, it wasn't long before they cut out.

In the years since, I've found that lifting alone in my garage has become my source of meditation. By myself, and in the zone. Just the way I prefer it.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    I'm also a big believer that if you really want to take powerlifting to the next level, and you want to push your body to its absolute limits, you need good training partners/ a good crew.

I find its especially important at meets, having someone handle you that knows how you operate and can help you have an awesome day. Lift offs, to spotting. They know where your slow point of your bench is, but know you can grind through it, whereas someone who doesnt know you may grab the bar early and screw up your lift. They can get you pumped up before a big squat attempt, because you've done it with them before.

Having a good crew to lift with is alot of fun too. The **** talking, the guys that say "dude throw 10 more lbs on, that was too easy", and the guys you compete with mentally. Compared to lifting alone, it's way more fun, and thats why we get into this sport in the first place
    Good post Detard. I think its different between BBs and PLs. Its easier to train as a BBer alone where a PLer is really pushing his strength limits and things like a good handoff are crucial. Good gains definitely can be made alone, but having a great crew adds much more. I just started benching with Tone and his crew 2/3 x a month and I've already learned a ton that I wouldn't have known alone.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Wannabebig Member shutUpAndSquat's Avatar
    i've started training with a partner, and what i can say about it is: never train with someone (much) less experienced than you. You'll waste time. If we don't consider the time loss, i think training with a partner will push you to give the best. Certainly you're not going to show your pal you can't go heavy enough!

But if i have to choose, alone is the asnwer. Good spotters provide enough motivation.

I now train alone in my garage, I used to have a training partner but over time he became less interested and eventually stopped coming and like others have said too much messing about for my liking as i'm quite serious when i'm lifting it was really for the better in the long term.

Saying that I do enjoy lifting with others and from time to time will go to a local gym with some of my mates.

Might even go next week
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    DavyRen - All around nice guy. Respectful to the end.

I mainly train with a team...I have trained alone in the past and I honestly its fine for the lighter easier workouts, but I cannot get motivated by myself to push it harder..NOTHING beats training with a group that all have similar goals..especially if they are all similar in strength levels as you always pushing yourself to beat the other guys in your group. If you have never done this before you really dont know what your missing and how much further you could take your training!