Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Train Alone? Or Strength In Numbers?

Alone. I used to train with some friends they're unreliable and generally unmotivated. Im sick of having to listen to them talking like a bunch of ladies at a tea party and spending 2+ hours in the gym to do stuff I could do in half that time.
    Finding like minded training partners would be great tho, but my work schedule is probably going to get in the way.
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

John 15:13 KJB

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by EatMyWay2TheTop View Post
    Alone. I used to train with some friends they're unreliable and generally unmotivated. Im sick of having to listen to them talking like a bunch of ladies at a tea party and spending 2+ hours in the gym to do stuff I could do in half that time.
    Finding like minded training partners would be great tho, but my work schedule is probably going to get in the way.
    This is me too... Unmotivated training partners, and guys that don't take it as seriously as I do are a major turn off.

I much prefer to train with a partner, but rarely do.

That's why I can't wait to train with Kiaran and CManuel tomorrow!
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

I made the best gains i've ever had training with a bunch ov guys who were all stronger and stronger than me. That atmosphere was relatively short-lived unfortunately. I've tried for years since to start up another club like that one and hopefully attract stronger lifters... but i just dont live in a very populated area. Now i train with a couple like-minded lifters (that i actually have to train), but i'm still far stronger. I hate that. Haven't found anyone yet as driven as i am (or even as strong) to train with, pretty sure i'd have to move to find that now. I ****ing hate training alone. I feed off other people. And further, now that i'm weightlifting, training without a good coach is kind ov a waste ov time. Training has pretty much sucked for this whole year.

Wannabebig Member
    I train alone. I alternate every now and then between going to Gold's and when I can't make it there, I'll lift with my two friends at one of their houses with a home gym. Although I get better workouts at Gold's gym. It's the environment. When I'm with my friends, I'll notice that I'll just be yapping and not take my workout seriously, so I'm not "into it". Yet at an actual gym, it's me, my mp3, and the iron. Nothing else, so I can actually focus.
    Goals By January 5th 2015
    Bench Press - 225
    Deadlift - 455
    Squat - 365
    Weight - 205 lbs
    Current Stats
    Bench Press - 185 lbs
    Deadlift - 405 lbs
    Squat - 325 lbs
    Weight - 192 lbs

I train with the same training partner all the time. If not I'd train on my own. Other people like to talk to much in my gym. It's always good to have a spot on heavier sets tho

Ipod + good music = fine training alone.
    I like lifting stuff.

I just recently bought a house and moved away from a gym with powerlifting equipment near my old apartment. Comparing the gym setting with my garage, I think they are on equal footing, primarily because of the lack of like-minded people to train with. I train once a week with a bunch of guys (including two top level lifters) and I much prefer that setting to training alone in my garage. I can't seem to make any significant gains at this point by myself. Coaching cues have always helped me maintain my form. Without them my technique begins to fall apart. As someone relatively new to geared lifting (roughly 2.5 years) it is vital that my technique is on, or I will develop/maintain bad habits. So in this way training alone is counterproductive, perhaps because of my own technical failures. As for motivation levels, I find myself more motivated in a group setting (so long as it's the right group), but there are times when pysically I can not get motivated.

I don't mind training with people that are not as strong, but only if they "get it" and listen. First off, I know I have a TON to learn but I have had training partners who would constantly ask for advice and then never listen and whirl themselves into a circle because of too much time spent online or with their nose in a book written my a strength geek. I recently had one of my training partners tell me that I should do "pause squats". This is someone who I respect immensly and was advice that he got from the Big C, himself. Now I could have said or thought a bunch of things about that advice including 1) I dont know if they will help because the weight will be so light (i.e., how am I going to squat 800 if I am only using 300 lbs in bar weight); 2) That worked for you because you squat more closed stance, I squat more wide stance so I should work on my hip strength; 3) I dont pause when I squat in a meet so why should I in training? or 4) The person that gave you that advice didn't squat in today's gear so how do I know it will work?. I could take this advice and turn it a 1,000 different ways into why it wont work, or why I may know better. But the bottom line is this, he has been around this sport longer than I have been doing squat rack curls at 24 hr fitness, he totals a bunch more than me, and well if I expect people to listen to me one day I should do the same. And you know what, I started doing these and I am weak as piss. So, if you really want to excel in any strength sport I think it is most important to surround yourself with people stronger than you (even if it is only once a week).