Thread: Is this realistic ?

Is this realistic ?

Hello all

Being a newby (older) I am reading loads of stuff on here and other sites,jusr recently i watched a youtube video where a guy talks about bulking up. In the video he makes the statement that a hard gainer will be lucky if he can put on 5lb of muscle per year using a very clean bulking diet and good weight training regime.

5lb does not seem a lot, is this realistic.

Dave
    Last edited by thecoder0; 10-26-2009 at 12:42 PM.

I've put on 15 lbs in the past 4 weeks. However, I wouldn't call myself a hard gainer. I attribute it to Starting Strength, 1 gram of protein per 1lbs of body weight, sufficient calories and proper rest.

The Caveat: 4 months ago I was a little under my current weight, with less strength and less muscle mass. I took 2 months off from training, got fat (relatively) and then started a hard core diet and lost 13 lbs in a little over 1 month.

So... I went from 172lbs, after half-assed training for a year. Took two months off and lost a lot of strength and unfortunately gained fat mass. Then, went on a strict diet and went down to 159 lbs.

After getting back in to the gym and making sure I had the right diet, I've gained about 15 lbs in the last 4 weeks. I am roughly at about 175lbs.

These are all rough numbers, due to the fact I used several different scales. But I can tell a big different in my size after these 4 weeks.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

if its that scooby guy, its pretty much 100% bs.

Like the previous poster, heavy lifting (such as SS) coupled with heavy eating will pack on a good deal of muscle mass

Quote Originally Posted by Alyion View Post
    if its that scooby guy, its pretty much 100% bs.

Like the previous poster, heavy lifting (such as SS) coupled with heavy eating will pack on a good deal of muscle mass
    Yes it was that scooby guy..looking at his shape and size he must know something ?

Quote Originally Posted by thecoder0 View Post
    Hello all

Being a newby (older) I am reading loads of stuff on here and other sites,jusr recently i watched a youtube video where a guy talks about bulking up. In the video he makes the statement that a hard gainer will be lucky if he can put on 5lb of muscle per year using a very clean bulking diet and good weight training regime.

Dave
    Dave -

Welcome to WBB.

Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there. The even more confusing part is that many people who look good actually have no clue when it comes to proper training, diet, or supplements.

From my personal observations I would say that almost any individual should be able to gain at least double the 5 lbs figure, barring any kind of medical condition that may be inhibiting their progress (diseases or disorders, not genetics).

The number that I suggest to most first year trainees is somewhere between 15-20 lbs of mass in your first year. This all depends on your current bodyfat level, your body type, dedication, and various other physical factors.

This site is a good resouce for general information and I think that you will find a nice balance of veteran and newer/intermediate lifters, each with their own perspective.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 10-26-2009 at 02:12 PM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    I recently gained 3.44 lbs of muscle in a month on a bulk. I consider myself to be on an intermediate level and It wasn't a very clean bulk. 5lbs per year on a clean bulk even for a hard gainer does not honestly seem realistic in my book. Unless maybe the guy was talking about a pro bodybuilder thats already at the top of their game possibly.... Dunno about that.

Chris aceto says after the newbie gains an average natural will only gain 4 to 6 pounds of muscle a year, really on the lower end of that. A lot of people don't realize how true this statement is, you may have put on 25 or 30 good pounds during your bulk and still look fairly lean but a lot of people really write off how much fake weight they're holding as muscle. Namely glycogen.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    you may have put on 25 or 30 good pounds during your bulk and still look fairly lean but a lot of people really write off how much fake weight they're holding as muscle. Namely glycogen.
    this is also true as well, there is also a difference between lean/non fat mass and dry muscle mass as well.

Plus I dont like that scooby fitness guy because he seems to be one of those "firming and toning" fellas, plus he has you doing squats on a skateboard
    Last edited by Alyion; 10-27-2009 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thecoder0 View Post
    Hello all

Dave
    Newbies can put on tons of muscle, like Tom said. The part that I have a problem with is "hardgainer". 99% of the time, there's no such thing. A hardgainer just means you don't eat enough.
    If you're committed to doing a really clean bulk, then it will take longer to put on muscle and weight.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

People have misused the term Hardgainer for years. It just simply refers to somebody with AVERAGE genetics for strength and size. It has nothing to do with how skinny you are starting off, or how hard you have to work to get results (everybody has to work hard for results).
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Newbies can put on tons of muscle, like Tom said. The part that I have a problem with is "hardgainer". 99% of the time, there's no such thing. A hardgainer just means you don't eat enough.
    If you're committed to doing a really clean bulk, then it will take longer to put on muscle and weight.
    Thats good to hear and one other thing that kind of bothers me is my age. That is at the grand old age of 47 an I maybe expecting too much.

I notice rbtrout that you are age 46 so your opinions on starting/succeeding in putting on some mass and progressing strength wise. I am also keen to hear from other "older members" experiences,the good the bad the ugly.

Also a big thanks to all that have taken the time to give me feedback so far

cheers

Dave

I'll be 47 in one week. I'm right there with you and there's several others, as well. Two that stand out to me are Off Road and Big Tall Ox.

You can put on size and strength at our age. Like everything, it just requires focus, drive and consistency. You can do it.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Dave -

Welcome to WBB.

Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there. The even more confusing part is that many people who look good actually have no clue when it comes to proper training, diet, or supplements.

From my personal observations I would say that almost any individual should be able to gain at least double the 5 lbs figure, barring any kind of medical condition that may be inhibiting their progress (diseases or disorders, not genetics).

The number that I suggest to most first year trainees is somewhere between 15-20 lbs of mass in your first year. This all depends on your current bodyfat level, your body type, dedication, and various other physical factors.

This site is a good resouce for general information and I think that you will find a nice balance of veteran and newer/intermediate lifters, each with their own perspective.

Hope this helps.
    Many thanks Tom your help is appreciated.

Dave