Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim K's Journal

Hybrid View

Tim K's Journal

Stats for 10/26/2009:
    Height: 5' 6"
    Weight: 175 ~ 177 lbs

Background:
    My last powerlifting competition was back in 1986. I lifted in the 133-148 weight class. I took the class and overall win with a 960 lbs raw total. I really had no clue what I was doing and didn't have any 'equipment' aside from a thin leather bodybuilding weight belt. Ah... good times. Shortly after that competition I became more involved with motorcycle roadracing and lifting was placed on the back burner.

Fast forward about a decade and half. I had gotten married, had a kid, went through college, started a career, and all those other things that make up a busy life. In addition, I live and work on a horse farm. Free time is rare.

Once the daughter went to college I turned her room into a weight room and started over. By the time I hit 40 I was weighing 193 lbs and had a decent build.

Shortly thereafter I tore my hamstring running after a loose horse. I got that healed and then strained my groin trying a sumo style deadlift. Being an idiot I didn't let that heal and tore it pretty good doing squats. I'm old, so it took awhile to get all of that straightened out.

Once I got everything healed up I was back on the lifting wagon. Last November I decided to give bronc riding a try. I lasted all of a second (I'm being generous too) and ripped my biciptal tendon.

During my off time I ballooned up to a whopping 198 lbs. This February I entered a Biggest Looser competition at work and dropped to 166 lbs in 12 weeks. Since then I've been slowly working my way back to health and heavy weights. My current routine is 5/3/1 and I've just started my 31st week.

WEEK 31
    Standing Military Press
    Bar x 20
    70 x 5
    85 x 5
    100 x 3
    110 x 5
    125 x 5
    145 x 6

Incline Bench
    135 x 10 x 3

Tricep Pushdowns
    60 x 15 x 3

Pull-ups
    BW x 10
    +25 x 5
    +45 x 3
    +25 x 5
    BW x 10

BW = 179.8 lbs <- Too much beer and pizza this weekend.
    Last edited by Tim K; 06-22-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Nice seeing you start up the journal, good luck reaching your goals.

Thanks CoCoa!

Not much happening today. Warmed up, hit some stretches, really concentrated on my legs and back. I tweaked something in my last week and its been giving me some grief. A little prehab today will help with deadlifts tomorrow.

Great start to your workout log. You know that broncs are a young man's game, right? Haha. I used to ride bulls and bareback horses through high school and college. Then I got old and started roping. Haha. Anyways, I'll be following your log. Us old guys have to stick together.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I certainly don't bounce like I did when I was younger and the ground has gotten harder. However, I can still move pretty quick. When all you can see if flying hooves, it provides a lot of motivation to get out of the arena. Sad part is - we're primarily a Dressage barn. LMAO! Wife is loving natural horsemanship and making huge progress applying cowboy knowledge to other equine sports. Myself - I'm hanging up my spurs. LOL

I've never done any dressage...I've always been a "jump on and gather cows" kind of guy.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Working with cows is probably more rewarding than Dressage Divas... LOL

No kidding

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your workouts. It looks really good so far.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I just got a deep tissue/sport therapy massage. I'm probably going to push deadlifts off for one day. Nice thing about lifting heavy only three days a week, you can really listen to your aches and pains and adjust accordingly. I'm shooting for a minimum of 5 reps with 345 lbs. Should be fun!

Deadlifts
    165 x 10
    205 x 5
    245 x 3
    265 x 5
    305 x 5
    345 x 8 - added chalk and belt PR
    205 x 10 x 2
    185 x 10
    165 x 10

Ab Pulldowns
    70 x 20 x 5

BW = 176.4 lbs
    Last edited by Tim K; 10-29-2009 at 05:07 PM.

Strong pulling.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I feel that my deadlifts are my weakest lift. I actually squat more than I deadlift. I've been dealing with lower back issues since I was 23. I think, when I pull, if I feel a bit of pain in my lower back and I stop - force of habit. I'll continue to get stronger and do better.

Bench
    Bar x 20
    100 x 5
    125 x 5
    150 x 3
    165 x 5
    190 x 5
    215 x 9 - competition grip
    135 x 10 x 3 - close grip

BOBR
    135 x 10 x 3

Face Pulls
    50 x 15 x 3

BW = 176.6 lbs

Solid benching and all bro.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Solid benching and all bro.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Nothing much today, just lots and lots of stretching. On a side note, one of my wife's student got dumped in the competition arena yesterday. Horse hit the canter and decided to eject the student. One good, solid buck and she was gone.One of the comments heard: "I didn't think a horse that fat could get that high!"

Student is okay and we'll chalk it up to another learning experience.

Squats - started with knee sleeves
    Bar x 10
    165 x 5
    205 x 5
    245 x 3
    265 x 5
    305 x 5 - added belt
    345 x 5

It was cold in the garage tonight, so I wore two shirts. When I put my belt on, I didn't get it low enough. I think it was my second or third rep with 305 the belt dug up under my ribs resulting in a lot pain. I put 345 on the bar and suffered through another 5 reps, but I doubt I got low enough to count them as full squats. Workout didn't go as planned but I got the basics done. Should be good for presses on Wednesday. I'm hoping it wont be an issue for deadlifts on Friday.

Big squat!!! I don't wear a belt...ever. Do you often have problems with it digging into you?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Thanks!

When I first got the belt before it was broken in I had some issues. Part of it is I'm short. But once I learned to wear the belt low, it hasn't bothered me. Today, with the extra shirt on, I just didn't get it set right. Totally and completely my fault. I wear a belt because I have some back issues - including a degenerated lower lumber disc. As the weight I can handle increases, I increase the weight at which I put on the belt. Plus, wearing the belt helps remind me to push out with my stomach to make a more stable core. When I get fatigued, I'll often wear the belt loose just to remind me about staying tight and to push out with my abs.
    Last edited by Tim K; 11-02-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I've been dealing with lower back issues since I was 23. I think, when I pull, if I feel a bit of pain in my lower back and I stop - force of habit. I'll continue to get stronger and do better.
    Certainly for me half of my problem was fear or re-injury. It's always scary to think about doing something that might incapacitate you again for some time. I'm over that fear now and because of that I have allowed myself to get stronger and do better. It's not easy though, sometimes there is a twinge and those thoughts re-enter my mind briefly. But then if I think like that I achieve nothing. What will be, will be I guess.

I wear a belt because I have some back issues - including a degenerated lower lumber disc.
    Is this from normal wear and tear or an accident? Thanks for following my journal and for your comment. I will look forward to reading your journal updates too.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Lean Mean Machine in progress!
    Go hard or go home!

GoodyGirl's Lean Mean Machine Journal

Quote Originally Posted by GoodyGirl View Post
    Is this from normal wear and tear or an accident? Thanks for following my journal and for your comment. I will look forward to reading your journal updates too.
    Not normal wear and tear - combination of bad genes, getting thrown from horses, and tossed from motorcycles. I was not kind to my body when I was young. Now I'm trying to make up for the mistakes of my youth.

Strong looking stuff in here Tim!!
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

getting thrown from horses
    I hear ya...my knee is so messed up from those stupid horses. I have always wanted to try a strongman competetition but my knee would never hold up to the mobility stuff.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Ribs still feel smashed. I'll sit one more day out and hit Military Presses tomorrow. Deads are Friday... I can feel the pain from here! :lol:

Appreciate the comments guys. Honestly, I don't feel my numbers are all that great. I'm pretty thankful my knees are still doing pretty good. I think you've had a rougher time with the equines than I've had Off Road.

Wife didn't let me lift today. Says my ribs are still too dinged up. I'll have to wait until she goes to work tomorrow and then sneak in some Military Presses.

Wife didn't let me lift today. Says my ribs are still too dinged up. I'll have to wait until she goes to work tomorrow and then sneak in some Military Presses.
    Hahaha, you should listen to your wife. Wives are always right!!! I say that, because I am one! *wink wink* oh and you really don't want to hurt yourself, so be careful!
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Lean Mean Machine in progress!
    Go hard or go home!

GoodyGirl's Lean Mean Machine Journal

Quote Originally Posted by GoodyGirl View Post
    Hahaha, you should listen to your wife. Wives are always right!!! I say that, because I am one! *wink wink* oh and you really don't want to hurt yourself, so be careful!
    I'm not going to argue with that statement as it is a fight I would surely lose. I'm impatient. I hate healing injuries. Aside from some pain every time I move, I don't feel bad at all. I'm just beat up, not broken.