Squats - 12" Box
    Bar x 10 - knee wraps
    135 x 5
    160 x 5
    190 x 3
    240 x 5
    270 x 3
    300 x 1 - added belt
    315 x 1 -13" box - added Centurion briefs for fun. Cut the box a little high.
    315 x 1 - 13" box - Got down to the box.

Deadlifts - 1.5" deficit
    260 x 5 - used double overhanded grip and wrist straps
    295 x 3
    330 x 4 - PR

Ab Pulldowns
    100 x 10
    80 x 24
    80 x 12 x 2

Been feeling run down all day. Not much in the way of energy. It was hard dragging myself to the power rack. I got my prescribed reps on box squats and decided to reward myself with a little fun.

I got a pair of Centurion Briefs at the beginning of December and have yet to use them. Today, I was going to bust my cherry - so to speak. I didn't think there was much chance of me getting down to 12", so I upped the box to 13" and gave it a go.

My first attempt was high. I did a couple reps with nothing on my back to show myself I could hit the depth and my next set at 315 was cake. Squatting with briefs is a bit different.

My left bicep is pretty tweaked. I used a double overhanded grip with wrist straps to take the strain of my bicep. I wouldn't have been able to deadlift otherwise. At the moment, grip isn't my problem. Raw strength is. I got some decent reps in and that was what really mattered.

Despite feeling wiped out, I was able to hike just a bit north of vag and get some work down. Pops would be proud.
    Last edited by Tim K; 01-11-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Bench
    Bar x 10
    105 x 5
    135 x 3
    160 x 5
    195 x 3
    250 x 1 - felt surprisingly easy
    320 x 2 - reverse band with purple bands (takes off about 80 lbs at the chest)
    335 x 1 - reverse band with purple bands - PR

Bench - close grip (about half a thumb length from the smooth part of the bar)
    185 x 5 x 2
    185 x 9 - Wanted to see how many I could do. Came out of the groove on the 9th rep.

Felt very strong tonight. Everything went up very easy. The bigger weights still felt heavy, but they moved easy. Missed the rows and face pulls. I'm trying to give my left bicep a rest.
    Last edited by Tim K; 01-14-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Deload!

Squat - narrow stance (feet just wider than shoulder width), ATG
    bar x 5 - started with knee sleeves
    135 x 5
    160 x 5
    190 x 10 x 5 - added weight belt. I'm going to wear this until I gain my confidence in the belt again.

Good Mornings
    95 x 10 x 4

Ab Pulldowns
    80 x 15 x 4
    70 x 20 x 1

It has been awhile since I've done a narrow stance squat. My quads are on fire. The GMs finished off my hamstrings and lower back. After all that, abs were a pleasure. Great workout tonight!

Not much going on tonight...

Jumped rope, band good mornings, ab pulldowns, stretching... just getting some work in and trying to loosen up a little.

Deloads are boring. Fortunately, we can relish in the fact that our body's are growing.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Normally I look forward to deloads. I need the break. This time, I don't wanna deload! I wanna lift!

Deload Week

Squats - narrow stance, ATG
    Bar x 10
    135 x 5
    165 x 5
    195 x 5
    225 x 15 - wanted 20 reps, but too gassed after 15
    225 x 10
    225 x 12 - haven't done squats for reps in awhile. Forgot how much fun it is!
    315 x 3 - reverse bands - greens. Just for fun.

BW = 184 lbs

Bodyweight is slowly coming down from my holiday binging. My left bicep is still being a little beee-otch. Seems it didn't like holding the entire weight of a flat screen TV. Well, it wasn't the weight as much as my little T-Rex like arms being stretched to their maximum to hold the TV.

I had a lot of fun squatting for reps. It has been a long time and I've forgotten what a challenge it could be. Ideally I would love to be hitting 315 for sets of 10. Might give it a go in a month.

I'm also happy how nothing felt heavy. Even unracking 315, it felt light. I'm super-stoked! Might not have been the best deload workout ever, but I sure had fun.

Military Press
    Bar x 15
    70 x 5
    85 x 5
    100 x 3
    110 x 5
    125 x 5
    145 x 9 - PR Came so close to getting the 10th rep, just couldn't get it locked out. Grrrr@it!

Incline Bench
    185 x 5 x 3

Triceps Pushdown
    60 x 15 x 4

Kroc Rows
    80 x 12 x 3 - It has been a long, long time since I've done Kroc Rows. Now I remember why I love them so much! Didn't bang up my bicep much at all either.

BW = 183

I looked back through some workouts and I believe 145 x 9 is a PR.

I couldn't sleep last night. Ever since Hurricane Hugo, I have trouble sleeping during big storms. The more wind there is, the worse I sleep. I finally crashed around 3:30 AM and got about 4 hours sleep. I'm pretty happy with my workout considering my lack of rest.

Unlike some folks, I need lots and lots of sleep.

Nice press
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Nice press
    Mucho Gracias! I've always felt my press was a weak point (But then again, I feel that way about all my lifts), so I've been working hard at getting better. My best, all time push press was 205 at 193 lbs BW. For strict Military Press it is 170 lbs at 178 lbs BW. I really want a BW strict Military Press. I think I'm real, real, real close.
    Last edited by Tim K; 01-25-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Timmmmmmmy!!! Hi Nice Military Press PR! Sorry I've been absent lately. Holidays..... kids ....... husband..... ALL OF THEM AT HOME!!! FOR 5 LONG WEEKS! Argh! Anyway, I'm slowly regaining my sanity now that school & work have returned and am looking forward to routine again. I shall endeavour to pop my head in here a little more often. Thanks so much for all of your support in my journal. Your comments and suggestions are very much appreciated. And in my 9 months of solid training I must admit, I've not done a deload. Is that a bit naughty? Or can I get away with it 'cause I'm a girl and girls lift sissy weights! lol. Stay well Tim. No more cracked ribs, ok?
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Lean Mean Machine in progress!
    Go hard or go home!

GoodyGirl's Lean Mean Machine Journal

Warm-up = jumping rope for 6 minutes

Squats - Narrow stance; ATG
    Bar x 15
    135 x 5
    165 x 5
    195 x 3
    215 x 5
    245 x 5 - added belt
    280 x 5 - felt easy. I am digging these shoulder width stance squats. I'm getting all the way down, past parallel and driving hard back up. Lots of speed, but then again, I'm not squatting anything heavy yet either.

Deadlifts - 1.5" deficit plus my boots
    235 x 5
    270 x 5
    305 x 7 - initially my deadlifts felt good. As the weight got heavier the strain on my left bicep increased. I felt I could have grunted another 2 or 3 reps out, but my arm started to hurt and my form started to fall apart. I shut it down before I hurt anything worse.

I feel pretty confident I can pull 365 from a 1.5" deficit right now. I'm becoming more comfortable with the extra reach. I'll see if I can get a video of my next deadlift session. I have no idea how ugly my form really is.

Ab pulldowns
    70 x 20 x 5

Was dragging arse heading into the gym today. Jumping rope got my blood pumping and I got in a good workout.

On a side note, we picked up a miniature horse from a rescue mission today. The poor little guy was from an abused home. His pasture mate starved to death before they could be rescued. Now we have a new addition to the farm.

I'll post some pics up when I get them. Right now he is a furry little mud ball and thinks he is ten feet tall. The other horses aren't really sure what to make of him. Maybe we should call him Napoleon?

Warm up - jump rope for about 5 minutes

Bench - P.O.R.
    Bar x 10
    110 x 5
    135 x 5
    160 x 3
    175 x 5
    200 x 5
    230 x 6 - missed my 7th rep. I ran out of air. Over all it felt damned light and very fast.
    315 x 1 - minus purple bands
    330 x 0 - minus purple bands. I lost my setup unracking the weight. Instead of playing it smart, I went with it anyway. At the bottom I knew it wasn't happening and didn't even try to press it back up. A smart person would have re-racked the weight, re-setup, and hit the weight. Guess what kind of person I am?

Bench - close grip
    135 x 12 x 3 - weight felt super-light! Very good reps!

Kroc Rows
    80 x 12 x 2
    80 x 20 - I love Kroc Rows!

Face Pulls
    50 x 15 x 3

Ab Pulldowns
    80 x 15 x 2
    80 x 20

BW = 184 lbs

We are experiencing a freezing rain down here. Heat pumps don't operated very efficiently right around the 32 F mark. Mine kept cutting off to thaw the outside unit, which resulted in one chilly workout. All in all, a very good workout!

Are you gonna be at the Columbia meet on April 17th? I plan on competeing there.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

I just saw that today. I have a horse show on April 10, so it depends on what the farm looks like after the show. I'm hoping to make it up there!

Jumped rope for a little bit, stretched, did some band work.

Squats - Olympic style ATG
    Bar x 10
    135 x 5
    165 x 5
    195 x 3
    230 x 3
    260 x 3 - added belt
    295 x 3
    315 x 2 - Came just a hair forward on the second rep and tweaked the hell out of my left calve. Same calve I pulled four years ago. It has been giving me some grief from jumping rope and tonight I torqued it good. Getting old sucks... I have the connectivity tissue of a 90 year old. I'm ready for some DMSO and aspirin.
    365 x 1 - minus purple bands. Why? Because I'm an impatient idiot. I can't walk, but I can squat. I was going to give 405 a ride, but I'm sure that would have broke something.

I hadn't planned on doing anything else tonight (aside from abs). I'm giving my bicep a little time off. I am getting very tired of constantly tearing something up. Seems as if my left side is falling apart.

What really, really, really sucks is I'm feeling strong. Very strong! I know I had at least 5 reps total at 315. Probably more. This is my year to finally get some legitimate lifts over 405. I honestly feel that next year will see me over 500 lbs in the squat. I doubt I'll ever be a great deadlifter, but that doesn't mean I can't be a good one. I'm also confident I'll hit 305 on bench this year.

It is all there, if I can stay injury free. I'm going to have spend more and more time on prehab stuff. Looks like I need to invest in some Indian Clubs, kettle bells, etc.

I can't walk, but I can still squat!

Military Press
    Bar x 10 x 3
    70 x 5
    85 x 5
    100 x 3
    120 x 3
    135 x 3
    150 x 7 - reset after 5 and got 2 more. I wanted another one, but my form was starting to give a little. With my track record of late, I shut it down.

I set up for incline bench but decided to end my workout on a good note. I need to rest and heal a little. I'm going to move Friday's squat and deadlift session to Monday, giving me more time to recuperate. On Friday, I'll bench instead. While not ideal, it'll work for this week.

I'm scheduled to bench 240 for 3 reps. I should be able to hit an easy 4. I'm gonna go for 5! We'll see if I can get any leg drive under me.

Calve is feeling pretty good. Looks like I just tweaked it. More stretching tonight!
    Last edited by Tim K; 02-03-2010 at 05:09 PM.

Bench
    Bar x 5
    Bar x 10 x 2
    110 x 5
    135 x 5
    160 x 3
    190 x 3
    215 x 3
    240 x 6 - PR - man am I gassed at this point!
    315 x 1 - minus purple bands
    335 x 3 - minus green bands (felt easy - set up is finally coming together) - PR

Bench - close grip
    135 x 12 x 3 - last rep of last set was ugly. Gotta work on keeping form when gassed

Kroc Rows
    80 x 15 x 3

Face Pulls
    50 x 15 x 3

BW = 183 lbs

Workout took 75 minutes tonight. I worked on my bench setup. As the weights got heavier, my setup felt more solid. Going to 315 really allows me to drive with my legs without worrying about moving around on the bench. My setup isn't anything great by any stretch of the imagination, but it is getting better.

I'm not a very flexible person. I doubt I'll ever achieve much in the way of an arch. But I still have work to do in order to reach my potential. I arch as hard as I can and I'm working on finding a foot placement that works for me. The heavier I go, the better my leg drive is.

My workout took a while as I took my time trying to reach an optimal setup with each set of bench. My initial setup is the way Dave Tate shows in his video. Then I kind of squirm my way under the bar using the rack to push my shoulder together and towards my butt. I'm sure it looks pretty ridiculous.

I'm pretty happy with benching 240 x 6. I added wrist wraps and a belt for that set. I know folks say you don't need a belt when benching and that is interferes with your arch. However, I don't have much of an arch to interfere with and I find the belt reminds me to push my stomach out and towards the bar.

I swear the heavier you go the easier it is to hit proper form (or should I say better form?). Maybe its because the weight will crush you if you screw up on form or tightness? I really felt I could have hit 5 reps at 335. I'm having fun with reverse band bench. Probably need to lay off of them for my next 'wave'.

Had fun tonight. Hit a few PRs and left the gym totally wiped out. Good stuff!

]Squats - Narrow Stance
    Bar x 10
    135 x 5
    175 x 5
    215 x 3
    275 x 5 - felt very heavy
    305 x 3 - added belt
    340 x 6 - Bar slipped a bit lower on my back around the 4th rep.

Deadlifts
    275 x 1 - called it a day

I screwed up on my Excel spreadsheet. I was supposed to be using 325 as my squat max but that got transposed to my deadlift max of 355. Consequently I was going heavier than needed.

Energy was in short supply today. Squatting 275 felt heavy. Right away, that kind of thing can start messing with your head. A workout partner is invaluable when things don't feel right. A lot of the time they can help you get your focus back.

When you're alone - its just you and your own fears.

I taped my squats and was disappointed with what I saw. I think this is one of the big problems with working out alone. You don't know when you've developed bad habits or just how poor your form is until you see it.

To me, it looks like I'm squatting high or maybe, possibly, just barely hitting parallel. When something feels heavy, it is tough to sink it. It also looks like I'm not upright enough. Granted, the bar did slip a little on my back, but that wasn't until around the 4th rep. I believe I need to raise the bar on my back a hair. That should allow me to stay more upright while sinking further back on my heels. I need to get my elbows more under the bar. I did pretty good with 215 on my back. :lol: Too bad that doesn't count when things get heavier.

I didn't like the false start either. I did the same thing with 305. Stupid mistake. Don't start the squat until you have the weight and are super tight. My 6th rep was sloppy. No real excuse 'cept I got lazy. Really, with as high as I was squatting, 8 reps felt doable.

I need to develop more confidence in my ability to move weight. Anyway, here is a link to the video. Y'all can point your fingers and laugh at the old man trying to lift weights.

Video

Looking strong Tim!!
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

Thanks for the kind words!

Got a massage today. Taking it easy tonight.... rest, relaxation.... food... and then sleep.

Warm-up
    Jump rope for 3 minutes - I can jump rope again, yeah!
    Band work for 3 minutes

Military Press
    Bar x 10
    70 x 5
    85 x 5
    100 x 3
    125 x 5
    145 x 3 - added wrist wraps, belt, and a knee sleeve over my left bicep - covered the bicep, not the joint. Set felt awful. Had to rack it after my first rep, reset and knock out two more easy ones.
    160 x 6 - huge PR!! added knee sleeve to my right bicep to even things out.

Incline Bench
    135 x 10 x 2 - very quick sets

Tricep Pushdowns (supersetted with Kroc Rows)
    60 x 15 x 3

Kroc Rows (supersetted with tricep pushdowns)
    85 x 15 x 3

BW = 184 lbs
    41 minutes for entire workout including my 6+ minutes of warm-up. Maybe I should make this a Crossfit Routine?

I was not feeling good heading into my workout. My heart rate was up, but my stomach was feeling queasy and I was light-headed. My concentration was off as shown by my military press @ 145. I had to rack the weight and reset after a single rep. For my last set, I had my wife come out to watch me. I just wanted someone there in case I passed out during the lift. I worked really hard on form concentrating on tightness for the last set.

I was totally blown away by hitting six reps. That was completely unexpected. If Mary hadn't been there to witness it, I would have doubted it myself. The sixth rep was a grind but I've had tougher (I think the secret to any big lift is really, really squeezing the glutes hard! ).

After that I hammered the rest of my workout hard. My goal was to stay tight and move weight. I noticed how quick I was moving after incline bench and decided to shoot for a time. Not that a time meant anything, but hey, it was another challenge.

My military press puts me close to my best ever press of 205 lbs @ 193 lbs of BW back when I was a young man of 40 years. I am very confident that I am once again able to press my own bodyweight (plus a couple more pounds).

Avoiding injury is key. Prehab work is a must. Aggressive treatment of tweaks, pains, and minor injuries helps. I've noticed I always hit major PRs after a massage. Here is a tip, if you are entering a powerlifting competition, get a massage two to three days out.

Big shout out to Pops for mentoring me. Like to mention Vinny Dizenzo too - the man is an inspiration!

It is snowing here in SC tonight. Looks like we'll get at least 3 inches. For SC, that is a veritable blizzard. I'm celebrating the snow and my PRs with pizza. Lots and lots of pizza. Clean eating can kiss my hairy arse!

Warm-up - bunch of warm-up stuff, dynamic mobility, knee friendly junk, old man stuff

Deadlifts - 1.5" deficit
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    215 x 3
    275 x 5
    305 x 3 - knee band on right bicep, belt, and chalk. Trying to find a 'comfortable' spot to wear my belt. I didn't find it on this set.
    340 x 7 - PR Found a 'comfortable' spot for my belt. Pretty sure I left one in the tank - I think.

Ab Pulldowns - supersetted with twist
    80 x 20 x 3 - or maybe 4, I lost track

Twist with a broomstick
    40 x 3 - or 4, 20 per side.

BW - 183.8 this morning. Rehydrated to a smooth 186 by workout time.

Stomach still feels like crap. Did not feel like lifting tonight. My warm-up concentrated on mobility with an emphasis on hips. I'm old, I've been lifting a long time, and I've never been flexible. I'm not fooling myself into thinking I'll ever be a gumby, but there is room for improvement. My biggest issue with deadlifts is a lack of mobility (if one of you yahoos says strength, I'll freakin' kill you! ). I have to do better.

I worked hard on form with my lighter sets. Setup is crucial. If you can't approach the bar correctly, you aren't going to lift it right. As soon as it warms up I'll get some video. Right now, I'm too much of a wuss to move my car out of the garage and lose all my heat.

Problems I believe I'm having - hips are too low, shoulders are in front of the bar, I'm not activating the glutes until lockout. I might be losing the arch in my lower back and am probably rounding over at the shoulders in order to reach the bar.

Still, I'm very happy with moving 340 x 7 with a 1.5" deficit. My best is 345 x 8 without the deficit. I came very close to hitting that today. I figure I'm just as strong now as when I cracked my ribs. Only took around 3 months.

My emphasis is on prehab and mobility. The strength will come as long as I stay healthy. It might not happen this year, but I can actually see a 500 lbs lift on the horizon. That is something I never believed achievable. Now, it is only a matter of time.

Long term goal - 1315 total. I might be 45 years old by the time I hit it, but I will get there.
    Last edited by Tim K; 02-15-2010 at 04:31 PM.