Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim K's Journal

Warmup - bunch of warm up stuff concentrating on shoulders.

Bench
    Bar x 20 bajillion
    110 x 5
    135 x 5
    160 x 3
    205 x 5
    230 x 3
    255 x 3 - tapped the J-hook on the 3rd rep.

Bench - Close Grip
    135 x 10 x 3 - felt pretty easy

Kroc Rows
    80 x 15 x 3

Face Pulls
    50 x 15 x 2
    50 x 20

BW = 184

My setup work is starting to pay dividends. I felt most 'comfortable' at 230. The weight felt heavy, but very easy. I could actually tell I had some leg drive on each rep. At 255 I started to move a tiny bit towards the head of the bench. I'm still having a bit of trouble driving my traps into the bench. Instead I'm driving towards the head of the bench. Might be because I'm short. Might be because I need to learn how to f'n bench. :lol:

I am starting to get a bit more flexibility in my back and legs. It really allows my to drive my heels into the floor. I'm able to bench with a flat foot, which I find more comfortable than when I'm on my toes.

I haven't hit 255 for 3 reps in over a year. I don't think it is an all time PR, but it is a recent PR. Probably a PR for my current bodyweight. I really wanted 4 reps, but I tapped the J-hook on the right side on my 3rd rep.

I felt decent with the last set, but I still have a lot to work on. I always rush to start my sets after unracking the weight. I need to let the weight 'settle' before I press. However, I always feel like I'm running out of air. Psychological problem. Means I'm crazy. I could also stand to be a bit tighter, especially in the shoulder area.

I also don't pause much at the bottom. I need to work on that. If I do a competition, I stand a chance of get red lighted because I'm not waiting for commands.

My left bicep feels pretty good. I'm practically pain free in the left bicep and shoulder. First time in over a year. However, I tweaked my right groin a little. Probably when I was climbing some pretty steep terrain in the upstate last week. In other words, situation normal, all f'ed up.

Deload week is next. I'll use my groove briefs on squats for protection.

I want to try my Titan Centurion Boxer Briefs next wave. I've had them since December and have yet to use them. Should be fun!

Deload Week!

Squats - right groin and hip are sore. Started with Inzer Groove Briefs and knee sleeves
    Bar x a bunch x 2
    135 x 5 - ATG
    165 x 5
    195 x 3
    230 x 10
    275 x 10 - about half ATG, the other half below parallel. Felt like I had 2 to 4 reps left in me.
    230 x 10 x 2 - groin started to ache

Good Mornings
    95 x 10 x 2 - lower back is very tight.

Ab Pulldowns
    80 x 15 x 4

BW = 182.5 lbs

I'm slowly peeling off my winter weight. Guess that means I'm coming out of hibernation. My right groin and hip are sore tonight. After hitting 275 x 10 my groin really started to bitch. I hit a couple more sets at 230 and called it a night for squats.

I really think that squats for reps should count as cardio.

This is a deload week, but I really wanted 275 for 10 reps. Considering my squats last week, it should still count as a decent deload. Eventually, I want 315 x 10. I'm probably a couple months out from that.

After that workout, I'm feeling well aged.

More Deload Goodness

Military Press
    Bar x 10
    70 x 5
    85 x 5
    100 x 3
    125 x 5
    135 x 10 x 2
    125 x 10
    125 x 15

Close Grip Bench
    135 x 10 x 3

Tricep Pushdowns (supersetted with Kroc Rows)
    60 x 15 x 3

Kroc Rows (supersetted with Tris)
    55 x 20 x 3

BW = 184 lbs

Warm-up stuff - really worked on shoulders

Bench
    Bar x 15
    110 x 5
    135 x 5
    165 x 3
    180 x 5
    205 x 5
    230 x 7 - added wrist wraps and belt. This set took a lot out of me.

Reverse Band Bench - purple bands (-80 off the chest)
    300 x 3
    315 x 3 - I think I finally got some leg drive off my last two reps!
    330 x 1 - tired out

BOBR
    Bar x 10 - added knee sleeves to my biceps. Wanted to see how my left bicep felt
    135 x 10 x 3 - Slight pain in the left bicep. Couple more weeks of Kroc rows.

Face Pulls
    50 x 15 x 4

BW = 186 lbs Ate half a birthday cake between Saturday and Sunday. Had to save the wife from herself!

As usual, I tweaked my neck and trap doing Military Press last week. It is feeling better tonight, but I thought I would swap bench and MP days this week.

I'm a bit disappointed with my workout tonight. I wanted 230 x 8 minimum. Missed that by a single rep. To put it simply, I was too gassed to hit an eighth rep. The reason for this is simple - my conditioning is lacking.

I got a bit down on myself for not attempting the eighth rep, but I knew I wasn't going to get it. At first I thought it was because the strength wasn't there (which it isn't), but it is not just a lack of strength. It is a lack of conditioning - I'm running out of air and I can't stay tight. That is more of a conditioning issue - the ability to do work - than raw strength.

Time to start using my jump rope again.

For the first time in a long time I'm relatively pain free. My bicep was feeling pretty good tonight so I thought I would try some BOBR. I slapped a knee sleeve on my bicep and did a test run with only the bar. Not too shabby. I hit my sets and did feel some discomfort in the arm. I skipped trying pull-ups tonight. No need to tempt fate.

A couple more weeks of being kind to my bicep and I believe it'll be right as rain.

Warm-up stuff

Squats
    Bar x 10 - Medium wide stance, concentrated on sitting back. Slight tweak in left groin (WTF).
    150 x 5 - So, so set.
    185 x 5 - Feels heavy, sinking it very low though. Left groin is feeling 'tight'.
    225 x 3 - Again, not a very good set. Taking my time, going slow.
    245 x 5 - Added Titan briefs. Left groin feels like it did last time I pulled it. Going very slow but still deep.
    280 x 5 - Shoulder width stance. No need to pull something again. Trying to sit back and keep spine (head) in a neutral position.
    315 x 3 - Added belt. Can't get to parallel! With the briefs and a belt, you just stop. Every geared squatter is most likely sterile.
    315 x 2 - Took off belt and sank these last two very low. Bar tapped my safety spotters (which is set one notch above my bench safety spotter holes). Feeling very weak and shaky. I'm in survival mode....

Deadlifts
    250 x 5 - Double overhanded grip. I left the briefs on. Not enough energy to take them off and still lift. Set felt light and easy.
    285 x 5 - Mixed grip. Set felt good. Lots of bleeding going on both shins and knees. First couple reps felt solid. Form started to go on last two reps.
    325 x 0 - Got light headed when I initiated the lift.
    325 x 0 - I've had low back issues since I was 21 - overly cautious?
    325 x 3 - Nutted up and hit some reps. Didn't get the 5 or anywhere near what I am capable of - but I got some in. Set left me shaking like leaf!

BW = 181

I was ill Thursday. I lost 7 lbs and have only put 3 back on. Started to feel better late Friday and pretty solid by Saturday. I was expecting more today. I shouldn't be disappointed with my workout tonight, but I am.

Last time I worked out, I felt very strong. No aches and pains at the beginning of this 'wave'. That changed tonight. I went with a medium wide stance squat tonight. I felt a slight 'twinge' in my left groin. What sucks is my right groin was questionable before. Now it feels fine and my left side is tweaked.

Feels about the same as when I 'tweaked' it trying sumo deads 3 or so years ago. I followed that tweak up with a tear doing wide stance squats. I went really slow with my squats tonight.

I added my Titan Briefs at my first working set. I've had them since before Christmas and have yet to use them. I've been looking forward to using them and was looking for a little groin protection too. The Titan's are nothing like the Inzer Groove briefs.

The Inzer's give me a feeling of security around the groin. I don't believe I get much from them, but the psychological benefits are nice. The Titan's don't seem to do much until you approach parallel. Then they start to tighten up. They don't seem to give you any 'pop' out of the hole as much as stop you.

I worked hard at sitting back and getting really deep with the Titan's. I was also trying to keep my head in a more neutral position. When I started to get out of the groove, my head shot up and back. Bad habits are hard to break.

On my last set I added my belt. What a difference! As I approached parallel, I just stopped. I don't think I could have hit parallel no matter what I did! I tried to sit back but just kind of folded up instead. With each set I got a little deeper but nothing at or even near parallel.

After three reps I gave up. I dropped my belt and hit two more, very deep reps.

First set of deadlifts felt like nothing. I was very happy with this set and felt like I would be moving mountains tonight. Form felt pretty solid. Fast forward to my last set... nothing seemed to be moving.

I admit, I don't have a clue about gear, but it was fun to put on my 'Big Boy Pants'. I've always thought the weights the big guys move was amazing. Now that I've had just a tiny taste of what lifting in gear is like, I have a lot more respect for the amount of technique these guys have.

Gear will help you move more weight. At the same time I think it exaggerates any form breaks. You really have to be perfect to get the most out of gear. I can see why people bomb at competitions. It isn't always about starting with an opener that is too heavy.

Cliff notes - sub par workout, probably due to illness. Had fun trying new Titan Centurion Briefs. Have a lot to learn yet.

Standing Military Press
    Bar x 20
    70 x 5
    85 x 5
    105 x 3
    115 x 5
    130 x 5
    145 x 5

BW = 180

Last time I hit 145 lbs I eked out 9 reps and damn near got the tenth one. Today, I barely got 5.

Yesterday was a tough day. I was sick two days last week, so I had to make up some time on Monday. Between the horses and work, I had a 14 hour day yesterday. Life is a real bee-otch sometimes.

My lack of strength and energy sucks. I guess my body needs more time to recover.

I'm out of town until Thursday. When I get back, I think I'll start this wave over.

Warm-ups
    Bunch of shoulder stuff

OHP - Take Two
    Bar x 10 - concentrated on all of Pop's tips
    70 x 5
    85 x 5
    105 x 3
    115 x 5 - switched to false grip - I'm a Big Boy now!
    130 x 5
    145 x 10 - PR used wrist wraps and belt. Set felt great! Pop's tips are solid gold!

Incline Bench
    135 x 10 x 3

Tricep Pushdowns
    60 x 15 x 4

Kroc Rows
    105 x 10 x 3 - PR upped the ante a bit. Need to get some serious work done on my upper back

BW - 183.5 lbs

Tuesday was not a good day. Tonight was the complete opposite. I concentrated very hard on all of Pop's tips and hints. I brought my grip in a little, worked hard at keeping my glutes tight, shoulder blades pulled together, and kept my head where it was supposed to be.

I've had big problems with driving my head back and up during the concentric phase of the overhead press. This is a big no, no. You can hurt yourself. Tonight I was able to keep my head in a neutral position and drive myself under the bar as soon as it cleared my face.

I upped the weight on Kroc rows. I need to get my upper back up to par with the rest of me. I'm still a bit hesitant to do pull ups. I'll probably start working them in next week if the left arm continues to feel good.

Even though I felt a 'twinge' in my left groin Monday on squats, it is definitely the right groin that is sore. No doubt in my mind.

Side note: My wife has been having some severe pain in her left shoulder. MRI shows a torn rotator cuff tendon. It all stems from a repetitive stress injury at work. Our family doctor's initial impression from the MRI was surgery. However, after a physical exam, he was amazed at how much range of motion and strength Mary exhibited. She is one tough girl! A lot tougher than me!

She is supposed to see an orthopedic surgeon as soon as workman's comp sets us up an appointment. We are open to any and all rehab suggestions, experiences, hints, tricks, and tips. If I can get the MRI's in a format I can post, I'll slap up the pics.

Mary would really, really like to avoid surgery... unless it is orthoscopic and will heal quicker.
    Last edited by Tim K; 03-12-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Warm-up
    Light stretching, lunges, bodyweight squats

Squat take two
    Bar x 10 - knee sleeves, 13" Box
    150 x 5 - added groove briefs - groin still feels sore on both sides
    185 x 5
    225 x 3
    245 x 5 - having to rock a little bit forward to get off the box; weak posterior chain
    280 x 5 - 14" box, Centurion briefs; getting the hang of these things!
    315 x 5 - added belt; pretty easy set, but having trouble with depth. Belt tightens things up a lot. Really made my face red.

Deadlifts - barefoot
    250 x 5
    285 x 5
    325 x 9 or 10 - lost count at the end, we'll call it 9 to be safe.

BW = 183 lbs

Ended the workout a little early. Had to take a round bale out to the horses. Not a bad workout. If I were a bit fresher, I think I could have gotten 325 x 12. I'm still learning the Centurion briefs. I don't really need them at 315, but its fun.

I'm still nursing sore hips and groin. I'm very cautious on squats.
    Last edited by Tim K; 03-13-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Looking strong man! You gonna be at the APF meet next month?
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

That is the weekend after our horse show. I should be able to make it, though I'm not in any shape to compete. If you need some help, let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    That is the weekend after our horse show. I should be able to make it, though I'm not in any shape to compete. If you need some help, let me know!
    Alright man thanks. Looking forward to seeing you
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log

Lots of stretching today. Working hard on my hips and hamstrings. A little bit of jump rope and a couple sets of 20 @ 26" box jumps. Left me feeling old and sore.

National Bench Day

Shoulder warm up and light stretching

Bench - pinky about an inch from ring
    Bar x 10
    110 x 5
    135 x 5
    165 x 3
    180 x 5
    205 x 5
    230 x 5 - Felt worn out when I hit this set. Wanted more, lucky to get 5.

Bench - Close grip (thumb length from smooth part of bar - about a half inch narrower than above)
    135 x 10 x 3 - felt easy

BOBR
    Bar x 10
    135 x 5
    185 x 5 x 3

Pull Ups
    BW x 8 - wanted to see if I could do any

Face Pulls
    50 x 15
    50 x 30
    50 x 15

I wanted more on bench but wasn't surprised that I didn't get it. Contorting myself into bench position wears me out.

I hit a PR on Overhead Press on Friday, didn't too bad on squats Saturday, and messed around a bit on Sunday. Simply put, I needed more rest to perform at my best.

I probably wont be able to lift again until Thursday or Friday. With my schedule, it was better to hit something tonight than to wait.

I felt a slight tug in my right groin on pull ups - WTF? I need to listen to my body and give my lower half a rest. If I don't, I'm going to pull something again. I've been pretty good with stretching but I need some rest too.

As much as it kills me, I'll skip squats on Thursday. Between now and then, nothing but stretching, BW exercises, lunges, etc. I need to heed the warning signs. Perhaps I can still hit some deadlifts?

If you want lift big, remember to eat some damned food!

Warm-ups
    Fed horses, swept garage, light shoulder stretching, light shoulder work

Overhead Press
    Bar x 12
    70 x 5
    85 x 5
    105 x 3 - feeling a bit lightheaded
    120 x 3
    140 x 3
    155 x 4 or 5 - Not the best set in the world. Failed on the last rep

Incline Bench (pinky on ring)
    185 x 5 x 3

Triceps Pushdowns
    60 x 20 x 3

Kroc Rows
    105 x 12 x 3

BW = 183

Hectic day today. Started with a teeth cleaning at the dentist. I really hate the sound of the pick scraping against my teeth.

Work afterwards was a 'jumping through hoops' exercise. Upper management believes that we can mollify conspiracy theorists if we respond to their every whim. I've spent the last week writing a response to a list of questions, passing the responses through an incredibly thick layer of bureaucracy, incorporating everyone's comments into the response, resubmitting, etc., etc., ad nauseam. By 4:00 PM I finished the letter, responses, and questions.

In the meantime, I forgot to eat lunch. All I've had today was my morning shake. This isn't an excuse, but an observation. I still believe I could have performed better today. If I were smart, I would have dropped the weights a bit and hit some better reps.

Tonight, I intend to eat lots of pizza!

Today is be kind to groin day!

Warm-up
    Lots of lower body movements, stretches, BW exercises

Deadlift
    135 x 5 - double overhanded grip
    155 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 3
    275 x 3
    305 x 3 - mixed grip added belt (wore it a bit too high, very uncomfortable)
    335 x 3 - felt very light (got the belt right)
    365 x 1
    396 x 1 - PR
    425 x 0 x 2 - trying to get that damned monkey off my back, but he clung on too tight
    405 x 1 - PR I might be late to the 405 party, but I finally made it. Slow and steady did the trick. It felt heavy but easy.

Ab Pulldowns (supersetted with ab wheel)
    70 x 20 x 3

Ab Wheel of Tortuous Death
    8 x 2 - I think I finally figured it out, but I usually hit my stomach before my chest. Will do more next time.

Not being able to deadlift 425 was a bummer. Hitting 405 was a bit anticlimactic after missing 425 twice. I did get 425 to break the floor both times, which is an improvement. I believe the strength is there. I just need to be a little smarter with my sets and weights.

Good deal on reaching the new deads PR with 4pps.

Would be nice to see a pic or two of the horses if you ever get the chance to post 'em.

Here are the boys checking out my tree trimming work.

Monday = National Bench Day

Warm-up - some boring stuff, stretched legs, worked on shoulders.

Bench (Grip = thumb length from smooth part of bar)
    Bar x 12
    110 x 5
    135 x 5
    165 x 3 - set up feels real good
    190 x 3 - easy set
    220 x 3 - was okay, nothing special
    245 x 3 - P.O.R - took a breath at top of 3rd rep and lost tightness. Number 4 wasn't happening.
    135 x 20 x 2 - half a thumb length from smooth part of bar
    135 x 10

Pulls Ups - supersetted with face pulls
    BW x 5 x 4

Face Pulls - supersetted with pull ups
    50 x 15 x 4

BW = 183

Nothing special tonight. Had a good set up initially but lost tightness during my last set. If I were smart, I would have racked it, got tight, and hit another rep or two. However, I've always felt racking the weight was the end of a set. Knocked out some 20 rep sets and did some supersetting to compensate for being a wuss.

Tomorrow will be some flexibility work, rest, and recovery.

Warm-up stuff

Squats
    BW x 5
    Bar x 2 - everything hurt! I racked the bar, turned off the music and left the garage. Every piece of my body was sore, hurt, or otherwise felt like garbage. Made it to the kitchen and then turned back. Time to SFW!!!!
    BW x 20 - squatting in sandals, very deep.
    Bar x 10
    155 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 3 - added knee sleeves
    280 x 5 - switched to boots, added groove briefs (I think they're about worn out)
    315 x 1 - switched to centurion briefs, added belt
    385 x 1 - switched to old knee wraps, added wrist wraps
    415 x 1 - PR switched to new knee wraps. This is the heaviest thing I've ever lifted in my entire life. I sunk this beee-otch way, way down and brought her back up! In the grand scheme of things, it is fairly light weight, but I had a blast playing gear whore with the belt, briefs, and wraps.

I've been dreaming about squats for the past few nights. After my first set, I was ready to throw in the towel. My groin felt like it was ready to tear while the rest of me swore I was getting beat by a baseball bat. I shut it down and walked away.

But I don't want to be a quitter! I turned around, closed up my stance, and hit some very slow, very deep BW squats. Stuff still didn't feel right, but at my age, that is the norm. Every rep was very slow, very controlled. If needed, I was ready to dump the weight.

As the weight went up, I added gear. It made for a slow workout. At the same time, it was a lot of fun to play powerlifter. And I finally got to use my new knee wraps I got back in December!
    Last edited by Tim K; 03-27-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Warm-up - shoulder stuff, calves, legs

Military Press
    bar x 10
    70 x 5
    85 x 5
    105 x 3
    130 x 5
    145 x 3
    165 x 2 - poor setup, let the bar drift in front of me on second rep, used a bit of leg drive to lockout rep
    165 x 3 - better set

Incline Bench (thumb width from smooth part of bar)
    135 x 10 x 4

Tricep pushdowns (supersetted with pullups)
    60 x 15 x 4

Pullups
    BW x 5 x 3
    BW x 8

BW = 183 (my Chinese Buffet bloat has expired)

I could have done better on my presses. It was a good workout, but not a great one. I've been all over the place with my workouts because I've been squatting and deadlifting on the same day. When the weights got heavy, I went back to separate days and hit some PRs.

I believe all I have left is bench and then its deload time. I'll hit bench on Monday. It is a little soon, but my deload follows. It'll be alright.

Warm ups - kind'a cheaped out today - shoulder and lower back stretching, swings, rotations, etc.

Bench (Monday is National Bench Day)
    Bar x 20 - thumb length from smooth part of bar
    110 x 5
    135 x 5
    165 x 3
    205 x 5 - P.O.R
    230 x 3 - smooth and easy
    260 x 2 - lost my air after first rep, second rep was a struggle. 3 or 4 was within reach.

Close Grip Bench - 1/2 thumb length from smooth part of bar
    155 x 10
    165 x 10 x 2 - Trying to see where I need to be with my assistance exercises.

Kroc Rows (supersetted with pullups)
    105 x 12 x 3

Pullups (supersetted with Kroc rows)
    BW x 3
    BW x 4 x 2

Face Pulls
    50 x 15 x 3

BW - birthday bash induced 186 lbs (birthday for daughter's fiance)

I didn't get what I wanted on bench tonight. Three or four reps was an ambitious goal considering I did heavy presses on Saturday. But it was an attainable goal.

I'm still working on my set-up. I believe I've found a slightly better set-up for myself. I'm beginning to make use of leg drive to force my traps down and into the bench. My set at 230 lbs was pretty good.

My initial set-up on 260 was also good. I didn't get a very good hand-off. My hand-off guy sucks (For those that don't know, I lift by myself. No one to blame but me.). I took a bit of extra time to let the bar settle, brought it down just a touch too low on my belly, and smashed it back up.

But then I made a mistake. I lost some of my air, which means losing tightness. My second rep was a struggle. My butt came off the bench a little, but I got things back under control and locked it out.

If I hadn't of lost air, three reps was certain.

I did some more supersets because I like 'em. They get the heart rate up and cut down on my gym time.

The rest of the week is deload. Time for me to get crackin' on Good Mornings. I need to start hitting lifts at which I suck. It is hard for me to swallow my pride and do that... I have a fragile ego.

Warm-up - bunch of shoulder stuff

Military Press
    Bar x 10
    70 x 5
    95 x 5
    105 x 3
    115 x 5
    135 x 5
    150 x 8 - PR

Incline Bench (thumb length from smooth part of bar)
    185 x 6
    185 x 5 x 2
    135 x 10

Nose Breakers (straight bar)
    Bar x 10
    65 x 10
    65 x 12 x 2

BOBR
    185 x 5 x 3
    135 x 10

Hanging Leg Raises
    BW x 10 x 3

BW = 184.6 lbs

My eating has been poor lately. Today I had a bowl of cereal, a chocolate rabbit, a chocolate egg, a bunch of jelly beans, and other assorted goodies from Easter. My first few sets felt heavy. I was actually surprised with 150 x 8.

I mixed things up a lot tonight. It was a good workout.

Timmmmmmmmay!!!! Hello
    I've got some catching up to do.
    Hope you're well.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Lean Mean Machine in progress!
    Go hard or go home!

GoodyGirl's Lean Mean Machine Journal

Very nice squat and deasdlift PR's!!! Are you competeing next weekend?
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log

Nope... we were supposed to have a horse show this weekend. Prepping for a horse show interferes too much with training. I will see if I can make it up to help out next weekend though.

Warm-up - dynamic stretching, lower body, shoulders

Deadlift - 1.5" deficit
    135 x 10 - double overhand grip
    185 x 5
    225 x 3
    240 x 5
    275 x 5 - mixed grip
    315 x 5 - plus chalk
    205 x 10 - no deficit

BW = 184.6 lbs

Its been a tough week with some long days. My eating has been for crap. I hit 190 lbs on Tuesday. I've been half-heartedly working it off, which means my eating has completely sucked. Either I'm not eating enough of the right stuff, or I'm eating too much garbage.

Since Wednesday I've been writing a PSA for the EPA. When I spend too much time typing at my desk, my posture goes downhill causing lower back pain. Today's workout was nothing stellar. I got my work done and got out.

It happens...