The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Tricep Work ?

Tricep Work ?

I have found my self this training cycle doing all isolation type movements for my tricep work. tate presses, push downs ect.

In the past When I was in the shirt i did only high board work. 5Boards raw at low 700's for triples.

My question is what do you guys do? Do you find the compound movements better for triceps or the isolation movements. I always wondered if my triceps were strong back then or if i just got good at 5boards.

What do you guys do?
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

This was a really good debate here. Luyando and Bencher8 say to do heavy board work. Vincent and Travis say to do more extensions. They all have big benches. Louie says use a lighter weight to help you lift a heavier weight, so more extension and isolation stuff. Maybe someone can find it and link it. I have to run to a meeting.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Since then I've also gone back to floor pressing like a mad man (for accessory) and I've noticed a huge carryover to my bench. I'm hitting PRs all over the place

I noticed that everytime we did floor press, it was comp grip and up to a single. Then I remembered something George had told me a long time ago, that if his floor press went up, his shirted bench went up and to get his floor press up he did a lot of close grip floor press.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

scott you ask some excellent questions on here, i've been looking forward to the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Since then I've also gone back to floor pressing like a mad man (for accessory) and I've noticed a huge carryover to my bench. I'm hitting PRs all over the place

I noticed that everytime we did floor press, it was comp grip and up to a single. Then I remembered something George had told me a long time ago, that if his floor press went up, his shirted bench went up and to get his floor press up he did a lot of close grip floor press.
    Travis, when do you do floor presses, on ME or DE?
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

I love doing raw board presses, usually a 3 or 4 board. I think this has helped alot. I also started adding in some floor presss as well. I got away from them, but I plan on throwing them back in the mix.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post

I agree! Travis is the one who got me into doing tons of floor presses, and I feel they have helped my bench out a ton.

I also like to do Tates, rolling DB extensions, JM's, and other various types of extensions. This has made my lockout and triceps as strong as its/they've ever been.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I do alot of light extensions but I really dont think they make you stronger....Build muscle yes...the higher board presses are what I think make me stronger...but you gota build some muscles to have the potential to get stronger....and plus it would be nice to have big arms..which I dont have....just my opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by Tank82 View Post
    Travis, when do you do floor presses, on ME or DE?
    Lately both lol.

Heavier and often with quaded minis on ME day

Lighter and between light chain weight and straight weight on DE day

By the time you get done with your ME work or DE work, it adds up to a ton of pressing and really takes it out of you, but you get used to it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I've been adding weight to my floor presses as well, doing lots of extension work like Travis and Lones. I havn't made any gains to my shirted bench as of yet, but I do plan to keep doing this for at least a few months to see what happens. I'd like to do more boards, but somedays I just don't have training partners - And I need a lift off for anything over 300lbs.

My shirt bench has gone from 400 to 525 since January 09!

I have done lots of boards in and out of the shirt, with or with out bands and some floor presses but not much in the way of extensions as they hurt my elbow.

IMO the mental side of lifting big is the main thing and handling heavy weights as often as possible is important.

I think extensions only help when everything else is in order.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I think the strength is different depending on the movement. In other words, I have strong triceps when it comes to isolation movements, but my lockouts are nothing to get excited about unless I train them specifically. In my mind, working both would be best.

So what do you guys re-commend for the weaker/beginner lifter? Extensions to get primed for larger movements, or doing supra-maximal loads to activate the CNS?

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    So what do you guys re-commend for the weaker/beginner lifter? Extensions to get primed for larger movements, or doing supra-maximal loads to activate the CNS?
    Im way behind some of these guys but what has worked well for me and Eddie is HEAVY weights we love doing 3,4 and 5 board raw and 2 or 3 board shirted.
    I did lots of extensions at the start but once I got stuck in to the boards my bench took off fast.
    The metal militia style 4 and 5 board (sets of 3 with a 3 sec pause at top on all reps) helps my bench whenever I do a cycle of them.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    I recommend you try things for two month intervals. You need to see what works for you, but you need to give individual exercises enough time to see what works.

I like a combination of extensions and presses. I am going to start close grip floor pressing for moderate reps and work higher rep extensions on my push days.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Read the thread that darracq posted... Pretty much covers everything.

With that said, I generally agree w/ Rob and bencher8. Hvy. bds. and floor presses= strong lock-out.
    Stick w/ movements that mimic the same movement patterns as the bench for a greater carry-over.

I finish w/ tri-extensions for GPP and recovery and they do have thier place, but not much carry-over to my lock-out.

IMHO.... My .02

I've never tried floor presses but may give them a try just for kicks. Do you typically hold with a narrow grip or a standard flat bb bench grip (however wide that may be for a certain individual)?

Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    I've never tried floor presses but may give them a try just for kicks. Do you typically hold with a narrow grip or a standard flat bb bench grip (however wide that may be for a certain individual)?
    Med or close never with a wide grip personally.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    I do all three. Different grips for different purposes.

This has alot of great info. It seems that the mixture of the two is most beneficial.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS