The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Abwork for Lower Back Pain...

Hey all,

I've been having this lower back pain lately and its getting as bad as it was before I started lifting. I was born with flatback syndrome. In other words, normally we have a curve in the lumbar spine. I don't. I started powerlifting in the first place to get my back stronger thinking it could help. It has for a while, but its coming back. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows of really good Ab strengthing work I can do... what exercises work for you? I don't need a six pack as much as correct pelvic tilt and no back pain. I would love to contined doing straightleg sit-ups but I can only do those when I'm not in pain which is becoming more rare now.
    When I die. I want to be frozen. And if they have to freeze me in pieces, so be it. I will wake up stronger than ever, because I will have used that time, to figure out exactly why I died. And what moves I could have used to defend myself better now that I know what hold he had me in.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would suggest you never do straight legged sit-ups. They're hard on lower back even if the low-back is healthy.
    I think you would have better results and much less pain doing a crunch instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly McD. View Post
    I would suggest you never do straight legged sit-ups. They're hard on lower back even if the low-back is healthy.
    I think you would have better results and much less pain doing a crunch instead.
    i wasnt really asking for an exercise that is easier on my lower back. Ive done straight leg situps on a decline with weight before and i maintain tight abs the whole time so it doesnt hurt at all. Just lately my back hurts no matter what i do and i think it has to do with an imbalamce of muscle and strength.
    When I die. I want to be frozen. And if they have to freeze me in pieces, so be it. I will wake up stronger than ever, because I will have used that time, to figure out exactly why I died. And what moves I could have used to defend myself better now that I know what hold he had me in.

Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar
    I have the opposite problem (swayback posture). Flexibility seems key in alleviating my back pain, particularly in my hammies and hip flexors. do you do front squats? those absolutely thrash my abdominals.
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat

I would suggest seeing a doctor first. I've had previous issues with my lower back due to heavy squats, deadlifts, and GM's. When I went to see a physical therapist, he gave me a specific set of stretches to do to help alleviate the problem. I talked with him about my workout routine and he told me sit-ups/crunches with legs up can only make my back worse. I felt like an idiot because I been doing them for months prior. Secondly, I went to see a doctor and he prescribed me 600mg of ibuprofen which has helped A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by radioheadhead View Post
    I have the opposite problem (swayback posture). Flexibility seems key in alleviating my back pain, particularly in my hammies and hip flexors. do you do front squats? those absolutely thrash my abdominals.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x View Post
    I would suggest seeing a doctor first. I've had previous issues with my lower back due to heavy squats, deadlifts, and GM's. When I went to see a physical therapist, he gave me a specific set of stretches to do to help alleviate the problem. I talked with him about my workout routine and he told me sit-ups/crunches with legs up can only make my back worse. I felt like an idiot because I been doing them for months prior. Secondly, I went to see a doctor and he prescribed me 600mg of ibuprofen which has helped A LOT.
    I've been to doctors before I started lifting. x-rays, mris... painkillers... tons of different kinds you name it. I got sick of it. The lifting strengthened my back enough that I was good for a while. I mean to be honest, I havent done a set of abwork in 2 months almost. I just wanted to make sure the kind of abwork i do is more effective...

As far as front squats, I'll give them a shot if I can figure out how to hold the bar so it doesnt hurt my wrist lol.