The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

SS hang cleans vs. power cleans?

Ive been doing SS now for a few weeks now, and have been worried about my form with power cleans. I am having trouble getting the second pull correct when pulling from the floor. I do a lot better from hang. Videoed myself doing both with the same weight and I really let the weight move forward and pull with my arms when pulling from the floor. My catch is very slow as a result.)

Now I think the reason that my form is suffering is that 135 is just a bit to heavy right now for the cleans and I need to work up to it. I would rather start light and keep technique then be muscling the weight up with my arms.

So, any reason not to progress from hang cleans to full power cleans over the course of a few weeks?
    B-230
    S-325
    D-345
    Dyslexic.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I believe SS calls for power cleans.
    Sarvamangalam!

I know I am trying to decide if I should stop being a pussy and do the power cleans at 135lb or do hang cleans at a lesser weight to be able to progress with good form, then when my strength and form have increased, do power cleans.
    B-230
    S-325
    D-345
    Dyslexic.

Just do power cleans, as that is what is prescribed.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by mr handy View Post
    worried about my form with power cleans.

I do a lot better from hang.

Now I think the reason that my form is suffering is that 135 is just a bit to heavy right now for the cleans and I need to work up to it.

I am trying to decide if I should stop being a pussy and do the power cleans at 135lb or do hang cleans at a lesser weight
    Well lets me begin with the fact that I am confused. You say that you are worried about your form with power cleans and ask about using hang cleans instead. Then in the next area you are asking about using the hang cleans with less weight?

To the part I am not that confused about ... why not just use the power cleans with less weight until you learn the form and build up in weight?

The reason that I was thinking of using hang cleans vs power cleans with lighter weight is because, if I drop the weight the bar will be closer to the floor and make it harder to maintain proper form.

However I have been watching my form, and reading different text and watching video. I now think that my problem with the second pull is that I let my elbows fly out and continue to pull,(High pull type move?) rather then keep my elbows in and let them rotate under and rack the weight. This also lets the bar float forward and away from me... not sure if all that makes sense. This seems to help me rack the weight and get my elbows forward and up a lot faster and makes the clean happen much faster and with less preceved effort.

for refrence to my form on power cleans check out my form thread from last week... http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130632
    B-230
    S-325
    D-345
    Dyslexic.

Starting from a hang will generally make it easier to be in the proper position for the extension. As a learning method, it might not be a bad idea to stick to hang cleans for a couple of weeks before pulling from the floor.

If you want to pull from the floor, make sure to keep the bar close to your body and your shoulders over the bar.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Practice the full lift. It takes a good deal of time and effort to be efficient at the OLY lifts... keep chugging at it man!

If you are learning them then Id suggest doing them from the floor and not doing hang cleans. Learn the full lift first and then you can augment variations for practice.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-04-2009 at 06:23 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Zen, I think you have me determined to keep at it.
    I'm going to work on it every workout at least a set or two.
    I can tell when I do one correctly, as the bar seems to float up to and rack easily.
    I think one other thing I am doing wrong is pulling from the toes, which throws off the rest of the pull. If I can get myself to start from the heals I should be able to get everything timed up and my heals should float up rather then trying to push them up in a jump.
    B-230
    S-325
    D-345
    Dyslexic.

Quote Originally Posted by mr handy View Post
    Zen, I think you have me determined to keep at it.
    I'm going to work on it every workout at least a set or two.
    I can tell when I do one correctly, as the bar seems to float up to and rack easily.
    I think one other thing I am doing wrong is pulling from the toes, which throws off the rest of the pull. If I can get myself to start from the heals I should be able to get everything timed up and my heals should float up rather then trying to push them up in a jump.
    Good deal. That effortless racking feeling is what youre after. Technically speaking, the area of balance moves from the balls then back to heel/midfoot then forward to balls again, but dont worry about that... just keep working like you have been. Do it with a PVC pipe and keep working on flexibility.

I love OLY lifting for that effortless bounding out. Nothing beats pulling some serious weight and effortlessly bounding out of the hole... such an amazing feeling.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-04-2009 at 07:17 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!