The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick my brain!

Wannabebig Member
    What supplements (besides protein) do you recommend during a bulk?

Quote Originally Posted by accrane View Post
    what supplements are you taking?
    Nitrean, Nitor, ETS, Fish Oil, Creatine Mono-hydrate, COQ10, BCAA's Intra workout. Psyllium husk for fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by DavyRen View Post
    Absolute quality, that really made me laugh
    Don't feed the Mocha Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    Thats what im here for Davy to educate as well as entertain
    Bad Mocha Bear! gtfo of here son.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    1/ How do you, personally, go about bringing up lagging bodyparts? More of a bodybuilder thing than a powerlifting question. Standard wisdom would dictate that you add a couple of extra sets/exercises but this has always seemed problematic to me. That suggests that you might as well just add extra to everything, which unless you are "assisted", or have the right genetics, isn't going to work. It'll be too much. Also, as a natural ecto, when I've added extra volume I've sometimes found it harder to hit my PRs on the stuff that matters, the big 3, so I've ditched it and gone back to low volume, high intensity, strength-based stuff that I know works best for me.
    As far as bringing up lagging bodyparts I would first have to figure out what the root of the problem is. For example my chest was always a weak point. So were shoulders. Once I figured out how to get my shoulders to grow and get stronger without pain my chest is finally catching up. Over training could also be a reason for less than stellar growth. There is no one right answer to your question. My goal during this upcoming offseason is to bring up my legs/traps/chest/lats I will be focusing on using exercises I previously never used. Whenever you plateau the best routine is the one you aren't on. What are you working on bringing up if I may ask?

2/ To what extent do you think it is even possible to "sculpt" your body and how much of muscle shape and body symmetry comes down to genetics? I see that you have very large arms, but a comparatively less developed chest. It seems like the other way around would be more common. Did you do anything special to emphasize the arms? Are you doing anything special to bring up the chest? How is that working? TBH this doesn't bother me too much as I have different aims but I'm still really interested in your opinion.

Glad you asked this and brought up my own weakness. First let me respond to the second part of your question. As I previously mentioned my shoulders have given me problems since I began lifting. This carried over to very weak presses and a lagging chest compared to the rest of me. After figuring out that I can't do overhead pressing for shoulders I started doing side laterals and snatches and my shoulders both got immensely stronger and bigger. This has finally allowed my to do dips and heavier bench press which should carry over to chest growth on my bulk.

As far as sculpting your body in symmetry and muscle shape, its pretty much 100% genetics as far as muscle shape goes. Getting the muscle more developed and getting really lean will bring out the best shape. A lot of people think they have symmetry issues, but its really hard to tell at higher BF %'s The leaner you get the more everything evens out. Same goes for side imbalances.

As far as my arms, I can thank heavy compound lifts for those.

And just an interesting tidbit, I just measured and my arms are currently 15" flexed/no pump so they are not really large by any means. Its the low BF % that created the illusion.

And good work on the transformation.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    How much water do you usually drink on a bulk? Im getting about 80oz a day. Should I up it?

I try to drink 1+ gallons a day

Is bulking then cutting really the best way to add muscle size? My goal is to get a physique something like yours

If you are still growing and maturing <~21 y/o I wouldn't short change myself on potential gains by worrying about getting ultra lean. That being said I do not advise getting fat either. Get to a comfortable bf% and keep enough of a caloric surplus to allow you to gain 1-2lbs a month, that way you can bank on the fact that your gains are mostly LBM and not fat.

Training a muscle group once a week with reps and sets 2x8, is it enough for an intermediate lifter?
    2 sets of 8 reps a week might be too little. I only do 3 heavy sets per body part but mine get hit 2 times every 8 days. You might get much better results from a higher frequency with such low volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by franklinfan View Post
    Hey, unholy, I've been just reading through your interviews and I'd love some insight:

I was almost 300 lbs in High school, I started working out - doing bodybuilding-type isolation routines - and got down to 230 upon graduating. I started eating like **** and ballooned all the way up to 380lbs (as of late June of 2009) when I graduated with my bachelors. I decided to get serious about getting healthy and am now 310lbs. I have just eaten smaller portions and have made sure to get 30g of fiber every day; I have also kept track of every meal and snack since then. Since early September, I have been doing cardio every day. I burn 1000 calories every day through the elliptical trainer and through swimming.

Okay, sorry about all of the back story - I just wanted to give you some context, so my question is about lifting. I am dead-set on continuing the cardio, every day. I do it at a lower intensity since the aerobic activity burns a greater percentage of fat than higher intensity. But for the lifting, I am at a precipice. I don't know whether or not I should start getting serious about powerlifting (deadlifts, benching, squats), if I should continue my isolation lifts (bodybuilding type routines) or if I should actually start doing doing more athletic lifting (like incorporating cardio with lifts and doing one legged-squats and all of those fancy moves with stability balls, etc.)

My goals are incredibly similar to what yours were when you started. I absolutely want to get to a sub-10% body fat and want to have some musculature. I don't think I want to do contests and I don't need to ever bench over 400 lbs or compete in lifting. I just want to have a low body fat and have a good looking physique (like you, Ryan Reynolds, etc.) I want to look like a normal guy with a shirt on and then want to impress once it's off.

I know this was long-winded and pretty awkward but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Congrats to you and good luck at your show.
    Not long winded at all, and since you put the effort into the question I will try to put some effort into the response.

First off, let me say I did little to no cardio during the first year and a half of my transformation. Not saying that you shouldn't but it is not necessary. As far as your physique sculpting goes, I have always been in favor of routines that focus on compound movements and lift hard and heavy in the 6-8 rep range. "Bodybuilding" routines that focus around volume and too many straight joint lifts are a waste of time in my opinion. I always start off with compounds and the only single muscle lift I think I use is the db curl. I would get a food scale and start doing work in the kitchen, buckle down on that diet, train hard and heavy, and do cardio that you enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    I wanna get shredded, what supplement will get me ripped?!?

No, but really though, whats your cardio routine been like the past few weeks?
    I have been doing 35 minutes of LISS--->MISS every day with 1 HIIT session a week. I've been tossing in 4-6 HIIT intervals into my MISS sessions the last week to bring my glutes out a bit. For LISS-->MISS I start on the treadmill at 3.0 MPH on 5.0 incline and work up to 3.7MPH @ 8.0 incline.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian999 View Post
    I'm interested in what you do for cardio also. I also want to ask if I eat the way I normally eat (about 4800+ calories daily) and just did cardio, can I get a little leaner? It's probably more on weekends, about 5000+ then. I eat a lot, I have been trying to carb cycle. Having a low,med, and high day on training days. If I don't get a high amount of carbs I get very dizzy, or I feel weak for the rest of the day. I tried cutting 600 calories, and I felt the same. I think it's because I'm a fat a** and I'll never be able to cut.

I can do cardio as much as 2x daily on non training days, and once on training.
    I think any deficit you create through cardio is negligible unless you put yourself into a real deficit through diet. Doing a few HIIT sessions a week might help keep new fat off but if you are eating in an excess LISS won't help you much, your better off eating less and tweaking macros to fix those lethargy issues.

Quote Originally Posted by thereturn View Post
    What supplements (besides protein) do you recommend during a bulk?
    Fish Oil, Creatine, ETS for reduced DOMS! I have to give Results a try and see what all the fuss is about.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Starting Monday, I plan on tightening up my diet A LOT....that is the area I always slack on, and I know it is the most important part.

Anyway, that being said. What are your thoughts on meal frequency, mixing carbs and fats, timing etc.....?

For instance, say I'm shooting for 3000 calories - 325/200/100 (carbs/protien/fat) for instance. Now, say instead of dividing that up into 6 meals, and equally spacing out the macros...what if one meal was ALL protien...one meal was mostly carbs.....etc.... I mean, as long as I'm hitting the total number of calories and the correct macros at the end of the day, does it matter how things are arranged?
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Here is an easy one: I am taking a well deserved week off lifting. I am currently bulking. For this week should I continue to eat over maintenance, or bring my cals down to maintenance?
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

nICE!!!!!

I am 5'6, 185 lbs

What would be the best way to lose weight in your opinion? I am shooting like 20 lbs overall, no matter how long it takes. What would you recommend?

I lift heavy already, but I need to lose at least a few pounds.

Thanks in advance
    -█--------█- Squat: 285 x 3
    ......\☻/...... Bench Press: 235 x 3 (stuck there)
    ........▌....... Skull Crusher: 110lbs ez bar
    ......./ \......Standing Shoulder Press: 115lbs (barbell)

"I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Starting Monday, I plan on tightening up my diet A LOT....that is the area I always slack on, and I know it is the most important part.

Anyway, that being said. What are your thoughts on meal frequency, mixing carbs and fats, timing etc.....?

For instance, say I'm shooting for 3000 calories - 325/200/100 (carbs/protien/fat) for instance. Now, say instead of dividing that up into 6 meals, and equally spacing out the macros...what if one meal was ALL protien...one meal was mostly carbs.....etc.... I mean, as long as I'm hitting the total number of calories and the correct macros at the end of the day, does it matter how things are arranged?
    The most important thing is hitting your macros, not only for the day but for the week and so forth. The human body does not operate on a 24 hour eating cycle as we imagine it. It is rather an ever changing continuous flow. That being said, I think there are certainly ways to eat to get the most out of your food. I think you can mix carbs/fats and proteins just fine. I like to consume a decent amount of carbs for breakfast. This is just because I get a ton of energy from them. Pre workout I like to consume as little fat as possible. This is so I don't have a full gut. I like a good amount of carbs ~25% of my carbs for the day pre workout for maximum performance in the gym. Fat slows the digestion of carbs and its not the most desired effect. Post workout I like to keep fats fairly low because I want my protein and carbs digested as quickly as possible as well. This leaves fat for meals later in the evening and not around my training schedule. Those fats are great for satiety. This is how I do things. You can get great results drinking olive oil, eating cotton candy, and then having a meal of whey mixed with water. It wouldn't be optimal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    Here is an easy one: I am taking a well deserved week off lifting. I am currently bulking. For this week should I continue to eat over maintenance, or bring my cals down to maintenance?
    I would eat around maintenance during the week off. Esp considering your maintenance will be lowered from lack of lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumexicano View Post
    nICE!!!!!

I am 5'6, 185 lbs

What would be the best way to lose weight in your opinion? I am shooting like 20 lbs overall, no matter how long it takes. What would you recommend?

I lift heavy already, but I need to lose at least a few pounds.

Thanks in advance
    1) Track Calories
    2) Decrease calories by 20%
    3) Lose weight
    4) If Weight loss stalls toss in some cardio or further decrease calories
    5) Enjoy new found sexiness.
    Last edited by Unholy; 10-30-2009 at 04:19 PM.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Banned
    Unholy, thanks for that. I personally am not trying to bring up any bodypart right now. I took a construction job for almost 5 months, had a long lay-off the weights and lost a fair amount of muscle and strength through hard days, under-eating, and running. Such is life. Now I'm getting back into it its coming back quickly but I will likely focus on strength and PL-style training for several months before worrying about the little things again.

So just to be clear - although there's no right answer - your approach would be to find the right exercises, probably new exercises, and work them hard, rather than adding extra volume to that area? That sounds about right. It depends on the person but generally it seems like adding too much extra volume to a specific bodypart could be counter-productive. Which is why I've never been sure how to go about it. Y'know, the guys who curl everyday and never get bigger with anything, or the ones who bench to failure, then do numerous forced reps with their buddy, then do incline, then close-grip, then flies... and bench the same weight for years.

And yeah, funny how some people really do have naturally different physiques. Seems like whenever you ask someone who has an amazing back, or chest, or arms, or whatever, what they did, they always say "nothing special". We all develop to our natural strengths and weaknesses.

Hi Paul just wondering if you got my pm about diet? If not I'll shoot you another one. Cheers, Mick
    She lied.... SIZE MATTERS!

You used to IM on messenger when you were a fatty; Where you eating a) Pizza or b) Everything that was not pizza?

Thanks for the explanation brotha! I appreciate it.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Thanks unholy

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

What movements/exercises have you found to be the most benefical for various muscle growth?

In your opinion what would a beginner or intermedite level body building specfic routine look like?

bump...

Sorry this got missed. I actually left for the Syracuse show last Thursday and missed this before hand.

That is a pretty vague question. As long as you have progressive overload and excess calories you will gain mass.

AS far as what works best for one person, it might not be the best for another. I am a big responder to low volume high frequency training. Others prefer high volume and once a week per body part. Some people respond extremely well to full body 3 x a week.

I used what was basically a modified version of WBB1 routine for a LONG time.

I then started the 3 days on 1 day off split that I used for the better part of the last year.

I can't tell you how many lbs of muscle I gained on each. Its fairly hard to determine.

I would start with something simple that has you using mostly compound movements and hitting each area of the body ~2x a week.

When it comes down to progress, the diet will play a much bigger role than the actual training.

Hope that somewhat helps.

Here are a few routines I will be using on my bulk

Max OT
    Power/Hypertrophy
    3 on/1 off High Freq/Low Volume
    FST-7/Doggcrapp Hybrid
    5-3-1 (bodybuilding variation)

For a beginner you could use Starting strength or a simple 5 x 5 routine and make great gains.

When you hit a plateau, the best routine is the one your currently not on.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

how important is fat when bulking or cutting, unholy? Because I am only really eating a serving of peanut butter and some 1% milk for my fat intake... I know you said .5 grams per pound of body weight, but how necessary is it?
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

Hi Unholy,

Can you explain carb cycling in a bit more detail and when this is a good time to do it (ie.) cutting or bulking.

Thanks.

hi Unholy,

what are some of the supplements, you think are must have?

Quote Originally Posted by snikez View Post
    how important is fat when bulking or cutting, unholy? Because I am only really eating a serving of peanut butter and some 1% milk for my fat intake... I know you said .5 grams per pound of body weight, but how necessary is it?
    Its not necessary. Those are just guidelines for setting up a good diet. I had my fats at 35g during my last 2 months of prep. Now as I shift into a bulk I will be bumping carbs up at a much faster rate than fat. Carbs for me mean more energy in the gym and better lifts. Also fuller muscles due to glycogen actually being there. I'm not saying high fat is bad either. But if you wanna get down to the knitty gritty of it you can have relatively low fats and be fine. Just made sure your getting your EFA's!

Quote Originally Posted by busterdouglas View Post
    Hi Unholy,

Can you explain carb cycling in a bit more detail and when this is a good time to do it (ie.) cutting or bulking.

Thanks.
    Carb cycling is a great approach to dieting. Having low, medium, high carb days allows you to make more extreme calorie/carb drops for very short periods of time to burn through stubborn fat. When people crash diet too hard or drop carbs too low for too long not only does their gym performance suffer but the bodies metabolic process does as well. That is why most smart dieters that are on restricted carbs incorporate refeeds. Carb cycling allows you to go much lower on the low days than you normally would. The semi-frequent or frequent high carb days prevent the body from shutting down metabolically.

Some guys like Shelby Starnes like to use a carb cycling approach for bulking as well. This usually means very high carbs on workout days and little to no carbs on off days. This creates a good insulin response and carb sensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by jumperzz View Post
    hi Unholy,

what are some of the supplements, you think are must have?
    A good multivitamin
    Fish Oil
    Creatine Mono-hydrate
    A GOOD protein powder. Def recommend Nitrean
    Some kind of energy supplement before the gym.

You can get all of these from ALN.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Banned
    Hey unholy is lay raises all you did for shoulders

Yup, for the past 10 months or so.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

sorry to disturb u once again Unholy,but could you explain to me the benefits of fish oil and multi vitamin in or article links would do,in terms of weight lifting....could not find much on the net

thnx once again.
    Last edited by jumperzz; 11-19-2009 at 04:54 AM.

Fish Oil is great because it is not only healthy as far as cardiovascular, joint, brain health. It also helps with fat burning in a caloric deficit, reduces inflammation etc. You can find 1000's of articles on the benefits of fish oil and Omega 3 supplementation.

As far as a good multi vitamin. It is hard eating a diet that gets you everything you need vitamin and mineral wise. Multi will help with vitamin and mineral deficiency which will keep your body running at 100%.

Two of the most important supps anyone should take, not just people lifting weights. We need to more than anyone since we put our bodies through a lot of stress.

Hope that helps a bit.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Unholy is it that important to have the right macronutrient percentages if you want to avoid getting fat on a bulk, or losing muscle on a cut? Like is it alright if you just pay attention to calories, take high protein, and not take in that many carbs?
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

Wannabebig New Member
    hey unholy... i've got a bunch of questions for ya. i'm 5'11" 153 right now with 12% BF. i used to weigh 166 with most of it being in pizza and beer. so i took it upon myself to get my body fat down and i am pretty satisfied with my results even though im not really sure what im doing lol.

anyway, my ideal weight would be around 175 with 5% BF. i know im a long way away from this but im not sure how to go about getting there. the only supplements i currently take are fish oil and mega men multi vitamin (the powder) from GNC. and of course whey protein after i work out. ive read alot on here about the bulking/cutting cycles but there is just way too much information for me to digest.

so my questions are

1. How long do these bulking/cutting cycles last for?

2. what exercises / how many days a week should i be working out doing during both?

3. what should my diet be like during both? How many calories, fat calories, and proteins should i take in? is there anything i shouldn't eat?

4. are there any other supplements you would deem absolutely essential?

thanks for your help.
    james

lets say you're getting all your protein, carbs, fat, etc. thats neccessary. are theres foods that inhibit muscle growth that one should stay away from?