The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pick my brain!

Quote Originally Posted by snikez View Post
    Unholy is it that important to have the right macronutrient percentages if you want to avoid getting fat on a bulk, or losing muscle on a cut? Like is it alright if you just pay attention to calories, take high protein, and not take in that many carbs?
    I'm not a fan of percentages. As long as your getting 1g protein/lb of BW. Enough fats to keep your joints, brain, and sex drive happy. Enough carbs to perform well in the gym and minimize depletion you should be good. These numbers will clearly vary from person to person. For a 200lb male on a cut. 55/300/200 would be a good 2500 calorie macro breakdown with the carbs being eaten mostly pre/post workout. As far as bulking goes, I also feel that carbs tend to be better bargain than fat. I will slowly be bumping my macros from 55/350/210 up to 75/600/210.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybiddyforeal View Post
    hey unholy... i've got a bunch of questions for ya. i'm 5'11" 153 right now with 12% BF. i used to weigh 166 with most of it being in pizza and beer. so i took it upon myself to get my body fat down and i am pretty satisfied with my results even though im not really sure what im doing lol.

anyway, my ideal weight would be around 175 with 5% BF. i know im a long way away from this but im not sure how to go about getting there. the only supplements i currently take are fish oil and mega men multi vitamin (the powder) from GNC. and of course whey protein after i work out. ive read alot on here about the bulking/cutting cycles but there is just way too much information for me to digest.

so my questions are

1. How long do these bulking/cutting cycles last for?

2. what exercises / how many days a week should i be working out doing during both?

3. what should my diet be like during both? How many calories, fat calories, and proteins should i take in? is there anything i shouldn't eat?

4. are there any other supplements you would deem absolutely essential?

thanks for your help.
    james
    Hey James, first off let me say congrats on making the choice to get in shape. You are off to a good start. Sounds like you need to do a little more reading and research since your questions are very vague. I would start by reading the stickies in the Diet and weightlifting sections. Go through some of the older threads on these subjects as they have been discussed to death. A lot of this is trial and error and seeing what works best for you. There is no right or wrong answer as far as bulk and cut lengths go. Same goes for what you should be eating and how you should be lifting.....

Get a fitday.com account, get a food scale, start tracking calories. Read read read.

Edit: and I answered your last question 2 posts up brah....so you didn't even bother reading this Q & A before posting?

Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post
    lets say you're getting all your protein, carbs, fat, etc. thats neccessary. are theres foods that inhibit muscle growth that one should stay away from?
    Anything laced with Valium

But seriously, not that I know of. I try to enjoy everything in moderation.
    Last edited by Unholy; 11-20-2009 at 09:19 AM.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Banned
    Hey unholy I'm sitting around 215 right now, is 2300 calories right for me to loose fat without losing muscle? Thank

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    As far as bulking goes, I also feel that carbs tend to be better bargain than fat. I will slowly be bumping my macros from 55/350/210 up to 75/600/210.
    Thats quite a change of opinion Paul, because i remember you saying that you wouldnt drop your fats below 0.5g per lb of bodyweight. To be honest i agree. I felt better with a little more carbs, especially around the workout window. I guess you had the same when your coach changed your macros during your prep.

Quote Originally Posted by Al19067 View Post
    Hey unholy I'm sitting around 215 right now, is 2300 calories right for me to loose fat without losing muscle? Thank
    Honestly that seems a little bit low. I think its doable though. I would start at 50/275/225 and take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNalicious View Post
    Thats quite a change of opinion Paul, because i remember you saying that you wouldnt drop your fats below 0.5g per lb of bodyweight. To be honest i agree. I felt better with a little more carbs, especially around the workout window. I guess you had the same when your coach changed your macros during your prep.
    Carbs around the workout window are clutch!

I was scared of dropping fats because I have always dieted on limited carbs. After doing some research on contest prep specifically and experiencing lower fat levels myself, I do have to say carbs are a great trade off when calories need to be dipped to normally uncomfortable lows. If you want to keep performance in the gym up and energy high without entering ketosis or depleting yourself too much higher carbs and lower fats work very well. I think during a cut most people overshoot their protein requirements and are slugish in the gym as a result.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    Honestly that seems a little bit low. I think its doable though. I would start at 50/275/225 and take it from there.

Carbs around the workout window are clutch!

I was scared of dropping fats because I have always dieted on limited carbs. After doing some research on contest prep specifically and experiencing lower fat levels myself, I do have to say carbs are a great trade off when calories need to be dipped to normally uncomfortable lows. If you want to keep performance in the gym up and energy high without entering ketosis or depleting yourself too much higher carbs and lower fats work very well. I think during a cut most people overshoot their protein requirements and are slugish in the gym as a result.
    Thanks my macros been 65/175/230, with 2300 cals should I add more cals? If so how much

Paul how did you measure your progress as you got leaner? Did you use a scale? Measurements? etc.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Al19067 View Post
    Thanks my macros been 65/175/230, with 2300 cals should I add more cals? If so how much
    That looks fine, as long as your not starving yourself. I would toss in a refeed on an off day. Bump carbs to a solid 400g and keep fats/protein the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pilot View Post
    Paul how did you measure your progress as you got leaner? Did you use a scale? Measurements? etc.
    Mirror/pictures mostly, waist measurement, weight etc.

Since I was getting ready for a bodybuilding show the mirror was the most important.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

How was your progression as you neared and passed the 12%bf mark. Did things seem to slow down on the scale and/or mirror or was the loss constant still at that point? Did there seem to be a period where it felt like nothing was changing?

The worse is 18%-12% because the changes are not visually dramatic even though the scale is moving in the right direction. After you hit the 10-12% mark, each and every lb that comes off is more visually pronounced. Once you get under the 8% mark even though the scale isn't moving much you can SEE every 1/2lb or so coming off. Very motivating IMO.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Im on 3200 cals a day and want to go stir **** crazy tomorrow with dinner.....

what are your thoughts?
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    Im on 3200 cals a day and want to go stir **** crazy tomorrow with dinner.....

what are your thoughts?
    You are a powerlifter and it's Thanksgiving... EAT!!!

But let's see what Starvin Marvin has to say on the subject...
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    You are a powerlifter and it's Thanksgiving... EAT!!!

But let's see what Starvin Marvin has to say on the subject...
    lmao.. you are correct, but I'm tring to drop 30lbs to compete in the 242s the end of march..

I'm just curious to see what Paul will say. I'm thinking of hitting pre and post workout nutrition in the morning around training (with about 45mins of cardio), then nothing until dinner.... and then just thrashing turkey, potatoes, corn, carrots, with a just a tidbit of pumpkin pie.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

As a guy who watches the scale very closely, I'll tell you that you can completely stuff your face as much as you want for a whole day (even a whole week), and gain 10 lbs....but as soon as you get back to your normal diet and training patterns, you're weight will be back to what it was pre-stuff within just a couple of days.

I left for a vaction weighing 175....came home weighing 191...That was a monday. By Friday, I was back to 175.

That said, stuff your face as much as you want. One day won't kill you. In fact, I see nothing but positives coming from it....
    Last edited by brihead301; 11-25-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    lmao.. you are correct, but I'm tring to drop 30lbs to compete in the 242s the end of march..

I'm just curious to see what Paul will say. I'm thinking of hitting pre and post workout nutrition in the morning around training (with about 45mins of cardio), then nothing until dinner.... and then just thrashing turkey, potatoes, corn, carrots, with a just a tidbit of pumpkin pie.
    True, but I am sure with that much time(4 months) and you being determined and disciplined enough to get there, one free day will do no harm.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

My thoughts?

Shave the mutton chops and enjoy big guy.

I know I'll be stuffing my face at two separate thanksgiving dinners.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

wolverine chops FTW!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Now that you can look back at your training and diet in regards to contest prep, what are a few things that make you think "Man Im glad my trainer-friend-etc told me that!" or "next time I have to definitely remember to do that!"?