The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast
    The Highland Brawler Geometheus's Avatar

HG MMA ECA and all that

Hello and thank you for checking this out. I hope you come back often.

This is my first time ever blogging so here we go.....

I wanted to start this thread as a way to both track and share my: workouts, training, and supplementation with everyone. My goal is to have a good record and a place to gather feedback from others.

Lets get it started

History: I started working out in the summer of 1996 while in high school. I would learn later what I did for the next few years was not working out but just hanging out in the gym. I got serious about working out after going through Parris Island with the Marines. I served in the reserves while going to college and that is where I started my love hate relationship with the gym.

I did kickboxing and aikido for 8 years. I have not been a member of a dojo for a few years now and miss it. Currently I participate in the HG (Highland Games), which if you have never seen you 100% need to check it out sometime. They have been going on for a thousand years and are the traditional games of the Celtic peoples. Yes, I can read your mind; and no they dont involve drinking. The best way to picture HG is to think decathlon for strongman in kilts set in a St. Patrickís Day party out on a green with a real cool bunch of people. - end of plug. I also have plans to join a MMA gym within the next few months. Most of my workouts are geared toward building strength for HG competitions and soon hopefully also getting into a MMA gym. I have a hard time moving away from Powerlifting as that was the basis for most of my strength training through 2005. From 2005 until now I have a laundry list of excuses but bottom line is I have been on again off again in the gym and I am determined to get back into my old routine of discipline and hard work.

10/29

I have done an ECA stack before (read as 6 yeas ago back when you could just go to GNC and buy the real Xenadrine) and am working my way back on now. For the past three days I have done a LoCarb Monster and OJ with my breakfast (because I really dont drink anything caffeinated normally that has been a big RUSH) and this morning I started with one Primatene, for my asthma . I will see how it feels and increases dosage from here.

Statistics:
    Height 71", Weight 276lbs, Neck 18", Chest 52", Gut 43", Hips 41",
    Arms 17.5", Thighs (6"above knee) 22.5", Calfs 18", BF est. 25% ? - will have a friend of mine who is a trainer break out the calipers this week.

I will post again soon with more info on what I am doing in the gym
    Last edited by Geometheus; 10-30-2009 at 01:56 PM.
    ~G~
    Best Raw Lifts Former/Current: 445/505 SQ, 425/345 BP, 530/425 DL
    My training log.... on the way back up with new focus
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130681

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

10/30

I had my buddy break out the fat calipers and my estimate was pretty close. He came back with 23% BF and he said that it is +/- 3% error so as long as we keep using the same method should be a good way to track progress.

ECA update:

My first dose yesterday went good so I did another at 10:30 and my last dose at 2:30. I am starting with each dose of 12.5 Ephedrine HCL, one 81mg baby aspirin, and 100mg Caffeine. I know that this is less than the typical stack but as I mentioned yesterday I want to ease myself back into it.

I did a lot of reading on HCL vs Sulfate and was curious if anyone had experience with either they would like to share with me.....

From what I read it appears that the Sulfate is cheaper but the HCL is slightly more potent and since the price difference was only about $1 a week I didnt see it as a big deal which one I picked up. I only went with the HCL because the Walmart near my house didnt have any Bronkaid (Sulfate version). Another question I had is if anyone has seen studies documenting the benefit of cycling on and off?

I have read that the "punch" to energy levels decreases as your body gets use to the ECA but that it will continue to help with weight loss. When I was on old Xenadrine for about 9 months I did notice that the "punch" did fade over time so I just increased my dosage. Regardless of the stimulant effect it is the weight loss I am more concerned about this time around.

I am not sure if anyone else has seen it but I found "The Health Professional's Guide to Dietary Supplements" by Shawn Talbott and Kerry Hughes to be a good source and it refers to several different studies involving ECA. None of the studies I have found involved athletes, a common problem I find with many supplements, but if anyone knows of one involving athletes or people whom were not obese at the onset of the study please let me know so I can check it out. Also again, I would love to hear about other members in regards to any experience they have had with the ECA stack.

-Side bar-

Saw palmetto is it a waste of money or does it do something of value for testosterone levels?
    Last edited by Geometheus; 11-02-2009 at 09:12 AM.
    ~G~

11/2/09

What a long weekend!!!

Well I have to say that my goal is to give a good account of my training and supplementation but this next entry should be taken into consideration only under full view of the statement.

I think I am immuned to the Primatene. All it seems to be doing for me is making my nose run constantly and giving me a slight temperature spike about 20min after I take it.

I am now up to a full 25mg dose 3 times a day. Yesterday just to see how I would react I took my last dose at 5pm, which from everything I have read online is a big no-no, and guess what I slept like a baby from 9pm-4am. My appetite is less than it was before but I am use to eating certain foods and drinking shakes in given amounts throughout the day so it has not changed my eating much. I am going to pick up some Bronkaid tonight and see if that is any different.

Really I am just belly aching and am not happy with having a constant runny nose but I do plan on continuing on this regiment for at least 12 weeks to document the results. I hope that it is just a flu bug or something else that happens to be effecting me at the same time as the start of my ECA stack.
    Last edited by Geometheus; 11-02-2009 at 09:13 AM.
    ~G~

11/3

Ok so it is confirmed that the Primatene is not to blame for my runny nose and instead I have a cold or flu bug.

I still did some light stretching and calisthenics exercises on top of my rehab exercises for my right rotator cuff and did a 4 mile fast walk but that was about all the energy I had in me, even with the ECA. When I dont feel well I find it helpful to still get into the gym and do something even if it is not at full strength or effort just to keep myself in the groove.

My sister is flying in tomorrow and I will be off my regular cycle for the rest of this week and some of next. I plan to still get a few workouts in and stay on ECA but I will not be online as much. I will be sure to make time to post my weight again tomorrow to give a one week update for those following the progress of the stack.
    ~G~

11/4

Statistics:
    Weight 271lbs

Well all and all not bad for my first week. I have to say that despite the cold and the ECA not giving me as much of a "punch" as I remember it appears to be working well to slim me down. I also would like to state that the added energy in the evenings is a welcome change from the previously normal sluggishness I would encounter after working all day.

As I mentioned yesterday I have family coming into town and I will not be online as much for the next week. When I return I will take the time to record my workout and lifting logs.
    ~G~

11/12

Statistics:
    Weight 269lbs

Okay back online. Had a good vacation and now its back to the grind. I kept up with ECA and although my diet wasnt clean I kept up with my daily protein intake. I try every day to get a minimum of 200grams (1gram per pound of lean muscle mass) and as a rule I dont take in much sugar or carbs. I have done Atkins before for long periods of time and although I would not say it is for everyone it definitly cleans up any bad eating habits you may have.

I realize I have not been good about eating details so let me fill you in on todays food plan. It is not so much a plan as I know what I eat every day because it really doesnot change much.

Food:

5:15 AM post workout: Protein Shake 50g Protein, 8g Carbs, 5g Creatine, 6oz apple juice (or other fruit juice I have around)

7:30 AM breakfast: Oatmeal (2 packages -56g) w/skim milk and organic peanut butter or Jimmy Dean Lean Breakfast Sandwiches, also do a low carb monster (king size) with OJ, V8 (12oz bottle)

11:00 AM snack: Kashi protein fiber bar, protein shake, or mixed nuts and fruit

12:30 PM lunch: protein bar, peanut butter (if didnt already have), fruit, sometimes I order out for lunch hamburgers or what not but normally not

2:30 PM snack: same variety as the 11AM one

5:30 PM dinner: whatever but with a strong bias towards lean protein -ie chicken or fish and light on the salt and carbs before bed

Supplements:
    -morning
    Multi Vitamin and Mineral
    Lysine
    Fish Oil
    Creatine (as mentioned above)
    Digestive Enzymes

-after dinner before bed I take
    B-50 plus more Fish Oil
    i have some old injuries ( but hey who doesnt) and its worth mentioning I take Aleve about once a week

Workout:

1/2mile warmup fast walk

BB Bench Press: 135*10, 175*10, 195*8, 215*6, 225*4

Lat Raises: 20*10, 20*10, 25*10

Cable Crossovers: 20*10, 40*10, 60*10

Military Press: 90*10, 120*8, 150*4

Cable Rows: 100*10, 130*10, 150*10

Dips: 3*right shoulder and rotator cuff started hurting -injury been following me around for last few months so I quit at 3

Pull ups: normally go here but bc of above pain did hangs for grip and stretch
    Hangs: 15 seconds, 15 seconds

DB Curls: 30*10, 35*8, 40*6

1/2 mile run, 50 crunches, 50 squats, 50 pushups
    ~G~

11/16

My sleep was shot last night so this morning I only managed to get in a 30min Yoga session. Yes laugh if you want but it is a good quick workout and I could use some better flexibility anyway. The plan is to make it up sometime tonight after work so with any luck I will have a double post tomorrow for you.

Also to all you lurkers please say "hi" it is getting lonely in here by myself.
    ~G~

11/17

I think it helped me kick my A** into gear and hit the gym both last night and this morning knowing that I said I was going to do that here and I had all of you to hold my accountable

Workout:... last night 11/16 8pm

1/2 mile warmup fast walk

Leg Press 140*10, 220*10-left knee felt odd so I pointed toes more outboard, 280*5, 300*5, 320*5, 340*5, 340*5-I probably could have gone heavier but after the odd knee pain that started and than went away I just wanted to work on form and rhythm

Rotator Cuff exercises and stretches with light weight

Bradford Press DBs 35*10, 35*8, 35*6, 25*10-I had read this move in another persons journal and just had to try it, felt oddly good on my shoulders and rc

Farmers Walk Heal to Toe DBs 45*100ft, 45*100ft, 45*75ft, 45*75ft

Lat Pull Downs w u handles from floor 150*16, 150*10 - to easy and without a bar I wanted to keep it challenging with goal being to improve my bodyweight pull ups so
    Left 150*6, Right 150*6, Left 150*6, Right 150*6 - this was much harder but I think I cheated to much at the end by turning my body and not focusing on using just my back

1/2 mile run, 50 crunches, 50 squats, 50 pushups

I took a dose of ECA before this workout and ended up staying up until about 11pm. For an "early to bed early to rise" fellow like me that is late for a Monday night. But like I said before I got to be more dedicated

Okay I will post this mornings workout a bit later I should really try to get some work done.
    ~G~

11/17 part 2

Okay things have calmed down a bit at work so I can type this up real quick...

Workout:.. normally I work out at 4am but I slept in a bit and didnt get to the gym until 5:30

DB curls 30*10, 40*8, 40*8, 45*6, 35*10

Machine BP 135*10, 185*10, 225*5, 225*5, 225*5 -ouch shoulder took a 2min rest, 225*5, 225*5

Tricep Pull Downs w rope 80*10, 100*10, 100*10, 100*10, 100*6 -spent and I worked real hard not to cheat these and focus in on my triceps

Seated Rows 150*10, 150*10, 150*10 -felt easy so I tried something new inspired by last nights one hand work
    Left 150*6, Right 150*6, Left 150*4, Right 150*4 -felt good and will be doing these again. Also to note I would prefer to do Belial rows but my gym doesnt have what I need for them.

1/2 mile run, no crunches, squats, or pushups today but I will hit those after work when I have more time.

I was short on time and really rushed with no long stops (ie over 30secs) except the one mentioned above, this also meant I didnt drink enough water so I had to really catch up and took a jug and my protein shake into the shower with me..... hope you enjoy that mental picture

I thought about going back and editing an early post but I will just correct it here that my other bench press work was also with a machine. Out of habit I put BB BP and I am sorry for the error. You see right now I am using the gym in my apartment complex --sucks being tight with cash. It doesnt have all the equipment or weights I am use to or want but I am getting creative and trying to do more and more DB work. Any fun DB routines you know that would also help with my aforementioned HG and MMA goals please post them up for me.
    ~G~

11/19

So I have a headache from H$LL and I have to say the last time I had one this bad was after my going away party at my fraternity. I wish I could say it is from those types of activities but it is not.... but maybe more on that later. Along those same lines I have to say I am very sorry but I missed my ECA yesterday and infact I dont even know what happened to any of that day.

Workout: 2pm

Leg Press 200*10, 280*6, 360*5*5sets - I was really happy I hit this and it took a lot of work

Bradford Press DBs 20*10, 35*6, 40*6, 35*6 pause +2 - my form was off and since I have just started doing this I just slowed things down to work on getting it right

Calf Raises 200*10*3sets

Standing Leg Curls 30*8 - legs were figgidy fried and this machine really isnt set up to do this so I bi$&hed out and didnt hit a second or third set

Lat Pull Downs w u handles from floor 150*10, Right 150*5 Left 150*5 Right 150*5 Left 150*5 (went back and forth real quick), Right 150*5 Left 150*5 Right 150*5 Left 150*5 (went back and forth real quick), 150*10, Right 150*5 Left 150*5 - this felt real good and I think it will help me with my bodyweight pullups

3/4 mile run, 50 decline crunches, lunges, no pushups - ran a bit farther than normal to try and get some of the tightness out of my legs that was fast setting in
    ~G~

11/24

I know I missed posting the last couple workouts and wasnt on for a few days but nothing huge to report so lets just jump back in with todays fun

Statistics:
    Height 71", Weight 263lbs, Neck 18", Chest 51.5", Gut 43", Hips 43.5", Arms 17.25", Thighs (6"above knee) 24.5", Calfs 17.5", as some of you may have noticed I didnt get any taller, haha, but also my Hip measurement was either off last month or I have put on some thickness on in "the rear"..... I have no idea so I will just go with I measured wrong last time.

So I am real happy with the ECA and how it is going at about 30 days in. So far I am down 13lbs and my strength had not gone down any.

I also have to admit that my diet has been good but I have had the occasional cheat meal and beers It is also worth documenting that I have had some minor intestinal pressure and upset stomach if I dont time my doses right with meals, but this is a small price to pay.

Workout: 9am...
    1/2 mile warmup fast walk to jog

DB curls 25*10, 25*10, 35*10, 35*10

Machine BP 135*10, 200*10, 250*5*5, 5 by 5 didnt feel easy at this weight but did feel real good

Lat Raises 20*10, 20*10, 20*10

DB Floor Press 50s*10, 50s*10, 50s*8, kept elbows out wide

Tricep Pull Downs w rope 120*8, 140*6, 120*4, 100*8, 100*10 - worked real hard not to cheat these and focus in on my triceps so reduced weight for last two sets

Military Press 110*10, 130*8, 150*4, than 150*3-130*3-110*3 quickly resetting weight and going to burn it out

Seated Rows 150*10, 150*10, 150*10

Alt One Arm Seated Rows Left 150*6, Right 150*6, Left 150*4, Right 150*4 -felt good and will be doing these again. As I said before I would prefer to do Belial rows but my gym doesnt have what I need for them.

3/4 mile run, 50 Decline Crunches, 50 squats, 50 pushups -some big breaks but got the pushups done even though my chest was fried
    ~G~

11/25

The gym at the apartment complex is going to be closed until Saturday so have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I plan on at least getting in a couple of long walks and maybe a yoga session just to stay active.... and you know we are going to party

Workout: 12pm

1 mile warmup fast walk

Leg Press 200*10, 280*10, 360*5*2sets, 360*10, 380*5 - I felt real good on the third set so I did 10 and than just increased weight for last set

Calf Raises 200*10*3sets

Lat Raises Front 20*10*3 sets
    Lat Raises Side 20*10*3 sets
    Side Bends 20*10*3 sets

Farmers Walk w/uneven weights 45+50 switched hands on sets 100ft, 75ft, 75ft

Hammer Curls 35*10, 35*10, 35*8

1/2 mile run, 50 crunches, 50 pushups - legs were spent so I didnt do free standing squats
    ~G~

11/28

Well I ate way to much, drank way to much, and had a great time with friends and family..... I hope you all did the same.

I got to the club house to workout at 10am and had to stand around for 20min for someone to show up late to open up.... not impressed and had to skip around and rush to get everything in and not be late to meet some friends at 12..... turns out my friends were late so I rushed for nothing

Workout:

1 mile warmup fast walk

DB Curls 30*10, 40*10, 45*6 - drop and burned out more reps with lower weight - 35*5

Tricep Standing Overhead Extenions 50*10, Alternating left and right one arm 30*10, 35*10, back to both arms keeping elbows in close to head 50*10

Seated Rows 150*10, Alternating left and right one arm 150*10, 150*10

Lat Pull Downs w rope from floor 150*10, 150*10, 150*16

Military Press 90*10, 105*10, 120*10, 135*7- cheated last rep

Cable Crossovers: 60*10, 70*10, 80*10

1/2 mile run, 50 Crunches, 50 squats, 50 pushups
    ~G~

11/30

I was moving around boxes for a few hours yesterday and again for a few hours this morning so I was already feeling pretty warm when I got to the gym. My right shoulder/ rotator cuff doesnt feel great again and it is starting to frustate me that this keeps coming back to bother me.

Workout: 10am

Machine BP -Close Grip- 175*12, 255*10, 260*8, 265*6, 265*4 -I did close grip to both mix it up and because it felt better on my RC

Bradford Press -Seated- 20*10, 35*8, 45*6, 50*5- cheated to lock out last rep

Leg Extensions 150*10, 150*10, 150*10, 150*10 - last set was hard might go for a fifth set next time or increase the weight

DB Floor Press 50s*10, 50s*10, 50s*10, kept elbows out wide and right shoulder felt odd but not painful

DB Dead lifts to Hang Clean 50s*5, 50s*5, 50s*5 - just trying something different to keep myself motivated, movement was akward

DB Curls Alternating 35*10, 25*10, 45*4 + 40*4- + 35*4-, did it like a drop set for that last melee, 35*3 -burned out just to make sure I was all done

1/2 mile run

I plan on doing some cardio later on today and will post again
    ~G~

11/30 part 2

I wanted to get in a good cardio session today because I knew I was going to have some time but not directly after my gym workout.

Workout:

10 miles in a bit under an hour biking.... I also did a quick warmup before hand and a cool down but really just more checking the feel of things

100 situps

I have to say that a bike ride of that distance was much harder than I remember. You see it has been almost 2 years since I was on my bike but back than I was a regular I was doing 10 miles on a short day and up to 30 miles when I was motivated. I still had some fun with it and mixed up my pace and hit it hard up some hills and not others. So you see it is not like I am a true cyclist but have always found it a fun way to knock the cobwebs out.
    ~G~

12/2

Wow where did the year go....

Workout: 9am - It was a real crazy night and I was a bit thrown off this morning so I missed my first ECA dose which means I went into the workout a bit "cold"

DB External Rotations Standing with Elbow Support on Bar L and R 15*10, 15*10
    Lat Raises Front 20*10, 20*10

Weight for Distance Exercises
    DB Load and Twist 40*10, 40*10

Leg Press 200*10, 280*10, 320*5, 380*5, 380*5, had to drop down 360*5, 360*10 - really burn it out, could have probably done more

Lat Pull Downs w 2 u handles (to work on grip) from floor Right 100*10 Left 100*10, Right 120*10 Left 120*10, Right 130*10 Left 130*10 - this felt real good and I think it will help me with my bodyweight pullups, I had to dig down real deep to get the last set with my right and left but kept up form

Tricep Pull Downs w rope 80*10, 100*10, 100*10 - I continue to work real hard not to cheat these and focus in on my triceps and it felt like I had a real good mind muscle connection this time

Military Press 105*10, 105*10, 120*10

Hammer Curls -back against the wall- 35*10, 35*8, 30*8

1/4 mile walk, 50 crunches, no lunges, no pushups
    ~G~

12/8

Unexpected guests and some changes at work have caused me not to post for a few days but I am back have no fear

Workout: 11:30am

3/4 mile warmup fast walk to jog

Lat Raises Front 20*10, 20*10
    Lat Raises Sides 20*10, 20*10

Weight for Distance Exercises
    DB Load and Twist 40*10, 40*10

Machine BP 135*10, 175*8, 240*6, 265*5 by 5 - my right RC felt weird during warmups but once I started the 5 by 5 it was all good

DB Bradford Press -Seated- 25*10, 25*8, 25*8 - drop down in weight and went up in reps from last time

Leg Extensions 150*15, 170*10, 190*10, 200*10 - last two reps I had to really work for and am not sure about what direction I want to take this either with more reps or more weight..... Any Ideas?

Military Press 110*10, 110*10, 110*9+ - I didnt get 10 and it wasnt past half way so I will call it a 9+ instead of a 10-

Std Alt DB Curls 45*10, 40*8, 35*8 - had to dig deep for last two reps

1/2 mile jog to walk, 50 Crunches, 50 squats, no pushups

ECA update:
    I missed one of my three ECA doses twice this week and all three once while traveling I didnt pack them as I thought I had in my suitcase. I have no way of making up for these 3 days but for those of you following this for the ECA information I thought it important to note.
    ~G~

12/10

I liked the article on the home page titled "Leave Lat Pull down Land" and decided to give it a try for the next 8 weeks as described by Craig Weller

Workout: 12pm

DB External Rotations Standing with Elbow Support on Bar L and R 20*10, 25*10
    Lat Raises Front 20*10, 25*10

Pull-up Work -okay goal was 25 good reps with rest when needed and scapula focus.... I really dont think I was getting myself high enough and some were not even close enough for me to shoot my chin over the bar so I counted them as 1/2 reps

5 pull-ups, rest, 2.5 chin-ups, long rest - counted it as 7.5 total
    2.5 pull-ups, rest, 3 (all not high enough so) 0.5 chin-ups, rest, 4 neutral grip, long rest - counted it as 8 total
    2.5 pull-ups w/green band on foot for assistance, rest, 2.5 chin-ups w/band, rest, 2.5 neutral grip, long rest - counted it as 7.5 total
    3*0.5 pull-ups, 3*0.5 chin-ups - ugly and tired counted it as 2 not 3

Not sure how I am going to format this for future workouts but I hope you get the idea of what I was doing, or rather trying to do, and trust me even with long 1 minute rest breaks that bar was my enemy by the end of it...I can still feel it now 8 hours later

Tricep Standing Overhead Extensions 50*10*3 sets -elbows were not as close to head as should have been

Seated Rows with rope instead of u-handle for grip work 150*10*3 sets

Standing Machine Curls with rope instead of t-handle for grip work 100*12, 120*10, 140*8 - a bit of cheating but mostly clean

1/2 mile walk, 50 Crunches, no squats, 50 pushups
    ~G~

12/13

So my gym card would not work today and although I was not happy about it I decided to quickly use that energy towards a workout I had read..... CAR PUSHING

Workout:

1/4 mile Car Pushing of 4,000 lbs SUV

-2.5 laps around the Elementary School parking lot near my home. I measured it out to be a bit over 1/10 mile per lap so that puts me at .25 miles of pushing. I did not have anyone with me to drive so I would stop and start a lot to run up and turn the wheel. It might have been the way I was pushing but I had to come to a complete stop often and adjust course. The groud was a bit wet from last nights rain and the parking lot had some dirt and gravel in it I did not notice until after my grip to the pavement was compromised... ie I slipped.. yes yuck it up.. I promise anyone watching as they drove by got a good laugh out of it also. The circle also had a slight grade to it in several spots which added to the difficulty. I estimate my SUV's curb weight at about 4,000 lbs.

My legs dont feel it as much as my low back does so I think I may need to change up my form or use a back belt next time... any thoughts?

50 crunches, no squats, 50 pushups,
    ~G~

12/13

I was given some good advice and have decided to add Nick Tumminello upper body warmup to my routine. I also need to work on making my Rhomboids stronger, any ideas?

Workout: 4pm

1 mile warmup fast walk to jog

SMR-self myofascial response- I didnt have time to weight for the medicine ball other people were using so I didnt do this

DM-dynamic mobility- Jumping Jacks, Y-Jacks, X-Jacks, Floor Arm Crossovers -15 each - I didnt have a Dowel to use but that is also something that should have been included, may omit it entirely or look for an alternative

MA-muscle activation- T-Roll Pushups 4 reps each side, Reverse Burpees 8 reps, LYTP 10 each

CNS activation- Plyo Pushups 4- rotations which kicked my A*S, Explosive Inverted Rows 8 reps

Leg Press 200*10, 280*10, 320*6, 360*6, 380*5, 400*5, 400*5 -felt strong

Tricep Rope Pulldowns 100*10, 4 sets

Military Press 105*10, 4 sets -first 3 real fast on way up last one much slower

Std Alt DB Curls 30*10, 4 sets

Farmers Walk DB 50s R/L for 100ft, 50s+15s R/L for 65ft, 50s+25s R/L for 50ft -lost grip at end, 50s R/L for 80ft -to burn it out, difficulty of holding two DBs with each hand really added to the grip work element

1/2 mile fast walk

100 crunches, no squats, no pushups
    ~G~

12/16

Workout:

SMR- 2 min

DM- Jumping Jacks to Y-Jacks to X-Jacks to Crossovers 15, 15

MA- T-Roll Pushups 6, 4
    Reverse Burpees 8, 6
    LYTP 10 each

CNS- Plyo Pushups 2, 2

Machine BP 135*10, 175*10, 225*8, 250*6, 265*5 -okay here is where it gets interesting because that is as high as the machine goes so I gripped the bar and DBs at the same time to add additional weight and it worked okay
    270*5, 285*5, 295*5, 305*5

Leg Ext 170*10, 190*10, 220*10, 240*10, 265*6 -felt tweaky on my right knee so the last set so I didnt push it past 6 reps

Military Press 110*10, 110*10, 110*8 -went wider than normal with my grip

Pull-up Work- remember "-" means I didnt like my height or form on the rep
    6 Chin-ups, 5 Pull-ups, 6 Neutral grip, long break
    4 Chin-ups, 3, 2- Pull-ups, 4 Neutral grip, long break
    1, 2- Chin-ups, 2- Pull-ups, 2, 1- Neutral grip, long break
    10 sec holds, 10 sec holds, 8 sec holds -the pull-up work felt much better this time and I really focused on getting my shoulders even with the bar and not just getting my chin over it infact I almost liked it

1/2 mile fast walk to jog

~G~

12/18

Kind of a boring day...

Workout:

SMR- 2 min

MA- T-Roll Pushups 10, Reverse Burpees 10, LYTP 10 each

CNS- Plyo Pushups 2, 2- had to stop and start on last rotation, TRX rows 15, 15

DB Rows 50*6, 50*6, 50*6, 50*6, 50*6

DB Complex 30s - Deadlift, Curls, RDL, bent over Row, Cleans, Front Squat, Reverse Split Leg pushup, One DB Goodmornings -10 each -
    I had seen a video on this compex and wanted to try it because some of the posts said it was real hard.... they were right. I took a 30sec break after the Cleans which is not the way it was demonstrated. Try it out and let me know what you think.

DB Good Mornings 50*10, 50*10, 50*10 -didnt feel like I hit it enough in the DB complex so added these

DB skull crushers w/palms up 35s*10, 35s*10, 35s*8 -was losing form so didnt cheat them

1/2 mile fast walk to jog

Last edited by Geometheus; 01-29-2010 at 06:45 PM.
    ~G~

12/19

Ok so I am behind on these posts but things are real busy this time of the year... please forgive me.

Workout:

Pick up soccer game which came to about 1.5 hrs of me running after people much smaller than I am. Good thing for me I have okay wind and a mean sprint so I kept up.... not really my kind of game so doubt I do it on a regular basis.
    ~G~

12/20

Okay so I am real excited about this post.... I hope you all are also. So I decided that I needed to get into a "real" gym and test myself before the end of the year. A friend of mine got me a day-pass and he was good enough to spot and hang out with me while I went through a mock meet.

FYI I dont use gear (nothing against it just not what I know) and have not been inside of a gym other than the one at my apartment compex for about 2 years. As soon as I walked in I was super excited and know for sure I got to put this on my list of needs (not wants) for when I get a new job.

Workout:

SMR- 2 min upper body and lower body

MA- T-Roll Pushups 6, 4
    LYTP 10 each
    Inside Crescent to Outside Crescent to Roundhouse Kick 10

CNS- Plyo Pushups 2, 2

BB Bench Press
    135*10, 185*6, 225*5, 275*4, 295*1, 315*1, 335*1, 345*0-failure
    - my form felt okay but I could tell it was rusty in particular when it came to staying planted on the bench. I was not moving all over the place and my spot said it looked good but I could tell it was not as solid as it should have been.

Dead Lifts
    135*10, 225*6, 315*4, 385*1, 425*1, 455*0-failure, 455*0-failure
    - tried for 455 twice bc my head was not in it the first time but probably should have gone for 435-or-445 since 425 felt easy.

Squats
    135*10, 225*6, 315*2, 385*1, 405*1,
    - no failure attempt but 405 had a long pause and I was not happy with the way my form was headed. I wanted to do these first but someone was doing curls at the ONLY station, so I ended up doing them last.

Also my spot was running out of time and I was a bit more rushed between attempts than I had planned .... still no excuse for these sad numbers, but it gives me a point of reference heading into the New Year.
    ~G~

12/21

Sorry I forgot this in my last post and wanted to update the info because it has been about a month again. ECA is going well and my diet remains difficult but I am attempting some form of self control..... but damn Eggnog and Cookies make that hard!!!

Statistics:
    Height 71", Weight 259lbs, Neck 18", Chest 50.5", Gut 42.5", Hips 44", Arms 18", Thighs (6"above knee) 25.5", Calfs 18" -very happy that my Neck and Arms grew while my Chest and Gut got smaller as things are looking tighter and better.

Goals- I really think that 245lbs is what I should aim for, I feel it is achievable without much additional work and continuing with what I am doing. That also might be a great reason to look at something closer to 215.... I will think about it.

I am still real happy with the ECA and how it is going at about 60 days in. So far I am down 17lbs and my strength actually feels like its going up not down. I am not losing weight as fast as I was at first but it appears to be still working so I plan on finishing up this 90 day run and than looking at my options.
    ~G~