Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: ECA HG MMA and all that

Best of luck G man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets see some vids too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

The Highland Brawler Geometheus's Avatar
    2/27/2010

Huskybear: Thanks for your support !!!! Videos or pics may be coming soon depending on what my buddies wife got of me.

Everyone else who sent me PMs and texts and IMs thank you also !!!!

Highland Games - "North Texas Heavies Kickoff Games"
    - B Division
    - First GAMES of the year !!!!
    - I didnt sleep real well the night before and was a bit slow warming up - 5hr Energy Drink helped some-
    - In a game you get 3 throws for each event and the best of them is scored unless a tie needs to be broken. On height events like Sheaf and Weight Over Bar it is 3 throws at each higher level you qualify for up the poles.

Braemar Stone (PR 27' 6") - 25' 2.5" - 3rd - ugly not happy with this, the stone was much larger than what I had been training with and it took my last throw to get a feel for how to move it

Open Stone (PR 34' 7.5") - 30' 10" - 3rd - also ugly I need to work on stones more, we were using a college shotput so somewhere out there my coach is crying at this throw, I had prepared for a flatter light stone and using a glide to thow but mixed it up to (what I thought was) my old shotput form

BREAK - at this point I was a bit shaken up an had to refocus

Heavy Weight for Distance (PR 25' 11.5") - 24' 8" - 4th - it wasnt the 26 ft plus I wanted to set a new PR but I came in to this event (unlike stones) knowing I wouldnt finish at the top

Light Weight for Distance (PR 46' 10") - 49' 8.5" - 2nd - new PR felt good enough but wasnt 50ft plus like I wanted, and which would have earned me some 1st place points, but I needed the victory of a personel record at this point to get me fired up!

BREAK - I was NOT writing down throws as I went along but out of the dozen or so of us in the flight I knew I would have a lot of fighting back to do if I just had a shot at 3rd place overall since the first 4 events were always my strongest last year. Plus with only 1 new PR on the day it wasnt going to well thus far. I ate a protein bar and stretched for hammers. Lucky for me anything can happen and things did get much better.

Heavy Scottish Hammer (PR 59' 7") - 70' 5.5" - 2nd - new PR felt real good and almost good enough for first place points it was better than I had done even in practice. Something was kicking in to help me step up my game.

Light Scottish Hammer (PR 79' 2") - 90' 3" - 1st - new PR felt real good and took the field with this one

BREAK - Lunch time. I tend not to eat the BBQ, chicken, burgers, etc provided at games. The athletes spread always looks real good but I just cant keep that stuff down and stick with protein shakes and fruit I pack the night before. I was feeling much better but my energy was starting to drop and the refuel was needed. For god measure I took another 5hr Energy Drink and mixed a second bottle of shake to sip on.

Caber -16'4" 100lbs taper low (PR NA) - 35, 60, 50 - 2nd - I didnt turn it but neither did anyone else in the B flight, and only 4 athletes on the entire day did it so I was disappointed but not surprised at my score. I have heard a math equation for calculating force to turn a caber is online but I have yet to find it, let me know if you do. When I just post the height and weight and taper type I dont think it does the Caber any justice and trust me she deserves some respect.

Sheaf (PR 18' 0") - 26' - 1st - new PR, I have no idea where this came from. When I started it took me a while to warm up but than as the bar kept going higher so did my throws. Only 2 throwers (both As) moved past 26 ft with me and on my throws at 28 ft I kept hitting the post or bar but not falling right to go over, later one of the guys still throwing told me because of the height I should have came out another step from the poles. I am still VERY happy with this throw and hope to build on it going forward.

Weight for Height (PR 11'-0") - 11' - 4th - setting up poles would have also helped here to work on form but that was not how I practiced. I hit the bar from the top side at 12' but it went towards me instead of away from me, so I am comfortable I will get it next time. It also did not help that before I started my throws one of the spectators (who I know keeps a score sheet) said that the ranking was already set because of the big space between top 2 and the rest of the pack. My traps were already on fire from so many throws on the sheaf so I think better planning and setting up poles will help for next time here also.

OVERALL - 2nd PLACE - I finished with 22 points and the winner had 19 with the rest of the field a good bit of distance behind. A 22 is a great score since it is rare in these games for anyone to score 1st or 2nd in every event, so eventhough in this case 9 would be perfect that is VERY rare. Some other cool things about the day was I got to meet a few Strongman athletes, former NFL players, NCAA throwers, and a former Olympic powerlifter. I felt honored to be out throwing with them. They were all in the A Division and that is where I want to be so I plan on working hard and getting up to that level soon.

Thanks again for your support and I hope to post some pics or videos soon.
    ~G~
    Best Raw Lifts Former/Current: 445/505 SQ, 425/345 BP, 530/425 DL
    My training log.... on the way back up with new focus
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130681

Talk about gut check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G... you didn't just break PR's you frickin' smashed them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done bro... all the work is paying off huge!!!!!

Can't wait to seem some video of this stuff!!!!

Great job... keep that momentum going now!
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Huskybear: Thank you! It felt real good to set those new PRs I am going to start looking at ways to increase my explosive power in stones and weight overbar. Also I might need to come up with a better way to warmup and start my meet days so I dont have any more slow starts.

Not sure if the gym is in the cards for today but I will probably try to go a bit later and do some chest or light stuff and Cardio depending on how sore I am still
    ~G~

Awesome to see you do so well, damn near won the thing, congrats.

Coke: Yeah it was close. I wish I had come out of the gates better on stones. I need to spend some time working on them -maybe look at what college shot putters are doing for ideas. Once I can get my numbers up a bit more and win another one or two in B I think I will be moved up to A class.

3/2/2010

A much needed day of rest yesterday but now it was time to rise and shine and hit the gym again. I slept real good last night and it was sooooo needed.

Workout: -5am

Warmup- light stretching

1/2 mile warmup fast walk

Incline Bench to Flat Bench than a break 3 times:
    Incline Bench 95*10-warmup, 135*10, 185*10, 205*10 -I think this might help me with stones more than traditional bench press because of the angle, thoughts???

Close Grip Flat Bench for Speed with Feet up 135*10 for 3 sets

Miltary Press to Delts to Lat Pulldowns than a break 3 times:
    DB Military Press 50*10, 65*10, 70*8 - questionable debth on last set

Front to Side Delt Raises 20*10 for 3 sets

Lat Pulldowns extra wide grip 100*15, 160*10, 180*10 - made sure depth was real low to sternum

Rear Delt to French to Curls than a break 3 times:
    Rear Delt Machine open grip 100*10, 120*10, 140*10

French Press 50*15, 70*15, 85*10

Alt DB Curls 35*10, 40*10, 30*15

Cool Down

1/2 mile jog

no crunches, no squats, no pushups
    ~G~

Looking strong man, nice volume!
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

muscle_g: Thanks man. I tried to keep it like a regular day today eventhough I was still not back to 100% from the weekend's competition.
    ~G~

3/3/2010

Statistics:
    Weight 254lbs - I have been off of ECA for a while now and have put back on some of the weight. I have also not been as clean in my diet or regular in my Cardio. The break felt good but I need to buckle back down.

Warmup- light stretching

Squats to Bench than a break for 4 sets:
    Squats 135*10 -warmup, 225*10, 275*10, 315*10 - kept it light and good form

BB Bench Press 135*10 -warmup, 225*10 for 3 sets - felt easy but liked doing higher volume

Standing BB Strict Press 135*6, 95*6, 95*6, 95*6, 95*12 - saw it in another journal and wanted to try it

Hip Hang Snatch: 95*6 for 3 sets - trying to get movement down, new idea from a HG athlete I befriended at the games

Leg Curls to Leg Ext to Triceps to Biceps than a break 4 times:
    Leg Curls 100*10, 110*10, 120*10, 150*10

Leg Extensions 100*10, 110*10, 120*10, 150*10

Tricep Extension Machine 70*12, 80*12, 90*12, 110*12

Bicep Curl Machine 70*12, 80*12, 90*10, 100*8

Cool Down

1/2 mile jog

no crunches, no squats, no pushups
    ~G~

3/3/2010 part 2

It was such a nice day outside that I decided to get some much needed Cardio in

Cardio:

2 mile run - not a jog like I do in the morning.... this was full out run and let me say I was more winded than I thought I would be doing this.... maybe I need to work back up to 5 miles like I was doing in the good ol' days

2 mile walk

100 crunches, 100 squats, 100 pushups
    ~G~

Way to stay on it with the back-to-back early bird sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Way to stay on it with the back-to-back early bird sessions.
    Thanks Coke.............. but as you will notice I didnt make it up this morning at 4:45 to get to the gym by 5am. I am not saying that you jinkst me but getting up that early is a bear, particularly when I dont have to get up and go to work that early anymore. Instead I slept in until 7 today and I have to say it felt GREAT! I plan on hitting the gym sometime this afternoon after I get a few more things done around the house.

I have also been looking into some of the workouts that track and field throwers use for tips on how to improve my Highland Games numbers.
    Last edited by Geometheus; 03-04-2010 at 10:23 PM.
    ~G~

3/4/2010

Cardio:
    2 mile run

1 mile walk

The arches of my feet hurt after I got past mile 1.5 on the run so I knew some blister were in the works. I left my socks and shoes on and just did the walk, stretched out, and than went to the gym. Later I found two dime size blisters on the bottoms of my feet. I dont have the walk outside barefoot/ run on hot pavement type feet like some people I know and I will admit I am a bit envious of it. I hate that I have to retrain not just my mind to run but also my feet.

Workout: -3:30pm

Warmup- light stretching

Braemar Pulls to Flys to Curls to Chin-ups than a break 4 times:
    Braemar Pulls L/R 40*10 for 4 sets - I am trying to simulate the form I use for stones with a soft strap and a cable weight

Machine Flys 90*10, 120*10, 135*10, 150*10

Hammer Curls 30*10, 35*10, 40*8, 45*6-fail drop to-30*6

Chin-ups 5 for 4 sets

Dips to Miltary Press to Pullovers to Grip than a break 4 times:
    Dips 10 for 4 sets

Machine Military Press 90*10, 105*10, 120*10, 135*10 - went deeper and faster vs my BB work

Kneeling Rope Pullovers Prayer Pose 100*15, 120*20, 140*20, 150*15 - can not remember what this is called

DE Grip Hex DB Tossing 15*20, 20*20, 25*20, 30*2-fail drop to-20*20 -Huskybear this one is for you - I got it worked into the rotation and I liked it. I started out with lighter DBs and wanted 20 touches per hand alternating with no real pattern to try and keep it interesting. I can see how this will improve my grip strength a bunch already!!!

Neutral Grip Pull-ups 5, 5 -had more in the tank after Chin-ups and wanted to burn it out

Hanging Leg Raises 5, 5 -I use to do sets for 20 each and this felt weak, got to work on my core

Hanging Knee Ups 10, 10 -frustrated I had to drop to these from the Leg Raises

Cool Down

1/2 mile walk

200 crunches, 50 squats, no pushups

Song of the Workout: "The Distance", Cake
    Last edited by Geometheus; 03-04-2010 at 10:22 PM.
    ~G~

Great work G!

Fun getting back to running isn't it... I find the mental strain the worse - something about getting back to the runner mindset is difficult lol

As for the Hex tosses... great job... they are a bugger but looks like you'll back short work of it... glad they are a good feel... now I just hope they yield results!!!

My Journal

3/5/2010

Huskybear: I am glad you understand when I talk about the mental part of running. When I did track and field in high school I could do a 12 mile jog and after the Marines a 20 mile jog. Granted I was closer to 210-225 at that time and younger but my goal this time around is to have a respectable 5 mile run time and drop a few pounds in the process. I was looking more into the 105kg Strongman contests and would love to be able to put up a good showing at one. Put that under the category of "Long Term Goals." Short Term Goal remains getting down to cutting distance of 105kg and having my SQ/BP/DL back up to my former PR marks.

Cardio:

45 min of 90 min soccer game - lots of running and all of that stuff, a good sweat but I quickly made up for it by going out for Chinese. Oh yummy so good TGIF
    ~G~

Do that voodoo that he do
    Good work at the games, man.

As for your training, we'll definitely need to talk because if you're serious about training for power you're pretty off.

As for your boot camp question that you texted me (I think this is what you were asking):

Most of the answers will depend on the boot camp:

-Most "boot camps" are based on fat loss. Most are aimed at women.
    -Usually it's about 3x/week, 60 minutes.
    -Activities include running, bodyweight work, light dumbbells (usually you bring your own), and that type of thing.
    -Costs vary widely by market but are generally somewhere in the $100-200/month range.
    -Some camps have fixed periods of time (ie 4 weeks, 8 weeks, whatever) while others run on a more continuous basis.

That being said, "boot camp" is really kind of a catch-all. It would really depend on what you come across.

For example, my camps in Bangor, ME (not the world's most lucrative OR progressive personal training/fitness market) consist of:

-Ongoing camps
    -$120/month, 3x/week
    -have a strong strength component (50 year-old women dragging sleds, swinging sledgehammers, and running agility drills)
    -We use kettlebells, sandbags, dumbbells, sleds, sledges, battle ropes, chunks of wood, and anything else that I think will make them stronger, faster, and fitter.

Then again, as you can imagine, I run my camps differently than some aerobics instructor who's trying to cash in on the "boot camp" phenomenon.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

3/6/2010

Sorry I have not been in here over the weekend but I have a stomach bug of some kind. I did some light Cardio on Saturday in the morning and from the time I got back until now things have not been pretty. I will spare you all the details but needless to say I will not be making it to the gym today.

Cardio:
    5 mile fast walk - I wanted to plan out the way I would go for my longer runs as I can not just do laps for distances over 2 miles or I get bored.
    ~G~

Borris: Thank you for visiting my journal and for your information on Boot Camps, you are always a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate it.

I think the 3 boot camps in my area, to include the one at my apartment complex I checked out, are not anything like the ones you are doing up in Bangor. I would have a much better time participating in one that involved:
    Quote Originally Posted by Borris View Post
    -We use kettlebells, sandbags, dumbbells, sleds, sledges, battle ropes, chunks of wood, and anything else that I think will make them stronger, faster, and fitter.
    but the ones that I am seeing around me are more in the category of, based on your definition, cardio bunnies calling what they do boot camps. Pass.

As far as my Workouts go I know I am a bit all over the place in here and I am glad you are calling me out on it. My initial plan was to use the apartment complex gym to the max and get back on ECA to drop some weight. Step 1 was a sucess and although I have some more weight to lose I think the first 30lbs (or so) of fat and lazy were good to get rid of. Step 2 was to work on exercises in the gym that would help my Highland Games performance and get me to the A's, and thus far that has gone well but I know I am missing things in this department.

A friend of mine's wife works at a 24hr gym in the area so they have been getting me in with passes and this was unplanned but it has helped me move more weight and retest some of my strength lifts: bb bp, deadlift, and squat. I have been researching and talking to a few guys in the area who are strongman and am considering working out with them for a 105kg contest, ie the light big men . I am a good ways off the mark for some of the lifts that I would need to be competitive but where I need to be for some of the apparatus events. I will have a much better idea once I get to "the Cave gym" that they train at and see for myself what I can do with kegs, stones, fingers, yokes, etc.

I would love your help Borris and also welcome the feedback from anyone else reading.
    ~G~

Heal up quickly hombre!!

Get back on track to the "A"

Sounds like a great evaluation of your training again too and some great opportunity with the strongmen...

My Journal

3/9/2010

Huskybear: Thank you, I try to "keep it real" when I look back over what I am doing and what my goals are. Writing things down in a journal is something I have done for a long time but putting them up on a place like WBB has helped me do much more analysis, and you and everyone elses feedback is a big part of that.

Stomach bug is almost out of my system but I feel super tired still. I told my gym buddy that he could drive the workout today as I was happy just to be out of bed and showing up. He took it in a different direction than what I do normally as you will see below.

Statistics:
    Weight 248lbs - I knew it would be way down from last week as I have not kept much down over the past several days.

Warmup- light stretching to include some ball work and 1/2 ball (not sure name of it) stuff

Rev Grip Pulldowns (Chin-up style) 100*12, 160*10, 220*10, 260*6

Single Arm Seated Cable Rows L/R 60*10, 80*10, 100*10

Cable Pullovers to BB Curls than a break 4 times:
    Cable Pullovers with an arching motion to hip level 80*10, 100*10, 120*10, 160*10 -not a fan of this movement and put strain on my low back that already felt like crap from all the yacking this wknd

BB Curls with ultra wide grip and tucked elbows 45*10, 65*10, 85*10, 105*10 -felt weird

Machine Curls with 8sec up-hold top-8sec down 45*8, 50*8, 60*8 -with so small a weight it was amazing how much it made my biceps pump *feeling huge*

Scott Curls 25*10, 30*10 -interesting new movement using back of seat and twisting at bottom

Cool Down

1/2 mile walk

100 crunches, no squats, no pushups

Song of the Workout: "Headstrong to Take on Anyone", Trapt
    ~G~

Do that voodoo that he do
    Before anyone thinks I'm just being a dick, understand that I know Geo very well and can talk pretty straight to him. Also, when it comes to developing speed and power, that's sort of what I do.

Remember what your goals are (as I understand them):

1. Be in decent shape so you're healthy, mobile, and look half-way decent.
    2. Be strong, fast, and explosive for Highland Games.

What about your current workouts are doing that? The type of training you're doing is vaguely inefficient for a bodybuilder and pretty awful for a HG competitor.

There's a lack of whole-body lifts, in general you're not moving much real weight, you're training a lot of slow, isolation lifts. One thing you are doing well is moving fairly quickly (as I read it) between lifts. This is good as it will increase your work capacity. This will allow you to train heavier and more frequently in the future. I know that you also have some limitations as far as equipment, gyms, and time, but let's make it happen.

Step one: Find your 3-5 big lifts that you KNOW will improve your HG (and coincidently I bet you'll find they improve your physique). Now these are what we need to improve.

Step two: Select lifts that will improve the lifts of step one.

Step three: Keep from getting fat and lazy.

Get into that strongman gym, man. Training with stronger people than you will make you stronger faster than anything else.

Once I get my move finished I'm going to find a HG group. I'll see you at Nationals in a few years.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Borris: Yes thank you for claifying to my other friends on here... he is not "being a dick" ... in this instance

The Goals:
    1. Be healthy, mobile, and look better
    I know from past gym experience that I can eat like a machine and move weights. My goal this time around is not to be a 285lbs beast but a sexier, stronger, and smaller version of that same animal. I am not looking for a bodybuilder cut just something to show off my muscle at the pool and keeps me in a place where I dont lose wind or flexibility and could make a 105kg event, if I decide later to go down that road.

2. Be strong, fast, and explosive for HG
    You are right I am not moving fast or explosive in any of my current gym movements. I added in the combined set workouts after reading them in other peoples journal and it seemed both time efficient and a good way to get in some extra Cardio. I would like to keep this in the new program if possible because I have grown to really enjoy the quick transitions and rounds.

I will think about it some more and try to come up with some ideas on new movements I could do in the place of some of what I am doing now.
    ~G~

3/9/2010 part 2

Got outside and thought about running but decided to just do a fast walk instead. No excuses WHEN I am feeling better tomorrow. I hate being sick! This stomach thing should be just about out of my system by that time. That is the plan.

Cardio:

4 mile fast walk

100 crunches, 100 squats, 100 pushups
    ~G~

Quote Originally Posted by Borris View Post
    Before anyone thinks I'm just being a dick...
    It's a little late.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA j/k

G I think it's great to have someone who knows exactly what you need to be doing training wise and is able to give you advice and direction towards achieving your goals. Throw in his experience and knowledge and you're far and away ahead of the game.

Glad you're feeling better too... keep mashing your training hombre!!!

As a side note, I've added push-ups to the warmup portion of my training, and making alright progress there, which we will put to the test today when I have a fitness assessment lol good times

My Journal

Huskybear: Yeah Borris is good people He has known me for a long long time. Also I am glad to see you doing the pushups and Good luck on the fitness assessment

I got sick again last night so I did not push it and hit the gym this morning at 5am. So far so good today and if lunch stays down I will probably get in a later afternoon light workout at the apartment complex gym.

Randomness:
    Being home and sick I have been watching day time TV. This is NOT something I do often and I can not recall when the last time was but I know it has been a very long time! The things I have seen demonstrated in the last few days showcasing both entertainers/hosts general lack of knowledge in all things science and history coupled with the kinds of commercials on during the breaks are enough to melt someones brain and lose a part of ones humanity.
    ~G~