The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

The Highland Brawler Geometheus's Avatar

HG MMA ECA and all that

Hello and thank you for checking this out. I hope you come back often.

This is my first time ever blogging so here we go.....

I wanted to start this thread as a way to both track and share my: workouts, training, and supplementation with everyone. My goal is to have a good record and a place to gather feedback from others.

Lets get it started

History: I started working out in the summer of 1996 while in high school. I would learn later what I did for the next few years was not working out but just hanging out in the gym. I got serious about working out after going through Parris Island with the Marines. I served in the reserves while going to college and that is where I started my love hate relationship with the gym.

I did kickboxing and aikido for 8 years. I have not been a member of a dojo for a few years now and miss it. Currently I participate in the HG (Highland Games), which if you have never seen you 100% need to check it out sometime. They have been going on for a thousand years and are the traditional games of the Celtic peoples. Yes, I can read your mind; and no they dont involve drinking. The best way to picture HG is to think decathlon for strongman in kilts set in a St. Patrickís Day party out on a green with a real cool bunch of people. - end of plug. I also have plans to join a MMA gym within the next few months. Most of my workouts are geared toward building strength for HG competitions and soon hopefully also getting into a MMA gym. I have a hard time moving away from Powerlifting as that was the basis for most of my strength training through 2005. From 2005 until now I have a laundry list of excuses but bottom line is I have been on again off again in the gym and I am determined to get back into my old routine of discipline and hard work.

10/29

I have done an ECA stack before (read as 6 yeas ago back when you could just go to GNC and buy the real Xenadrine) and am working my way back on now. For the past three days I have done a LoCarb Monster and OJ with my breakfast (because I really dont drink anything caffeinated normally that has been a big RUSH) and this morning I started with one Primatene, for my asthma . I will see how it feels and increases dosage from here.

Statistics:
    Height 71", Weight 276lbs, Neck 18", Chest 52", Gut 43", Hips 41",
    Arms 17.5", Thighs (6"above knee) 22.5", Calfs 18", BF est. 25% ? - will have a friend of mine who is a trainer break out the calipers this week.

I will post again soon with more info on what I am doing in the gym
    Last edited by Geometheus; 10-30-2009 at 01:56 PM.
    ~G~
    Best Raw Lifts Former/Current: 445/505 SQ, 425/345 BP, 530/425 DL
    My training log.... on the way back up with new focus
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130681

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

10/30

I had my buddy break out the fat calipers and my estimate was pretty close. He came back with 23% BF and he said that it is +/- 3% error so as long as we keep using the same method should be a good way to track progress.

ECA update:

My first dose yesterday went good so I did another at 10:30 and my last dose at 2:30. I am starting with each dose of 12.5 Ephedrine HCL, one 81mg baby aspirin, and 100mg Caffeine. I know that this is less than the typical stack but as I mentioned yesterday I want to ease myself back into it.

I did a lot of reading on HCL vs Sulfate and was curious if anyone had experience with either they would like to share with me.....

From what I read it appears that the Sulfate is cheaper but the HCL is slightly more potent and since the price difference was only about $1 a week I didnt see it as a big deal which one I picked up. I only went with the HCL because the Walmart near my house didnt have any Bronkaid (Sulfate version). Another question I had is if anyone has seen studies documenting the benefit of cycling on and off?

I have read that the "punch" to energy levels decreases as your body gets use to the ECA but that it will continue to help with weight loss. When I was on old Xenadrine for about 9 months I did notice that the "punch" did fade over time so I just increased my dosage. Regardless of the stimulant effect it is the weight loss I am more concerned about this time around.

I am not sure if anyone else has seen it but I found "The Health Professional's Guide to Dietary Supplements" by Shawn Talbott and Kerry Hughes to be a good source and it refers to several different studies involving ECA. None of the studies I have found involved athletes, a common problem I find with many supplements, but if anyone knows of one involving athletes or people whom were not obese at the onset of the study please let me know so I can check it out. Also again, I would love to hear about other members in regards to any experience they have had with the ECA stack.

-Side bar-

Saw palmetto is it a waste of money or does it do something of value for testosterone levels?
    Last edited by Geometheus; 11-02-2009 at 09:12 AM.
    ~G~

11/2/09

What a long weekend!!!

Well I have to say that my goal is to give a good account of my training and supplementation but this next entry should be taken into consideration only under full view of the statement.

I think I am immuned to the Primatene. All it seems to be doing for me is making my nose run constantly and giving me a slight temperature spike about 20min after I take it.

I am now up to a full 25mg dose 3 times a day. Yesterday just to see how I would react I took my last dose at 5pm, which from everything I have read online is a big no-no, and guess what I slept like a baby from 9pm-4am. My appetite is less than it was before but I am use to eating certain foods and drinking shakes in given amounts throughout the day so it has not changed my eating much. I am going to pick up some Bronkaid tonight and see if that is any different.

Really I am just belly aching and am not happy with having a constant runny nose but I do plan on continuing on this regiment for at least 12 weeks to document the results. I hope that it is just a flu bug or something else that happens to be effecting me at the same time as the start of my ECA stack.
    Last edited by Geometheus; 11-02-2009 at 09:13 AM.
    ~G~

11/3

Ok so it is confirmed that the Primatene is not to blame for my runny nose and instead I have a cold or flu bug.

I still did some light stretching and calisthenics exercises on top of my rehab exercises for my right rotator cuff and did a 4 mile fast walk but that was about all the energy I had in me, even with the ECA. When I dont feel well I find it helpful to still get into the gym and do something even if it is not at full strength or effort just to keep myself in the groove.

My sister is flying in tomorrow and I will be off my regular cycle for the rest of this week and some of next. I plan to still get a few workouts in and stay on ECA but I will not be online as much. I will be sure to make time to post my weight again tomorrow to give a one week update for those following the progress of the stack.
    ~G~

11/4

Statistics:
    Weight 271lbs

Well all and all not bad for my first week. I have to say that despite the cold and the ECA not giving me as much of a "punch" as I remember it appears to be working well to slim me down. I also would like to state that the added energy in the evenings is a welcome change from the previously normal sluggishness I would encounter after working all day.

As I mentioned yesterday I have family coming into town and I will not be online as much for the next week. When I return I will take the time to record my workout and lifting logs.
    ~G~

11/12

Statistics:
    Weight 269lbs

Okay back online. Had a good vacation and now its back to the grind. I kept up with ECA and although my diet wasnt clean I kept up with my daily protein intake. I try every day to get a minimum of 200grams (1gram per pound of lean muscle mass) and as a rule I dont take in much sugar or carbs. I have done Atkins before for long periods of time and although I would not say it is for everyone it definitly cleans up any bad eating habits you may have.

I realize I have not been good about eating details so let me fill you in on todays food plan. It is not so much a plan as I know what I eat every day because it really doesnot change much.

Food:

5:15 AM post workout: Protein Shake 50g Protein, 8g Carbs, 5g Creatine, 6oz apple juice (or other fruit juice I have around)

7:30 AM breakfast: Oatmeal (2 packages -56g) w/skim milk and organic peanut butter or Jimmy Dean Lean Breakfast Sandwiches, also do a low carb monster (king size) with OJ, V8 (12oz bottle)

11:00 AM snack: Kashi protein fiber bar, protein shake, or mixed nuts and fruit

12:30 PM lunch: protein bar, peanut butter (if didnt already have), fruit, sometimes I order out for lunch hamburgers or what not but normally not

2:30 PM snack: same variety as the 11AM one

5:30 PM dinner: whatever but with a strong bias towards lean protein -ie chicken or fish and light on the salt and carbs before bed

Supplements:
    -morning
    Multi Vitamin and Mineral
    Lysine
    Fish Oil
    Creatine (as mentioned above)
    Digestive Enzymes

-after dinner before bed I take
    B-50 plus more Fish Oil
    i have some old injuries ( but hey who doesnt) and its worth mentioning I take Aleve about once a week

Workout:

1/2mile warmup fast walk

BB Bench Press: 135*10, 175*10, 195*8, 215*6, 225*4

Lat Raises: 20*10, 20*10, 25*10

Cable Crossovers: 20*10, 40*10, 60*10

Military Press: 90*10, 120*8, 150*4

Cable Rows: 100*10, 130*10, 150*10

Dips: 3*right shoulder and rotator cuff started hurting -injury been following me around for last few months so I quit at 3

Pull ups: normally go here but bc of above pain did hangs for grip and stretch
    Hangs: 15 seconds, 15 seconds

DB Curls: 30*10, 35*8, 40*6

1/2 mile run, 50 crunches, 50 squats, 50 pushups
    ~G~

12/22

Workout:

1 mile warmup fast walk to jog - just to keep legs and the rest of me from tightening up

30min yoga session

I feel pretty good after all the lifts of a few days ago and think I will go back to my normal routine tomorrow
    ~G~

Strong workouts man!!
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...et-log-4-19-14

muscle_g - thank you I have been real worried what my lifts would be when I got back into a real gym
    ~G~

Quote Originally Posted by Geometheus View Post
    muscle_g - thank you I have been real worried what my lifts would be when I got back into a real gym
    Just keep at it and don't get to impatient with it and the gains will come. Do you compete in powerlifting or stongman?
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log

Quote Originally Posted by muscle_g View Post
    Just keep at it and don't get to impatient with it and the gains will come. Do you compete in powerlifting or stongman?
    No just Highland Games right now. I have been thinking about doing some MMA but probably just to get the rust off my "skills". I have thought about doing strongman but the 2 guys I know who do that around here are way stronger than me so I have a ways to go. As far as powerlifting goes its funny you mention it because I was looking around a couple days ago for meets in Texas. I think a tested raw show would be my best fit, thoughts or resources welcome?
    ~G~

1/8/2010

Happy 75th Birthday to the King! Got to watch some Elvis movies while doing my cardio

Statistics: 255 lbs, I didnt think this was right and got on and off the scale three times during the workout to confirm it, yippee for me!

Workout:

1/2 mile warmup fast walk to jog

2.5 mile treadmill 3.7mph flat angle 25 min

*felt real warm and loose so I didnt do the rest of the normal warmup, plus today was kind of a random day and I wasnt real sure what all I wanted to do other than a bunch of cardio

CNS- Plyo Pushups- 2, 2, 1, 1

Seated Military Press w/DBs 25s*10 warmup, 40s*10,
    50s*10 for 5 sets -focused on going real deep below parallel with shoulders and holding weight at the top in lockout

Rear Delt Macine 90*10, 130*10, 140*10, 150*8, 150*10 for 3 sets - I normally dont use this machine but I thought I could use the extra work

Calf Press 250*10 for 5 sets

Alternating Close One Leg Press L/R 90*10, 150*8 for 3 sets - I used the flat press machine instead of the 30 degree that I normally use and kept my legs and knees in very close to my body vs wide as per my normal leg press, felt good and took a lot of effort

Shrugs w/DBs 50s*10 with 10 second hold on last reps at top for 5 sets

1.5 mile treadmill 3.7mph flat angle 15 min

1/2 mile fast walk to jog

200 crunches, no squats, no pushups
    ~G~

Good job on losing the pounds, you really are going at it and the hard work will become more and more obvious with time.

One thing that might help add some weight to the machines is looking into getting some bands from EFS. Usually there should be a way to loop them on something to give you some extra tension at the top. If you have access to a chin up/dip station then I'd invest in a weight belt too and start adding weight to those exercises.

Other leg exercises to look into are single leg deadlifts, split squats, reverse lunges w/ db's, overhead lunges w/ db's, etc. Anything overhead is always fun. It sounds like you've a shoulder issue or something of concern? If that's the case, do more chest stretching and strengthen the shoulder a little bit. I've got exercises out the whazoo for whatever you need.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

In all reality, you have the bases covered from what I've seen in here. There's not much to add except what Will was suggesting; the weight belt, in particular, will really come in handy if the gyms you go to later on doesn't have one.

I know your situation, but the first thing I'd suggest is getting to an appropriate gym with a low membership rate...what you are working with is not bad though, at least for the time being. The best you can do is tons of sets and reps.

One major suggestion I have is the cardio, step that up and really get the conditioning you are after - turn the fast walks into light jogs, etc...also bike or treadmills if you have access at your place. Focus on tweaking your diet as much as possible too.
    Last edited by Coke; 01-05-2010 at 07:10 AM.

Thank you everyone for your replys

muscle_g: Thank you for the PM and ideas

WillKuenzel: I will look into getting some EFS bands and a belt. On your signature you have a link to "What is Elite?" for APF do you have a similar link you could send me for AAPF and the Raw divisions?

Cocoa: As a rule of thumb how many total reps should I look to stay around for the various major movements I am doing each day? Also in the diet and cardio department I appreciate you honestly becaue I can definitly step up the bike and treadmill time and effort on my jogs

To outline my goals better for everyone let me say that I want to continue to pick up strength ( as I still feel like a shadow of my former self ) and also slowly lose additional body fat along the way. I can make the best gains before the start of Highland Games season, which is March in Texas, becasue after that time my gym and recovery times will be altered to fit the various meet schedules. I will soon be adding back in event training once a week and will start having competitions monthly soon. I also have been thinking about doing a AAPF Raw contest in April but I am not sure about that yet. If I do it than I will also need to cut down about 20 pounds to 242.5 from where I am today but in truth I could use the reduction in weight regardless.
    ~G~

1/5

Workout:

18 min 30sec on the elliptical for 2.5 miles -cardio as requested

SMR- 1 min upper 1 min lower body

DM- Jumping Jacks to Y-Jacks to X-Jacks to Crossovers 15
    T-Circles to I-Circles 15

MA- T-Roll Pushups 10 Reverse Burpees 10, LYTP 10 each,
    Inside Crescent to Outside Crescent to Roundhouse Kick 5, 5

CNS- Plyo Pushups 2, 3, 1
    Medicine Ball Slams 5, 5

DB Rows L/R 50*5 for 5 sets

Seated Rows w/rope 150*10 for 5 sets

Lat Pull downs w/rope 150*10 for 5 sets

Good Mornings w/DB 50*10 for 3 sets

Font Squats w/DBs 100*10 for 3 sets -for got real ugly at the end

Isolation DB Curls 30*10 for 3 sets

200 crunches, no squats, no pushups
    Last edited by Geometheus; 01-06-2010 at 10:07 AM.
    ~G~

Of course, I am not an expert, but it is probably a good idea to stay with the higher reps as much as possible in your case.

The heavier you go, the more you have to do low reps and that may not be happening until later when you obtain the gym membership.

You ultimately are the one who will decide your own training style, and that will come with more time spent lifting.

Also, on the treadmill work up to max on the incline and do 3.7 for 25 minutes to equal 1.5 miles...just try that here and there. If you can manage it, do that twice per day and I guarantee results. You can always build up speed if you want to down the line for cardiovascular development. What I just outlined is for purely fat burning purposes, I came across it by experimentation a few years back.
    Last edited by Coke; 01-06-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Nice work man, I need to start doing more cardio myself.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log

1/11/2010

Hit the gym at 7am this morning and it was below 30 degrees outside. I am not sure how familiar you are with Houston but it never really gets COLD here so when I can see my breath on the warmup jog that is worth talking about.

Cocoa: Thank you for the continued support!

muscle_g: What weight do you want to be at? I am doing the cardio half to get down so if I felt competitive I could do an AAPF at 242.5 or a Light Strongman at 231 and half because I would like to see some definition and abdominals this summer.

Workout:

SMR- 1 min upper 1 min lower body

T-Circles to I-Circles 25

MA- T-Roll Pushups 10, Reverse Burpees 10, LYTPU w/5lb DBs 10 each,

CNS- Plyo Pushups 2, 2, 2

Machine Bench Press 175*10, 245*10, 265*8, 305*5, 335*5 for 4 sets, 335*9 -came back and did this last set after finishing up Farmers Walk

Leg Ext 245*10 for 7 sets

Military Press 135*10 for 3 sets, 145*6, 145*8 for 3 sets

Lat Raises: Front to Side 15lb DBs *10 for 2 sets

Farmers Walk (50lbDB+45lbDB grip in each hand equals) 190*65ft, 190*58ft, 190*44ft, 190*38ft -after slamming my knee into a stationary bike last week I was much more careful when I did this again with more weight. I also plan on bringing a tape next time and measuring off how far I am going instead of estimating with pace count.

DB Snatches L/R -skip, hit the first exercises so hard didnt have it in the tank to do this right and be explosive

Std Wall DB Curls 35*10, 40*10 for 2 sets

200 crunches, 50 squats (25 regular, 25 w/15lb DBs on shoulders), 25 pushups (20 regular, 5 w/25lb DB on back)
    ~G~

Doing great dude, on a roll.

1/12/2010

Cocoa: Thanks I needed to hear that after fighting the cold yesterday.

I have plans for some more cardio this evening since I was a bit short on time.

Workout:

.62 mile treadmill 3.7mph 2.5 degree angle 10 min

SMR- 1 min upper, 1 min lower body

T-Circles to I-Circles 25

MA- T-Roll Pushups 10, Reverse Burpees 10, LYTPU w/5lb DBs 10 each,

CNS- Plyo Pushups 2, 2, 2
    Medicine Ball Slams 10, 5

DB Rows L/R 50*5 for 5 sets

Seated Rows w/rope 150*10 for 5 sets

Boxing Drills w/DB 15s for 3 sets

Lat Pull downs w/rope -replace with Chin-ups, might still need to do them to keep up volume, thoughts?
    Chin-ups 5, 5, 4-

DB Snatches L/R 50*5 for 3 sets -had to get them in since missed yesterday and with Highland Games season coming up I need to work on this for my weight for height event.

Good Mornings w/DB 50*10 for 3 sets

Cable Crossovers 40*10, 60*10, 70*10

Std Alt DB Curls 45*8 for 3 sets

200 crunches, no squats, 25 pushups
    ~G~

1/12/2010

continued.....

Cardio:

45 min walk medium pace not sure how far

30 min aerobics tape

15 min abdominals tape

yippee ki yiah yeah
    ~G~

[QUOTEmuscle_g: What weight do you want to be at? I am doing the cardio half to get down so if I felt competitive I could do an AAPF at 242.5 or a Light Strongman at 231 and half because I would like to see some definition and abdominals this summer. [/QUOTE]

I'm just doing a little cardio for health benefits. I want to stay in the 220's.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log

Nice work in here bud. Any reason your sticking with the lower reps on the db rows? Seems like at your strength you should be tossing those 50s around pretty easily.
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate