Thread: I might have mono

I might have mono

I haven't been feeling 100% for the past month. The past few days my lymph nodes have swollen up a lot. It feels like I have golf balls in my throat. Im drinking to keep hydrated but im not very motivated to do so as every time I swallow it kills.

The doc says my spleen is also swollen... which is a clear sign. I will find out tomorrow what I have exactly but until then I have to make the best. I have been wondering why I have been unmotivated at the gym for the past few weeks. I thought I was just losing the motivation to lift in general (happens every now and then) but I guess it was just the build up from mono.

Has anyone else contracted mono around here? Did it affect your lifts very much when you got better? I know I am not suppose to lift weights just in case of my spleen rupturing.
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

^----p.i.m.p.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

I had it earlier this year, and it sucks. Mono is serious so if you do have it definitely stop lifting (and exercise of any type) until you are cleared. I pretty much had so sit on my ass for about a month and a half, and I lost a lot of weight. My lifts were not as good when I got over it, but it wasn't really that difficult to get them back to where they were supposed to be. Getting over the post-mono fatigue is the hardest part, as it lasts for months.

I lost significant weight on mono in HS.

I got mono in highschool and felt symptoms for a few days but was fine after that. Everyone responds differently... just take care of yourself man.
    Sarvamangalam!

I got it in high school and it kicked my ass, I missed over a month of school and just barely graduated.

Some mixed experiences I see... Im going to try and get over this thing as best I can.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

Just got the call... looks like im positive for mono. There goes my plans to compete in the provincials... damn it!

Mono is a huge b****, had it when I was 18 or so. I missed 2 1/2 months of work, and was out of the gym for 2 months. I tried to push through it at first, not knowing what it was or going to the doctor, which made it even worse.

I just remember my throat feeling like it was going to close up, it would literally take me 2 hours and a lot of pain to down an Opticen shake.

Just eat as much as you can, blend everything up. Don't go back into the gym until you're cleared. There's nothing you can do about it.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Listen to the guys who know their stuff and I hope everything goes well for you.

Your health is more important than ANYTHING else, to take care of yourself.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Thanks everyone. Do mono symptoms get worse over time? Because my throat kills and I'm on advil.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Thanks everyone. Do mono symptoms get worse over time? Because my throat kills and I'm on advil.
    It vaires. It lives in your body for 3 months and symptoms can last that long... so, figure out when you contracted it and you can set up a timeline. The symptoms will peak then subside anywhere on that timeline. You could feel 100% better in 2 weeks and still have it in your body for 2 months longer- which is why it is easily passed on. So, it is hard to nail things down insofar as duration of symptoms.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-30-2009 at 09:28 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Gamer/Lifter
    Don't lift, don't work out.

Friend tried to push through it and be a big man. Had his brother not been next to him he'd of diad (collapsed, almost died)
    Last edited by Nik00117; 10-30-2009 at 10:14 AM.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Unfortunately, there is really no way of knowing. I had a friend on my lacrosse team get it in highschool, I think he missed a few days of school, and obviously didn't play for the season, but apart from a swollen spleen, none of his other symptoms were too bothersome.

On the other end of the spectrum a kid in my dorm got in freshman year, and slept about 14 hours a day for a month.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Dude, your gonna get ****ed up from mono. I had it 2 years ago. I lost 30lbs in 3 weeks. In those 3 weeks the only thing I ate was 2 bowls of chicken noodle soup, some ice cubes, and some crackers. Go search the general health section. There is alot of info aobut it. I went 4 days on 2 hours of sleep because I was so ****ed up from mono. I was in so much pain I couldnt sleep or relax any muscles

Get some pain killers to help with the troat thing so you can try to get some food in you.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Water with honey in it will help sooth your throat while still helping to get in some calories.

I didn't have the prolonged exhaustive phase, but my acute stage was pretty bad. For about 3 weeks, I had a terrible sore throat with puss back there, along with some fever and general soreness. Eat as much as you can get down, drink lots of fluid and rest! I lost about 15 pounds in those 3 weeks, but regained them shortly after.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Mono sucks. Had it in 7th grade and missed half a year and took almost a year for me to be completely free of any symptoms (mainly fatigue at that point).

Eat, REST, take vitamins, drink green tea, etc

Like I said, there isn't really much you can do about it. It just has to take its course.

Just think of it this way, when you get back in the gym you'll be super rested up
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

The pain was unbearable this morning. I went to the walk in clinic and was prescribed penicillin (to prevent the onset of strep or to remove the strep that I might currently have... I will find out Monday) and a short course of prednisone for the extreme swelling. Im not getting any sleep... its bad.
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 10-31-2009 at 08:39 AM.

Come to think of it, I may have been out of school for way more than a month. I definitely remember that I lost at least 20+ lbs. And like above poster mentioned, I barely ate anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    Come to think of it, I may have been out of school for way more than a month. I definitely remember that I lost at least 20+ lbs. And like above poster mentioned, I barely ate anything either.
    Its been 5 days and ive lost 6lbs. I just ordered a pizza... I hate to eat unhealthy but I need calories some how!

Yea man... keep eating!! Milkshakes FTW!
    Sarvamangalam!

Don't lift, don't work out.