Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: GoodyGirl's Lean Mean Machine Journal

I really do not like the Smith Machine. It forces the bar to follow an unnatural path resulting in undue stress on your body. With your titanium enhanced spine, I would skip the Smith Machine and continue with what you are doing. You can keep your eye out for a gym with a power rack or squat rack too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I really do not like the Smith Machine. It forces the bar to follow an unnatural path resulting in undue stress on your body. With your titanium enhanced spine, I would skip the Smith Machine and continue with what you are doing.
    I agree Tim. I really don't like smith machines either. Never have. But forced with no other option, I guess that's all I have for now and hope the gym sees sense and buy one! Which I doubt will happen. It's a shoebox in there already and there are not enough serious trainers to probably warrant buying one. Sadly, I don't see any other way to squat heavy weights without one at the moment. I would also like to go a little heavier on those box squats but again, with no squat rack and no bigger plates, what can I do? Maybe a heavier dumbell? Might be awkward.... Any ideas anyone?
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Lean Mean Machine in progress!
    Go hard or go home!

GoodyGirl's Lean Mean Machine Journal

Buy a rack and squat at home?
    Have you tried a Trap Bar?
    Bottom position squats off saw horses?
    Front squats off some stands?

I think all these are better than the BAD BACK / SMITH MACHINE combo
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

What Tim says makes sense to me, I'm also not a fan of squatting in the smith machine (even if it means you don't squat right now). Given your back condition and my VERY limited knowledge of back conditions, I won't make comment on that haha aside from to say that pain is probably not a good thing.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Buy a rack and squat at home?
    Have you tried a Trap Bar?
    Thanks Tom, Tim and Off Road. Never used a trap bar, they would be great though! Here is my plan of attack. You're all going to laugh at me now, just do so quietly please lol. I hope you have a good laugh actually. Life is all about laughing at yourself! Yes, I am officially deserving of doofus of the year award! Ok, there is already a squat rack at home, downstairs. I never go down there really, my hubby has some gym equipment down there. A squat rack is all he ever uses for nearly all exercises. As I never really venture down there, I have pretty much forgotten about it and not even thought of using it. Silly me!!! So I will continue doing my leg work as described above in the gym including the box squats ('cause they are goooood and will add in squats at home and see how my back copes with those. I will look fwd to them! I will most likely decrease the number of sets of box squats in that case on my Leg day in the gym as they have again ripped me to shreds OH YEAH. I feel like a 10 tonne truck has run over my legs and then reversed! Once my legs have recovered from last night's beating I will do some squats at home (probably on Sat or Sun) and will promise to report back to you boys. Thanks everyone

Thursday 12th November 2009
    Cardio

10 minutes Arc Trainer Level 5 Hill Incline 175 calories
    15 minutes upright bike Intervals (2 min WU, 10 mins intervals @10 sec work, 20sec rest and 3 min cool down) 170 calories

Additional Exercise one I didn't get to do the other night
    5 sets of 10 reps on hypers @ 5kg then 10kg plates for last 4 sets

Leg Stretching
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodyGirl View Post
    You're all going to laugh at me now, ... there is already a squat rack at home, downstairs.
    HaHa HaHa HaHa
    Okay...I feel better now...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Haha should I dye my hair blonde now? That's a joke ok not meaning to offend any blondes lol
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

What else lurks in that basement you don't know about? Possibly a GHR? LMAO!

Time to get a box for box squats at home!

Hahahaha no GHR, but 1 Squat rack accounted for and have a box that will pass as useful. No excuses for me now! Only other stuff lurking is a bench and a whole load of "RUBBISH" that is being kept by hubby for whatever reason. Reasons I do not understand. Junk, junk and more friggen junk. Maybe I will just push it down one end and make some girl space. Hope you didn't laugh too hard and hurt those ribs of yours Tim

ps- I am human. Last night I enjoyed wedges, gourmet Tuscan pizza, red wine AND ice-cream. Oh, it was soooooo gooooood

And the best part, I don't feel guilty!
    Current body fat yesterday before all this food = 14.4%
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

I will not mention what dinner was tonight... aside from being very good and very filling.

You don't need to clear out any girl space, just get a mean looking henna tattoo and take over the whole basement!

Friday the 13th!!!!
    Chest and Tri's

Bench Press
    12 x 20kg
    10 x 30kg
    8 x 40kg
    6 x 45kg
    4 x 50kg (110lb), failure on 5th rep so racked, rested momentarily, then finished 5th
    same as last week, 5th set couldn't get past 4th rep

Incline DB Bench
    10 x 20lb DBs
    10 x 30lb DBs
    10 x 35lb DBs
    7 x 40lb DBs (failure on 8th attempt)
    10 x 35lb DBs

Cable Cross-Overs
    5 sets of 10 reps @ 25, 30, 35, 35, 35

Assisted Dips
    5 sets of 10 reps at assist 90, 80, 70, 60 and 70

Push Ups for Tri's fingers in
    5 sets x 10 reps

Pushdowns
    5 sets of 10 reps @ 2.5, 2.5, 2.25, 2.25 and 2.25

Plank Holds Feet on Wall
    5 sets at 23.9 seconds, 20 sec, can't remember 3rd + 4th set but between 15 and 20 seconds. Last set I worked out the best position for my elbows on the mat and held for 1:00:07 minute!!! At the end, my whole body shook until I could hold it no longer and my feet promptly slid off the wall!

See below, photo taken today Fri 13th Nov 2009. Partial abs coming

Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

13th November 2009
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Looking absolutely ripped. Awesome progress!

Thanks Tim. Getting there, for sure. About a month ago, I bought some denim shorts at the shops. I was going to wear them out a couple of weeks ago but felt they were still a little too tight and made me feel a bit uncomfortable. Yesterday I put them on and they are so baggy around my butt and legs now! People have been telling me I am even slimmer still but I didn't think so until the shorts told the story. All the hard work in the gym and with disciplined food intake is getting results, so I am pretty pleased. I looked at my drivers license yesterday too which was taken last November and Oh my God, it is revolting. Pity I have to deal with that photo for another 4 years.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Saturday 14th November 2009
    Cardio

20 mins Bike (5 min WU, 10min intervals, 3 min recovery then 2 more min at increased RPM and level 15) 222calories

10 minutes Cross-Trainer 120calories

Plank Holds feet on wall
    51 seconds, 40 seconds, 45 seconds (elbows kept slipping due to sweat)

5kg Medicine Ball Crunches x 20

Bicycle Kicks x 100

Side Crunches x 10 each side

Bathed in sweat and had enough. Off to sauna for more sweat (10minutes), shower, then home for brekky. Off to a mate's house tomorrow for lunch. Will allow myself some yummies, she is making desserts, my weakness. Will 'try' and control myself or might even try and squeeze in half an hour of cardio in the morning to justify myself lol
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

I DRANK YOUR MILK DieselWarrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodyGirl View Post
    Volume reigns supreme!
    Im a big fan of volume training, the results are undeniable!
    Andrew
    42 years old, 5'9", 245lbs, wannabeBIG with muscle!
    "If you wanna be diesel, you gotta first be a warrior!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDV_9Ys7ftc

Always listening & learnin lil' power's Avatar
    Looking good GG, awesome on the abs!
    RAW/165's/ 365-215-360-940 ttl -Elite
    Single Ply/ 165's / 450-325-380 - 1155 ttl -Pro

Good lord Alli, those abs are thick ass hell! I'M JEALOUS!! Shoulders look really full in the front quad shot too.

Thanks everyone. Goal: Fully sic abs (hehehehe fully sick maaaaate) by the end of our summer. That gives me 3 and a bit months to shake the rest of the flubber off. Can I do it?

Oh get this..... the lady in the gym yonks ago that told me I needed to stop weight training saw me doing plank holds today off the wall and asked me to teach her how to do them!!! So she did them (and did well I might add). It's the hardest I have seen her work by the way! I thought about throwing her words back at her by saying "You need to stop" LOL ... but was pleased to see her actually doing SOMETHING different. That little encounter was oddly satisfying. Maybe she might change her attitude now?
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Bought an iPhone 2 days ago and spent much of last night downloading great workout songs. Went to the gym on a mission this morning with my new toy and blasted music on my way to 760 calories burned in an hour (all before brekky!). Felt hard but very satisfying! I definitely pushed harder, especially to Thunderstruck and Eye of the Tiger!

Sunday 15th November
    Cardio

Cross Trainer 20 minutes 253 calories
    Stepper 20 minutes Level 7-8 260 calories
    Bike 20 minutes Mainly on Level 15 around about 80-95rpm 250 calories
    Plank Holds off wall 2 x 1 minutes

Not such a disciplined weekend with food, but then today I have so far only had brekky and a big lunch with 3 wines. I will eat a light dinner before bed. Considering I worked my butt off in the gym this morning, I think I'll be just fine. Going to go get stuck into some water now, haven't drunk enough.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Godamn Gigi, looking fantastic. Good work.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Thanks Tom

Kinda long day today. A hot one here and feeling a bit blah. The joys of motherhood. Anyway, back to normal today eating today, plenty of protein, not much fat and not too many carbs, good ones anyway ie fruit, wheat bran etc and loads of water. Hit the gym tonight and made it count.

Monday 16th November
    Back/Bi's and some Cardio

Assisted Chin Ups
    5 sets of 10 reps @ 100, 90, 90, 90, 90 assistance

Bicep DB Curls + Hammer Curls immediately after Curls
    5 sets of 10 reps each arm
    15lb DB's for all Hammer Curls
    15lb DB's for WU set of Curls, then 20lb DB's for last 4 sets
    Watched bi's in mirror and quietly chuffed with their progress

Chest Supported T-Bar Rows
    5 sets of 10 reps @ 20kg, 25kg, 30, 32.5 and 32.5kg

Preacher Curls
    10 sets, reps all over the shop, sorta lost count but mixed it up a bit
    1 set had 25 reps, another had 15 just 'cause I wanted to see how many I could do.
    Starting weight on ezy-bar 20lb, then up to 25lb, then back down to 20lb after around 5 sets. Each set certainly went to failure, that's for sure!!

Seated Pulley Row
    5 sets of 10 reps @ 3 plates, 4, 4, 4 and 4 plates

21's Bi's
    2 sets at 15kg BB

Bike 20 minutes 243 calories

Erectors are pretty tight tonight, feeling a bit sore. Pretty standard, nothing to worry about. Popped some codeine and some ibuprofen. Going to go and put the TENS on my back and sit down for a while once the kids go to bed. Goodnight all
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Ah the fact that you do all this while managing a household makes me feel like a wimp haha. You're doing mobility / flexibility / recovery work right Gigi?
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Ah the fact that you do all this while managing a household makes me feel like a wimp haha. You're doing mobility / flexibility / recovery work right Gigi?
    Getting to the gym is my outlet, my time away to be alone (maybe see a few gym buddies for a brief chat), get the frustrations out and then come home feeling better equipped to be a happy and more tolerant Mummy

I'm guilty of not doing enough flexibility work. I do it, but not as much as I should. I do quite a bit of stretching after my workout and utilise the chin up bar to hang from *click here, click there*. I also do specific stretches, esp. hammy's, piriformis, hip flexors etc as if these are tight, they are the root of all evil for an already damaged back. I thought about your baseball in your butt cheek Tom lol and have seen your baseball and raised you 2 cricket balls. OUCHIES!
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!