The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Keep up the good work in here!
    Squat - 450
    Bench - 325
    Dead - 570

BW - 210
    BF - 13-14%

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121686

Tuesday 17th November
    Shoulders

Seated DB Shoulder Press
    5 sets @ 25lb DB's x 10, 30lb x 10, 35lb x 8, 35lb x 7, 30lb x 10

Series of Front Plate Raises, Lateral Raises and Rear Delts
    FR: 5 sets x 10reps, 22lb plate then 4 sets @25lb plate
    LR: 5 sets x 10 reps, 10lb DB's, then 4 sets @12lb DB's
    RD: 5 sets x 15 @5lb DB's with hold on last rep

Upright Rows
    5 sets x 10 reps @15kg BB, then 4 sets @20kg BB

felt like doing some Shrugs
    5 sets x 20 reps @35lb DB's *HULKING OUT ----> WHOA!!!!*

Seated Barbell Press (smith)
    5 sets x 10 reps @20kg for 1st set then 25kg for 4 sets
    Last 2 sets failed on 7th / 8th reps etc so just paused and continued 'til I got all 10 out.

Cardio Bike 11:30min (then got called to creche to change little one's stinky nappy ewwww), then went back for another 10:00minutes about 240calories

Cricket Balls in butt cheeks and either side along erectors still wound up from back work yesterday I think..... wow, these hurt but damn, they're wicked!! Note: return 1 cricket ball to husbands trophy. Shhhhh, don't tell on me
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Lean Mean Machine in progress!
    Go hard or go home!

GoodyGirl's Lean Mean Machine Journal

Quote Originally Posted by wimarine88 View Post
    Keep up the good work in here!
    Thanks for that Cheers
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

In...if for no other reason than to be able to call you out some time in the future

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    In...if for no other reason than to be able to call you out some time in the future
    *Giggle* Fair enough! hahahaha
    So, you got caught
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Proof the BF% is dropping
    Ooooh yeah, an elusive bicep vein takes a peek around
    Hard work and strict diet is paying off
    Happy GoodyGirl

17th November '09
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Okay, Pec and shoulder veins are not something you see every-day. And you never see them on a girl, let alone a mother! You do some good work Alli.

Cricket Balls on the butt cheeks is a bit rough! Get yourself a foam roller

Wannabebig Member
    When you first started weight lifting did you start with the starting strength or did you just make your own workout up?

Stellar vascularity you've got there! The volume you do just blows my mind. You're an inspiration!
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

As promised, I did my first ever squats today in about 10 years (other than those in the smith machine the gym has, which really don't count anyway). As most of you will know, it's taken me so long to do them again due to ongoing back probs and fear of re-injury. So, today is a very big day in the GoodyGirl journal. I am posting two vid's, one set of 5 @90lb +bar and one set of 5 @100lb +bar. They were taken on my iPhone, i hope the quality is ok. I think my form is not too bad for first time free weight squats in such a long time, but I am aware it certainly needs work. I welcome all constructive criticism please. We'll see how the titanium back pulls up.

Video

Video
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Bravo...nice job.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    Okay, Pec and shoulder veins are not something you see every-day. And you never see them on a girl, let alone a mother! You do some good work Alli.

Cricket Balls on the butt cheeks is a bit rough! Get yourself a foam roller
    Never say Never!! LOL. Cricket balls hurt sooooo goooood!!! Never used a foam roller. Will have to research what to do with one. Will be stoked when I see bicep vein at rest and not when I'm trying to impress the hubby and kids (and myself)
    hahaha. Thanks Cliffy Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by poshbird View Post
    When you first started weight lifting did you start with the starting strength or did you just make your own workout
    up?
    I've never followed any specific program. Always just made up my own routine and made sure to target all muscle groups. In fact I have never looked into the SS program. I should do it to expand my knowledge. How is the start to your program coming along? Thanks for stopping by.

Quote Originally Posted by Painzer View Post
    Stellar vascularity you've got there! The volume you do just blows my mind. You're an inspiration!
    Thanks Painzer I hope the volume does not blow my mind. 1 brain haemorrhage was enough! Thanks for your kind words

Off to gym tonight to do my normal leg workout. Could be a sweat box in there tonight. Oh, and I have learned that eating boiled egg whites, prunes and wheat bran in 1 day is not so smart. Good on the way in but polluting the atmosphere severely on the way out. argh
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Thanks Off Road. I'm chuffed that I have done them! Only a few years ago, my back was so severe that I had to get my Husband to wipe my butt on the toilet. So, I thought I'd never see this day again. It's all positive now!
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodyGirl View Post
    my back was so severe that I had to get my Husband to wipe my butt on the toilet!
    I can relate...my wife used to have to bring me a pot to piss in because I couldn't get out of bed. Good times
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Call me Mark
    awesome progress girly, glad to see you doing squats even with your titanium discs.

keep up the awesome work
    Started: 6'1 300lbs
    Current: 6'1 220lbs(met and exceded!)
    Goal: 225lbs(June '10)
    My journal:http://tinyurl.com/weightjournal
    --UPDATE-- MET MY GOAL!!
    Actually met and exceeded my goal! As of May '10 I am 220lbs.

Gigi,

Squats look good Girl, glad to see you're giving them a shot . As far as critique goes, I would recommend trying for a bit more depth, as long as you can keep your back in a good position (neutral lumbar, tight thoracic).
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I can relate...my wife used to have to bring me a pot to piss in because I couldn't get out of bed. Good times
    Oh yes, the memories are not fond ones ..... but thankfully those really horrible ones are now distant memories (touch wood).

Quote Originally Posted by mweav6387 View Post
    awesome progress girly, glad to see you doing squats even with your titanium discs.

keep up the awesome work
    Thanks Mark. I know they need much more practice, I'm outta touch somewhat, but it's a start!! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    As far as critique goes, I would recommend trying for a bit more depth, as long as you can keep your back in a good position (neutral lumbar, tight thoracic).
    Thanks for that Tom. Appreciated! Yeah, hubby and I both thought the same thing. I felt at my limit at the lowest point in the squats at this early stage and not sure that I could have dropped much further without increasing the lordosis. I have no doubt I can get a little lower over time and with more practice. I will work on that.

I'm not sure if this is part fear or partly a mobility issue. I'm pretty mobile now (as opposed to how bad I'd have been if I was faced with a double fusion rather than the artificial disc option) but let's face it, the old back has spent years being abnormal, range of motion certainly still needs constant work.

Thanks all for checking out the vid's and taking the time to comment
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Wednesday 18th Nov 2009
    Legs

Squats at home.
    Played around with weights, didn't go too silly, just trying to work out how I'll go with them, or more importantly, how my back will react to them. Has been a long time since doing them in a proper rack after all and without the stability offered by the smith. Did a fair few sets. Got up to 5 reps @110lb, generally hung around 5 reps @90 and 100lb sets. Room to move. Back a bit niggly after the effort but nothing debilitating, so that's good.

Off to Gym:
    Mammoth Series of Box Squats
    ( no plate this time, this time with BB on back). No racks at gym, just relied on someone to help get the weight off my back in the last 5 sets.
    10 sets x 20 reps @ 15kg, 20kg, 25kg x 3 sets, then 30kg x last 5 sets
    *shake shake shake*

Seated Calve Raise
    5 sets x 15 reps @ 20kg, 25kg, 30kg, 35kg and 40kg (88lb)

Standing Calve Raise
    5 sets x 10 reps @ 50kg, 60kg, 70kg x 2 sets and then 50kg for last set

Leg Curls
    3 sets x 12 @50, 50 and 55

Leg Extensions
    3 sets x 12 @35, 40 and 45kg
    Each set had a lengthy hold at end. Last set I counted to 30 before I gave in to the pain and lowered the weight.

Bike 10 minutes 120calories

Plank Holds People in the gym are asking about them and trying them. Today, one of the boys wanted a go, so he managed 30 seconds. Of course I wanted to beat him! I couldn't get past my 1 minute mark though again before I slid off the wall in a screaming heap.

Legs/Glutes Stretching + naughty naughty horrible cricket balls in my butt and erectors.

A very productive day and one to surely bring a nasty amount of DOMS. A bit sore. Popped a couple of tabs....
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Ooooooh sore sore sore leggies
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

PB Bench Press Day!

Thursday 19th November 2009 ---> Much needed REST day

Friday 20th November 2009
    Chest/Tri's

Bench Press
    12 x 20kg (44lb)
    10 x 30kg (66lb)
    5 x 40kg (88lb)
    5 x 45kg (99lb)
    5 x 50kg (110lb) PB
    2 x 55kg (121lb) PB

Have failed on 5th rep at 50kg for last few weeks. Decided my number of reps in previous sets in the last few weeks were probably exhausting me, hence I was not able to be successful in the 5th rep at 50kg. So this week, I adjusted reps. Kept the 2 warm up sets the same, then lowered the work sets leading up to 50kg. Worked a treat! Felt good finally nailing that 5th rep, so I had a crack at 55kg and managed 2 full reps. Failed on 3rd attempt.

DB Incline Bench
    5 sets. 10 x 25lb, 10x35lb, 8x40lb (PB), 8 x 40lb and 10 x 35lb DB's
    First time getting 8 full reps out at 40's, every other week have failed on 8th rep.

Cable Crossovers
    5 sets x 10 reps @ 30, 35, 35, 35 and 25.

Push-Ups fingers in, off bench
    5 sets x 10 BW

Assisted Dips
    5 sets x 10 reps @ 9, 7, 8, 8 and 7 assist

Pushdowns
    5 sets x 10 reps

Glute/Back Raises off Floor
    20 reps and holds with 10kg plate on legs

Plank Holds
    1 min, another at 45 sec

Bike 15 minutes about 180 calories

Didn't do any stretching. Childminding was closing and had to rush to grab little one so they wouldn't get cranky with me. One of the blokes saw me doing 10x20 rep box squats with up to 30kg the last few weeks and decided he was going to try today as well. Hahaha the pain on his face was priceless, but he loved it!!! Good to see some others pushing themselves!
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Decided not to train today. Firstly, too hot. Secondly, legs are still sore from massive leg routine Wednesday. Took kiddies to local pool instead and did some water therapy. Nice choice! Not quite summer yet, but damn hot. Those in Sydney will confirm. In fact, other states are worse than us so I should be thankful. Tomorrow is supposed to get above 35 degrees C. No bikini yet to pool, when abs are in tip top shape I will! Not just yet. Feel like I'm losing fat still, so will keep plodding along. Actually in the best shape of my life at 32, so damn happy about that! 7 months of hard work and dedication are paying dividends.

21/11/09
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Always listening & learnin lil' power's Avatar
    Hey GG, just got a chance to watch your squat vids, pretty good form for having done only smith rack squats. Good to see the free weight squats. I agree with sitting back a little more and little more depth if the back holds up.

I can't believe you have much for BF to lose..you're looking awesome!
    RAW/165's/ 365-215-360-940 ttl -Elite
    Single Ply/ 165's / 450-325-380 - 1155 ttl -Pro

Wannabebig Member
    Dont mean to be rude like but I havent seen anything about what your eating.

Quote Originally Posted by lil' power View Post
    Hey GG, just got a chance to watch your squat vids, pretty good form for having done only smith rack squats. Good to see the free weight squats. I agree with sitting back a little more and little more depth if the back holds up.

I can't believe you have much for BF to lose..you're looking awesome!
    Thanks Vikki. I'm going to try some Goblet Squats for warm ups and really get low and loosened up. I might also try setting up a lower box in the power rack so I can get below parallel (as I think in the vid's, I'm just slightly above parallel). Maybe it might help me if I know I have something to sit back on. Someone also suggested doing some Duck unders and step overs. Can't see why these wouldn't help, so will try them too, just a couple of sets. I will video the next lot of squats and see if there's any improvement. As for the BF, I'm pretty damn happy, just getting the lower ab fat to budge after 2 kiddies is going to be the hardest part now. The vertical 17cm scar from lower back op is still adhered a little and makes the abdomen appear slightly uneven. Once to BF drops to reveal 'all' abs, I'm a very happy camper!!!! Woohoo. I WILL have abs for the first time in my life, it's all a matter of time and patience. Like the positive self talk? lol Maybe all the body fat will drop off today in this ridiculous heat. Supposed to hit over 35 degrees C here. Dunno what that is in F? about 95+ ?? It's not even summer yet! Thanks again Vikki. Always nice to hear from you. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by poshbird View Post
    Dont mean to be rude like but I havent seen anything about what your eating.
    Hey poshbird, no problem, you're not being rude. I will pull my finger out and post a normal day's eating plan and the eating plan I had when I first began 7 months ago. The plan I had then and the plan I have now are a little different, so I will outline those for you. The eating plan I initially used was the Zone Diet. You might be able to look it up. 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. Theory was that it would keep my hormonal response steady and avoid insulin spikes in the bloodstream and hence the storage of fat. I lost quite a deal of fat (13kg) using this method. My goals are different now, I want to build muscle, so I've changed my eating plan. Chat again real soon and I will outline them for you. I hope that it will help you. How is your training and eating going now? Maybe you could private message me your food intake and training program or update your journal with this info, then I can see it. Thanks for stopping by again.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Gigi you could rock a bikini now for sure, your body is in tip top shape and will only get better with all the effort you put in haha.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.