The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Subbed!

A little late to the party but I'm here =)
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Gigi you could rock a bikini now for sure, your body is in tip top shape and will only get better with all the effort you put in haha.
    Hahaha thanks for the vote of confidence Tom. Arms and legs in good enough shape, mid-section still needs work. When I have those amazing ripped abs ---> will definitely be going out to buy one and put them on display, big whopping scar and all! Make sure you let us all know how your comp went today. Hope they have air-con set up in there. 40+ in Sydney YOWWWW that's scorchin'
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Lean Mean Machine in progress!
    Go hard or go home!

GoodyGirl's Lean Mean Machine Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    Subbed!

A little late to the party but I'm here =)
    Whoa, the boy has arrived! I'm in the presence of greatness! It's the [un]HOLY one! Thanks for subbing. I plan on picking your brain on A LOT of things!!! Cheers
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Sunday 22nd November (Dead Kennedy Day)

Assisted chins
    5 sets x 10 reps
    Plate 10, 10, 9, 9, 10

Prone BB Row Set up bench on two boxes
    10 x 44 lb
    10 x 64 lb
    10 x 88 lb
    8 x 88 lb
    6 x 98 lb
    6 x 88 lb

T-Bar Chest Supported Row
    10 x 20 kg
    10 x 30 kg
    8 x 35 kg (from memory, this set & following sets are heaviest I've gone)
    5 x 37.5 kg
    5 x 40 kg

Alternating Single Arm Dumbell Curls & Hammer Curls following end of DB curls
    10 reps each arm x 15 lb
    10 x 20 lb DBs
    10 x 25lb and Hammers 10 x 15 lb (felt slight strain of outer pec...felt better after stretching)
    10 x 25lb plus hammers 10 x 20 lb
    10 x 20lb plus Hammers (5 each side x 20 lb <failure>) then (5 each side at 15 lb)

Preacher Curls
    10 x 20 lb
    6 x 30 lb set too hard
    12 x 20 lb
    10 x 20 lb 11th rep failed
    11 x 20lb fail on 12th

21s Biceps
    15kg BB x 5 sets

Hypers for lower back
    10 reps @5kg then 4 sets x 10 reps @10 kg plate

Side bends reps below are for each side
    20 x 12 lb DB
    20 x 22 lb plate
    15 x 45 lb DB

Plank hold decline
    3 1/2 mins
    I planned on doing 2 minutes. Got to 2 and decided to do 3 mins. Got to 3 and decided to tough it out for another 30 sec. Couldn't mentally push myself any further but if my life depended on it, I could have hung in longer and then crumbled. A world of pain and my shoulders were smashed too!!! A great workout for a Sunday morning! Quite pleased.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

For Poshbird
    My Current Food Intake

Firstly, the things I avoid are:
    Potatoes, Bread (I only have 1 slice a day), Rice, Pasta, Cakes, Biscuits, Lollies, Chocolate, Cheeses, Alcohol etc (damn! all the good things)
    I'm not saying I don't have these things. I just don't have them too often or if I do, I only eat small servings.

General Daily Intake:
    Brekky:
    Oats & a small amount of sultanas with skim milk (microwaved to porridge) with cinnamon and some fake sugar to sweeten. Now that our weather is getting quite hot I have been having Wheat Bran instead w/skim milk served with peaches or sliced banana. I drink a Protein shake (about 50g protein) with skim milk. Occasionally Ill also have a few nuts (cashews or macadmias)

Morning Tea:
    Half a protein bar (22.5g protein) and a small tin of creamed rice (95g tin)

Lunch:
    1 slice of toast w/some avocado or low-fat ricotta, topped with cold lean meat. I like turkey, low fat ham or chicken breast supreme 98% fat-free. It's nice with some mustard too. I also eat 100-200g low fat cottage cheese with about 100g thawed raspberries. YUM

Afternoon Tea:
    Protein Shake and fruit, maybe some nuts as well. This is sometimes before my weight session.

Dinner:
    Salad and Tuna, or fish, or chicken, or boiled eggs (not too many yolks) or other lean meat source. Or steamed vegies and protein source. Might have another serve of cottage cheese and raspberries for dessert.

Others:
    Post-workout snack: 1/2 protein bar + creamed rice.
    If I'm picky: Low cal jelly and low-fat yoghurt, fruit, strawberries, blueberries etc.
    If I've had a huge day: maybe a small shake before bed.

The other week I worked out my daily calorie intake was a little under 1700 calories. Protein was 217g, Carbs were 150 and Fat was 26.65g.

Not much changes day to day, I guess you could possibly add 200-300 calories for a big day, so all in all I don't think I would exceed 2000 calories in any given day if I'm on my best behaviour. I still have 1 night off a week for takeaway and red wine and this hasn't done me any harm so far.

I also use Fish Oil Tablets, Magnesium tabs and Apple Cider Vinegar.

The above outline is not what I began eating. It's what I'm eating now. My new goal is to increase muscle mass, now that I've lost a good deal of fat, I'm focused more of getting in adequate protein. Workouts are also more intense now, so the need for protein is important for me. I would look up the Zone Diet on the web or buy Barry Sears' book if your primary goal at the moment is fat loss. It was a brilliant food plan 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30%fat or you could work those numbers out for yourself if you know the nutrition info of the foods you are eating. It takes a while to get used to getting calculations right but after a while, you will know what you can have without time consuming measurements.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by GoodyGirl; 11-21-2009 at 07:24 PM.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

I like the Dead Kennedys
    I'm a fan of punk rock...but not punk rockers
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I like the Dead Kennedys
    I'm a fan of punk rock...but not punk rockers
    This will sound lame, but I had to google Dead Kennedys..... had never heard of them! I was referring to today as the day J.F.K was assasinated. Now i'm off to sample some Dead Kennedys music (so I can say I know who they are!)
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Monday 23rd November 2009
    Shoulders

BB Shoulder Press
    12 x 10kg (WU)
    10 x 20kg (WU)
    10 x 25kg
    8 x 30kg
    10 x 30kg (66lb)
    Got more reps out on the last set, got held up chatting btw 4th & 5th set, so longer rest than normal. Was discussing the importance of leg work with one of the boys, who avoids leg work!!!

Wicked Shoulder Series:
    Lateral Raises followed immediately by Standing DB Shoulder Press
    5 sets
    10 reps for both exercises each set x 12lb DB's (amazing how heavy 12lb DB's can feel in presses straight after doing lateral raises)
    Note: Felt stronger doing this weight on lateral Raises this week. Didn't need any cheat reps.

Front Plate Raises
    22lb plate x 10 x 1 set
    25lb plate x 10 x 4 sets

Rear Delts
    5lb DBs x 15 reps x 5 sets

Upright Rows
    20 kg BB
    5 sets x 10 reps (with 30 sec rest)

Shrugs
    25lb DB's x 15 x 1 set
    35lb DB's x 15 x 2 sets

Bike Intervals
    20 minutes - 248cal

Dinner tonight was delish! Picked up some smoked salmon at the shops.... marked down from $12 to $4!!! Got 3 packs woohoo! Had with salad. Yummo

On another note, I now consistently weigh between 74-75kg (163-165lb) so I think I have gained some mass. The lightest I got to a few weeks ago was was 72.6kg (160lb). Would have to check the exact date though.

Next workout: LEGS.
    Aim: Practice my squats in the power rack at home! Try and get lower

Night all. I need sleep and hopefully no silly tradesmen waking me up too early tomorrow morning next door with their stupid #$@!ng hammer
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

You have a power rack at home????

Jealous!!!!!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    You have a power rack at home????

Jealous!!!!!
    Yep, it's downstairs in hubby's 'dump'. It also has a chin up bar attached. Not that I'm strong enough to do many chinups at this stage. I get more done by going to the gym though (but my gym has no rack, only smith machines). Getting away from the house and the kids is more productive to my sessions. No one can call out "Mummmmmmmmy!". There is more equipment at the gym for what I need. We have a few olympic plates at home, an olympic bar, a bench, another bar and a few more smaller plates, but that's about it. It will certainly serve my purpose now that I am going to work on my squat once a week and hope the dodgy back holds up.
    Last edited by GoodyGirl; 11-23-2009 at 01:20 PM.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

My kids and wife have strict orders not to come into the garage until my workout is over...unless theirs blood involved, don't bother me
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    My kids and wife have strict orders not to come into the garage until my workout is over...unless theirs blood involved, don't bother me
    Hahaha I like that! Don't come knockin' if the gym is rockin' huh?

Problem with me is, I still hear the kids, I hear the crying, screaming, fighting etc and then can't concentrate, relax or enjoy my workout. Maybe the music is not loud enough? Thought to ponder.....
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Ok, I've had another crack at squats at home. As you are all aware, last week was my first attempt at proper squats in many years. I added a box this week. The box I used was all I could find that was a bit lower than the big heavy blocks that were downstairs already. I think that there is an improvement in depth already, albeit just a little bit lower than last week. I didn't go silly on reps or weight. The 90lb I had on the bar might be laughable to some but was heavy enough at this early stage whilst I work on technique. Next week I will try and find a box slightly lower. See what you all think anyway about this week's effort. Off to gym this afternoon to finish leg workout, some 10x20's lighter box squats maybe, leg extensions, curls, calves etc.

EDIT: Tried to embed the video but somehow it wouldn't work, so here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-agFGyFr7ro
    Last edited by GoodyGirl; 11-23-2009 at 08:44 PM.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Those are much deeper
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by GoodyGirl View Post
    Ok, I've had another crack at squats at home. As you are all aware, last week was my first attempt at proper squats in many years. I added a box this week. The box I used was all I could find that was a bit lower than the big heavy blocks that were downstairs already. I think that there is an improvement in depth already, albeit just a little bit lower than last week. I didn't go silly on reps or weight. The 90lb I had on the bar might be laughable to some but was heavy enough at this early stage whilst I work on technique. Next week I will try and find a box slightly lower. See what you all think anyway about this week's effort. Off to gym this afternoon to finish leg workout, some 10x20's lighter box squats maybe, leg extensions, curls, calves etc.

EDIT: Tried to embed the video but somehow it wouldn't work, so here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-agFGyFr7ro
    Put a plate onto your box Alli, and SIT BACK. Your sitting down into the squat, this causes you to use less hamstring and more lowerback. And its making it harder for you to hit depth, a lower box for you right now would just mean that your knees would shoot even further forward without involving more ham/glute.

I really advocated sitting onto the box too, rather than using as a depth gauge. If you want to know if your going deep enough, simply sit back as far as you can go (with-out the box) until you feel that you cannot go any lower without loosing your arch.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford Gillmore View Post
    Put a plate onto your box Alli, and SIT BACK. Your sitting down into the squat, this causes you to use less hamstring and more lowerback. And its making it harder for you to hit depth, a lower box for you right now would just mean that your knees would shoot even further forward without involving more ham/glute.

I really advocated sitting onto the box too, rather than using as a depth gauge. If you want to know if your going deep enough, simply sit back as far as you can go (with-out the box) until you feel that you cannot go any lower without loosing your arch.
    Are you saying I should sit down onto the plate/box as if I was going to sit on a chair (and stop altogether) rather than touching it to gauge my depth before rising? So, don't worry so much about the depth? The big wooden blocks at home would take me to about parallel. I could use that rather than adding a plate to the box shown in video.

Last week's first attempt at squats left my glutes and upper hammy's with a good deal of DOMS. More DOMS in glute/ham than quads. Maybe that's because my quads are better conditioned????

Thanks for the feedback Cliff and Off Road
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Tuesday 24th November 2009
    Legs

Squats
    at home, in power rack.
    Focused on getting deeper than 1st attempt week before.
    Next week I need to write down sets, reps, weights
    Didn't go heavier than 90lb + bar.
    Warmed up with 10 rep sets (Bar, 20lb, then with 50lb)
    Remaining sets, probably about 5 sets working on form (reps btw 3-5)

Gym; Night:
    Box Squats
    with BB on back (remembering no racks at gym)
    10 sets
    9 sets x 20 reps @20kg (44lb)
    1 set x 50 reps @20kg (44lb)

Leg Extensions
    5 sets x 10 reps @35, 40, 45, 50 and 50kg (110lb)
    no pain but knees were cracking, sounded horrible & didn't feel very smooth

Leg Curls
    5 sets x 10 reps @50, 55, 62.5, 62.5 and 67.5 (heaviest effort to date)

I was dared to do the following. Seated calves 6x20 and standing calves 6x20, so I obliged and then wondered why I had agreed. Silly me.

Seated Calves
    6 sets x 20 reps
    @20kg (44lb) x 1 set
    @30kg (66lb) x last 5 sets

Standing Calves
    6 sets
    50kg x 15 reps (couldn't get 20)
    40kg x 17 reps (plus 8 mini squeezes at top range of motion)
    30kg x 20 reps x 4 sets (had to drop weight to 30kg to manage 20 reps)

Calves were ready to EXPLODE

Decline Plank Hold
    Held it for 4 Minutes! PB
    It was horrendous and my anterior delts starting cramping when I finished. My right sacro-iliac joint had some pain when I finished. I challenged a fellow gym goer to try them, so we started together. He did 2 and a half minutes. I wanted to beat my 3 1/2minute effort but think I would have quit if he wasn't pushing me to hold on.

EDIT: 20 min bike. (incl. 10 min HIIT) 240cal

Rest day today (wednesday)
    Last edited by GoodyGirl; 11-24-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Thursday 26th November 2009
    Cardio/Abs

Only had a brief amount of time in the gym after dropping off the little fella to school and getting my girl to her swimming lesson, so did some cardio and some abs. Didn't have enough time to really work abs, so tried something new to see how my back would handle it. See below.

Bike HIIT 20 minutes, 240cal
    5 min warm up, 15 mins Intervals; for the most part -15 sec work @110RPM level 15, 30 sec rest @85RPM level 10. Some intervals towards end were 30 sec work, 30 sec rest and right at the end I bumped it up to Level 16 for 10-15 sec work. Sweaty sweaty sweaty.

Stepper 10 minutes
    Hill Setting
    Level 6, speed between 8.0-9.0, calories 130

Standing DB Side Crunch
    20 each side x 25lb DB

Barbell Bench Situps
    only went light to see if I could handle them
    15kg BB x 10
    15kg BB x 15
    then had to run otherwise we were going to be late.
    Saw this video posted by Jason Pegg and thought they looked cool

Video

http://www.jasonpegg.com/357/exercis...barbell-situp/
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Deep Tissue Massage Day today! Haven't had one for months! I'm desperate! Bring on the elbows and the brutality. I'm sure I'll feel much better afterwards. Can't wait!!!!
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Thursday 26th November 2009

PROGRESS: Some medialis veins beginning to appear

Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Dang you are lean Gigi... I begin my quest for a lean-ish body soon (just not fat really is what I'm after haha).

Awesome work on the veins in the legs.

Damn you for getting a deep tissue massage, I'm hankering for one.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Thanks TomBoy. I am very pleased when I see new veins appearing! hehehe ..... and as for the massage, oh it hurt soooooo gooooooood but sadly, 1 hour was just not long enough. Now I have to wait 'til the 17th Dec for my next.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Friday 27th November 2009
    Chest/Tri's

Flat Bench Press
    warmup with bar
    warmup with bar + 10kg x 12 reps
    30 kg x 10 reps
    40 kg x 8 reps
    45 kg x 6 reps
    50 kg (110lb) x 4 reps (failed on 5th again, last week was a good benching week being able to make the 5th rep, back to square 1 for now)
    40 kg x 10 reps

Incline DB Bench Press
    25lb DB's x 10 reps
    30lb DB's x 10 reps
    35lb DB's x 10 reps
    40lb DB's x 7 reps
    40lb DB's x 8 reps
    45lb DB's x 3 reps (decided to have a crack at 45's for the first time ever, could only manage 3 ---> might try them earlier in sets next week now that I know I can move them)
    40lb DB's x 8 reps

Cable Cross Overs
    5 sets of 10 reps @ 25, 30, 35, 35, 35

Assisted Dips
    5 sets of 10 reps @plate 10, 9, 7, 7, 7

Medicine Ball Throws against wall
    2kg ball. Just mucking about. 2 or 3 sets of 10-15 throws

Pushups (fingers pointed in)
    4 sets x 10 reps (didn't do 5th set, had some left elbow pain so stopped)

Didn't complete tricep exercises. Was going to do pushdowns but decided not to push left elbow pain. Went and did cardio instead.

Bike HIIT
    3 min WU, 17 min intervals 251 cal
    HR at 172bpm at end

Cross Trainer
    10 mins, level 8-11 @speeds 14-16 130 cal
    HR between 150-160ish

Stretching

A group of 3 boys training together made a comment I was not happy about referring to the size of my breasts (or lack of). As I could not be 100% certain I had actually heard correctly, I did not pursue the comment further but I'm pretty sure what I heard was what was said. I was mighty pissed off. Insecure little imbeciles. What makes some boys think it's ok to slag off a female just to impress their mates?

Have a good weekend everyone!
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Saturday 28th November
    Biceps (GUNS)

Splitting up back and biceps this week due to time constraints, next session will be back.

5 min warm-up on cross-trainer (elliptical) levels 6-10 60 calories

Dumbell Bicep Curls
    15lb DB's x 10
    20lb DB's x 10
    25lb DB's x 10 x 3 sets

Supersetted with

Hammer Curls
    15lb DB's x 10
    20lb DB's x 10 x 4 sets

BB Curls - 21s
    15kg BB
    20kg BB
    20kg BB
    20kg (44lb) BB
    25kg BB for lower 7 reps, then had ro switch back to 20kg BB

Preacher Curls
    12 x 20lb plus ez-bar
    10 x 20lb (added different collars instead of ring collars to add small amount of weight as the smallest plates were 5lb each and would have been too heavy)
    9 x 20lb fail on #10 attempt
    8 x 20lb fail on #9 attempt
    7 x 20lb fail on #8 attempt

Bike 12 min total incl. 7 HIIT

Plank Decline Hold
    My best yet!!! 4:15sec

Hypers
    15 x 5kg
    10 x 10kg x 2 sets

Making desserts today to take out tomorrow to a friend's house. My famous crunchy top apple pie, a chocolate mousse and a Banoffee Pavlova with sweet, sticky orange sauce. I'm going to have to be on my best behaviour today and not sample too much whilst preparing. Save myself for some treats tomorrow and most likely a cardio session before I go out, to lessen the guilt!!!!
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!

Saw this video a fair while ago. Now I know she's all boobs and I don't know what else she's into *giggle* lord only knows, but I thought her strength was quite impressive and wondered how many of you boys can do this? Nothing to do with my journal I know, but something to break the monotony is never a bad thing.....

Introducing Dominque Danger!

Video
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Go hard or go home!