Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sousa's Juggernaut Journal

Sousa's Juggernaut Journal

12/13/10

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Accumulation Phase - Day 1

Bench - 160x10x4/160x12

DB Incline Bench - 45x15x3

DB Row - 80x10x3 (used straps as hands and grip are fried)

Starting the Juggernaut Method today. Spent the summer losing weight and improving conditioning, then spent about a month on linear progression gaining some strength back. Also competed in my first strongman show on 12/5 and am now hooked so my training will be with strongman as a goal.

Today was a rushed session due to life stuff. I was in and out of the gym in 40 minutes, which given the volume today was pretty tough. The 4x10/1x10+ on bench was humbling. With only 160 I was expecting 15-20 reps on that last set. The goal is to leave 2-3 reps in the tank in this phase and when I got to 12 I knew I had to stop. Between short rests and the high volume I was spent.

Accessories felt good, will probably go up on DB rows next week. I'll aslo be adding sprints to my normal Monday sessions since they won't have a time constraint.
    Last edited by Paul Sousa; 12-13-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Garage Lifter
    Great way to start out Paul. With that much volume and that pace, you can almost consider it a conditioning session as well

BTW, where did you end up on the linear progression programming you were using?
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Great way to start out Paul. With that much volume and that pace, you can almost consider it a conditioning session as well

BTW, where did you end up on the linear progression programming you were using?
    Thanks! I haven't felt like that after a session since I used to do bodybuilding routines back in the day!

The program I was on was a linear progression, but the third set each session was for max reps. My last sets for each of the big lifts were:

Squat - 245x10 (went well shy of failure as I was a week out of my competition)
    Deadlift - 330x10
    Bench - 207.5x10
    Press - 147.5x9

I tested maxes between Thursday and Saturday, and not surpringly they were lower than expected. Pretty sure I was not fully recovered from the competition on the 5th.

Maxes:
    Squat - 295
    Deadlift - 405
    Bench - 285
    Press - 175

12/15/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Accumulation Phase - Day 2

Jumps - 24"x3x6

Squats - 165x10x4/165x15

Good Mornings - 95x10x3

Iso Side Holds - 2x3x10sec

Sprints - 1 x 7mph x 20sec/4 x 8mph x 20sec

Not much to write about here. Did some jumps to start, nothing serious but I really want to stay consistent with them. Squats were good, and the high volume definitely feels different. Went with good mornings as I realized my gym doesn't have a GHR (there is a really old school looking thing that might be one, but it doesn't look like any I've ever seen). For ab work I did some isometric side holds with a cable. I like the iso ab work and didn't feel like doing weighted planks after the good mornings. Finished with some sprints.

Garage Lifter
    That's a lot of squats
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

That's a lot of squats
    Yes, way more than I am used to. By the last set my legs felt spent, but in a totally different way than a heavy 5x3 makes you feel.

DOMS sucks.

12/18/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Accumulation Phase - Day 3

Press - 100x10x4/100x12

DL - 225x10x4/225x15

Superset x 2:
    Chins - Max reps (6/5)
    Stepups - 50x10 (5 each leg)

I had to cut some stuff I had planned today as I had limited time (wife's family's Christmas party today), so another high volume session in short time. Finished all my pressing in 10 minutes and that made the final set much harder than expected. DL's were surprisingly not too bad. The with only 5 minutes left I modified my accessory work into a superset and did that twice. One thing though, my grip is completely spent.

Garage Lifter
    Definitely a volume block, great job getting all that done so quickly

Definitely a volume block, great job getting all that done so quickly
    Thanks Matt! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy this week is over. I haven't done any volume like this in a long time,

12/20/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Intensification Phase - Day 1

Bench - 145x5/165x5/180x10x3

DB Incline Bench - 45x15x3

DB Row - 85x10x3

Had to get this session in during lunch today because of all the holiday madness. Doing a shopping blitz tonight to get all the presents, then doing my normal Thursday session tomorrow, and my Saturday session on Thursday since the gym is closed Friday and Saturday. With the time crunch I think I was a couple rep shorts on the last bench set, if I was able to take a few minutes between sets like normal I am sure I could ahve hit 12 reps. I'll be interested to see how next Monday goes since I will have no time constraints and also only one 10(+) rep set.

Accessory work was easier this week with the slight decrease in bench volume. Still keeping it on the low end for volume as I adapt to the program.

Can't wait for the holidays to end so I can get back to a strciter routine.

Garage Lifter
    good luck with the shortened week, looks like you still got a lot done. Excellent accessory choices as well

good luck with the shortened week, looks like you still got a lot done. Excellent accessory choices as well
    Yeah, those were my two favorites for bench when I ran 5/3/1 and made good gains. I figure I'll ride them til the wheels fall off.

12/21/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Intensification Phase - Day 2

Jumps - 28"x3x5

Squats - 150x5/170x5/185x10x2/185x15

Good Mornings - 115x10x3

Iso Side Holds - 2x3x10sec

Good session tonight. Felt good going into it. I'm liking the jumps a lot, they get me ready for squats and I miss doing them (I used to do a lot of jump work back in the day). Squats felt great and the max rep set was really good. Left a couple in the tank as advised in the e-book. Good mornings were the best they've ever felt. I realized I haven't been staying as tight as I should during them, so I fixed that and they were real strong afterwards. Iso holds were good, nothing exciting.

12/23/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Intensification Phase - Day 3

Press - 90x5/100x5/110x10x2/110x13

DL - 205x5/235x5/250x10x2/250x18

Bradford Press - 95x10x3

BB Stepups - 95x10x3

Chins - 7/6

Had a half day at work today so I got to the gym about 1. I love working out around this time. Everything felt good. Left a couple reps in the tank on press and DL. I added Bradford presses as my press accessory, I really liked them when I was running 5/3/1. I went with a BB for step ups this time and they were much better. Did a couple sets of chins and then called it a day.

Banned
    Look at whos journal I found

How is your first cycle of juggernaut treating you? I am actually rerunning the accumulation phase from 10rep wave right now...messed my back up and want to pick up where i left out with DLs next week.

I have a PL meet exactly the week after I finish a 16wk cycle...it will be interesting to see how much my numbers have improved from my last meet on Dec 5

12/27/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Realization Phase - Day 1

Bench - 135x5/165x3/185x1/195x12

Incline Bench - 135x10x3

BB Row - 185x10x3

Well, we had a blizzard in MA yesterday and pretty much everything shut down today. As a result I ended up needing to go to my mom's barn to lift today. The barn is not heated or insulated and I never really got warm. I also was alone so no spot for my max rep set. And I also had just shoveled out my two trucks about an hour before. So now that I have all my excuses out I can say I think I would have done much better on my max set had I been at th gym on a normal day with a spotter. I also changed up my accessory work based on a lack of dumbbells. Oh well, I will up my training max accordingly for my next wave. Tomorrow is squat day and I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Look at whos journal I found

How is your first cycle of juggernaut treating you? I am actually rerunning the accumulation phase from 10rep wave right now...messed my back up and want to pick up where i left out with DLs next week.

I have a PL meet exactly the week after I finish a 16wk cycle...it will be interesting to see how much my numbers have improved from my last meet on Dec 5
    So far so good, but I don't think I'll have a clear picture of it's success until at least the end of the 5's Wave. My 10's Realization for bench was a bit of a let down, but I also think it had to do a bit with the conditions I had to train in today.

I've been keeping an eye on your journal, can't wait to see how you progress with this.

Garage Lifter
    great work Paul. It'll be interesting to see the changes b/t this cycle and the last

12/29/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Realization Phase - Day 2

Jumps - 36"x2x4

Squats - 135x5/165x3/190x1/205x20

Iso Side Holds - 2x3x10secs

Very happy with today, I went in with a target of 18 reps and hit 20, and I left one or two on the shelf. My legs actually weren't tired, it was my lower back starting to have trouble keeping my back angle. As a result I also skipped Good Mornings since I need to do my DL session tomorrow (going away this weekend) and didn't want to fry ny lower back today. So a nice 50 lb. jump on my training max for the next wave.

great work Paul. It'll be interesting to see the changes b/t this cycle and the last
    Thanks Matt! So far it's somewhat as expected. My bench max was spot on so I am not too surprised with the outcome of Monday's session, and I knew my squat was very conservative so I'm also not too surprised about today's results.

12/29/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Realization Phase - Day 3

Press - 80x5/100x3/115x1/120x14

DL - 185x5/225x3/260x1/280x18

I was not feeling like training today. My training schedule during this wave has not been ideal, and this week was the worst (and of course it's the Realization phase). I had to squat yesterday, then I had an indoor soccer game last night at 10:30 and we ended up not having any subs so I played the full game which I haven't done in a long time. I was wrecked after that, Then I didn't get to bed until after midnight since I need to unwind after playing. All day today my back and hips were really tight and sore. Got to the gym and started pressing. I felt like I couldn't get tight enough in my low back and never felt really strong, The max rep set was a rep shy of my goal. Needless to say I wasn't expecting much out of my deadlifts. But as I started warming up I actually started feeling better. By the time the max rep set came I felt pretty good and I ended up hitting the number I was aiming for. My back actually feels a lot better now after this session which is a relief as I was expecting it to get worse and feel awful this whole weekend.

Garage Lifter
    that's a **** ton of reps on deadlift, great job under any circumstances.

Thanks Matt. I scrapped accessory work as well today. I am not expecting this weekend to be very restful, it's a winter retreat with the youth group from my church. I've never looked forward to a deload week as much as I am right now. My nephew is also going to start training with me next week so I'll spend plenty of time on his lifts and do the bare minimum myself.

1/3/11:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Deload Phase - Day 1

Me:
    Bench - 115x5/135x5/165x5

DB Incline Bench - 45x10x3

DB Row - 70x10x2

Dimetrios
    Bench - 45x5x2/45x17

Squat - 45x5x2/45x17

BB Curls - 35x15x2

BB Shrugs - 95x10x2/95x15

First session of 2011! My nephew Dimetrios is going to be training with me now so I am going to add his progress here as well. He's 14 and after going to the MA Strongman Championship with me in September, and then watching me compete at the Paxton Strongman last month he has set a goal to compete once he is 17. I've told him if he commits himself and trains hard that by 17 he will definitely be strong enough.

As for the session itself, I was very happy it is a deload week. I got to work late and didn't have breakfast. I got an early lunch at 11:30 and planned on getting a second lunch around 1:30 (my cafeteria closes at 2). That plan fell through when I ended up needing to give my wife my debit card when we swapped trucks at noon. I had to work til 6 so by the time I got to the gym I had a bit of a headache and was not energetic. I kept it quick though and everything was as it should have been for a deload.

Metri did well too. I am having him do John Schaeffer's linear progression program. I am starting him with just the bar for bench and squat and am going to base the initial jumps of of his max rep sets. Based on tonight I am going to increase the bench 5 lbs. and the squat 10 lbs. I'm also having him bench only for a week or two until I think he can get at least 8 reps on the press. His form was pretty good (he trained with me a bit in the summer so he is familiar with the lifts) and I need to make sure I focus on only correcting one or two bigger issues at a time. It was fun to have him there though.