Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Mutaffis Q&A

Ok,

I've been reading quite a bit about cardio now and it seems to be a "necessary evil" if you want to get shredded. Now, thanks to genetics i "easily" get lean muscle mass. Don't get me wrong i work my ass off in the gym, but i seem to get bigger faster than most people.

But ofcourse i also stack some fat, but let's say if i work my abs twice x week i seem to get more definition as well so i never really concidered cardio. I asked one of the trainers at my gym tho and he said i shouldn't do more than 15 minutes.. now in all the articles i've read (ok these are guys that have been in the busines for AGES) but they all do half an hour, an hour or even two hours ofcourse depending on if they have competitions or not..

I also just read an article about instictive training, you need to figure out what's best for your body etc..but still i was wondering..how many minutes should i do cardio? i've read it doesn't matter when you do it..just do it whenver you feel like you can handle it (after a training or something)..

i don't want that fibery shredded look, but my muscles could use a bit more tone, so i was wondering if it was possible to do this without losing any muscle mass or having to intake +more calories..i'm also planning on getting a muscle pump supplement so i was wondering if low cardio is sufficient then..

i want to improve my endurance get a little tone and not lose any muscle, also, high intensity cardio or just normal?

thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RvNijnatten View Post
    At the moment i am lifting three days a week doing OH Press, Deadlifts, Bench and Squat. Accessory work is the following:

OH Press day:
    Chin-ups 25 reps total
    Incline Dumbbell Bench 5x10
    Face Pulls 5x10
    Superset Tricep extension and barbell curl 3x10

Deadlift day:
    Deadlifts 5x10
    Good Mornings 3x10
    Weighted sit-ups 5x10

Bench day:
    Dumbbell Bench press 5x10
    T-bar row 3x10
    Barbell row 2x10
    Tricep extension 5x10

Squat day:
    Back Raises 5x10
    Front squats 3x10
    Leg Press 2x20
    Weighted sit-ups 5x10

Diet:
    My maintenance is around 3000 calories currently. I try and keep protein at 250 grams and fat around 100 grams. I take in about 250 grams of carbs
    => 3000/100/270/250

Im not quite sure what reduction in calories i should shoot for because i want to minimize muscle loss as well.

The last month i have been carb cycling with three high days, two no days and two low days. Im thinking i will have to trade a high day for a no day to allow a calorie deficit. Macro's for those days are:
    High day: 3500/100/325/200
    Low day: 3000/100/270/250
    No day: 2300/100/100/250

Hope this is enough information.
    I would actually change around some of your acessory work, and then add in cardio on your upper body days and one additional day per week (three sessions total).

RvNijnatten's 5/3/1 Re-Comp:

Template:

Monday: OH Press 5-3-1, Upper Body, Cardio
    Tuesday: Deadlift 5-3-1, Lower Body
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Bench 5-3-1, Upper Body, Cardio
    Friday: Squat 5-3-1, Lower Body
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: GPP/Conditioning

Specific Workouts:

Monday:
    OH Press - 5/3/1 Protocol
    Chins - 25 Total Reps (3-5 Sets)
    Incline DB Press - 3 Sets of 10
    Triceps Extension / BB Curl [Superset] - 3 Sets of 10
    Face Pulls - 5 Sets of 10
    Cardio - 20-30 Minutes Interval Training

Tuesday:
    Deadlift - 5/3/1 Protocol
    Rack Pulls - 2 Sets of 8
    SLDL or Good Mornings - 3 Sets of 10
    Weighted sit-ups - 5 Sets of 10

Thursday:
    Bench - 5/3/1 Protocol
    Decline Dumbbell Bench press - 3 Sets of 10
    T-bar row - 3 Sets of 10
    Barbell row - 2 Sets of 10
    Tricep extension -1 Set of 100
    Cardio - Circuit Training (3 circuits total, rest after each complex)

Friday:
    Squat - 5/3/1 Protocol
    Front Squats - 3 Sets of 10
    Leg Press - 2 Sets of 15-25
    Weighted sit-ups / Back Raises [Superset] - 5 Sets of 10

Saturday:
    DB Farmers Walk - 2 Sets of light weight for 250 feet with 3-4 turns
    Cardio - Circuit Training (5 circuits total, rest after each complex)
    Stretching - 5-10 Minutes of stretching

Cardio Circuit:
    * Jump Rope for 50 revolutions
    * One Arm DB C&P or Snatch for 15 reps/arm
    * Box Jumps for 20 reps

With regard to diet, carbohydrate cycling can be effective but I do not recommend no-carb days for someone who is looking to keep their strength levels up. You can go low carb on non-training days and moderate carb on training days (potentially one 'carb-up' per week); while focusing many of your carbohydrate meals around your workout on training days.

When you drop carbs/calories I would recommend increasing protein intake as much as possible. This will help you to hold onto muscle.

If you want to go through more specifics with regard to your diet just let me know; and perhaps post up a typical days diet so that we can go through things with a bit more detail.

Hopefully this is in line with what you were looking for. Let me know if you would like to modify the conditioning protocol or have any questions.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Tom, in regards to the program you referenced me on the top of page 6, how would you modify it to bring up a lagging chest? Add a second chest day later in the week? Add a set to some of the chest work? Any insight would be appreciated.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Wannabebig Member
    Tom, I have been doing a program like this:

Mon: Off
    Tue: Front squat 5-3-1
    Wed: Off
    Thur: Deadlift 5-3-1
    Fri: Off
    Sat: Log press 5-3-1
    Sun: Moving events(farmers, tire, yoke, sled, sandbags etc)

Problem is I am essentially training my lower body three times per week and I feel that I could have performed better during the lower body gym days (DL/FS) if I just cut it to either just the DL or FS session per week instead of having both in the same week- this is what you recommended in your strongman program article on this website. On the other hand, both my FS(290lb) and DL(480lb) are pathetically weak hence I would like to devote a full day to each lift.

My main goal is to improve performance on my lower body gym lifts and moving events, hence one upper body day should suffice.
    Last edited by Natn_25; 01-05-2010 at 05:52 PM.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Tom's suggestions
    That looks really good. Thanks for taking the time to come up with that. A couple of questions:

Would i be able to only lift 3 days a week or would 4 days a week be better. I have noticed that 4 days would be good for increased hyperthrophy, so maybe 4 days will be better to hold on to more muscle?

The circuit training, could that be anything? For example i have done a circuit before where i did dumbbell clean and press, front squats and RDL or would the one you prescribed be better fitting with the rest?

Any advise on the height of rack pulls? Im also interested in why you would suggest rack pulls over deadlifting for reps.

On bench day, it says tricep ext. 1 set of 100 reps, im just guessing that is real light weight? Could you maybe explain the idea behind it?

Farmers walk, is the 250 feet the total including 3-4 turns or will it be 4 times 250 feet for 1 set?

I can definitely use some help with diet so this is todays diet, which is a high carb day.
    Breakfast:
    0.25 cup of Oats
    1 cup of skim milk
    Half banana
    1 ON Protein Shake with water
    3 Fish oil caps
    Post Work out:
    2 scoops of gatorade with water
    1 ON Protein Shake with water
    Lunch:
    100 grams of pasta
    300 grams of Chicken Breast
    1 TSP of Pesto
    2 Large Carrots
    1 Orange
    Afternoon snack:
    2 Scoops of ON with water
    1 Apple
    Dinner:
    200 grams of chicken
    Half a cup to 1 cup of brown rice
    Mixed vegetables
    Pre bed snack
    Greek Yoghurt
    Protein shake with water (depending on protein for the day)

I like your suggestion for going with moderate and low carb days. Low carb days would not include the Post work out carbs, while keeping the rest the same. I have done quite well before on moderate to low carbs.

Thanks a lot for the help Tom!
    Last edited by LuNa; 01-06-2010 at 06:34 AM.

Wannabebig Member FalconFootball's Avatar
    Hey Tom,

I had a quick question regarding conditioning; in regards to my split i have designated days in which i will do some light cardio or high intensity depending on the following day's workout (if its heavy then i will do some light cardio, if it is more focused on hypertrophy i will do higher intensity work such at HIIT etc.). Im focused mainly on maintaining explosiveness through the growth of fast twitch fibers, but was curious that by adding in light cardio that stimulated slow twitch fibers such as jogging 5k occasionally would it be negatively impacting my goals?
    5'11
    178 lb
    Grd 12
    BF: 13%

Whatever It Takes

"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but aint nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weights"- Ronnie Coleman

Quote Originally Posted by ironwill727 View Post
    If you can I would be interested to see a strongman-focused template.

I thought about doing a 4day split with
    Sunday: Log or Axle working up to a 3-5 rep max usually
    Monday: Snatch or powe clean with some events
    Wed: Inc or Bench
    Thur: Squat or DL (heavy squats then rack pulls or Heavy Dl then some type of squat)

I see what you are saying about training each muscle group once a week as opposed to two. I have seen good results both ways. Thanks for the help.
    Here is what I would recommend:

IronWill's Strongman Template:
    Monday: Lower Body - Squat or DL Primary, Squat or DL Accessory
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: Pressing - Incline Bench / Board Press / Etc.
    Thursday: OLY Lifts, Back (Rows/Chins), Some Events
    Friday: Rest
    Sunday: OHP, Conditioning - Log / Axle (Up to 3-5RM), Light Events or Circuit Training

This program will allow you train with high intensity in each workout and should provide good all around gains.

Let me know what you think and if there is anything else that you might want to add in such as grip training, additional conditioning, etc.

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
    Breakfast: 1 cup of milk+1 scoop of nitrean powder+6 eggwhites (or 3/4 a cup)+a handful of vegetables such as carrots+1 apple. 9+22+18=49g of protein. 130+109+90+75+45= 449
    Second Meal= 1 can of tuna+apple which is 36 grams of protein and 170+75=245
    Lunch= Large Chicken salad with probably 1 breast and 3-4 servings of veggies which is probably about 30 grams of proteins and im not sure about the calories
    Snack = Roastbeef sandwich on Rye bread which is 6 ounces of beef + 2 slices of rye bread. which is around 40+5=45g of protein
    Pre Workout =2 scoops of results
    Post Workout = 2 cups of milk+2 scoops of protein powder which is 18+44=62 grams of protein
    *Sometimes if my meals before arent that good ill eat dinner with my parents, but most of the time not because they eat alot of potatoes and other carbs i dont like. Often ill also add one scoop of nitrean+one cup of water before i go to bed. Sorry for not being more detailed.
    It looks like you have a good program in place right now, though there are a couple of things that we can add.

- You have almost no fat in your diet.
    - I would not use milk for PWO.
    - Add slow digesting protein before bed.

Here is what I would recommend:

• Breakfast: One Scoop Nitrean (With Skim Milk), Oatmeal, Carrots, Apple
    • Second Meal: Can of Tuna, Almonds
    • Lunch: Large Grilled Chicken Salad, Olive Oil (dressing)
    • Afternoon Snack: Roast Beef Sandwich On Rye Bread
    • Pre-Workout: Results
    • Post-Workout: Two Scoops of Protein Powder, Oatmeal, Piece of Fruit.
    • Dinner: Some type of lean protein and low GI carbs (it is important to eat a meal 1-2 hours after training)
    • Bedtime: Fat Free Cottage Cheese, Skim Milk, or Protein Blend

Let me know what you think and we can tweak things from there if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by pigout789 View Post
    Hey Tom I'm currently on SS and i am gaining pretty well as i had just started about a month ago. My current diet is pretty much a bulk and i have 2 shakes a day. one for my second meal and one after workout. My goal is to have 200 LBM with about 10 - 12 percent BF ( alot of people want this goal Im currently at 187 with about 13 14 percent BF. I'm in this weightlifting thing because it is fun and you know i like to try to improve my physique as much as i can. So im in it with aesthetics in mind. Now my question is with those 2 shakes i have 2 cups of milk to mix in with my whey protein. 2% milk to be axact. Now i read in one of yourpost that if you have aesthetics in mind to not use milk. Should i be using water instead or does it even matter?
    Starting Strength is a demanding program and you will want all of the calories/protein that you can get, so I would keep the milk in your program.

I would change from 2% to skim, and also change some of the timing with the milk. Instead of drinking it PWO I would make your protein shake with blended oatmeal (good carbs, low fat). You can drink the milk that you would have had PWO before bed to help with recovery/mass.

Let me know if you have anything else that you would like to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by aormz View Post
    Thanks for your time and effort! If you dont mind helping me w/ a cardio program, that'd be great! . I usually Powerlift on Sun Mon Tue Thur sometime Friday if i'm feeling extra motivated, Saturday I work at a market downtown and definitely feels like a low intensity cardio all day long. So saturdays i do not train.

As far as the whole milk, I only drink organic and I usually drink that b/c of the substantial amount of CLA per serving. I guess I could just buy Tonalin CLA from the store, and not drink milk. And as the muscle milk goes, I guess I'll just break down and order a 5lb tub (not muscle milk).
    Can you give me just a bit more detail on your current split (which bodyparts or movements you are training each day)?

The Tonalin CLA would probably end up being less expensive and I think that the whole milk could be holding you back in terms of making progress. A good protein blend or even whey protein in place of the muscle milk should work well for you. This should balance out your diet and if you wanted to make the shakes a bit more tasty or add some fats back into the diet you can always add a tablespoon or two of heavy cream to your shakes.

Quote Originally Posted by PFM8241988 View Post
    Thanks for the advice Tom. I see you only do deadlifts every other week. is that because it is very stressful on the body? What do i do in place?

Also does it matter if i do legs monday and back thurs? And the superset is just one followed by the other quickly w no rest, correct? Thanks Tom.
    That is correct, I deadlift every other week to allow for recovery. You still have direct hamstring work on a weekly basis with the lower body workouts.

For the Back sessions where you are not deadlifting you can focus the extra energy and intensity on chins or rows. Usually I will do BW chins as a secondary movement after deadlifts, and then perform either weighted chins or a volume protocol (certain number of reps, cluster set, etc.) on days when they are the primary movement.

The reason for the order is that the lower body session gives your upper body a chance to rest before training arms/shoulders. Switching the order could lead to recovery problems and you would be hitting your biceps on back to back days.

Was there a particular reason why you wanted to change up the template? You could do this if you wanted to train Legs on Monday and move the Back session to later in the week:

Training Template:

Monday: Legs
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Back
    Thursday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
    Friday: Arms / Shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by Trepkos01 View Post
    Well Tom, did the first day of your workout today and I have to say I'm not really use to the volume. I did the back day.

- Chins / Weighted Chins (3 Sets)
    - One-Arm DB Rows (3 Sets of 5-10 reps)
    - Hammer Strength Row (2 Sets of 8-10 reps)
    - Close Grip Pulldown (2 Sets of 8-10 reps)
    - Wide Grip Upright Rows or High Rack Pulls (2 Sets of 10-15 reps)

I wasn't sure how much rest to take, my usual workout consist of:

- 2x Chins
    - 4x8 Pulldowns
    - 4x8 T-bar Rows
    - 3x8 DB Rows
    - 3x10 Seated Rows

16 sets total for back, with 10 sets for triceps in the same day and this usually take an hour to complete. Versus 12 sets. Roughly 12 sets a workout versus 26 sets. This might explain why I was always pretty sore the next two to three days. I finished this workout in about 40mins or so.

I think I should have probably rested a bit more, 3 minutes between sets and 3 minutes between exercises instead of usually 45secs - 1min between sets and generally no rest between exercises. This is alot slower paced then what I am use to but that may be the reason that my progress has been somewhat slacking in strength progression. I only have a few worries for tomorrow and the rest of the week should work fine.

I don't really know my place on the barbell bench, so I don't want to overestimate my strength even on a 5/3/1 without a spotter. Also we don't have a decline bench for barbell, if I was to do decline I would either have to go to the power rack or the smith machine, is it possible to do decline with dumbbells, which I do often.
    Thank you for the update.

It is going to be a bit of a transition going to this program from what you were doing before. The focus here is quality and intensity - not speed. Increased rest periods allow you to work with heavier weights which in turn will maximize your gains in power and hypertrophy.

Depending on your conditioning you can rest anywhere from 90 seconds to three minutes between sets. Usually the heaviest compound movements at the beginning of the workout require more rest and then you can speed things up toward the end with isolation and machine movements.

With regard to the bench press, I see that you mentioned that your gym has a power rack. Set the pins so that you can roll the bar onto them if you need to but they do not interfere when you bring the bar down to your chest. This way you can safely bench press and push yourself without a spotter.

For Decline press you can use dumbbells if you would like, as long as you are able to stick with the prescribed rep scheme. Another option would be to bring a bench over to the power rack, but I would not recommend the smith machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't mind seeing what you had to say about my diet also. I'm 5'11 @ 200lbs. If I had to guess my bf% I would say 12-15%. I would like to be 200lbs and 6-8%. Using the "should I bulk, or cut" article I came up with 16 calories x 200lbs = 3200 calories, 100g of fat, 275g of carbs, 300g of protein.

Here is what a typical day looks like if I lift in the morning.

Pre workout- 1 scoop Nitrean, 1 banana.
    Post workout- 1 serving of Results.
    Breakfast- 7 eggs (3 yolks) 1 cup of oatmeal, 8 oz of 1% milk.
    Snack- tuna sandwich, 1oz Almonds, 1 apple
    Lunch- chicken breast, broccoli, sweet potato, cottage cheese.
    Dinner- meat, rice, vegetables
    Before bed- cottage cheese or Nitrean with natural peanut butter.

Let me know what you think and if I should change anything. Also, I lift 4 days a week using the 5/3/1 routine.
    A modified 5/3/1 with some added volume and conditioning work is quite effective for improving body composition and building muscle. I posted a similar routine recently in this thread.

In terms of your diet everything looks good with the exception of your pre/post-workout protocol. There are a few options here, but I would make sure to consume some type of protein post-workout.

Option 1:
    Pre Workout - 1/2 Serving Results, Banana
    Post Workout - 1/2 Serving Results, Nitrean

Option 2:
    Pre Workout - Results
    Post Workout - Nitrean, Oatmeal, Banana

Option 3:
    Pre Workout - Oatmeal, Banana
    Post Workout - Nitrean, Results

Option 3:
    Pre Workout - Nitrean, Banana

Personally I would go with Option 2, but any of them would be effective.

How long have you been following that diet protocol for? Variation is important and sometimes just changing up your meal selections or throwing in a 'cheat day' can spark additional fat loss.

Thanks for the advice Tom so what youre saying is that i should drink my shake before bed? Mix milk protein powder and oatmeal for a before bed time meal? Does that taste any good ? and what do you suggest being my PWO Shake? Or should i even be drinking a shake PWO? I usually eat A cup of brown rice and Chicken after workout. but thats like an hour after i work out
    Height: 5,11
    Weight: 194 (Dieting to 9-10% BF )
    BF%: 13

The only thing wrong in this world is religon.

-Kevin

Why doesn't God heal amputees?

A modified 5/3/1 with some added volume and conditioning work is quite effective for improving body composition and building muscle. I posted a similar routine recently in this thread.

In terms of your diet everything looks good with the exception of your pre/post-workout protocol. There are a few options here, but I would make sure to consume some type of protein post-workout.

Option 1:
    Pre Workout - 1/2 Serving Results, Banana
    Post Workout - 1/2 Serving Results, Nitrean

Option 2:
    Pre Workout - Results
    Post Workout - Nitrean, Oatmeal, Banana

Option 3:
    Pre Workout - Oatmeal, Banana

Option 3:
    Pre Workout - Nitrean, Banana

Personally I would go with Option 2, but any of them would be effective.

How long have you been following that diet protocol for? Variation is important and sometimes just changing up your meal selections or throwing in a 'cheat day' can spark additional fat loss.
    My diet has always been pretty close to that, I cleaned it up more within the last few months and it seems to be working. Sunday is my cheat day but I would say at most I hit 3500 calories which I even hit on some training days if I need it.

Thanks for the pre/post workout ideas. I stay away from oatmeal pre-workout because it fills me up too much. Not sure if it matters but I eat breakfast right after my workout so I am getting the protein from the eggs. I usually start drinking the Results during my workout. If I lift in the evening I drink it pre-workout.

Here is my typical workout week...

Monday
    Squat 5/3/1
    Squat 5x10
    Leg Extensions 3x15 + 1 drop set 20+ reps
    Leg Curls or Pull Throughs 5x10
    Calf Raise 5x10

Tuesday
    OH Press 5/3/1
    Dips 50 reps
    Pull Ups 50 reps
    Side Laterals 3x12
    DB Skull Crusher 3x10

Wednesday
    Rest

Thursday
    Light Squat or Front Squat
    Dead Lift 5/3/1
    Good Mornings or DL 5x10
    Hanging Leg Raise 5x10
    Calf Raise

Friday
    Rest

Saturday
    Bench Press 5/3/1
    Incline DB Press 5x10
    DB or BB Rows 5x10
    Push Downs 3x10
    Curls 3x10

Sunday
    Rest

Can you give me just a bit more detail on your current split (which bodyparts or movements you are training each day)?

The Tonalin CLA would probably end up being less expensive and I think that the whole milk could be holding you back in terms of making progress. A good protein blend or even whey protein in place of the muscle milk should work well for you. This should balance out your diet and if you wanted to make the shakes a bit more tasty or add some fats back into the diet you can always add a tablespoon or two of heavy cream to your shakes.
    Thanks Tom, I'll just add CLA into my supps. And grab a good whey shake. Heavy cream seems like it may make me fatter than whole milk tho? hahah shows how much I know.

workouts are like this:
    Monday: BackSquat 5x10, pullups/dips superset 5 sets of 10
    Tuesday: Deadlift 5x10, press/powercleans superset 5 sets of 10
    Thursday: Bench Press 5x10, sumodeadtohighpull/rows 5sets of 10
    Friday: Weighted Pullups 5x10, dips/frontsquat 5 sets of 10

that is not including rowing 1000 meters fast as I can, and swimming about 20 laps with 20 seconds rest (after my lifting is done)

Every week I alter Max Effort between Back Squat and Deadlift, usually making loads lighter by up to 15% every other week
    -deltoids anonomous

That is correct, I deadlift every other week to allow for recovery. You still have direct hamstring work on a weekly basis with the lower body workouts.

For the Back sessions where you are not deadlifting you can focus the extra energy and intensity on chins or rows. Usually I will do BW chins as a secondary movement after deadlifts, and then perform either weighted chins or a volume protocol (certain number of reps, cluster set, etc.) on days when they are the primary movement.

The reason for the order is that the lower body session gives your upper body a chance to rest before training arms/shoulders. Switching the order could lead to recovery problems and you would be hitting your biceps on back to back days.

Was there a particular reason why you wanted to change up the template? You could do this if you wanted to train Legs on Monday and move the Back session to later in the week:

Training Template:

Monday: Legs
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Back
    Thursday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
    Friday: Arms / Shoulders

Ah nevermind i see why the order is the way it is. I just wanted to switch cause ive been doing mondays as legs for the past year+, but it will be a good mental break to switch it all up now that i think about it. I will keep the template as is. Could it be my pain in my collarbone area (ive been saying shoulder blade, but it was really collarbone) was due to max out deadlifting? I went to a sports doc he said it was trapezius strain in the muscles. so he says it will all be okay w rest and heat. So i will get back to taking it light.

Anyway the exercise(s) i was unsure how to do were: close grip v bar pulldown. and can i switch flat barbell to decline barbell, to help shoulder area?? And i dont think my gym has a hammersmith incline machine, just a basic new fancy incline machine, can i use that? Thanks tom.

Wannabebig Member
    Tom,
    Wondering if you could steer in the right direction on a few things,
    1. Could you forward me some contacts for strongman training groups, in the Tampa Bay area? I found Husle and Roman online but haven't contacted anyone yet.
    I am not looking for anything fancy just some good guys to train with.

EDIT: Tom,
    I started Starting Strength today,
    M- squats/bench/deadlift/dips
    W-squats/press/power clean/chin up
    F-squats/bench/deadlift/dips

Could you give me some tips on working in some strongman training?
    Thanks in Advance,
    Andy
    Last edited by Andy31; 01-11-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Stupid questions removed
    JOURNAL
    6'3" 324lbs 33% started lifting Oct/09

Squat-315
    Bench-275
    Deadlift-410
    and climbing...

Hey Tom i have been following this thread since it started and i gotta say it has been very informative. My maintenance cals are 3000. I have been cutting for 6 months. Currently I am on a cut taking in 2100 cals on workout days and 2000 on off days. I also carb cycle (f/c/p) high days 35/260/200 , low days 40/150/ 250 and no days 50/20/300. Starting weight was 215 and now I'm down to 185. My goal is to get to single digit bf % . Not sure where I am at now. I would say maybe 12 % ?

As for my routine I have been using wannabebig member Unholys routine of 3 days on 1 day off. It was good for a while but Im liking your routines in this thread better. In the past I have used 5x5 for major lifts and high volume for accessory work. Also I usually work each body part twice a week. It has worked well for me. I am very interested in using the 5 3 1 program even though I would say I favor the bodybuilding approach. Last week I tested out my maxes , all which are crap. Max bench 255, squat 225, mil press 155, and DL 315. Sad I know . I use to be way stronger.

So basically Tom I want a routine that will allow me to hold on to as much muscle as possible while in a calorie deficit. Who doesent right? I really like the routine you created for RvNijnatten posted below. Do you think I would benefit from something like this? Anymore info needed please let me know.Thanks in advance

RvNijnatten's 5/3/1 Re-Comp:

Template:

Monday: OH Press 5-3-1, Upper Body, Cardio
    Tuesday: Deadlift 5-3-1, Lower Body
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Bench 5-3-1, Upper Body, Cardio
    Friday: Squat 5-3-1, Lower Body
    Sunday: GPP/Conditioning

Specific Workouts:

Monday:
    OH Press - 5/3/1 Protocol
    Chins - 25 Total Reps (3-5 Sets)
    Incline DB Press - 3 Sets of 10
    Triceps Extension / BB Curl [Superset] - 3 Sets of 10
    Face Pulls - 5 Sets of 10
    Cardio - 20-30 Minutes Interval Training

Tuesday:
    Deadlift - 5/3/1 Protocol
    Rack Pulls - 2 Sets of 8
    SLDL or Good Mornings - 3 Sets of 10
    Weighted sit-ups - 5 Sets of 10

Thursday:
    Bench - 5/3/1 Protocol
    Decline Dumbbell Bench press - 3 Sets of 10
    T-bar row - 3 Sets of 10
    Barbell row - 2 Sets of 10
    Tricep extension -1 Set of 100
    Cardio - Circuit Training (3 circuits total, rest after each complex)

Friday:
    Squat - 5/3/1 Protocol
    Front Squats - 3 Sets of 10
    Leg Press - 2 Sets of 15-25
    Weighted sit-ups / Back Raises [Superset] - 5 Sets of 10

Saturday:
    DB Farmers Walk - 2 Sets of light weight for 250 feet with 3-4 turns
    Cardio - Circuit Training (5 circuits total, rest after each complex)
    Stretching - 5-10 Minutes of stretching
    Last edited by WILL006; 01-07-2010 at 02:19 PM.
    July 2005 weight....175 March 2007 weight....197
    March 2006 weight .230 February 2009 weight...200
    July 2006 weight.. ..215 May 2009................209
    September 2006.....200
    December 2006......209

Bench max .....275
    Squat max ......315
    Deadlift max......405

Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    Ok,

I've been reading quite a bit about cardio now and it seems to be a "necessary evil" if you want to get shredded. Now, thanks to genetics i "easily" get lean muscle mass. Don't get me wrong i work my ass off in the gym, but i seem to get bigger faster than most people.

But ofcourse i also stack some fat, but let's say if i work my abs twice x week i seem to get more definition as well so i never really concidered cardio. I asked one of the trainers at my gym tho and he said i shouldn't do more than 15 minutes.. now in all the articles i've read (ok these are guys that have been in the busines for AGES) but they all do half an hour, an hour or even two hours ofcourse depending on if they have competitions or not..

I also just read an article about instictive training, you need to figure out what's best for your body etc..but still i was wondering..how many minutes should i do cardio? i've read it doesn't matter when you do it..just do it whenver you feel like you can handle it (after a training or something)..

i don't want that fibery shredded look, but my muscles could use a bit more tone, so i was wondering if it was possible to do this without losing any muscle mass or having to intake +more calories..i'm also planning on getting a muscle pump supplement so i was wondering if low cardio is sufficient then..

i want to improve my endurance get a little tone and not lose any muscle, also, high intensity cardio or just normal?

thank you.
    The type of cardiovascular training is going to be the most important factor when looking at the impact that it will have on your physique. With proper diet and a good weight training program some people will only require very little (if any) cardio; whereas other individuals may need to focus a bit more on their cardiovascular or fat burning training.

When looking to improve body composition here are the top two forms of cardiovascular training:
    • HIIT / High Intensity Interval Training - Alternating between high and low intensity training, usually for intervals of 60 seconds and sessions lasting a total of 20-30 minutes.
    • LISS / Low Intensity Steady State - Low intensity cardio, usually performed for 20-60+ minutes.
    • Complexes & Circuit Training - These are a good way to improve conditioning while also adding some volume and burning fat. The concepts are a bit more difficult to work into your program but can yield great results.

There are reasons why an individual may choose one type over the other. For instance a powerlifter may prefer LISS because it does not impact strength. A bodybuilder may also choose LISS because high intensity cardio could be unhealthy for some of them (high bodyweight, high blood pressure, enlarged heart, etc.). An athlete or someone who is looking to boost their metabolism or maximize their time in the gym would probably choose HIIT.

The main thing that you should look at with cardiovascular training is your heart rate. Heart rate determines intensity and intensity determines what your body uses for fuel.

What you mentioned about 'instinctive' training is somewhat correct, although I would define it as 'individual' training. Instinctive means training when you feel like it; individual would mean that you experiment with different methods to see what works best for you.

You mentioned a 'muscle pump' supplement; what are you specifically loooking at getting?

Based on your goals your best bet may be to include some type of interval training or complexes in your regular gym work. When moderated properly this does not have an impact on muscle/strength gains.

If you would like I can help you to work in some circuits or other cardiovascular training; but would first need to see your current split. I am also curious about your diet & supplement program?
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 01-11-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pilot View Post
    Tom, in regards to the program you referenced me on the top of page 6, how would you modify it to bring up a lagging chest? Add a second chest day later in the week? Add a set to some of the chest work? Any insight would be appreciated.
    Are you interested in focusing on Chest strength or Chest hypertrophy?

Please let me know and I will customize the program from there.

Thanks Tom, ill be sure to change my diet accordingly. ive been sick for the last 4 days so ive been pretty bad on diet, and i havent done anything physical. but now that im back, for ws4sb since its

Monday upperbody max

Lowerbody dynamic

Off

Upper rep

Lower max

oFf

OFf

can i put in complexs on two of those days and HIIT on one. Will my recovery/strength suffer?

Quote Originally Posted by Natn_25 View Post
    Tom, I have been doing a program like this:

Mon: Off
    Tue: Front squat 5-3-1
    Wed: Off
    Thur: Deadlift 5-3-1
    Fri: Off
    Sat: Log press 5-3-1
    Sun: Moving events(farmers, tire, yoke, sled, sandbags etc)

Problem is I am essentially training my lower body three times per week and I feel that I could have performed better during the lower body gym days (DL/FS) if I just cut it to either just the DL or FS session per week instead of having both in the same week- this is what you recommended in your strongman program article on this website. On the other hand, both my FS(290lb) and DL(480lb) are pathetically weak hence I would like to devote a full day to each lift.

My main goal is to improve performance on my lower body gym lifts and moving events, hence one upper body day should suffice.
    There are a couple of options here, and it really depends on what you are doing in terms of event training as well as your strength/weakness with the deadlift.

In many cases a strong front squat will have carryover to deadlift, as will a lot of strongman events such as tire flip and deadlift variations. Both of your lifts appear to be somewhat proportional, although your front squat would likely be easier to build and would have more direct carryover to strongman (overhead pressing, stones, etc.).

I did recently create a log-specific program that incorporates front squat along with deadlift variations and is (3) gym days plus events. I can post it up if you are interested?

Either way please let me know what you are doing in terms of event work and where your sticking point is on the deadlift; we can formulate an effective program from there.

Are you interested in focusing on Chest strength or Chest hypertrophy?

Please let me know and I will customize the program from there.
    Specifically Hypertrophy.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

My suggestions and responses are in red.

Quote Originally Posted by RvNijnatten View Post
    That looks really good. Thanks for taking the time to come up with that. A couple of questions:

Would i be able to only lift 3 days a week or would 4 days a week be better. I have noticed that 4 days would be good for increased hyperthrophy, so maybe 4 days will be better to hold on to more muscle?

For someone with strength/hypertrophy goals I usually recommend a four day split. This will enable you to you to directly target each muscle group while still providing ample recovery which allows for intense training.

The circuit training, could that be anything? For example i have done a circuit before where i did dumbbell clean and press, front squats and RDL or would the one you prescribed be better fitting with the rest?

For the circuit training I would stick with the movements listed in the program when first starting out. Adding in compound movements like squats or deadlifts could lead to recovery problems and may not be as effective in allowing you to perform a good amount of volume. Once you have been on the program for a few weeks you can always change around the circuits (at that point your body will have adapted a bit).

Any advise on the height of rack pulls? Im also interested in why you would suggest rack pulls over deadlifting for reps.

For the height of the rack pulls I would set the pins so that the bar is just above your knees. If you are already doing a 5/3/1 program for deadlift then additional sets of standard deadlift would just be detrimental. Rack pulls allow you to overload your upper back/traps without putting stress on your low back, and will also allow you to build the top end of your pull. If you did not want to do rack pulls then you could just add an extra set of SLDL or do SLDL and GM's in the same workout.

On bench day, it says tricep ext. 1 set of 100 reps, im just guessing that is real light weight? Could you maybe explain the idea behind it?

Here is an article that goes into a bit more detail:

The Repetition Method - By Louie Simmons

Farmers walk, is the 250 feet the total including 3-4 turns or will it be 4 times 250 feet for 1 set?

The 250 feet is one complete set which will usually include 3-4 turns, but it all depends on how much space you have. Even if you have a 200' strait run you may not want to take them too far away, otherwise you will have to bring them back when you are tired. The turns also strain your grip and will make the exercise more challenging.

I can definitely use some help with diet so this is todays diet, which is a high carb day:

Breakfast:
    0.25 cup of Oats, 1 cup of skim milk, Half banana, 1 ON Protein Shake with water, 3 Fish oil caps
    I would add in additional fruit and perhaps drop the skim milk while increasing oatmeal. Have 1/3 cup oatmeal with 1 scoop protein, half banana, and an orange. Supplements: Fish Oil.

Post Work out:
    2 scoops of gatorade with water, 1 ON Protein Shake with water
    Are you taking creatine? I would go with a mix of 1 scoop dextrose and 1/4 cup oatmeal with two scoops of protein powder.

Lunch:
    100 grams of pasta, 300 grams of Chicken Breast, 1 TSP of Pesto, 2 Large Carrots, 1 Orange
    Lunch looks good, just drop the orange and add it pre-workout. Carrots have enough sugar to keep your energy levels up.

Afternoon snack:
    2 Scoops of ON with water, 1 Apple
    You may want to drop this down to (1) scoop of protein powder, you can add your skim milk from breakfast to this meal if you want to include the milk.

Dinner:
    200 grams of chicken, Half a cup to 1 cup of brown rice, Mixed vegetables
    Looks good.

Pre bed snack
    Greek Yoghurt, Protein shake with water (depending on protein for the day)
    This looks good as well.

Your diet is very low in fat so perhaps you might want to just have a protein shake with heavy cream before bed or add almonds in as a snack between dinner and bedtime or between another meal (just not pre/post workout because of the carbs).
    Let me know what you think and if there is anything else that you would like to go over regarding your routine.