The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all the help you have given me, Tom. I did the back workout today

I followed the back routine you had set for me, breaking for 2-3 minutes between sets and 2-3 minutes between exercises. The three sets of wide-grip pullups were very solid, I did two sets for 10 reps and the last set to fail on the ninth rep. This exercise posed some questions.

1) Would alternating sets based on priorities be a bad idea? Much of my experience with pullups have been neutral grip, I use to do 4x8(or failure usually) back in the summer when I had cut down to 185lbs. I was told that alternating between wide-grip overhand, close-grip underhand, and neutral grip was best for the development of a balanced back. Also the fact that my arms are weak(biceps mainly) would prioritizing underhand chinups some days be a good idea? Such as doing a set of chin-ups, then wide grip pullups, then the last set being neutral grip? Or to cater to the fatigue of my muscles, I could do wide-grip because they require the most energy and are the hardest, neutral grip comes next because they require less, and close grip underhand chins next because they require the least?

2) I noticed when doing pullups that I had a symmetrical issue in which my left lat was smaller than my right lat. This goes hand in hand with the fact that upper body-wise, most of my left muscles are smaller than my right, I am right dominance. For this reason I switched alot of exercises over to dumbbells near the beginning of Fall to iron out these issues, dumbbell rows, dumbbells curls, dumbbell shoulder press, dumbbell bench presses, I think I've had minor to little positive changes in symmetry by implementing this. Is there anything you would recommend or do you suggest I just focus on matching my arms strength for strength on each exercise and the problem should go away eventually.

3) This question goes for all of my back exercises today, I feel like my arms are actually fatiguing or tiring out way before my actual back is. Its really hard to localize where the actual fatigue originates because I've never really felt my back and chest just generally give out but on all occasions I have felt my arms unable to continue the movement despite my chest or back straining my arms to continue. For this reason I think my arms which are...right 14 1/2 - 14 3/4", left 14" - 14 1/4"(measured cold) strength-wise are the general downfall in alot of the lifts which focus on bigger muscle groups.

Workout Summary
    Dumbbell rows felt real nice, I did three sets of 10, 65-70-75, my general increase in weight with sets, using 65 as a warm and building to a top set of 75. Dumbbell rows felt really really nice, ofcourse my arms felt a good chunk of fatigue from the lift. I really want to get to where I can dumbbell row 95-100lbs for 10 reps at the same efficiency of my current workout. Next I was going to do barbell rows instead of T-bar rows because T-bar rows felt weird to me versus barbell rows which I was use to. But apparently I may have lost strength in barbell rows. I had overestimated my 2x10 at 185lbs which was the heaviest set of barbell rows that I usually did 6-8x back in mid-Fall at around 193-195lbs.

Actually barbell rows felt completely weird to me as if I had never done them. I just did 155lbs and 135lbs to get a grip on where exactly my strength was, but both weights didn't seem to spark a good response or stretch from my back. So I may need to really work on adding strength to all of my compound exercises, be it bb row or t-bar row in addition to squats and bench. Pulldowns went pretty solid as did seated rows in which I did 15 reps. I did pulldowns, close-grip underhand, and seated rows with the v-bar(close grip), not sure if you recommended me to do both exercises with the v-bar or wide-grip seated rows. I did two sets of t-bar rows at the end to get an ideal of which exercises overall felt better, t-bar rows vs. bb rows. T-bar rows ultimately won.
    I have set some goals for myself on each lift of the routine. Here they are, not sure how realistic they are. Mind you I am on a bulk and I plan to be until mid-spring or so, to which I plan to cut for the summer.

Goals
    Chest:
    Bench Press 5/3/1: 205, 225, 255
    Decline DB Press (2 sets of 5 reps) 85lbs
    Incline DB Bench Press (3 Sets of 8-10 reps): 75-85-80

Back:
    Pullups(3x15) and/or 3x10 Weighted Chins
    T-Bar Rows(2x10): 4x45lb Plates
    BB Rows(2x8-10): 205lbs

Legs:
    Squats 5/3/1: 255, 275, 315
    Leg Press(2x10): 6x45lbs each side
    No particular goal for db lunges because Im not sure what a good goal would be.

Biceps/Triceps:
    Parallel Dips(3x10): 90lb
    BB Curls(3x5-8): 115lbs
    Hammer Curls & Conc. Curls(2x8-10): 45lbs
    Not sure a good goal for overhead extensions.

Shoulders:
    Loaded Plate Shoulder Press MachineHoping to be able to do 4x45lbs on both sides for 3x10(Can currently do 3)
    Wouldn't mind being able to do 80lb dumbbell seated press or 155lb seated bb press.
    45lb Lateral Raises
    315lb shrugs/2x 100lb db shrugs

Another goal of mine would be 100lb db flat bench press which will probably only come in time for my arms and shoulders being able to support and stabilize the weight.
    So if you could give me advice on my goals and if they are realistic enough to reach in that timeline(to mid-spring). I had pretty good success with the Bill Star 5x5 Madcow program when I ran it last Winter for nine weeks. But the strength didn't transfer well over to a much higher volume 3-day split with 5x8 set-rep scheme. But I figured that 20+ sets of 8-10 reps per muscle group is quite a bit too much to take on naturally and expect good results.

Thanks for all the help, Tom.

Wannabebig Member
    Did the Chest workout today and completed it at around 45mins. The first set of the 5/3/1 felt the toughest despite being the lightest because I think my muscles weren't quite warmed up yet. Decline and Inclined DB Press were particularly easy as were db flies.

I wasn't quite sure what a cluster set was so what I did was placed a certain amount of weight on the machine and proceeded to do 25 reps with a 5-10 second pause between each rep, I eventually found myself having to decrease the weight further into the exercise.

The confusion I have comes from progressing in strength, in the traditional sense I would like to be increasing each week in strength but in some ways this becomes difficult as some weeks I am stronger than other weeks which will cause me to overestimate my goal lifts for the particular day and being unable to meet a goal on a lift hits my motivation pretty hard and places a downcast on the rest of the workout.

Tom,

I have searched for a listing of Strongman events for 2010 in Tennessee but have not had any luck. Do you know a good website that might have a listing of strongman events for Tennessee? Thanks for your help!
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FalconFootball View Post
    Hey Tom,
    I had a quick question regarding conditioning; in regards to my split i have designated days in which i will do some light cardio or high intensity depending on the following day's workout (if its heavy then i will do some light cardio, if it is more focused on hypertrophy i will do higher intensity work such at HIIT etc.). Im focused mainly on maintaining explosiveness through the growth of fast twitch fibers, but was curious that by adding in light cardio that stimulated slow twitch fibers such as jogging 5k occasionally would it be negatively impacting my goals?
    Falcon -

I would not recommend frequent jogging if you are looking to build strength; for steady state (low intensity) cardio I would walk on the treadmill at 3 mph.

Plyometrics also work well for cardio on your interval day if you are looking for something to increase your explosiveness.

Your protocol of alternating between cardio methods based on your gym training is something that I do recommend.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you would like to discuss a detailed program.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by pigout789 View Post
    Thanks for the advice Tom so what youre saying is that i should drink my shake before bed? Mix milk protein powder and oatmeal for a before bed time meal? Does that taste any good ? and what do you suggest being my PWO Shake? Or should i even be drinking a shake PWO? I usually eat A cup of brown rice and Chicken after workout. but thats like an hour after i work out
    It seems like there was a bit of confusion.

What I recommended is to eliminate the milk from your PWO shake and instead drink the milk before bed. In place of the milk I recommended adding oatmeal to your PWO shake:

- PWO = Oatmeal + Protein Powder
    - Bedtime = Skim Milk
    - PWO Meal (1 Hour After Training) = Chicken & Brown Rice

Please let me know if you have any other questions or anything else that you would ike to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by aormz View Post
    Thanks Tom, I'll just add CLA into my supps. And grab a good whey shake. Heavy cream seems like it may make me fatter than whole milk tho? hahah shows how much I know.

workouts are like this:
    Monday: BackSquat 5x10, pullups/dips superset 5 sets of 10
    Tuesday: Deadlift 5x10, press/powercleans superset 5 sets of 10
    Thursday: Bench Press 5x10, sumodeadtohighpull/rows 5sets of 10
    Friday: Weighted Pullups 5x10, dips/frontsquat 5 sets of 10

that is not including rowing 1000 meters fast as I can, and swimming about 20 laps with 20 seconds rest (after my lifting is done)

Every week I alter Max Effort between Back Squat and Deadlift, usually making loads lighter by up to 15% every other week
    Heavy cream does not have the carbohydrate/sugar content that milk has. It is an easy way to add some fats to your meals which would also slow down the digestion of protein.

Are you interested in doing cardio on your off days or only on your training days? Also, would you be interested in changing up the rowing/swimming and adding some variation? (I would recommend variation, but if you really enjoy the rowing and swimming then we can try to find a way to work around it).

Hey Tom.. I almost posted this in your journal, but figured I'd cloud it up here instead since this is a dedicated "ask me" thread..

Do you have any pointers you can give on an axle overhead press? specifically the clean part.. How do you get your hands around to a pressing grip when beginning the clean with a mixed grip?

There's a NAS meet at the end of february here I'm contemplating. http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/upcomi...UpcomingID=463

My hamsting is still pretty tight, but I've been taking it easy and will be doing a full deload at the end of this month. That will give me one month to up my conditioning on the tire and learn the stones. The tire weight is easy for me, but I haven't done my tire in so long that my conditioning is going to be way off. I'm going to focus on learning the stones over the next 2 weeks so that I can start working on reps with 300 the beginning of next month. I'll start practicing axle bar deads as the 525 off the floor will be pretty easy for me, I'm just not sure how a 500lb axle dead is going to be.

Anyways, any tips you can give on the axle clean? Any other general tips I should know about? Thanks for your help Tom!
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    The type of cardiovascular training is going to be the most important factor when looking at the impact that it will have on your physique. With proper diet and a good weight training program some people will only require very little (if any) cardio; whereas other individuals may need to focus a bit more on their cardiovascular or fat burning training.

When looking to improve body composition here are the top two forms of cardiovascular training:
    • HIIT / High Intensity Interval Training - Alternating between high and low intensity training, usually for intervals of 60 seconds and sessions lasting a total of 20-30 minutes.
    • LISS / Low Intensity Steady State - Low intensity cardio, usually performed for 20-60+ minutes.
    • Complexes & Circuit Training - These are a good way to improve conditioning while also adding some volume and burning fat. The concepts are a bit more difficult to work into your program but can yield great results.

There are reasons why an individual may choose one type over the other. For instance a powerlifter may prefer LISS because it does not impact strength. A bodybuilder may also choose LISS because high intensity cardio could be unhealthy for some of them (high bodyweight, high blood pressure, enlarged heart, etc.). An athlete or someone who is looking to boost their metabolism or maximize their time in the gym would probably choose HIIT.

The main thing that you should look at with cardiovascular training is your heart rate. Heart rate determines intensity and intensity determines what your body uses for fuel.

What you mentioned about 'instinctive' training is somewhat correct, although I would define it as 'individual' training. Instinctive means training when you feel like it; individual would mean that you experiment with different methods to see what works best for you.

You mentioned a 'muscle pump' supplement; what are you specifically loooking at getting?

Based on your goals your best bet may be to include some type of interval training or complexes in your regular gym work. When moderated properly this does not have an impact on muscle/strength gains.

If you would like I can help you to work in some circuits or other cardiovascular training; but would first need to see your current split. I am also curious about your diet & supplement program?

Well, i mostly train and eat instinctive or 'individual' as you have said. Since it's given me reasonable results concidering mass and strenght, i suppose if i were to diet i'd grow even faster. My knowledge about bodybuilding is quite good i suppose, but my training is "intermediate" in the sense that, i train heavy, but, i'm not bodybuilder material yet..you know.

I eat five or sometimes six times a day, mostly stuff with proteďn in it, but also some fat and stuff, i'm not really on a diet..maybe i should get started on one tho, i've just been to lazy to get stuf from the shop every week etc..

Right now i'm using http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/tl/hmb.html as a supplement and next month i'm probably going to start with http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/tl/nitricfuel.html

As far as my routine goes, i hit the gym 3 days a week;
    day1: back & biceps
    day2: chest & triceps
    day3: legs & shoulders

the exercises well, again, that depends on how i feel, back chest and legs get 4 or 5 diff. exercises; arms, triceps and shoulders get 3.

i was also wondering, what #sets and rep range is best for mass & strenght building: recently i've done 5x5, then i've gone over to 3x12 but with light weight focussing on time under tension and now i'm doing 4x8 heavy weights, so i'm wondering if that's good?

I also wanted to ask you this, for some reason, when i do compound movements my right side of the body always seems to grow faster than the left side..now i've implemented chin ups cuz my back really needed the extra boost, i also tried dips but the right half of my chest immediatly got "fuller" than the left..so i was wondering if it's possible to get a big chest without dips? i do squats and deadlifts but like i said, right leg bigger than the left one..but i know or at least i think i can't really get bigger without them :s some advice on this would be nice.

thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    Here is my typical workout week...

Monday
    Squat 5/3/1
    Squat 5x10
    Leg Extensions 3x15 + 1 drop set 20+ reps
    Leg Curls or Pull Throughs 5x10
    Calf Raise 5x10

Tuesday
    OH Press 5/3/1
    Dips 50 reps
    Pull Ups 50 reps
    Side Laterals 3x12
    DB Skull Crusher 3x10

Wednesday
    Rest

Thursday
    Light Squat or Front Squat
    Dead Lift 5/3/1
    Good Mornings or DL 5x10
    Hanging Leg Raise 5x10
    Calf Raise

Friday
    Rest

Saturday
    Bench Press 5/3/1
    Incline DB Press 5x10
    DB or BB Rows 5x10
    Push Downs 3x10
    Curls 3x10

Sunday
    Rest
    Your overall training program looks good.

The only thing that I would be careful of is the additional squatting that you added into Monday's workout. You might be better off hitting Squats with the 5/3/1 protocol and then moving onto some volume work with hack squats, leg press, or another compound movement. One other alternative would be to use box squats for 5/3/1 and then free squats for volume. A third method would be to abandon the 5/3/1 for that particular movement and just go with a rest-pause set or volume protocol such as 5x5 (which would meet your objectives in terms of volume/power training, without overtraining).

Let me know what you think and we can come up with a specific program from there.

Quote Originally Posted by PFM8241988 View Post
    Ah nevermind i see why the order is the way it is. I just wanted to switch cause ive been doing mondays as legs for the past year+, but it will be a good mental break to switch it all up now that i think about it. I will keep the template as is. Could it be my pain in my collarbone area (ive been saying shoulder blade, but it was really collarbone) was due to max out deadlifting? I went to a sports doc he said it was trapezius strain in the muscles. so he says it will all be okay w rest and heat. So i will get back to taking it light.

Anyway the exercise(s) i was unsure how to do were: close grip v bar pulldown. and can i switch flat barbell to decline barbell, to help shoulder area?? And i dont think my gym has a hammersmith incline machine, just a basic new fancy incline machine, can i use that? Thanks tom.
    It is definitely possible that you strained your muscle/tendon while deadlifting. Rest is usually the best remedy as long as nothing is torn.

I have attached an image which illustrates close grip pulldowns (Picture is from Fitness Atlantic).

For the incline press machine you can use whichever piece of equipment is available. I usually prefer plate loaded machines but selectorized machines will also work.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I hope that the shoulder strain gets better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Andy31 View Post
    Tom,
    Wondering if you could steer in the right direction on a few things,
    1. Could you forward me some contacts for strongman training groups, in the Tampa Bay area? I found Husle and Roman online but haven't contacted anyone yet.
    I am not looking for anything fancy just some good guys to train with.

EDIT: Tom,
    I started Starting Strength today,
    M- squats/bench/deadlift/dips
    W-squats/press/power clean/chin up
    F-squats/bench/deadlift/dips

Could you give me some tips on working in some strongman training?
    Thanks in Advance,
    Andy
    Andy,

Thank you for reaching out, I apologize that it took me a couple of days to get back to you.

You do actually have a few options when it comes to training groups in the Tampa Bay area:
    • StrengthCamp - Elliott Hulse
    • Elite Strength & Conditioning - Chandler Marchman
    • Tom Roman's House

A lot of the local guys alternate between locations and you can get in touch with each of these gentlemen through Facebook. If you would like to connect with me on there I can introduce you to them, and if you do not use that site then I can obtain their emails (just let me know).

Both Tom and Elliott have a great deal of experience and would be a great place to start for strongman training. Chandler just opened a full service gym which also includes a complete line of strongman equipment which would be convenient if you are looking for a gym membership and a place to train events.

I would not recommend Starting Strength for someone who is looking to incorporate strongman event training or improve their performance on strongman events. Do you have any goals for when you might like to compete? I can help you to come up with a customized gym training program or there are some others already in this thread from previous posts.

Please write back to let me know regarding the gym training and getting in touch with local training groups.

Tom, one thing that has always impressed me is your overhead press. I consider my overhead press to be one of my weakest lifts, and it is usually the slowest and hardest lift for me to improve. I'm pressing 180 for 5 reps at the moment.

Right now I'm following a basic westside template. After speed bench, I pick one shoulder movement and do 3 sets of 5 reps or sometimes I work up to my 5rm. Other than simple 3 sets of 5, is there anything else I can do differently to put more focus on my overhead work, and possibly improve it?

Thanks.

Your overall training program looks good.

The only thing that I would be careful of is the additional squatting that you added into Monday's workout. You might be better off hitting Squats with the 5/3/1 protocol and then moving onto some volume work with hack squats, leg press, or another compound movement. One other alternative would be to use box squats for 5/3/1 and then free squats for volume. A third method would be to abandon the 5/3/1 for that particular movement and just go with a rest-pause set or volume protocol such as 5x5 (which would meet your objectives in terms of volume/power training, without overtraining).

Let me know what you think and we can come up with a specific program from there.
    Thanks for your reply, I lift at home and just have a bench, power rack, and dumbbells so any machine like leg press is out of the question. I use Wendler's boring but big template for the squat day and the added volume seems to be helping me with strength and endurance under the bar. The 5x10 is at 65% of the training max used. Here is one of my squat workouts from this past cycle...
    70%x3, 80%x3, 90%x3 or more.
    160x3, 180x3, 205x12
    5x10 @ 145

I am not using really heavy weight so I wouldn't think that would lead to over training.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL006 View Post
    Hey Tom i have been following this thread since it started and i gotta say it has been very informative. My maintenance cals are 3000. I have been cutting for 6 months. Currently I am on a cut taking in 2100 cals on workout days and 2000 on off days. I also carb cycle (f/c/p) high days 35/260/200 , low days 40/150/ 250 and no days 50/20/300. Starting weight was 215 and now I'm down to 185. My goal is to get to single digit bf % . Not sure where I am at now. I would say maybe 12 % ?

As for my routine I have been using wannabebig member Unholys routine of 3 days on 1 day off. It was good for a while but Im liking your routines in this thread better. In the past I have used 5x5 for major lifts and high volume for accessory work. Also I usually work each body part twice a week. It has worked well for me. I am very interested in using the 5 3 1 program even though I would say I favor the bodybuilding approach. Last week I tested out my maxes , all which are crap. Max bench 255, squat 225, mil press 155, and DL 315. Sad I know . I use to be way stronger.

So basically Tom I want a routine that will allow me to hold on to as much muscle as possible while in a calorie deficit. Who doesent right? I really like the routine you created for RvNijnatten posted below. Do you think I would benefit from something like this? Anymore info needed please let me know.Thanks in advance

RvNijnatten's 5/3/1 Re-Comp:

Template:

Monday: OH Press 5-3-1, Upper Body, Cardio
    Tuesday: Deadlift 5-3-1, Lower Body
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Bench 5-3-1, Upper Body, Cardio
    Friday: Squat 5-3-1, Lower Body
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: GPP/Conditioning

Specific Workouts:

Monday:
    OH Press - 5/3/1 Protocol
    Chins - 25 Total Reps (3-5 Sets)
    Incline DB Press - 3 Sets of 10
    Triceps Extension / BB Curl [Superset] - 3 Sets of 10
    Face Pulls - 5 Sets of 10
    Cardio - 20-30 Minutes Interval Training

Tuesday:
    Deadlift - 5/3/1 Protocol
    Rack Pulls - 2 Sets of 8
    SLDL or Good Mornings - 3 Sets of 10
    Weighted sit-ups - 5 Sets of 10

Thursday:
    Bench - 5/3/1 Protocol
    Decline Dumbbell Bench press - 3 Sets of 10
    T-bar row - 3 Sets of 10
    Barbell row - 2 Sets of 10
    Tricep extension -1 Set of 100
    Cardio - Circuit Training (3 circuits total, rest after each complex)

Friday:
    Squat - 5/3/1 Protocol
    Front Squats - 3 Sets of 10
    Leg Press - 2 Sets of 15-25
    Weighted sit-ups / Back Raises [Superset] - 5 Sets of 10

Saturday:
    DB Farmers Walk - 2 Sets of light weight for 250 feet with 3-4 turns
    Cardio - Circuit Training (5 circuits total, rest after each complex)
    Stretching - 5-10 Minutes of stretching
    Will,

Thank you for reaching out.

Based on your goals I think that you could do very well with a modified 5-3-1 such as the program that I created for RvNijnatten. This program provides the strength element with the primary lifts at the beginning of each workout but also has enough volume that you should be able to maintain or even build muscle.

The only thing that you may want to do is make sure to put in conservative 'max' numbers for the 5-3-1 being that you are in a calorie deficit. The 5-3-1 is not a very aggressive progression but still could be challenging for someone who is restricting their diet.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions and definitely keep me posted on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
    Thanks Tom, ill be sure to change my diet accordingly. ive been sick for the last 4 days so ive been pretty bad on diet, and i havent done anything physical. but now that im back, for ws4sb since its

Monday upperbody max

Lowerbody dynamic

Off

Upper rep

Lower max

oFf

OFf

can i put in complexs on two of those days and HIIT on one. Will my recovery/strength suffer?
    I would not see any problem with adding complexes to the end of your volume/speed training days. You may want to try something like the gym complexes that I discussed in one of the articles last year for the lower DE day and then hit the HITT cardio at the end of the workout. If you are only doing 1-2 primary dynamic movements (band/chain/box work) then you should be fine in terms of recovery and strength gains.

Let me know if you want to get more into the specifics and if you would like I can write up something which includes the cardio (would just need your specific exercises/sets/reps from each day).

Hope this helps!

Hello Tom, like you suggested to me I would like to discuss my diet and routine with you. Right now I am 16, 5'11.5" - 6'0" tall, 157 pounds, with a last reading of 15% body fat (just a scale no clamps). A lot of the fat is at my gut. Right now my goal is to be 160 pounds. Once I reach this goal I would like to get up to the 170 pound range. Once I get to that weight I would like to tone the muscle that ive gained from gaining that weight. I do not have a squat rack at my gym, only a machine with pulleys that you can do squats on.
    Diet:

Morning Before School (6:30-7:00 a.m.)

Eggo Blueberry Waffles
    2 Creatine Capsules (out currently and about to get some of the AtLarge Creatine 500 I believe)
    Orange Juice
    Glass of Water

Lunch at School (12:45 p.m.)

Turkey Sandwich or Peanutbutter Sandwich
    Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips
    Chex Mix Chocolate Chunk Bar
    Bottle of Water, 12 ounces I believe?

After School (3:30 p.m.)

Mixed Nuts
    Protein/Weight Shake consisting of Peanut Butter, Whole Milk, and Chocolate Syrup
    Sometimes Carrots or Grapes
    2 Servings of Chicken (tenders)
    2 Caps of creatine again (like I said out currently)

On TRAINING days

Hit the gym around 6:00-6:30 P.M.
    Do not take creatine after school, take it half hour before I go to the gym
    After Gym I make my protein shake, Whole Milk with ON Hydro Whey,1serving
    After the Gym I eat my dinner, I get out of the gym around 8:30 p.m. or so

Not on Training Days

Dinner (No Oven Currently only stovetop)

Eat around 7:00 p.m.
    Eat what my mom makes which usually differs or I make more chicken with some veggies.

Before I go to bed

On non-training days I drink my protein shake
    Eat Veggies
    Drink Cranberry Juice
    Possibly Drink some more whole Milk

This diet is just a rough copy of one day, it sometimes does vary.

Work Out Routine

Monday/Wednesday/Friday Split

Monday is Arms/Shoulders/Abs. Try to get 3-5 sets of everything that is listed. My abs routine is a complex currently.

Arms and Shoulders (Work out A)

Start With warm ups/Stretching
    Bicep Curls (Machine)
    Dumbell Bicep Curls (Free Weights)
    Shoulder Press(Machine)
    Dumbell Shoulder Press(Free Weights)
    Tricept Pushdowns(Machine)
    Dips
    Push-Ups
    Possibly about to start doing Chin-Ups
    5 minute Run
    ABS Complex
    My shoulder Complex

Chest and Back (Work out B)

Start With Warm Ups and Stretching

Bench Press(Free Weights)
    Decline Press(Free Weights)
    Back Row(Machine)
    Bench Press(Machine), this is for Volume, High Reps for burn
    Dumbell Flies(Free Weights)
    Dumbell Bench Press(Free Weights)
    Dumbell Incline Press(Free Weights)
    Romanian Deadlifts(Free Weights)
    Push Ups
    My Back Complex

My Split is A B A B A B A, alternating workouts through Monday Wednesday Friday

First thing I bet you will say is, where are the legs? Well my legs are weak now but when I started working out (7th grade), they were rocks because of being a basketball heavy weight (150 pounds and short in younger years) so I didnt make a routine including, nor do I know what to include into that routine.

I have my dads genes, Tall and Skinny, which I want to break that skinny part, I have very Broad Shoulders, Chest is massive for being only a 10th grader (sophomore). I have long arms.

Goals

Get to 160-170 pounds
    Get thicker, bigger arms, just bigger everywhere.
    Once I reach these, cut down the body fat to show all the gains of course.

Now Tom, help me get big!!

Comments/Criticism

What should I change? Been lifting since 7th grade, now getting serious
    Height: 5'11.5"
    Weight: 170 pounds, 3:30 p.m. on 4/13/10

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pilot View Post
    Tom, in regards to the program you referenced me on the top of page 6, how would you modify it to bring up a lagging chest? (specifically hypertrophy)

Add a second chest day later in the week? Add a set to some of the chest work? Any insight would be appreciated.
    To specialize the program for someone who is looking to build up their chest I would make a few changes. The primary chest workout would be modified slightly and additional volume would be added on Friday. To accomodate some of this volume I would also move a portion of the biceps training over to the Back day.

Here is what the modified template would look like:

Chest-Specific Training Template:

Monday: Back / Biceps
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Chest / Shoulders / Arms

Workouts:

Back:
    - Deadlift: (2) sets of 2-5 reps
    - Chins / Assisted Chins: (3-5) sets / goal of 25 total chins, 50 for advanced.
    - T-Bar Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
    - One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15
    - Preacher Curl / Hammer Curl Superset: (2) sets

Chest:
    - Flat DB or BB Bench Press: (4) sets, 3-8 reps
    - Incline BB Press: (1) rest-pause set of 15-20+ reps, (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Decline Fly / DB Press [Superset]: (3) sets of 10 & 10
    - Pec Deck / Chest Press Machine [Superset]: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

Legs:
    - Squats: (3) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Standing Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Superset: Option 1: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    Option 2: Hack Squat / Leg Press: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

Chest, Arms, & Shoulders:
    - Decline BB Press: (4) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Incline DB Flyes: (1) sets of 10-15 reps
    - Seated DB Military Press: (2) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Dips (or) Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Barbell Curls: (4) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset: (3) sets
    - Overhead Extension / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets or 8-10 reps

**I typically perform deadlifts every other week.

As you will see the total weekly volume for Chest is now 17 sets, 19 sets if you include dips. There is a mix of power, volume, and isolation work along with some advanced bodybuilding techniques such as supersets and a rest-pause set.

I tried to maintain balance within the program and had to modify some of the biceps and shoulder work in order to do so. In some cases when you want to specialize you may have to make sacrifices in other areas but I believe that this program is well rounded.

Please let me know what you think and we can tweak things from there if necessary.

I would not see any problem with adding complexes to the end of your volume/speed training days. You may want to try something like the gym complexes that I discussed in one of the articles last year for the lower DE day and then hit the HITT cardio at the end of the workout. If you are only doing 1-2 primary dynamic movements (band/chain/box work) then you should be fine in terms of recovery and strength gains.

Let me know if you want to get more into the specifics and if you would like I can write up something which includes the cardio (would just need your specific exercises/sets/reps from each day).

Hope this helps!
    Thanks Tom, ill see how it is on tuesday. Im gonna need some more help soon, next semester starts soon and personal fitness comes with it (periods are an hour and 15 minutes here in canada). Basically the whole class is dedicated to increasing your "personal fitness scores". im gonna need something to increase my sit ups in a minute, 12 minute run, bench press, push ups, chin ups, sit and reach and some other stuff. Some of these are obvious, and i can just keep what im doing or modify WS4SB a little bit.but others i dont understand so much How often would you train the 12 minute run and sit ups? would you train it by just doing it, or would you add in some variation (varying running time and different sit up exercises). How would i train my chin ups without buying a band (considering i cant even do one). Losing weight will help, but besides that?

Tom i have a friend who is 5.8 and 125 pounds, who is fast and wants to play football, but he is just to goddamn skinny. My advice so far has been to eat pretty much everything in sight and to try to get alot of good lean protein. Is this good advice for someone looking to play football? I guess ill see how his fat is and then change his diet accordingly.

Since your post is quite long I am going to comment after each paragraph and then post a summary at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Trepkos01 View Post

Thanks for all the help you have given me, Tom. I did the back workout today

I followed the back routine you had set for me, breaking for 2-3 minutes between sets and 2-3 minutes between exercises. The three sets of wide-grip pullups were very solid, I did two sets for 10 reps and the last set to fail on the ninth rep. This exercise posed some questions.

Rest periods should be based on the specific exercises and intensity. You should not be looking at a stopwatch but instead getting the most out of each set and then resting as much as needed so that you can put in another quality set. For conditioning there are times when you may want to purposely limit your rest periods but in general your training should be more instinctive and less calculated.

1) Would alternating sets based on priorities be a bad idea? Much of my experience with pullups have been neutral grip, I use to do 4x8(or failure usually) back in the summer when I had cut down to 185lbs. I was told that alternating between wide-grip overhand, close-grip underhand, and neutral grip was best for the development of a balanced back. Also the fact that my arms are weak(biceps mainly) would prioritizing underhand chinups some days be a good idea? Such as doing a set of chin-ups, then wide grip pullups, then the last set being neutral grip? Or to cater to the fatigue of my muscles, I could do wide-grip because they require the most energy and are the hardest, neutral grip comes next because they require less, and close grip underhand chins next because they require the least?

The answer to this question really depends on your goals. In your case it sounds like alternating movements would cause your biceps to fail before your back is fatigued which would be selling you short of back development. There are other ways to prioritize biceps strength without having to sacrifice your Back training; but if you are pressed to for time then sometimes alternating is the most simple solution. One very easy solution to some of what you have described would be to simply add straps into your training. Straps will allow you to focus on perfect form without having to worry as much about your arms/grip being fatigued.

Since you are looking for a specific solution, my advice would be to start off with back-focused training to failure and then you can finish off with underhand chins or other biceps-intensive movements. The overload on your biceps from heavy back training will only force them to get stronger and focusing your workout on biceps-intensive movements would limit your Back development.

2) I noticed when doing pullups that I had a symmetrical issue in which my left lat was smaller than my right lat. This goes hand in hand with the fact that upper body-wise, most of my left muscles are smaller than my right, I am right dominance. For this reason I switched alot of exercises over to dumbbells near the beginning of Fall to iron out these issues, dumbbell rows, dumbbells curls, dumbbell shoulder press, dumbbell bench presses, I think I've had minor to little positive changes in symmetry by implementing this. Is there anything you would recommend or do you suggest I just focus on matching my arms strength for strength on each exercise and the problem should go away eventually.

Usually imbalances will correct themselves as long as there is not a physical issue of some sort that is causing them. If you are at the point where your arms are not the same strength then that will correct itself over time and the size of the muscles will balance out shortly thereafter. Most individuals have some imbalances when they are starting out with weight training.

3) This question goes for all of my back exercises today, I feel like my arms are actually fatiguing or tiring out way before my actual back is. Its really hard to localize where the actual fatigue originates because I've never really felt my back and chest just generally give out but on all occasions I have felt my arms unable to continue the movement despite my chest or back straining my arms to continue. For this reason I think my arms which are...right 14 1/2 - 14 3/4", left 14" - 14 1/4"(measured cold) strength-wise are the general downfall in alot of the lifts which focus on bigger muscle groups.

I touched on this in the response to the first question but I would add in lifting straps and focus on perfect form. From everything that you are saying it sounds like you are at the 'Beginner' level when it comes to weight training and imbalances like this are not uncommon. My advice would be to do your best, train hard, and these things should correct themselves.

When people first start lifting it is not uncommon to see a guy who might be able to curl the same weight that he bench press, but after someone has been training for a fair amount of time usually their bench press strength is almost double their curling strength. Some muscles are developed in everyday life and each individual has different leverages and strengths. Consistent weight training will balance out your physique.

Workout Summary

Quote:
    Dumbbell rows felt real nice, I did three sets of 10, 65-70-75, my general increase in weight with sets, using 65 as a warm and building to a top set of 75. Dumbbell rows felt really really nice, ofcourse my arms felt a good chunk of fatigue from the lift. I really want to get to where I can dumbbell row 95-100lbs for 10 reps at the same efficiency of my current workout. Next I was going to do barbell rows instead of T-bar rows because T-bar rows felt weird to me versus barbell rows which I was use to. But apparently I may have lost strength in barbell rows. I had overestimated my 2x10 at 185lbs which was the heaviest set of barbell rows that I usually did 6-8x back in mid-Fall at around 193-195lbs.

Actually barbell rows felt completely weird to me as if I had never done them. I just did 155lbs and 135lbs to get a grip on where exactly my strength was, but both weights didn't seem to spark a good response or stretch from my back. So I may need to really work on adding strength to all of my compound exercises, be it bb row or t-bar row in addition to squats and bench. Pulldowns went pretty solid as did seated rows in which I did 15 reps. I did pulldowns, close-grip underhand, and seated rows with the v-bar(close grip), not sure if you recommended me to do both exercises with the v-bar or wide-grip seated rows. I did two sets of t-bar rows at the end to get an ideal of which exercises overall felt better, t-bar rows vs. bb rows. T-bar rows ultimately won.

I have set some goals for myself on each lift of the routine. Here they are, not sure how realistic they are. Mind you I am on a bulk and I plan to be until mid-spring or so, to which I plan to cut for the summer.

Goals

Quote:
    Chest:
    Bench Press 5/3/1: 205, 225, 255
    Decline DB Press (2 sets of 5 reps) 85lbs
    Incline DB Bench Press (3 Sets of 8-10 reps): 75-85-80

Back:
    Pullups(3x15) and/or 3x10 Weighted Chins
    T-Bar Rows(2x10): 4x45lb Plates
    BB Rows(2x8-10): 205lbs

Legs:
    Squats 5/3/1: 255, 275, 315
    Leg Press(2x10): 6x45lbs each side
    No particular goal for db lunges because Im not sure what a good goal would be.

Biceps/Triceps:
    Parallel Dips(3x10): 90lb
    BB Curls(3x5-8): 115lbs
    Hammer Curls & Conc. Curls(2x8-10): 45lbs
    Not sure a good goal for overhead extensions.

Shoulders:
    Loaded Plate Shoulder Press MachineHoping to be able to do 4x45lbs on both sides for 3x10(Can currently do 3)
    Wouldn't mind being able to do 80lb dumbbell seated press or 155lb seated bb press.
    45lb Lateral Raises
    315lb shrugs/2x 100lb db shrugs

Another goal of mine would be 100lb db flat bench press which will probably only come in time for my arms and shoulders being able to support and stabilize the weight.

So if you could give me advice on my goals and if they are realistic enough to reach in that timeline(to mid-spring). I had pretty good success with the Bill Star 5x5 Madcow program when I ran it last Winter for nine weeks. But the strength didn't transfer well over to a much higher volume 3-day split with 5x8 set-rep scheme. But I figured that 20+ sets of 8-10 reps per muscle group is quite a bit too much to take on naturally and expect good results.

I would need a better idea of where you are now in terms of strength and bodyweight in order to make a fair assessment of the goals that you posted.

----------------------------------

Did the Chest workout today and completed it at around 45mins. The first set of the 5/3/1 felt the toughest despite being the lightest because I think my muscles weren't quite warmed up yet. Decline and Inclined DB Press were particularly easy as were db flies.

In a way this makes me worry. Going back to some of the posts above, if exercises are "easy" then that means that you may not be getting the most out of them. Each set should be challenging and you should remain focused throughout your entire workout. When I train my first set is sometimes just as hard as the last set, even though the weights on the final set may be substantially less.

Here is how I set up my workouts:
    Beginning - Challenging my overall strength and power (How much weight can I lift?).
    Middle - Challenging my conditioning and strength endurance (How quickly can I recover and lift more heavy weight).
    End - Challenging my conditioning and ability to handle volume (How many sets can I perform until I am completely fatigued).

**An advanced lifter will reach failure before a beginner lifter in terms of overall volume, but the total amount of weight lifted will be comperable in many cases and it also greatly depends on the goals of the particular trainee. This does not mean that you always have to train to absolute failure, but every set should be challenging.

I just want to make sure that you are getting the most out of your training. I can see that you really care about making improvements and you obviously are putting a lot of thought into coming up with an effective program; but without the proper intensity even the best program will not yield results.

I wasn't quite sure what a cluster set was so what I did was placed a certain amount of weight on the machine and proceeded to do 25 reps with a 5-10 second pause between each rep, I eventually found myself having to decrease the weight further into the exercise.

A cluster is similar to a rest-pause, it is basically performing small "clusters" of reps with designated rest periods. An example would be loading the bar with your 10-rep max and then performing (5) sets of (3) with 30 seconds rest between sets. The first few sets would obviously be quite easy and then as you get to the end of the cluster things would become challenging. Rest-Pause sets (DC Training) are similar in that you work to failure then take a breather and continue the set, and then one more breather before finishing the set.

The confusion I have comes from progressing in strength, in the traditional sense I would like to be increasing each week in strength but in some ways this becomes difficult as some weeks I am stronger than other weeks which will cause me to overestimate my goal lifts for the particular day and being unable to meet a goal on a lift hits my motivation pretty hard and places a downcast on the rest of the workout.

When it comes to adding weight to the bar, you need to push yourself in each workout but also be honest with yourself in terms of what you can do on that specific day. If you are feeling strong, load the bar. If you are a bit tired then perhaps trying to tie a previous PR or just focusing on volume/rep quality would be in your best interest. The key is to listen to your body and always get the most out of your training session. Missed lifts and forced progression programs only lead to discouragement and in some cases even injury.

There are some conservative programs like the 5/3/1 which do work quite well for a lot of people, although each individual needs to find what works the best for them.
    I hope that this is helpful. It sounds like you have done a lot of research but sometimes that can be overwhelming and lead to confusion rather than progression. Trying to achieve everything at once may leave you achieving nothing; and so I would just prioritize your goals, experiment with different techniques, focus on quality/intensity, and keep working hard in the gym and with your eating.

Let me know about your goals for the spring and I would be happy to go over them with you.

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    Tom,

I have searched for a listing of Strongman events for 2010 in Tennessee but have not had any luck. Do you know a good website that might have a listing of strongman events for Tennessee? Thanks for your help!
    There are not very many contests in Tennessee; I believe last year there may have been two or three.

All sanctioned events will be posted on the NAS website although sometimes they are not posted until a couple of months before the event:
    www.nastrongmaninc.com

I do know of a couple of competitors who live in TN and can reach out to them to see if they know of anything. Your best bet may be to travel though as there are some great events in the South Atlantic.

Was there a specific timeframe that you were looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    Hey Tom.. I almost posted this in your journal, but figured I'd cloud it up here instead since this is a dedicated "ask me" thread..

Do you have any pointers you can give on an axle overhead press? specifically the clean part.. How do you get your hands around to a pressing grip when beginning the clean with a mixed grip?

There's a NAS meet at the end of february here I'm contemplating. http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/upcomi...UpcomingID=463

My hamsting is still pretty tight, but I've been taking it easy and will be doing a full deload at the end of this month. That will give me one month to up my conditioning on the tire and learn the stones. The tire weight is easy for me, but I haven't done my tire in so long that my conditioning is going to be way off. I'm going to focus on learning the stones over the next 2 weeks so that I can start working on reps with 300 the beginning of next month. I'll start practicing axle bar deads as the 525 off the floor will be pretty easy for me, I'm just not sure how a 500lb axle dead is going to be.

Anyways, any tips you can give on the axle clean? Any other general tips I should know about? Thanks for your help Tom!
    Jake -

I think that a strongman contest would be a fun change of pace for you and a good way to break up your powerlifting training.

The best way to clean an axle if you cannot power clean it would be the continental clean. This method involves bringing the axle from the floor up to your belly and then cleaning it to your chest (2-3 part movement).

Here are a few videos that demonstrate the continental clean:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvb_uMvFPMo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VO2tJ_5ibU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-eBCpWg0UQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7e8XqaS8ik

Here is another one where the athlete pauses for a minute as he switches his hand over:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zci2JBzHca0

You can also search on Youtube and look up videos of Rob Orlando, he has good technique with the continental and has cleaned 385 lbs as a LW.

We can definitely go over your training program as you prepare for the contest; just drop me a line.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all the help, Tom.

To correct any confusion, when I mean easy doesn't necessarily mean that the lift is actually easy but more-so that it isn't so difficult that the risk of failure is very high. The exercise is difficult enough that my focus is completely on moving the weight and contracting the muscles. Easy in most cases means that I can complete the full reps of the set without going to failure.

Here is an idea of my current strength based on the exercises that you have listed in the program so you can gain a better assessment on the credibility of my goals.

Back:
    - 3x10 Wide Grip Pullups(Generally the last set is most difficult usually failing on the nineth or tenth rep.)
    - 3x10 DB Rows(70,75,80)
    - 2x10 TBar Rows(115lbs)
    - 2x10 Pulldowns(12, not sure what this translates to in actual weight)
    - 2x15 Seated Rows(10)

Chest
    - BB Bench 5/3/1 - 185/195/205(205lbs is definitely not my heaviest 1RM but I started lighter to allow myself more room to progress instead of starting the heaviest and hitting a wall early on.
    - 3x10 - Decline DB(65lbs)
    - 2x10 - Inclined DB(55,60,65)
    - 2x10 - DB Flies(35lbs)

Legs
    - Squats 5/3/1 - 205/215/225(Same as above)
    - Deadlifts(3x5) - 225lbs(Not too heavy but my form isn't that great on doing repetitions of deadlifts.
    - Leg Press(2x10) - 360lbs
    - DB Lunges(2x10) - These are a completely new exercise but I did them with 45lbs last week.

Arms
    - 3x10 45lb parallel dips
    - 3x12 70lb BB Curls
    - 2x10 55lb Overhead Extensions(Went light to not aggravate my shoulder on getting the weight up and doing the exercise)
    - 2x10 35lb Hammer curls
    - 2x10 Pushdowns(12 on the cable machine)
    - 2x10 Conc. Curls(35lbs)
    - Rope Extensions(Cluster set, 5x10, 8-6 on the cable machine)

Shoulders
    Shoulder Machine 3x10 - 6x 45lb plates, roughly 270lbs
    Lateral Raises 2x10 - 35lbs
    Cable Upright Rows - 2x12 - 8 on the cable machine

Thats the jist of it.
    Week One seemed to be very effective, despite the much lower volume, I was sore the next day after every workout except my arms. I'm gradually setting goals each week based on how an exercise felt a week before.

Today's back workout felt great, I felt much stronger than last week and moved up in weight on everything. Still a large part of my focus is on increase in chest and arm size and strength, my legs are secondary, then my back since it generally responds the best in progression. My shoulders are up there with my arms.

LuNa
    My suggestions and responses are in red.

Let me know what you think and if there is anything else that you would like to go over regarding your routine.
    Thanks for the amazing response Tom.

One final question: how do i put oats in my postworkout shake? Do i have to grind them up?

Thanks for all your help!

There are not very many contests in Tennessee; I believe last year there may have been two or three.

All sanctioned events will be posted on the NAS website although sometimes they are not posted until a couple of months before the event:
    www.nastrongmaninc.com

I do know of a couple of competitors who live in TN and can reach out to them to see if they know of anything. Your best bet may be to travel though as there are some great events in the South Atlantic.

Was there a specific timeframe that you were looking at?
    Thanks for the reply. Right now my interest is as a spectator because my wife and I are expecting our first child in May and that has to come first right now However, my goal is in 2-3 years to compete in some minor events around Tennessee...if I can find any. Don't worry about asking your friends, I will just check out the website for now. Thanks!
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011