Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Mutaffis Q&A

Wannabebig Member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andy31
    Tom,
    Wondering if you could steer in the right direction on a few things,
    1. Could you forward me some contacts for strongman training groups, in the Tampa Bay area? I found Husle and Roman online but haven't contacted anyone yet.
    I am not looking for anything fancy just some good guys to train with.

EDIT: Tom,
    I started Starting Strength today,
    M- squats/bench/deadlift/dips
    W-squats/press/power clean/chin up
    F-squats/bench/deadlift/dips

Could you give me some tips on working in some strongman training?
    Thanks in Advance,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Andy,

Thank you for reaching out, I apologize that it took me a couple of days to get back to you.

You do actually have a few options when it comes to training groups in the Tampa Bay area:
    • StrengthCamp - Elliott Hulse
    • Elite Strength & Conditioning - Chandler Marchman
    • Tom Roman's House

A lot of the local guys alternate between locations and you can get in touch with each of these gentlemen through Facebook. If you would like to connect with me on there I can introduce you to them, and if you do not use that site then I can obtain their emails (just let me know).

Both Tom and Elliott have a great deal of experience and would be a great place to start for strongman training. Chandler just opened a full service gym which also includes a complete line of strongman equipment which would be convenient if you are looking for a gym membership and a place to train events.

I would not recommend Starting Strength for someone who is looking to incorporate strongman event training or improve their performance on strongman events. Do you have any goals for when you might like to compete? I can help you to come up with a customized gym training program or there are some others already in this thread from previous posts.

Please write back to let me know regarding the gym training and getting in touch with local training groups.
    Tom,

I dont have a date picked on when I would like to compete. I dont feel I can be competitive at my bodyweight yet.
    I would appreciate if you could come up with a workout routine for me.
    I am hoping to get up to Tampa and check out some of those guys, but since I am in Bradenton I am going to be limited to once maybe twice a week, but I also have daily access to my schools gym. Looking forward to your imput.

Thanks again,
    Andy
    JOURNAL
    6'3" 324lbs 33% started lifting Oct/09

Squat-315
    Bench-275
    Deadlift-410
    and climbing...

Shemz,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I did accidentally end up out of order on responses.

My comments and suggestions are embedded in red.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    So, the FST program isn't really good for mass building? I'm kind of looking for a combination between mass and getting some definition in. I might start going 4 days instead of 3 depends on my spare time. What i have done recently tho after my 4 x 8 sets i've added 2 x 12 burn out sets..i read in an article that those 4 x 8 works on certain fibers and the 2 x12 targets others and you both need them. That's why the FST program seemed interesting?

There are quite a few ways to build mass. One of the concerns with some volume overload programs is that in many cases you are not using much weight, and something like FST-7 can almost become more of a cardiovascular workout.

'Definition' or body composition will be determined by your diet and your metabolism. Performing 12 reps on most exercises versus 8 reps on most exercises will not make any substantial difference other than perhaps building a bit less muscle.

If you want to maximize your gains I would include a balance of high intensity (heavy) training with volume and specialization.

In many cases I prefer a four day program, but three day programs can still be effective. What split are you currently following and do you plan on doing the FST-7 for all bodyparts? One way to implement it into your program could be to use standard pyramid or 5x5/3x8/etc. protocol for large muscle groups and use the FST for biceps/triceps/deltoids.

I've been training for a year or two, i've managed to get my arms in some sort of balance, not the same yet, but better than it used to be..the strange thing is, the right side of my chest only started to get bigger after i started with either dips or cable cross-overs; since i added both to my routine recently at the same time i don't really know which one is causing it. I have the feeling tho' that one of my ribs on the right side is "thicker" than on the left, it's never bothered me, doctor never said anything about it, but maybe that's what causing it? i don't know.

It is always good to train your muscles from a number of angles. I would recommend adding in some decline work as well if you are not already doing them; you can alternate cable crossovers with decline flyes or decline DB press from week to week.

HMB is not my only supplement. I only mentioned that one, because i thought that was what you ment
    I have proteîn shakes and i have a cup or two of coffee before i hit the gym. Those 3 in combination have given me a some nice gaines; but this weekend i'm probably switching to Nitric Fuel which is more of a pump suplement, which also enhances strength and muscle volume.

I would not count on a 'pump' supplement enhancing strength; for strength gains your best bet would be creatine. In general 'pump' supplements do not provide much value other than giving you a bit better workout (stimulants, etc.) - they do very little in the way of actual strength and physique gains.

Nitric Fuel is available in sample sizes, I would pick up samples before you commit to purchasing a full bottle of it.

Just a tiny question; since english is not my 1st language i was wondering what is the difference between muscle mass and muscle volume?

Muscle Mass is usually an overall term used to describe an individual's level of hypertrophy. Muscle volume typically describes the thickness or size of a specific muscle. For example someone with high bodyfat but large pectorals might be described as having "good chest volume but no seperation". A product may claim to increase 'muscle volume' but usually that would just refer to something that may increase blood flow to muscles during training.

Volume is also commonly used to describe the number of overall sets/reps in a training program.

Thanks alot for your advice though, i appreciate the time you put into it. And it really helps me out

---------------

I just wanted to add that i recently noticed (didn't pay much attention to it before) that there is a fair amount of difference between my shoulders, muscle and mass wise, this would, i suppose, probably also have impact on my arms? So i was wondering if i should drop my shoulder compound movements and focus on isolation for a while? And what should i focus on? I suppose medium weights and "high" reps to focus on strenght or?

What do you currently do in terms of shoulder training? I would focus on dumbbell movements (seated DB military press, various raises) and make sure that both of your arms are tracking the same and that you are in control of the weights at all times. Barbell movements will not always fix imbalances and usually dumbbells are better for keeping things symmetrical.

Deltoids are a small muscle group and each person responds to different things but I usually like to hit 5-8 total sets starting off with heavy DB military press (drop set on the last set) followed by supersets on raises and perhaps finishing off with 1-2 sets of machine work (higher rep).

Hope this helps, please let me know if there is anything else that you would like to discuss.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I didn't mean to rush you or anything i just noticed that people who posted after me got replies. But that's fair tho' i've already asked a bunch of questions in here other people deserver a chance as well

I was thinking about implementing the FST in the way that, let's say for example my back; 3-4 different exercises, but heavy 4 x 8 and then finish of with a machine for 7 x 12 or would that be an overkill for my back? I'm talking upper back right now. I'm looking for somewhat of a "perfect" combination between gaining some mass and increasing my muscle volume and the "condition" of my muscles, i don't know if that's what you call it?

I must say, i've always kind of neglected decline work, mostly because the only decline bench in my gym is attached to a bench; next time i'll take the bar out and grab some dumbells and give it a shot to see if i get some nice results. The main reason why i implemented dips was to hit the "inner" part of my chest a bit more, because incline and cross-overs aren't really getting the work done..

Well, i've heard nothing but good about Nitric Fuel tho', and it's kind of too late to get a sample because i already got a bottle haha! I've tried things out before and got nothing but good results i'll just wait and see i suppose. Alot of people are saying it is the new creatine? I don't know..the description also says:

Powerful Nitric Oxide pumps muscles up with increased blood flow
    Beta-Alanine enhances muscular strength
    Unique dual-layer tablet for intense and extended muscle pump
    Creatine provides your muscles with energy enhancing effects to keep you going strong

Another thing i was wondering about, concering supplements, when do you take em? Cuz one thing says 60-90 minutes before training, but somewhere else you read 30 minutes..I've hear people say it kicks in after 20 mins or so, so i suppose i'll give it a try..

right now for my shoulder workout i do seated db presses and then front raises, side raises and another isolation exercises for the rear delts. i think the biggest difference is in the side muscle of my shoulder in my right shoulder i can see an extra muscle? that i can't see in my left and the right side is a big thicker as well i suppose because i used to "swing" the dumbells when i did side raises, now i'm performing them with correct form. i'm still looking for a good one arm isolation exercise for my rear delts tho, i've been trying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdd2Fp0L0WU

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CGp-HUz5uI (the second exercise at 5:50)

I can't say it enough, i really really appreciate the help i get here, especially from you. It's always nice to hear advice from experienced people instead of just reading an article. If i visit america i'll buy you a beer! And if you're ever competing in a strong man that's being aired on tv let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Trepkos01 View Post
    Thank you Tom.

I am quite baffled with my chest's strength fluctuations. Last year at this time my 1RM max on the BB Bench was 185lbs for 2-3 reps, by the end of January it was 200lbs, by the beginning of March my 5RM was 200lbs(after 3-4 sets(135,155,175) of 5 reps), my 1RM was 235lbs. This was during a period where I can the Madcow 5x5 program if you are familiar with it.

I started a high volume program following it where I would do 5x8 flat and inclined, pyramiding the weight up to where my heaviest lift was the last two sets. I found myself a lot weaker than I thought I was on the bench and somewhat overestimated myself based on my strength gains in the Madcow program.

That summer after starting a clean bulk and dieting properly I started to go from 4x8 Flat(170lbs) to 4x8 Inclined(135lbs), to 4x8 Flat(185lbs), to 4x8 Inclined(145lbs). My weight was hanging around 188lbs at this point, soon I started using dumbbells to which I started with 75lbs as my heaviest 8-10rep set, 60lbs for inclined, to where I could max at 90lbs for 8 reps, 75lbs on inclined. Unfortunately, TWICE on the same exercise(flat db bench), I injured my shoulder first with 75lbs, second with 85lbs. Never got any real details about the injury besides the fact that it didn't limit my ROM so the doctor ruled out anything serious like a tendon-snap. I continued to try out different routines with lower weight. I think the week after the week following the injury I went back to flat bb bench one time and did 100lbsx15, 135lbsx15, 205lbx5, 205lbsx5.

My chest seems to be bouncing around in strength, it shouldn't be hard to do 90lbs for 2-3 clean reps as I had done 90lbs for 8 reps before. But now I may not be able to do that much.
    That is quite a bit of variance with your pressing strength, but that is to be expected with dieting and injuries.

What do you do in terms of warmup? Here is an article that I wrote, it includes a piece on warming up and preparing for PR lifts:

So You Want to Hit a PR? - Tom Mutaffis

Quote Originally Posted by Trepkos01 View Post
    My arms seem to be making very good strides just in the two weeks of lifting thus far, especially in comparison to their starting place of when I joined this gym a month ago.

Last week, my arms routine went like this:
    3x10 - Parallel Dips(2x45lbs, 1xBodyweight)
    3x10 - 12 - BB Curl(70lbs)
    2x10 DB Extension(55lbs, I didn't like the feeling because of my shoulder so I did a set of 70lb skullcrushers afterwards)
    2x10 Hammer Curls(30lbs, 35lbs)
    2x10 Pushdowns(10, 12)
    2x10 Conc. Curls(30lbs, 35lbs)
    5x10 Cluster Drop Sets(8,6,6,6,5)

This week went a bit like this:
    3x10 Parallel Dip(45lbs all sets)
    3x10 BB Curl(90lbs) - Last set was 8 reps
    - Really clean curls, no swaying.
    1x10 DB Extensions(65lbs)
    - I don't really care for the exercise because my shoulder and doesn't really produce that good of a pump in my triceps, so I did the following afterwards.
    2x10 One Arm DB Extensions(30lbs, 35lbs)
    - These gave me a really good pump in my triceps.
    2x10 Pushdowns(12,14)
    - 12 was too easy so I did 14 on the last set, nearly maxing out the cable machine; Forgot to do hammer curls first.
    2x10 Hammer Curls(35lbs, 40lbs)
    2x10 Conc. Curls(35lbs, 40lbs)
    - Did the second set with 40lbs, for a few reps until I couldn't do anymore and then went to 35lbs in the middle of the set to finish it off.
    -5x10 Cluster Drop Set Rope Extensions(10,8,6,6,6)

Though my triceps and biceps were absolutely pumped, I decided to throw in one last set of slow rope extensions with 10 on the machine for about six reps.

Only issues I find is during dips, when I dismount I sometimes experience an intense stretch and pain in my inner chest. I know that dips, if you lean a good bit forward can target your chest more-so than your triceps and for that reason I try to keep my body fairly straight with my arms behind me.

When I started at the gym, I was bb curling with about 60lbs on the bar, db and hammer curling with 25lbs, bodyweight dips, rope extensions on 4-6, pushdowns on 8.

---------------------------------------------

Did shoulders today Tom, decided to try 300lbs on the shoulder press machine, roughly 3x 45lb plates, 10lb plate and 5lb plate per side, 150lbs per side. It was rough, managed to get 7 solid reps out if, then I went back down to 270lbs for 2 sets of 8-10.

Went over and did 10x 35lb lateral raises, tried this new technique with 30lbs where I grabbed the side of the smith machine with one arm, leaned out and then did the lateral raise with the other arm. It was alright but I decided to just do the basic movement, did 40lbs on the second set of lateral raises, no swinging, elbows bent slightly.

80lb Cable upright rows, 80lb face pulls. Did the rear delt pec deck, machine press, to finish it off I also did 90lb dumbbells shrugs, 225lb bb shrugs. 2x10 per. Workout lasted about 30-35mins.
    These two posts look like they would be great for a training log. You might want to keep a journal here so that you can track your progress and also receive tips from everyone here at WBB (including myself).

WannaBeBig - Member Online Journals

With regard to your dips (and chins); it is best to 'dismount' by stepping onto a platform of some sort.

Hope this helps and feel free to send me a PM with a link to your training journal if you decide to create one.

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Hey Tom I have a couple questions about my routine.

Started lifting november 2008, you might remember because you were the one that helped me out and build a foundation as far as my diet, and training goes. I did the routine you gave me for about 2 months saw good gains, but I heard a lot of good things about Starting Strength here so I switched over. I was on SS for 7-8 months though. Made good strength and size gains. I was stalling on SS so I switched to Texas Method. I took a couple photos 5 minutes ago just to give you a better idea on where im at now:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...2/8B747E7F.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...2/7624B289.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...12/23E8BE5.jpg

There iphone pics sorry for the not so good quality. I gained a lot of weight and also a lot of fat.

After vacation 2 weeks ago I was 205, I know for a fact I gained some weight already and I might look big in the photo but I just ate. I might be around 210 or so now. I've been on texas method for about 2-3 months now, and I'm just getting a little bored of it. I would like to switch over to hypertrophy training while I cut, and continue it for when I bulk again if thats possible. I have been cutting slightly and it's very hard to lift heavy on Friday because I have squat to a heavy 5, bp to a heavy, and deadlift to a heavy 5. I haven't seen any good strength or size gains on Texas Method and I feel I can handle more only because it doesn't seem like a big step up from SS. I would like to focus more on size gains then strength if possible because I think Texas is still leaning more towards strength, what do you think? Here's the current routine-Texas Method:

Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Row 5x5
    sit-ups

Front Squat 3x3
    GM 2x5
    OH Press 2x5
    pull-ups 2 sets to failure. I can only do about 10-15.

Squat to Heavy 5
    Bench to Heavy 5
    DL to Heavy 5

My numbers a little over 1 month ago were 465x2 on the deadlift, 355x2 on the squat, and 265x2 on the bench press. Im not too sure where my numbers are now because I've just been trying to get my full sets/reps in and not focus on putting more weight on the bar like before.

I had my eye on 2 routines the one you posted in the bodybuilding Q&A and Baby Got Back, I'm not too sure which would be best for me if neither, so I'd like your opinion. I'd appreciate any tips or advice you have to offer for somebody in my situation. Thanks in advance for your time.
    Last edited by Brian999; 01-25-2010 at 10:30 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...=1#post2241618

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    HARDGAINER = NOT EATING ENOUGH

Quote Originally Posted by MPB View Post
    Tom, one thing that has always impressed me is your overhead press. I consider my overhead press to be one of my weakest lifts, and it is usually the slowest and hardest lift for me to improve. I'm pressing 180 for 5 reps at the moment.

Right now I'm following a basic westside template. After speed bench, I pick one shoulder movement and do 3 sets of 5 reps or sometimes I work up to my 5rm. Other than simple 3 sets of 5, is there anything else I can do differently to put more focus on my overhead work, and possibly improve it?

(Standing Strict Overhead Press)
    Depending on your bodyweight and lifting background 180 lbs x 5 strict press is actually quite good.

In terms of ways to improve your pressing power, the first place to start would be specialization. This usually means limiting your intensity or volume on other movements to conserve energy and focus directly on OHP and accessory movements for that lift. It would also involve moving OHP to the beginning of your workout.

There are a few factors in building a strong overhead press:
    - Triceps Power
    - Stability & Core Strength
    - Technique
    - Progression

Triceps: Exercises like close grip bench, board press, and weighted dips are all great for building your triceps. There are a few different ways to approach this portion of your training depending on how much overall press work you are doing right now.

Stability: For overhead stability I would recommend doing some rack lockouts as well as trying different footwear/foot positions. Adding a belt can also help you to stabilize your core.

Technique: By technique I mean grip, bar path, and body position. I have found that using a false grip (thumbless) works best for overhead press and you always want to make sure to press the bar directly over your head while driving your head through on the lift - this will provide better stability and allow you to really drive with your triceps. Make sure to keep your upper back tight and elbows in at your sides when you start the lift.

Progression: For overhead press I have noticed that a lot of people make good gains with a 5/3/1 progression template (3x5, 3x5, 5/3/1, deload, repeat). You can always start your DE Westside day with OHP then have Speed Bench as your second movement and finish off with accessory work.

If you would like for me to write up a detailed pressing workout I would be happy to do so and would just need a brief summary of what you are doing right now in terms of sets/reps/exercises.

Hope this helps!

If you would like for me to write up a detailed pressing workout I would be happy to do so and would just need a brief summary of what you are doing right now in terms of sets/reps/exercises
    Thanks Tom for taking your time to help me out.

This is what I do on my dynamic effort days:
    1. Speed bench, 9 sets of 3 reps (alternating close/medium/wide grips) using 40%~50% of my 1RM
    2. One heavy shoulder movement, 3 sets of 5 reps. I rotate standing barbell overhead press and standing one arm dumbbell press weekly
    3. Triceps extensions, 3 sets of 12~20 reps. I usually choose one movement from tate press, db rolling extensions, skull crushers, or pushdowns
    4. One rowing movement, 3 sets of 12~20 reps. I usually dumbbell rows to limit the strain on my lower back
    5. Accessory work/rehab/prehab/conditioning or anything I need to work on for about 5 minutes

Max effort days:
    1. Max effort bench, I try work up to my 1RM and try to get 3 lifts within +90% of my max. Sometimes, I'll work up to 3RM. I usually rotate flat bench, close grip floor press, board press, and close grip bench press.
    2. One heavy triceps/chest movement, 3 sets of 5 reps. I rotate dumbbell press, close grip board press, close grip incline press, and close grip floor press.
    3. Triceps extensions, 3 sets of 12~20 reps. I usually choose one movement from tate press, db rolling extensions, skull crushers, or pushdowns
    4. One vertical pulling movement, 3 sets of 8~12 reps. I do weighted pull ups or sometimes lat pull downs.
    5. Accessory work/rehab/prehab/conditioning or anything I need to work on for about 5 minutes
    Last edited by MPB; 01-25-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
    I really appreciate all your help Tom. If you think that explaining that method would be easiest you can say that, if you feel a link would be easier for you personally you should do that. I will talk to my friend, i think in the end he will not be dedicated enough to follow a diet plan...i wish this wasnt true, but i find that 98% of people are to lazy to be all they can be
    That is one of the good parts about the 'Bulking Tips' that I posted. You do not have a follow a diet, just a couple of guidelines:
    • Eat (2) natural peanut butter sandwiches on wheat bread everyday.
    • Drink protein shakes after you train and between meals on recovery days.
    • Drink skim milk or eat a can of tuna before bed every night.

The rest is up to him, but at least this assures a boost in calories and protein which are both keys to mass gain.

With regard to training, here are a couple of generic training splits:

Generic 3-Day Split:
    Monday - Push (Chest / Shoulders / Triceps)
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday - Lower (Squats / Etc.)
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - Pulling (Back / Biceps / Deadlifts)
    Sunday - Rest

Generic 4-Day Split:
    Monday - Upper Body A (Bench / Chins / Etc.
    Tuesday - Lower Body A (Squats, Etc.)
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - Upper Body B (Rows, DB Press Variation, etc.)
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - Lower Body B (Deadlift, Etc.)
    Sunday - Rest

Both of these would provide good gains to someone who is eating above maintenance calories and is training with high intensity. With the four-day split it is important to have variation between your workouts, and if your friend is interested I can put together something comprehensive for him.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 01-25-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Would it be alright if i put him on WS4SB. I say this because i am doing it and have about 5 kids working out with me, and while i may seem clueless to people on here, these kids really have NO idea what they are doing, so i basically have them do the same thing as me and watch them and teach them form and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Boiler015 View Post
    Tom, Im entering a strongman contest in April. Based on the fact that I am not able to do any specific event training except farmers walk with dumbells, what do you think of the way I set up this 5/3/1 routine. My overall goal is still powerlifting but I figure i should give this a shot! It looks like fun!

Sunday
    Military Press 5/3/1
    Chins 35 reps total
    DB Military 5x10 <--would barbell military be better here?
    (can add something here strongman related. I was thinking farmers walk, but with deadlifts the next day i dont know how my grip would hold up)

Monday
    Power Clean 5/3/1
    Deadlift 5/3/1
    Deadlift 5x10
    Weighted Sit-Ups 5x10

Wednesday
    Bench
    Chins 35 reps total
    Dips 5x10
    Farmer's Walk (timed? distance? whats your opinion?)

Friday
    Squat 5/3/1
    Squat 5x10
    Back Raises 5x10
    Hanging Leg Raises 5x15

I was also thinking about putting some hill sprints or some sort of cardio on Monday/Wednesday/Friday.

If it helps at all, I'm 5'10" about 215 lbs.
    Military- 185
    Deadlift- 405
    Bench- 285
    Squat- 335

Those lifts are based on a calculator of this past cycle.

Thanks for the help,
    Jake
    Jake,

Do you know what events are going to be in the April contest? This will help me to set up an effective program so that your gym training not only increases your power lifts but also has carryover to strongman.

Please let me know on the events and I will put together a detailed program for you from there.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 01-26-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pigout789 View Post
    Hey Tom Very informative thread thanks for all of your help/
    My question is my friend is going into the marines he asked me what kind of workouts he should do for his conditioning and strength goals.
    What routine do you suggest for a to be marine?
    PigOut -

My understanding is that male Marines will perform "dead-hang" pull-ups, abdominal crunches, and a three-mile run every six months as part of their testing. Some military branches also include pushups, waist measurement, and different running distances (Ranging from 1.5 miles to 5 miles).

For increasing pullups and situps I would recommend Pavel's GTG method. This method basically states "Specificity + frequent practice = success". The objective is to frequently perform the exercise but to moderate your intensity so that you never come close to failure or exhaustion. For example someone who can do 20 strict chins might use 8-10 repetitions for their GTG training and perform 50+ sets per week. The training is broken up throughout the day and you usually will not perform consecutive sets.

Running is not my specialty so I did a little bit of research and found some programs that were designed to prepare novice/intermediate runners for 5K races. Most programs call for (3) training days per week with a progressive format; with optional active recovery / cross training sessions. I have attached an example of one of these programs.

A lot of people make the mistake of focusing too much on strength training when in reality conditioning and strength endurance are the metrics which are most meaningful for military personnel.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you or your friend would like to discuss any other aspects of training, diet, supplements, etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wannabebig Member
    At what point would I transition from a beginner to an intermediate and then to an advanced level? Im speaking in terms of BB and hypertrophy gains. I have lifted for over 20 years but never with a good solid diet or program, thus no really good gains. I have also laid off for over 5 years and then got back into it and made gains getting me to where I am now. Ive been back into it for around 4 years I guess with the last full year and a half using various routines, keeping journals, learning, testing my knowledge. Also for the last year I have been clean with diet, tracking macros and calories. Im making gains, but they are slow. Im wondering if looking into more intermediate type programs would be the ticket?

Wannabebig Member
    Everything seems to be progressing very well with your program but my chest is starting to be driven out of the comfort zone. Today I did 205x5, 215x3, 225x1 on the flat barbell bench, 75lb dumbbells on the decline db, 65,70,65lb dumbbells on the inclined db, and 40lb db flies.

It is evident that my chest is very weak or has dramatically decreased or stalled in strength. A brief history on my chest statistics.

Aug 08 - I would bench 100lbs for 5x10, flat and inclined - 145lbs bw
    Sept 08 - I could bench 135lbs for 5x on flat - 155lbs bw
    Dec 08 - I could bench 155lbs for 4x5 on flat. - 170lbs bw

- Switched over from high volume 3-day split to Madcow 5x5 strength program.

Jan 09 - I could bench 175lbs for 1x5 on flat. Max was 185lbsx2 - 180lbs bw
    Feb 09 - I could bench 185lbs for 1x5 on flat. Max was 200lbsx1 - 190lbs bw
    March - I could bench 200lbsx5. Max was 230lbsx1 - 195lbs bw

- Switched back to high volume 3-day split. Months pass.
    June 09 - I could bench 170lbs 4x8 on flat. - 193ish bw
    July 09 - I could bench 180lbs 4x8 on flat. - 188lbs bw

-Switched to dumbbells.
    August 09 - Started with 75lbs x 8, ended with 85lbsx8. - 185lbs bw
    -Shoulder injury
    October 09 - Gotten to 90lbs x 8. - 195lbs bw
    - Shoulder injury again.

November 09 - I did 100lbsx15, 135lbsx15, 205lbsx5, then 205lbsx3-4 at 197ish bw
    - Joined a gym and began db benching again, eventually got to 85lbsx8 again.
    - Started this program.

Week 1 - 185lbsx5, 195lbsx3, 205lbsx1
    Week 2 - 195lbsx5, 205lbsx3, 215lbsx1
    Week 3(Now) - 205lbsx5, 215lbsx3, 225lbsx1
    Week 3 and I'm already beginning to dig into the zone where I may or may not be able to push the weight. This week's lift felt pretty tough all around, not sure if I should slow the progress down or keep trying to go even more but I may need to get a spotter or bench press on the power rack where there are safety bars to catch the weight. If I do fail next week, do I continue to try that weight for the following week? Do I deload for a week then, hit that same weight the week after?

My chest is very weak and small(43"'s) and I'm prioritizing a growth in strength, I want to get where I can do the following.

135x10, 185x10, 205x8, 225x8 for Flat
    90-100lbs Dumbbells on Inclined and Declined.

Wannabebig Member

What should I do?

Hey Tom,
    I am new to weight lifting and I am currently doing the SS program. I am very happy with it and have been making some pretty good gains. However, I am also a basketball player and I am pretty sure I am burning off too many calories. I am now supplementing my diet with ON 100% Whey and I just ordered At Large's Creatine 500.

My question is this, how do you recommend I take these supps? Here is what I was planning on:
    -Whey w/ whole milk as soon as I wake up
    -Creatine mixed with gatorade 1 hr pre workout
    -Whey immediately after workout
    -Whey w/ whole milk before bed(I know that a better bed time protein would be casein but will this still work?)

Thanks for your help
    R.J.

Wannabebig Member
    Hi Tom,

Great wealth of information here. I was wondering if you have any "hypertrophy/strongman training combo" programs? I'm getting bored using standard equipment and would like to use strongman equipment to pack on size.

Any suggestions/advice from you is greatly appreciated.

Banned
    Tom,

I plan on competing primarily in the 181 raw weight class for the duration of 2010. I was pondering my future in strength sports last night, and there is definitely an appeal to follow my 2010 year in 181s with a big bulk to ~225 and try my hand at strongman implements. Bulking will be the easy part, and I found a crew that meets about 1.5 hr from me every saturday for implements. My question: What is a good strength base prior to getting into strongman and also do you have any resources for those just getting into the sport?

Wannabebig Member
    Usudno -

I am glad to hear that the other advice worked out well for you, it sounds like you have made some great progress.

There are a few things that we can tweak with your current split so that we can incorporate some cardiovascular/conditioning work and also focus more on your pectoral development.

Complexes in general can make for great cardio, but they are fairly challenging and can sometimes impact recovery as well. I like to incorporate a mix of interval training, low intensity steady state (active recovery), plyometrics, and BB/DB circuits or complexes. The timing of these workouts is quite important but I am not sure if your schedule. Are you able to train every day of the week? Also, what is the order of your workouts? I would always include your lower body training in the middle of the week along with a rest day; usually something like M/T/Th/F with a rest day on Wednesday and lower body training on Thursday works well. This way you can train pulling muscles on Monday or Tuesday, pressing muscles on the other day, and then a general upper body day (Arms/Shoulders) on Friday. It would optimize your recovery.

For complexes I never like to add in any strenuous cardio the day before my lower body training day, but I do like to add in some type of conditioning work the day after lower body training to increase recovery. Usually you want to pair your most challenging conditioning workouts with your least challenging gym workouts.

If you can provide me with a few more specifics I will write up a detailed template for you including specific time intervals, exercises, etc.

With regard to you chest training, I would change up your workout a bit:

Usudno Chest / Triceps Workout:
    Decline BB Press - 3 x 8
    Flat DB Press - 3 x 8-10
    *Dips - 3 x 10 (weighted)
    Incline BB Press - 2 x 10-12
    Incline Skull Crushers / Extensions - 3 x 8-10
    Pec Deck (Butterfly) - 2 x 15
    Cable Pushdowns - 1 x 50-100 (light)
    **Rope Cable Pushdown Superset - 1 x 8 & 8 (wide/close)

*Perform the dips on the wider part of the handles, on your final set include a drop set and go BW x max reps for the drop set.

**For this superset you will pick a weight that you can perform for 8-10 reps and then us the rope attachment while making a full extension and seperating the rope at the bottom pulling out towards your sides. Once you have fatigued you continue with the same weight but this time keep the knots/rubber attachments on the end of the rope squeezed together. This will allow you to perform an additional 5-10 repetitions.

Please let me know about your schedule and what you think of the modified Chest / Triceps training. Hope this helps!
    I can swing everyday if i get back to waking up at 4:30a.m. which i can. I'm dedicated enough. I just havn't had the need to as of now. Good thinking on the leg day after a rest day. I never thought of that. Workout is usually Mon. back bis, tuesday off, wednesday chest tris, thurs off, friday shoulders abs, sat off, sunday legs calves.

I'm open to any suggestions. I'm a day behind so today i'm working out with a buddy.. chest and tris. Thanks again man.

Quote Originally Posted by aj24 View Post
    I have actually changed up my routine, I started Starting Strength last week. Only thing is im not for sure on how to do power cleans. Ive watched youtube videos but it does look dangerous and looks like a more advanced work out. What can I replace this work out with? Back rows with a barbell?
    Starting Strength is a good beginner program for some people, although quite a contrast to your initial program which was focused more on upper body movements.

In terms of replacing exercises, you could perform high pulls instead of power cleans if you are not comfortable with cleans. A high pull is esentially every portion of the clean except for the "catch". Usually it is easier to learn 'hang' variations of the olympic lifts before attempting the full or power versions ('hang' means starting in a standing position with the bar at your thighs).

Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post
    Tom a couple questions ( sorry they are a little broad just looking for your opinions ).

1) What is your opinion of EDT or density training in general?

2) Do you think that it makes for a good mix of someone wanting to gain size/strength, lean out improve conditioning etc..( I guess you could say for people who have more than one goal in mind ) This of course could all be determined by load and rest periods etc..

3) Do you think that something like EDT ( or similar density training ) could be used as a finisher to after heavy lifting to improve muscle mass, conditioning etc..

Link to what EDT not sure if you have heard of it or not.

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2009...-fat-shredder/
    View 1 -

I would be happy to provide you with my thoughts on this program. EDT is not something that I have personally tried or done a lot of research on, but I did read through the article and have previously used some similar concepts in my training.

1.) My thoughts are that this type of training could potentially work very well for upper body movements; and also for lower body movements as long as you closely moderate your workout and use the rest periods to create intensity (versus the amount of weight/reps). I have previously done workouts where I will perform 3-5 reps with my 10-12 RM and hit 5-8 sets with 30-60 seconds rest between sets. This protocol would be similar to an EDT workout.

2.) This type of program would provide a good amount of volume and also has moderated rest periods, so for hypertrophy/conditioning I would consider it to be a good option. You will increase your strength endurance as well but constantly working with your 10-12 RM may not provide enough resistance to drastically increase 1RM strength. One option may be to use EDT in conjunction with something like a 3x3 or 5x5 protocol (perhaps do one 'session' of each since EDT is broken down into double sessions). Simple answer: For multiple goals (strength/hypertrophy/conditioning) I think EDT is a good option as long as you are not a competitive powerlifter who is striving for optimal 1RM strength.

3.) I guess that I touched on this in my response to question #2. Yes, I think that using some EDT principals in conjunction with other methods could help to add balance to your program. I would limit yourself to (1) EDT session or perhaps (2) 10-15 minute sessions depending on what you are doing before hand. One thing to be careful of is recovery. If you are going to be doing a mix of power / EDT training in each session then I would probably limit your total number of workouts to three per week, perhaps with an additional 'accessory' day.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you would like to discuss structuring a hybrid EDT program (EDT combined with other methods).

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    hey tom.... in another thread you just posted in you said,

Certain types of cardiovascular training will not have a negative impact on muscle gains or recovery. There are a few options but here are the most common:

- Low Intensity Steady State Cardio / An example would be walking on a treadmill at 3 mph for 30-45 minutes.
    - High Intenisy Interval Training / Alternating between periods of high intensity and low intensity, usually at one minute intervals and total sessions lasting 15-25 minutes.
    - Complexes & Circuits / Kettlebell work, plyometrics, etc.

I was wondering why these types of cardio are considered better than others, and what their effect is on overall gains. I have heard that doing a program like HIIT can help as it makes you hungrier, thus allowing you to increase your caloric intake. Is this true?
    The intensity of cardiovascular training is determined by your heart rate. Usually low intensity is defined as the 65% range while aerobic training is defined as around 80%.

Here is a chart from the American Heart Association:

Heart Rate Chart

Why is this important?

With low intensity cardiovascular training your body utilizes stored fat for energy, but with aerobic cardiovascular training your body simply burns the glycogen that is stored in muscle. For high intensity activities the energy source is ATP.

Tom-
    In regards to nutrition and trying to keep your weight gain positive but lean, how do you treat off-rest day nutrition?

Same calories but lower carb intake?
    Same calories?
    Less calories due to less expenditure?

It would seem I most often see the suggestion "same calories but less carbs!" in regards to bulking. My logic says to take in a few hundred less to keep a ~250cal surplus since Ive done less work for the day...
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Thanks tom this helps alot and my friend thanks you for your time. If i have any other question ill be sure to ask thanks again
    Height: 5,11
    Weight: 194 (Dieting to 9-10% BF )
    BF%: 13

The only thing wrong in this world is religon.

-Kevin

Why doesn't God heal amputees?

Wannabebig Member
    I saw in an earlier post that an intermediate could be after 9 months of good quality training. I do believe I can consider myself an intermediate.

PigOut -

My understanding is that male Marines will perform "dead-hang" pull-ups, abdominal crunches, and a three-mile run every six months as part of their testing. Some military branches also include pushups, waist measurement, and different running distances (Ranging from 1.5 miles to 5 miles).

For increasing pullups and situps I would recommend Pavel's GTG method. This method basically states "Specificity + frequent practice = success". The objective is to frequently perform the exercise but to moderate your intensity so that you never come close to failure or exhaustion. For example someone who can do 20 strict chins might use 8-10 repetitions for their GTG training and perform 50+ sets per week. The training is broken up throughout the day and you usually will not perform consecutive sets.

Running is not my specialty so I did a little bit of research and found some programs that were designed to prepare novice/intermediate runners for 5K races. Most programs call for (3) training days per week with a progressive format; with optional active recovery / cross training sessions. I have attached an example of one of these programs.

A lot of people make the mistake of focusing too much on strength training when in reality conditioning and strength endurance are the metrics which are most meaningful for military personnel.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you or your friend would like to discuss any other aspects of training, diet, supplements, etc.
    say i can do 40 sit ups...i would then do 15-20 6 times a day for the whole week? or would you do 15-20 12 times 4 days a week?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy31 View Post
    Tom,

I dont have a date picked on when I would like to compete. I dont feel I can be competitive at my bodyweight yet.
    I would appreciate if you could come up with a workout routine for me.
    I am hoping to get up to Tampa and check out some of those guys, but since I am in Bradenton I am going to be limited to once maybe twice a week, but I also have daily access to my schools gym. Looking forward to your imput.

Thanks again,
    Andy
    Andy,

I assume that you have decided to move on from the Starting Strength program.

What kind of equipment do you have available to you at the school gym? We can coordinate your squatting/deadlifting for the regular gym day but I am just curious if there are free weights at the school gym or if it is just a machine circuit/etc.

If you are interested in coming to watch a contest I will be judging the SW Florida's Strongest Man IV / Mike Witmer Memorial in March down in Fort Myers, and will likely be competing in the Show of Champions in Orlando in April. Most of the individuals from the training groups in Tampa/Bradenton should be in attendance at these contests.

Let me know about the equipment and I will put together a comprehensive gym program for you.