Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Mutaffis Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    Yeah, that's kind of how i designed my new workout, i tried it out this week and i think it worked well, had a good recovery so, i'll see if it gives me good results. For my back, the chin ups, i'm following an article that was posted on this website, to do rep per rep till you reach 30 with +-15 sec rest between the reps, it hasn't stopped me from performing my other back exercises with their normal weight tho; and i've never stalled in the past, but when i'm trying out something new i'm always a bit worried that i might be overtraining.

I think i might be overtraining my arms tho, because on, for example, back and bicep day i do FST after my back exercises, but also after my bicep, so maybe i should only perform the FST part on big muscle groups

decline benching went very well, one of my favorite new exercises haha

as far as the Nitric fuel goes (in combination with caffeine), it's a great boost, tried it out with this workout and i was able to increase the weight on all exercises with quite a few lbs, i'm just hoping it has +- equal results on the 'volume' part.

thanks alot for your time! i'm taking a rest week starting monday, finished my exams going on holiday with gf, after that i'm gonna fully dedicate myself to this 'new' way of training and i'll let you know if it has given me decent gains.
    If you are training Back and Biceps on the same day then I would just ditch the FST-7 all together. You can come up with your own variation for biceps training and do something like (5) sets of 10 with one minute rest between sets as your primary biceps training (followed by maybe a couple of sets of preacher/concentration curls if you wanted to add them in).

The article that you are talking about 'Leave Lat Pulldown Land and Build a Bigger Back' does provide you with a good protocol for training.

I am glad to hear that you liked the Decline Bench Press; let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Tom, I've been using 5x5 rep/set scheme for ohp but seem to be stuck. I was thinking of implementing the 5-3-1 percentages and rep/set protocol to just that lift.....leaving rep/set schemes for all other main lifts and all accessory shoulder lifts the same. Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by co14on View Post
    Tom,

I've been doing SS for 10 weeks and have made decent gains, my lifts are as follows:

(x5, of course)
    Squat 315
    Deadlift 315
    Bench 225
    OH Press 140
    Power Clean 170 (x3)

Any ways, my concern is my fat gain, I've gone from around 170 or so to 204 in this short amount of time. I'm doing GOMAD (whole milk) at the moment, and its been going well. I was just wondering if you had a few tips to optimize strength gains and slow down the fat. Cutting down on the milk, maybe? I'm not too concerned about it at the moment, but I'm concerned about not being able to get lean again. Also, what weight would you consider too high for a bulk for me?

Thanks
    I am glad to hear that Starting Strength is working well for you. Did you gain 34 lbs in the 10 weeks that you have been on the program? Or just in general since you started training.

If you are concerned about fat gain I would definitely switch from whole milk over to skim milk; and then perhaps adjust your milk intake from there and replace some of the milk with protein shakes.

Without a better idea of your current physique (pictures, bodyfat %, etc.) it is hard to say when you should cut back and begin to eat at maintenance calorie level to solidify your gains.

Let me know if there is anything else that you would like to discuss regarding your diet/training/supplements.

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post
    Thanks for the reply tom.

I should have been a little more specific right now my first lift is always heavier ( 4-6 reps ramping up ) then I fallow it up with some higher rep work. Ive tried different types of conditioning workouts ( complexes, metablic trainging etc.. ) and I have to be honest I hate working out like that its not for me and I know I wont keep up with it. As I trying to shed some body fat right now, I have done some reading in regards to density training ( EDT was just used as an example ) and I plan to start to doing that with the higher rep stuff as this I know alot of BB due this in there final weeks in contest prep. I know that it wont improve my conditioning as well as doing say complexes, but it will due enough.

I like the idea of how you preformed density work, and that is something thats easy to due and work into my routine. Again thanks for the feedback you answered my questions perfectly.
    You may like one workout that I did recently; it is similar to EDT with a twist. Instead of performing a maximum number of sets in a given period of time you instead will perform a prescribed number of sets as quickly as possible. Also, instead of using one exercise it is a superset with a 'power' component and a 'volume' component. Usually for the Power part of the movement you will perform a compound exercise in the 80-85% range for one repetition. For the volume component you will perform a related exercise but this time will perform 4-6 reps with a moderate weight. The total number of sets can range anywhere from 6-10 depending on your current level of conditioning.

Here is what I did for my workout:

Power Clean 275 x 1 / Chins BW x 5 - 10 sets total with no more than one minute rest between complexes. No more than 10-15 seconds rest between the two exercises.

Something like this could be adapated for other body parts and the entire workout only took about 25 minutes. This leaves room for some power work before hand or additional isolation work following the 'density training'.

Let me know if there is anything else that you would like to brainstorm and I appreciate you bringing the EDT information to my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy31 View Post
    Tom,
    That sounds good on the events in Ft.Meyers and Orlando, I will make it a poi nt to get to one of them. I know there is one tomorrow in Clearwater but its my sons birthday at ChuckEcheese.
    Ok so on the equipment at the gym. There is a full set of DBs to atleast 100,
    Incline bench, flat, power rack, roman chair, BBs with large assortment of plates. There also is a large cable machine setup- the kind where there are two sides for pull downs, rows, etc and the cables in the middle for flys and such. and a smith machine. I could be missing something but thinks thats about it. edit: and a 45degree leg press
    I am willing to purchase some training equipment for the house as well.
    I just wouldnt know where to begin. I have access to several large fields and large pool. I also have a pretty decent road bike that I like to ride. My favorite lift in the gym is the deadlift.

I dont know how much of that info is revelant to your plan for me but I figuered it wouldnt hurt. My sig is current as far my size and lifts.

Thanks again for your help.

BTW: I saw your last training video and that jump was insane!
    Andy,

I would recommend a split where you alternate between workouts on a weekly basis (A,B,A,B,A):

Week A:
    Monday: Deadlift, Upper Back, Grip
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: Push Press, Triceps
    Thursday: Front Squat or OLY Squat, Lower Body.
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Conditioning Day - Plyos, Interval Training, Etc.
    Sunday: Rest

Week B:
    Monday: Chins, Rows, Power Cleans
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: Close Grip or Incline Bench, Accessory Work
    Thursday: Deadlift Variation (Rack or Deficit), Lower Body
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Conditioning Day - Plyos, Interval Training, Etc.

In terms of specific workouts I would use 5-3-1, 3x3, or 5x5 for your primary lifts (the first one lister for each day). For secondary movements I would work in the 5-10 rep range, and include supersets for isolation movements. Your conditioning day is meant to build athleticism but can also include strongman related training such as sled drags, sandbag work, or car push/pull.

If you would like to add in additional conditioning work that would be fine. My only recommendation would be to go with either low intensity steady state or high intensity interval training; and to have at least one day per week completely dedicated to rest/recovery.

Diet is going to be important as well, and the overall objective is to build your gym strength while improving overall athleticism and conditioning. This will prepare you for strongman competition.

Please let me know if there is anything specific that I can help you with, and hopefully will see you next month at the Fort Myers event if you are able to come down.

Quote Originally Posted by stanton View Post
    First I want to thank you for all your time and dedication you give to the board.
    I'm 37.. 5'4" at 161 lbs. I have a mesomorph body. I havn't trained in 8 years but I do have a very good platform to build on. I can get a pic if you need it.
    I'm currently at 13%BF and dropping.

My problem is I can't eat enough food. I can barely get 2500 cals.
    I would like to talk to you about a diet plan for bulking. Maybe a routine if you see fit. I have been using WBB 1 for 5 weeks and have had some good gains, but I'm sure its muscle memory since I'm so low on cals. I have increased in size and strength everywhere but no weight gain. I don't have my measurements here at work but I can get them if you need to see them.

I train from 4 to 5 pm for diet planning info you might need. I have been using Nitrean, general multi via, and on my 4th day of Creatine 500.

Thanks for any help and let me know if you need anymore info.
    Stanton,

Thank you for reaching out, I am glad to hear that you are back in the gym and making good gains.

In terms of diet there are definitely some ways to boost your overall calorie intake; although it would be best if you could write down what a typical day's diet looks like right now. From there I can help you to tweak things to optimize your gains. It does sound like you have things covered in terms of supplements and I will include them in the diet plan.

The WBB programs all seem to work quite well, but if you have any specific training questions or anything that you might like to modify in the program just let me know.

Thanks Tom

Breakfest
    2 Scoops nitrean in 8oz whole milk Creatine 500 in cup of power aid
    2 cups Multi grain cheerios or grits or fiber one honey clusters

Meal 2
    Usually meat.. a chicken breast, or pork chop or piece of steak.
    handfull of almonds or yogurt. Or a Turkey sandwitch on whole wheat
    or can of whire meat chicken and trisquits crackers

Meal 3
    whatever meat , brown rice or green beans or turnips.

Pre workout
    2 scoops nitrean maybe a banana.
    PW
    same

meal 4
    Whatever meats I have cooked, greeen beans, brown rice, turnips or some sort of bean..mostly black beans

Bedtime snack
    yogurt maybe 1 scoop nitrean in whole milk

Just a basic Idea..I don't deviate too far from these handfuls of food. I want to eat clean. My breakfest is weak but I'm trying to stay away from crap foods like bacon or sausage. My cholesterol was high last physical in Sept. Giving my past history I am eating 10x better than I used too... I feel better. I ate out every meal unless we wanted steak. I was also a fast food junky.
    This is all I can think of. If you need anymore info let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I would probably go with 15 situps for your working sets and go with 10-15 sets per day for five days out of the week. This will still leave you with two recovery days and your body should adapt to the volume relatively quickly.

This may sound like a lot, it really is not that bad. Over the weekend I was snowed in and did 33 sets of (3) chins since I was not able to go to the gym; at the end of the day I was not fatigued in any way.

Keep me posted on your training and let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.
    Well considering im on a calorie restricted diet. Do you think this+a complex+aerobic running+WS4SB is to much?

Im go nna do them on my two rest days on the weekend on and on dynamic lower+repition and rest day. Sound alright? By the way that friend i have that im in compeition just whooped me hardcore on the deadlift...hes a bit better at bench and squat then me, but he is pretty damn good at deadlift, did 295 his first time and he squats 205 for a 3RM, is there like something wrong with him lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Trepkos01 View Post
    You listed that I should do a cluster set of 25 on the machine shoulder press, is there a different exercise I could do this with because the machine shoulder press agitates my right shoulder.
    What kind of equipment do you have access to?

You could try seated/standing presses with a free motion machine if your gym has one. Otherwise I would just go with smith machine military presses since you are already going to be doing a lot of free weight shoulder work and this 'finisher' set should be a machine movement.

Wannabebig Member
    What kind of equipment do you have access to?

You could try seated/standing presses with a free motion machine if your gym has one. Otherwise I would just go with smith machine military presses since you are already going to be doing a lot of free weight shoulder work and this 'finisher' set should be a machine movement.
    http://www.gymequipment.uk.com/store...lder_Press.jpg

The above is kinda like the machine I do my main shoulder compound lift on with 3x plates on both sides, except the handles come to meet at the top of the lift.

Here is my online journal, check out the 4 week summary to get an idea of my progress and give me your thoughts.

http://wannabebig.com/forums/showthr...83#post2289583

Wannabebig Member
    Pete,

I do have a program that should be released some time this month.

The article is saved on my home computer but I will post up the template for you later tonight and then we can customize the program for you from there.
    Music to my ears! You are the man.

Looking forward to customizing the program with you.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Tom!
    I will follow that routine and I'll shoot you a line when the Ft Meyers event approaches

Andy
    JOURNAL
    6'3" 324lbs 33% started lifting Oct/09

Squat-315
    Bench-275
    Deadlift-410
    and climbing...

You may like one workout that I did recently; it is similar to EDT with a twist. Instead of performing a maximum number of sets in a given period of time you instead will perform a prescribed number of sets as quickly as possible. Also, instead of using one exercise it is a superset with a 'power' component and a 'volume' component. Usually for the Power part of the movement you will perform a compound exercise in the 80-85% range for one repetition. For the volume component you will perform a related exercise but this time will perform 4-6 reps with a moderate weight. The total number of sets can range anywhere from 6-10 depending on your current level of conditioning.

Here is what I did for my workout:

Power Clean 275 x 1 / Chins BW x 5 - 10 sets total with no more than one minute rest between complexes. No more than 10-15 seconds rest between the two exercises.

Something like this could be adapated for other body parts and the entire workout only took about 25 minutes. This leaves room for some power work before hand or additional isolation work following the 'density training'.

Let me know if there is anything else that you would like to brainstorm and I appreciate you bringing the EDT information to my attention.
    No problem about bring up the EDT.

Interesting idea about the workouts sounds like a very good idea as it combines strength, hypertrophy, and conditioning all in one in something that would be a hell of lot funner to do than an EDT workout. Even something as simple as a heavy pressing movement ( say bench press ) then fallow it up with lighter weight DB presses or pushups, A heavy squat fallowed by db lunges, BB row to fat man rows or lighter db rows, military press to db laterals, there are tons of combinations that could be used then like you said fallow it up with some isolation work for weak points or body parts that need to be addressed.

Thanks for posting that Tom, this is something that I will start to add in very soon into my routine.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian999 View Post
    Thank you Tom! I should have been more specific. I like this split:

Monday: Bench & Chins (5x5), Incline Bench & Rows (3x8 or 4x6)
    Wednesday: Squat, SLDL, Box or Front Squat, Lunges, Etc.
    Friday: Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders (FST-7, etc.)

but I also wouldn't mind going to the gym 4-5 days a week. I have been trying to go 4-5 days now to get my cardio in. I can go Monday-Friday I can't on the weekends because I come late from work. In your opinion whats best for maximum hypertrophy. Training 3,4, or 5 days a week?

I would really like to focus primarily on my back, it's been that way since I first started. If you can help me come up with a good routine to help me with my goals that would be great.

The general tips I was looking for was mostly about cardio. I was looking more for a routine that had my cardio also structered into it. I feel like I have my diet, and supplementation down for the most part. I try to shoot for 5-7 meals a day. Now that I'm cutting its high protein and I cycle between low and mid carb. Saturday and Sunday are both cheat days for me and are high carb. I can go in depth in my diet if you'd like but I try to keep it fairly the same so I don't track it on fitday anymore, and I have lost over 20lbs already so I should be doing it right I hope. The only supplements I'm using are RESULTS and Nitrean.

Thanks for your time!
    I would recommend a four day split based on your goals. Here is a program that will specialize your Back training and also includes specific cardio workouts. It sounds like you already have a good handle on your diet and supplements; but if you ever want to tweak those just let me know.

Brian999's Routine:

Template:
    Monday: Back Workout A / Biceps / Cardio
    Tuesday: Chest / Triceps
    Wednesday: Lower Body
    Thursday: Active Recovery / Cardio
    Friday: Back Workout B / Shoulders
    Saturday: Cardio

Specific Workouts:

Monday: (Back Workout A / Biceps)
    - Weighted Chins, 25 singles with minimal rest.
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown (3 Sets of 8)
    - Barbell Curl / Hammer Curl Superset (2-3 Sets)
    - Concentration Curls (2-3 Sets)
    - Cardio: 20 minutes of interval training

Tuesday: (Chest / Triceps)
    - Bench or Bench Variation 5x5 (Flat, Close Grip, Decline, etc.)
    - Weighted Dips (2 Sets)
    - Incline DB Press (3 sets of 8)
    - Floor Press / Board Press (2 Sets)
    - Decline or Cable Flyes (2 sets)
    - BB Extensions, Overhead or Bench (3 sets of 8)
    - Triceps Pushdowns (1 sets of 50)

Thursday: (Active Recovery / Cardio)
    - 30 minutes low intensity Steady State
    - 15 minutes of Plyometrics, Complexes, or Interval Work.

Wednesday: (Lower Body)
    - Squats or Deadlift (3x3)
    - Box Squat or Rack Pull (2 sets of 5)
    - Front Squat or SLDL (3 sets of 8 )
    - Lunges or Leg Press (2 sets, high rep)
    - Calf Raises (3-5 sets)

Friday: (Back Workout B / Shoulders)
    - DB Rows, 12 sets of 2 with mininal rest
    - Hammer Strength Rows (3 sets of 8)
    - Seated DB Military Press (FST-7 or 5x5)
    - Side Raises (3 sets of 8, run the rack on final set)
    - Wide Grip Upright Rows (2 sets)
    - Face Pulls (3 sets of 10-15 reps)

Saturday: (Cardio / Stretching)
    - Cardio (30-45 minutes of complexes, plyometrics, steady state, or interval training)
    - Stretching (10-15 minutes of stretching, etc.)

Please let me know what you think and we can always tune things a bit from here if you want to adjust the amount of training/cardio/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RvNijnatten View Post
    Tom,

Thank you for making that routine for me and i will start using it in a couple of weeks. At the moment i dont have access to a gym and im getting sick of sitting at home doing nothing. Im going to do the complexes you came up with for me, but is there anything else i could do? I will get some adjustable dumbbells but that will probably be it.

Thanks in advance!
    If you wanted to do some workouts at home I would recommend interval training with pushups, pullups, and jumping rope. You can always push your car or do some sprints if you wanted a more intense lower body workout.

Building your conditioning will be helpful for when you start hitting the weights again; and it is always good to take a little time for recovery so I wouldn't worry too much about a week or two out of the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by MPB View Post
    Hey Tom, thanks a lot.

One thing that I'd like to discuss is:

Would it be okay if I do a max effort movement on ME day instead of 5-3-1? I have actually tried 5-3-1 method before. I did it for 6 months and my bench really didn't go anywhere but it actually dropped. It worked pretty good for my squat and military press but not really for the bench. So I'm kind of concerned about giving it another shot.
    You can definitely swap out the 5/3/1 for another protocol on your ME day. Instead of working up to a 1RM on bench press every week maybe you can try a Westside-Type program and work up to psuedo maxes on various lifts alternating from week to week (board press, close grip, floor press, bench press, etc.). Something like a 3x3 program may also be a good option for you if you respond better to lower rep ranges and high intensity.

Another trick that I sometimes use is an ME drop set. I will basically work up to a 2-5 RM and then as soon as I complete that set I pull a quarter or a plate and continue the set. I will usually hit a second drop after that as well. This seems to be great for providing a mix of hypertrophy/conditioning/power.

Keep me posted on your progress and let me know if there is anything else that you would like to discuss with regard to your program or diet/supplements.

Quote Originally Posted by Trepkos01 View Post
    Yeah, on the above progression routine for bb bench, what exactly is the intensity workout? You say to work up to a 2-3RM, do you mean something like, 10, 8, 6, 3? or what?

How do I deload on the 5/3/1 also? I plan on reaching my goals on the 5/3/1 on bench and squat then starting the above routine for those exercises.

Here is my online journal which is updated at the end of each week.

http://wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133564
    If I am working up to a 2-3 RM then my prior sets are relatively low intensity and low volume.

Here is an example of one of my recent workouts:

Close Grip Bench Press:
    Bar x 15, 135 lbs x 7 x 2-3 sets, 185 lbs x 5, 225 lbs x 3 x 2 sets, 275 lbs x 2 x 1-2 sets, 315 lbs x 1
    335 lbs x 6
    275 lbs x 10

Orange = Working sets, sometimes the higher rep set will be a drop set, or sometimes I will stay at a similar weight and try to match the lower reps. This method of warming up allows you to optimize your strength for the max-effort set. If it is a low rep set then I will usually add in higher rep working set afterward for some volume.

The deload on the 5/3/1 is every 4th week.

Week One = 3 sets of 5 (progressive)
    Week Two = 3 sets of 3 (progressive)
    Week Three = Set of 5, Set of 3, Set of 1
    Week Four = Deload

On the final set in each workout you go to failure or at least try to push out 1-2 more reps.

I will stop by your journal; and let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrink View Post
    Hey Tom,

I'm looking to start getting into a hypertrophy routine... I was on starting strength for a long time and went from 155-180 lbs. I would like to change things up, instead of training strictly for strength, I would like more of a combination. My chest is probably one of the weaker points on me right now. I have no limitations to the lifts I can do. I would like to keep the big three incorporated in my new plan, bench, squat, deadlift. Thanks for any help!
    Jtrink -

How many days per week were you looking to train?

There are a couple of routines earlier in this thread (3-Day and 4-Day); were any of those of interest to you? We can always customize onf of the templates for your specific objectives or to include exercises which you prefer.

Please write back to let me know and we should be able to figure something out from there.

Quote Originally Posted by pigout789 View Post
    Hey Tom Great thread man. My question is that the short head of my left bicep is smaller than the outer head and i dont know how to really fix this other than working my biceps. Is there any specific info you can give me on this area. Its a constant nag everytime i look in the mirror. Im on BGB hopeing that the The bicep work would help me out a bit. Do you know any reason this could be happening and if being on BGB will help me out?
    Do you have a photo of your biceps?

The insertion point of your muscles are genetic. Building your biceps may help to balance this out, as well as adding some variation in terms of the grip width and wrist position for back/biceps work.

Hey Tom great thread here lots of information. I wanted to know some info on you though; Have you ever used aas? If so how old were you and many years of training? What types of cycles have you done?
    A: 23
    H: 5'7''
    W: 197 lbs
    ------Instagram: danielsetser
    Bench: 345
    Deadlift: 550
    Squat: 425

Quote Originally Posted by SmallnWeaK View Post
    Right now training is 5/3/1...Ive been looking at Bill Starr Single Factor 5x5 program for awhile now and been wanting to give it a try..So my days would be mon wed fri..What are your thoughts on the 5x5 program??

Right now tho i train sun,mon,wed,fri...My cals are like 4k on the lifting days,400ish carbs,300ish pro,and maybe 60-70ish fats..On my off days i take in around 3200-3500 cals.. i usually drop my carbs down to like 250ish,pro maybe up a little bit more and fats up to make up for the less carbs im taking in.. i do some type of cardio:walking on the tredmill on a incline,sprints,sled drags,tire push,hammer hits..

Does that look like a good way to do it??
    Im just trying to keep up my conditioning level and keep the fat at bay all while getting as big and strong as possible..

thanks tom!
    I have heard a lot of good things about the 5x5 program and it would work well with your schedule (Mon/Wed/Fri).

Your ratios/calories for your diet look good for your goals. Low intensity cardio, interval training, and plyometrics are good all good ways to stay fit without negatively impacting strength gains. Another option would be to simply superset some of your accessory work if you are pressed for time.

Let me know if there is anything that I can help with regarding your program/diet/conditioning/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BCorn View Post
    Tom, I've been using 5x5 rep/set scheme for ohp but seem to be stuck. I was thinking of implementing the 5-3-1 percentages and rep/set protocol to just that lift.....leaving rep/set schemes for all other main lifts and all accessory shoulder lifts the same. Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Overhead press is not a movement where most people make drastic gains, especially without an increase in bodyweight. A lot of poeple have had success with the 5/3/1 progression for OHP. I have personally used a program where I would alternate between Heavy and Volume/Speed workouts from week to week. The 'heavy' workouts would usually be either working up to a 3-5 RM or something like a 3x3. A volume workout would be higher rep range or something like 5-8 sets of speed work (tripples) with lighter weight and minimal rest.

Either option could work well, it just depends on how much structure you want to have in your program.

Hope this helps!

Tom in your opinion do you think someone who is around 20% body fat ( or higher ) and had decent strength ( can bench there weight and squat/dead there weight by 1.5 of there body weight give or take on each lift ) and wanted to drop down alot of body fat in say maybe 4-5 months ( and there diet is in check as that is the biggest part of it ) do you think for faster results they should switch to a hybrid of metabolic based training with some heavy lifting to retain muscle mass, or keep with what routine they are doing what ever it may be ( power lifting or body building etc..). I guess what I am getting at is for some one who does have some solid mass on them is the routine that important in the grand scheme of things or if the diet is in check do you think that in enough ( I also know people are going to lose body fat at different rates this is all generally speaking ).

Thanks Tom.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Set the mood right
    Hi tom, I was wondering if you had a link to that study that found whey before a work out would be useless? Thanks.
    Summer 2009

Height: 6'0
    Weight: 195

B: 335
    S: 340
    D: 495

Stanton,

Here is what I would do in terms of diet:

Breakfest
    - 2 Scoops nitrean and Creatine 500 in cup of power aid or fruit juice (combine creatine/protein/simple carbs)
    - 2 cups Multi grain cheerios or grits or fiber one honey clusters with 12 oz whole milk
    - Piece of fruit.

Meal 2
    - Some type of meat (chicken/steak/turkey/pork)
    - Greek Yogurt
    - Handful of Almonds

Snack:
    - Natural Peanut Butter Sandwich on Wheat Bread

Meal 3
    - Meat (Chicken/Steak)
    - Brown Rice, Green Beans, or other vegetable.

Pre-Workout
    - Scoop of Nitrean with Apple Juice
    - Banana or Dried Apricots

Post-Workout
    - Two Scoops of Nitrean with water
    - 3/4 Cup Oatmeal

Meal 4
    - Meat (Chicken/Steak/Port)
    - Vegetable

Bedtime snack
    - 16 ounces of Skim Milk
    - Greek Yogurt or Protein Powder Pudding

This should put you well over 3,000 calories with plenty of protein. You could even get away with cutting back a couple of the meals and still have enough food to put on mass. Let me know if you would like to tweak things a bit from here.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 02-15-2010 at 04:25 PM.