Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Mutaffis Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
    Well considering im on a calorie restricted diet. Do you think this+a complex+aerobic running+WS4SB is to much?

Im go nna do them on my two rest days on the weekend on and on dynamic lower+repition and rest day. Sound alright? By the way that friend i have that im in compeition just whooped me hardcore on the deadlift...hes a bit better at bench and squat then me, but he is pretty damn good at deadlift, did 295 his first time and he squats 205 for a 3RM, is there like something wrong with him lol?
    It would be too much to do GTG, Complexes, Running, and WS4SB all at once. You should pick and choose the forms of exercise that will provide you with the most benefit (sometimes referred to as training economics). It is important to make sure that you have one day of nothing but rest. From there the number of sessions would depend on volume and intensity but I would probably keep cardio and weight training at 4-5 sessions each per week.

Some people naturally have better leverages for certain lifts. The first time that I bench pressed I could lift well over my bodyweight and the first time that I squatted I could squat more than 2X bodyweight. Usually the deadlift favors individuals who are tall with long arms and a short torso. Have you tried pulling sumo? (if conventional is not comfortable for you).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    It would be too much to do GTG, Complexes, Running, and WS4SB all at once. You should pick and choose the forms of exercise that will provide you with the most benefit (sometimes referred to as training economics). It is important to make sure that you have one day of nothing but rest. From there the number of sessions would depend on volume and intensity but I would probably keep cardio and weight training at 4-5 sessions each per week.

Some people naturally have better leverages for certain lifts. The first time that I bench pressed I could lift well over my bodyweight and the first time that I squatted I could squat more than 2X bodyweight. Usually the deadlift favors individuals who are tall with long arms and a short torso. Have you tried pulling sumo? (if conventional is not comfortable for you).
    I think for now i will focus on losing weight, and doing cardio for atleast a month since it will be easier for me to do bodyweight exercises due to less weigh (obvious), as well as my testing isnt untill june, and im just tired of being fat.

Nah i havent tried sumo, and the deadlift isnt uncomfortable for me, but I DO have really short arms, and a really large torso...ill just keep working at it. Also i have another question, when you perform a deload, do you drop the weight for everything? or just the exerise that is stalled. Im thinking about doing a deload on my bench, which might not be nessecary i might just need another exerise...

Wannabebig Member
    Tom, please check out my online journal and tell me what you think.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...Bulk-Strength-[1-10-10]-[4-3-10]&p=2293864

I Wanna Be Strong(er)
    Hey Tom i have a few questions..

Starting next week i will be starting my 7th cycle..

Sun - 5/3/1 Military press
    Mon - 5/3/1 Deadlift
    Wed - 5/3/1 Bench
    Fri - 5/3/1 Squat

I was wondering what would be a good GPP schedule to fit in with my training week?
    I have the following:Few hundred lb tire,Sled,Keg,Sledge Hammer,Treadmill..

Btw,i am in a bulking phase and just looking to get as big and as strong as possible while keeping the bodyfat at bay and upping my cond. and recovery level..

Also,lately i have been very sore after almost every workout and i do not know why..My sleep is pretty good 6-8 hrs a night,diet is spot on,i do my foam rolling and all that stuff and still will be pretty damn sore for 2 even 3 days sometimes..I have taken a few days off here and there and still it hasnt helped..

Thanks Tom!
    Last edited by T o m m Y; 02-15-2010 at 06:51 PM.
    Get Strong(er)
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...58#post2340758
    "You Were Born Small & Weak....But Nobody Said You Have To Stay That Way"

"Gain weight - this is almost impossible to recommend right now. The whole world is on a skinny jeans kick and visible abs are "in". What is also in-style is not being a narcissitic pussy. Performance trumps looks EVERYTIME. Just ask the next woman you sleep with" Jim Wendler

Strength Coach & Athlete Chase Karnes's Avatar
    Tom,

What do you train to help carryover with truck pull events? (Besides obviously pulling a truck)

I was thinking heavy sled drags using a harness and a lead rope.

Anything else?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Chase Karnes; 02-15-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Hi Tom,

Would like to ask about your views on changing up of order of exercise.

for eg,for my back,i do barbell row,dumbbell row and finish off with lat pulldown.

It is ok if i like do lat pulldown than barbell row,just switching up the order every few weeks.

Thnx.
    Last edited by jumperzz; 02-16-2010 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trepkos01 View Post
    http://www.gymequipment.uk.com/store...lder_Press.jpg

The above is kinda like the machine I do my main shoulder compound lift on with 3x plates on both sides, except the handles come to meet at the top of the lift.

Here is my online journal, check out the 4 week summary to get an idea of my progress and give me your thoughts.

http://wannabebig.com/forums/showthr...83#post2289583
    I have used a similar machine before and will usually throw it in at the end of my workout or as part of a superset (lighter weight, high reps).

After looking through your journal it seems like you have made some good strength gains across the board. Do you keep track of all of your PR's? One thing that I like to do in my journal is to put PR's in bold so that they stand out and are easy to find.

Keep up the good work and let me know if there is anything that I can help you with.

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPete_1999 View Post
    Music to my ears! You are the man.

Looking forward to customizing the program with you.
    Here are a couple of programs that I have put together:

Strongman Hypertrophy Program (8 Week Cycles)

Week One:
    Monday – Chest / Triceps / Shoulders
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Squat Focus, Deadlift Accessory
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Back / Biceps
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday – Strongman (Volume)
    Sunday – Rest

Week Two:
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Deadlift Focus, Squat Accessory
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Back / Biceps
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday – Strongman (Speed)
    Sunday - Rest

Week Three:
    Monday – Chest / Back
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Speed – OLY lifts, Jump Squats
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Biceps / Triceps / Shoulders
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday – Strongman (Power)
    Sunday – Rest

Week Four:
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Squat Variation, Deadlift Accessory
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Back / Biceps
    Friday - Rest
    Sunday - Rest

Week 5 = Repeat Week 1 Workout
    Week 6 = Repeat Week 2 Workout
    Week 7 = Repeat Week 3 Workout

Week 8
    Active recovery activities can be performed such as stretching, walking, swimming, or cycling. Make sure to get plenty of rest and consume an ample amount of protein.

For an idea of what some of the gym workouts look like here is a program with detailed gym training:

Mutaffis Log Press Program:

Template:
    Monday: Back & Pulling
    Tuesday: Pressing (Chest & Triceps)
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Lower Body
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Events
    Sunday: Rest

Specific Workouts:

Back & Pulling:
    - Medium Grip Chins / 5-8 sets of 3-5 reps (60-90 seconds rest between sets)
    - One-Arm DB Rows / 2 sets of 8-20 reps per arm
    - SLDL or Deficit Deadlift / 3x3 @ 70% of 1RM
    - Hang High Pulls / 3 sets of 5 (moderate weight)

Pressing:
    - Light Log Week: Close Grip Bench Press / 6 sets of 4 reps (2-3 minutes rest between sets)
    - Heavy Log Week: Close Grip Bench Press / 4 sets of 6 reps
    - Incline Dumbbell Press / 2 sets of 5-8 reps
    - Dips / 2 sets of 10-15 reps
    - Decline Bench Press / 3 sets of 8-12 reps
    - Pushdowns / 1 set of 75-100 reps

Lower Body:
    - Front Squat / 5 sets of 3 reps
    - SLDL or Deficit Deadlift (whichever you didn’t do on Back day) / 3 sets of 3 @ 70%
    - Leg Press (Feet high on platform) / 2 sets of 25 reps
    - Calf Raises / 3 sets of 20 reps
    - Conditioning & Mobility (optional) / 3-5 sets of Plyometrics, etc.

Events:
    - Light Log Week: 5 sets of 2 (clean once) starting at 75% 1RM and increasing by 5 lbs/wk.
    - Heavy Log Week: 5 singles starting at 95% 1RM and increasing 10 lbs/wk
    - Moving Events & Stones / 2-3 Power Events
    - Conditioning / Sled Drag, High Rep Tire Flip, etc. for 2 sets

*Alternate between Heavy Log Weeks & Light Log Weeks.

Please let me know what you think and we can customize things from there based on your specific objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by danisleet View Post
    Hey Tom great thread here lots of information. I wanted to know some info on you though; Have you ever used aas? If so how old were you and many years of training? What types of cycles have you done?
    If you are looking for advice on AAS I would not be the best resource for that.

I will say that at 20 years old you likely have optimal hormone levels to make great gains. A lot of people look to AAS as a band-aid to try to cover up poor training or diet habbits which could by why you see others who make temporary gains with drugs but then can never maintain them without being enhanced. The advice that I give to most people is that unless you are an advanced lifter you should not even consider drugs, and even then it is important to do extensive research (months) before making a decision.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post
    Tom in your opinion do you think someone who is around 20% body fat ( or higher ) and had decent strength ( can bench there weight and squat/dead there weight by 1.5 of there body weight give or take on each lift ) and wanted to drop down alot of body fat in say maybe 4-5 months ( and there diet is in check as that is the biggest part of it ) do you think for faster results they should switch to a hybrid of metabolic based training with some heavy lifting to retain muscle mass, or keep with what routine they are doing what ever it may be ( power lifting or body building etc..). I guess what I am getting at is for some one who does have some solid mass on them is the routine that important in the grand scheme of things or if the diet is in check do you think that in enough ( I also know people are going to lose body fat at different rates this is all generally speaking ).

Thanks Tom.
    View1 -

I would say that your diet is going to be the number one factor in achieving your goals; but it is also important to have a good training program so that you can maintain your gains. Many people make the mistake of lifting very light or with low intensity while dieting. It is important to continue to train hard/heavy, but simply moderate the overall intensity and volume of your program if you are following a calorie/carbohydrate restricted diet. Changing the rep ranges for your workout will not have that great of an impact on metabolism; adding some HITT or LISS sessions in conjunction with weight training would be the best protocol.

For those who are dieting and looking to maintain strength I will usually suggest 3-4 weight training sessions per week and 4+ cardio sesisons per week (start with 20 mins).

If you would like I can put together a detailed program for you. The only information that I would need is a breakdown of what you are currently doing in terms of training.

Quote Originally Posted by starfox View Post
    Hi tom, I was wondering if you had a link to that study that found whey before a work out would be useless? Thanks.
    I do not recall mentioning a study that found that ingesting whey before training was useless. Do you recall where you might have seen this?

Most of the diets that I put together include some type of protein/carb meal pre-workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
    I think for now i will focus on losing weight, and doing cardio for atleast a month since it will be easier for me to do bodyweight exercises due to less weigh (obvious), as well as my testing isnt untill june, and im just tired of being fat.

Nah i havent tried sumo, and the deadlift isnt uncomfortable for me, but I DO have really short arms, and a really large torso...ill just keep working at it. Also i have another question, when you perform a deload, do you drop the weight for everything? or just the exerise that is stalled. Im thinking about doing a deload on my bench, which might not be nessecary i might just need another exerise...
    It is always good to prioritize your goals; poeople who try to go in too many directions at once usually end up going nowhere.

How you deload depends on the overall training program. If you are following a progressive intensity program for just one exercise then you would only need to deload that specific movement (and any related accessory work). If your program has similar progression for all lifts then you would want to decrease intensity/volume across the board for that week. In the event that you are making consistent gains on your Lower Body and Back movements but have stalled on Pressing then you could just deload your press to see if that will spark some progress.

Hope this helps - good luck with the weight loss/re-comp!

Set the mood right
    I do not recall mentioning a study that found that ingesting whey before training was useless. Do you recall where you might have seen this?

Most of the diets that I put together include some type of protein/carb meal pre-workout.
    I'm pretty sure I saw it here at WBB and not anywhere else but it was along the lines of whey pre work out affecting protein synthesis negatively (perhaps maybe the AAs in whey?), not a protein/ carb (and you've very much correct for doing that!). I figured if it was here, you'd have seen it, haha.
    Summer 2009

Height: 6'0
    Weight: 195

B: 335
    S: 340
    D: 495

Wannabebig Member
    Hey, Tom, Didn't have a great chest day today on my dumbbell oriented lifts. I was wondering if I should start looking into the deloading process, but I have no idea how to deload.

For example, should I deload like this?
    - Decrease weight by 10-15lbs to where it is 10-15lbs heavier than where you started. Like somewhat in between and focus on increasing from that point onwards until you stall again? For example:

I started doing decline db presses at 65lbs. Now I've done them at 80-85lbs.
    Should I decrease to 75lbs and then move up 5lbs a week until I stall again?

I would do this for the following exercises that I have seemed to stall on.
    DB Decline Presses: Decrease to 75lbs.
    Inclined DB Presses: Decrease to 65lbs.

Concentrate on increasing 5lbs a week, and getting past the 85lb mark on decline, and the 75lb mark on inclined.

Another exercise I have stalled on is Tbar rows, which I have stalled at around 135lbs - 145lbs. My approach to breaking through this is alternating Tbar and BB rows every week. I have also stalled on BB curls and concentration curls, should I deload to 85-90lbs on BB curls? I am thinking of switching to one-arm preacher curls instead of standard sitting concentration curls.

I am just looking at ways to effectively deload to keep a steady increase in strength, I am completely new to the subject and have mainly be using the following strategy.
    Effectively increase weight as long as I can, then if I can not any longer, just keep at the current highest strength level, unfortunately it would seem that this sometimes leads to me not being able to maintain the strength level. For example, I got decline db press up to 85lbsx8, the next week I can only do 85lbsx6, the next week 85lbsx5. Is this a sign that I need to look into deloading and progressing from there?

Quote Originally Posted by T o m m Y View Post
    Hey Tom i have a few questions..

Starting next week i will be starting my 7th cycle..

Sun - 5/3/1 Military press
    Mon - 5/3/1 Deadlift
    Wed - 5/3/1 Bench
    Fri - 5/3/1 Squat

I was wondering what would be a good GPP schedule to fit in with my training week?
    I have the following:Few hundred lb tire,Sled,Keg,Sledge Hammer,Treadmill..

Btw,i am in a bulking phase and just looking to get as big and as strong as possible while keeping the bodyfat at bay and upping my cond. and recovery level..

Also,lately i have been very sore after almost every workout and i do not know why..My sleep is pretty good 6-8 hrs a night,diet is spot on,i do my foam rolling and all that stuff and still will be pretty damn sore for 2 even 3 days sometimes..I have taken a few days off here and there and still it hasnt helped..

Thanks Tom!
    Tommy,

What do you currently do in terms of accessory work on your squat and deadlift days? Usually I recommend that conditioning workouts are paired with upper body training but sometimes they can also be incorporated with your accessory work. It sounds like you have all of the necessary tools for GPP building and since your primary focus is building size/strenght I would probably limit your conditioning work to (2) 20 minute sessions per week for now; especially considering the recovery problems.

With recard to the soreness, how is your diet (calories/protein)? Also, do you do any type of warmup/cooldown/stretching with your workouts? And do you perform any type of active recovery on your off days?

Getting enough sleep is obviously important, but I believe that nutrition is equally as important when it comes to recovery. Another factor in overall recovery is your stress level (work/school/relationships/etc.).

If you can give me a bit more info we can come up with a protocol to help increase your recovery and also to add in some conditioning work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Karnes View Post
    Tom,

What do you train to help carryover with truck pull events? (Besides obviously pulling a truck)

I was thinking heavy sled drags using a harness and a lead rope.

Anything else?

Thanks!
    Hey Chase -

For truck pull training I would recommend some heavy / high rep calf raises as well as some lactic acid tolerance training for lower body (high rep breathing squats / high rep leg press / etc.). If you have access to a power runner it is a great tool for training the truck pull; but not many gyms have them.

It is hard to make a sled heavy enough to simulate a large truck, but dragging a moderate weight tire (250-400 lbs depending on surface) will provide quite a challenge.

One of the most important things in the truck pull is your footwear. I tried to pull a truck with a trailer once while wearing regular hiking/cross trainer shoes and could not even budge it. Once I put on some rock climbing shoes I was able to get the vehicle moving fairly easily. You can find rock climbing shoes at Eastern Mountain Sports, any specialty hiking/climing store, or even on Ebay. They are $20-50 but will make a drastic difference on any truck pull event. These are the shoes that you see everyone at WSM wearing.

For the lead rope portion of the event you could practice with some arm-over-arm pulls. Anchor yourself in a parking lot with a parking block or curb and then throw some weights on a sled and tie the rope to the sled. Drag the sled to yourself using your arms/back/legs (doing these with less weight while using just your arms would give you the most carryvoer to actual truck pull since your upper body will be in a fixed position during the event).

Hope this helps! When are you competing again?

I Wanna Be Strong(er)
    Tommy,

What do you currently do in terms of accessory work on your squat and deadlift days? Usually I recommend that conditioning workouts are paired with upper body training but sometimes they can also be incorporated with your accessory work. It sounds like you have all of the necessary tools for GPP building and since your primary focus is building size/strenght I would probably limit your conditioning work to (2) 20 minute sessions per week for now; especially considering the recovery problems.

With recard to the soreness, how is your diet (calories/protein)? Also, do you do any type of warmup/cooldown/stretching with your workouts? And do you perform any type of active recovery on your off days?

Getting enough sleep is obviously important, but I believe that nutrition is equally as important when it comes to recovery. Another factor in overall recovery is your stress level (work/school/relationships/etc.).

If you can give me a bit more info we can come up with a protocol to help increase your recovery and also to add in some conditioning work.
    Good Mornings,Pull Throughs,Pulldown Abs on Deadlift Days
    Leg Press,Leg Curl,Abs on Squat Day
    Pull Up,Weighted Dips,Face Pull,Neck Machine on Military Press Days
    Db Bench,Db Rows,Power Shrug on Bench Day

Sets are anywhere from 3-5 but mostly 5 sets of anywhere from 8-15 reps,depends how im feeling that day..

Diet is pretty good i think..I take in anywhere from 3500-4000 cals..Pro is always in the 300's,carbs are usually like 400 on lifting days and 250-300 on non lifting days..Yeah i do dynamic warms ups before lower and upper body days and foam roll and constrast shower when i get home..Yes on my off days i will do band work and light db work to the area that i worked the perv workout to get some blood flowing..also,will jump on the treadmill for 30 mins...

Thanks Tom!
    Last edited by T o m m Y; 02-16-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    Get Strong(er)
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...58#post2340758
    "You Were Born Small & Weak....But Nobody Said You Have To Stay That Way"

"Gain weight - this is almost impossible to recommend right now. The whole world is on a skinny jeans kick and visible abs are "in". What is also in-style is not being a narcissitic pussy. Performance trumps looks EVERYTIME. Just ask the next woman you sleep with" Jim Wendler

Wannabebig Member
    Strongman Hypertrophy Program (8 Week Cycles)

Week One:
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Squat Focus, Deadlift Accessory
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Back / Biceps
    Friday - Rest
    Sunday – Rest

Week Two:
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Deadlift Focus, Squat Accessory
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Back / Biceps
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday – Strongman (Speed)
    Sunday - Rest

Week Three:
    Monday – Chest / Back
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Speed – OLY lifts, Jump Squats
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Biceps / Triceps / Shoulders
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday – Strongman (Power)
    Sunday – Rest

Week Four:
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Squat Variation, Deadlift Accessory
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Back / Biceps
    Friday - Rest
    Sunday - Rest

Week 5 = Repeat Week 1 Workout
    Week 6 = Repeat Week 2 Workout
    Week 7 = Repeat Week 3 Workout

Week 8
    Active recovery activities can be performed such as stretching, walking, swimming, or cycling. Make sure to get plenty of rest and consume an ample amount of protein.

Please let me know what you think and we can customize things from there based on your specific objectives.
    I love the first program you listed out. It's perfectly geared to what I'm looking for which is to add size and strength. Can we work on details for each day during the week? I'm just nervous about doing too much or too little. I got the strongman event day set.

Thanks again!

Strength Coach & Athlete Chase Karnes's Avatar
    Hey Chase -

For truck pull training I would recommend some heavy / high rep calf raises as well as some lactic acid tolerance training for lower body (high rep breathing squats / high rep leg press / etc.). If you have access to a power runner it is a great tool for training the truck pull; but not many gyms have them.

It is hard to make a sled heavy enough to simulate a large truck, but dragging a moderate weight tire (250-400 lbs depending on surface) will provide quite a challenge.

One of the most important things in the truck pull is your footwear. I tried to pull a truck with a trailer once while wearing regular hiking/cross trainer shoes and could not even budge it. Once I put on some rock climbing shoes I was able to get the vehicle moving fairly easily. You can find rock climbing shoes at Eastern Mountain Sports, any specialty hiking/climing store, or even on Ebay. They are $20-50 but will make a drastic difference on any truck pull event. These are the shoes that you see everyone at WSM wearing.

For the lead rope portion of the event you could practice with some arm-over-arm pulls. Anchor yourself in a parking lot with a parking block or curb and then throw some weights on a sled and tie the rope to the sled. Drag the sled to yourself using your arms/back/legs (doing these with less weight while using just your arms would give you the most carryvoer to actual truck pull since your upper body will be in a fixed position during the event).

Hope this helps! When are you competing again?
    Thanks for the advice Tom.

I think I'll be competing in April in Fulton, MO. Then possibly 1 or 2 more before Nationals in November.

View1 -

I would say that your diet is going to be the number one factor in achieving your goals; but it is also important to have a good training program so that you can maintain your gains. Many people make the mistake of lifting very light or with low intensity while dieting. It is important to continue to train hard/heavy, but simply moderate the overall intensity and volume of your program if you are following a calorie/carbohydrate restricted diet. Changing the rep ranges for your workout will not have that great of an impact on metabolism; adding some HITT or LISS sessions in conjunction with weight training would be the best protocol.

For those who are dieting and looking to maintain strength I will usually suggest 3-4 weight training sessions per week and 4+ cardio sesisons per week (start with 20 mins).

If you would like I can put together a detailed program for you. The only information that I would need is a breakdown of what you are currently doing in terms of training.
    In regards to what I am doing now here is the break down.

Diet is carb cyclying with low and high days ( 50-60 on low days - about 150 on high days, carbs are all low gi carbs except for post workout ) and take in 1 gram of protien per bodyweight ( I am 258 ) rest of diet is veggies and healthy fats, I have about 2 cheat meals a week but I make sure they are not way over the top.

I lift 4 days a week on a push, pull legs rotation so every 3rd week one body part get hits twice. I lowered my overal volume so the workouts last about 30 minutes, 2 exercises for big muscle groups ( chest, back, legs ) and one maybe two with smaller groups ( less sets with smaller groups ) and rep ranges are between 5-10 depending on how I feel that day ( while I always want to lift more than last week if I am having an off day I will take it easy if its a good day I will push a little harder if I feel beat up I will deload, I really try to listen to my body ).

Monday - push
    Tuesday - pull
    Thursday - legs
    Friday - push

the next week would be this and etc etc...

Monday - pull
    Tuesday - legs
    Thursday - push
    Friday - pull

I do cardio after every workout either hiit or liss cardio ( 2 of each type per week ) I have slowy worked my way up to hiit and each week slowy take up the intensity on both. I plan to start jumping rope on my off days as well starting next week.

The post you made in regards to your Strongman Hypertrophy Program gave me an idea as well, as if fat loss starts to stall I could use that same tempelte but switch the strongman days to conditiong days which wold just be complexes and or metabolic training.

Alwyn Cosgrove has some great ideas on fat loss and he has a newer variation on circuit training called Metabolic Acceleration Training that he wrote about and has worked wonders with helping his clents lose body fat. So I would try that along with the complexes.

Here is a link ( its the first one as later he talks about other forms to lose weight )
    http://stanford.wellsphere.com/exerc...osgrove/535984

Overall how does it sound to you? Any suggestions or tweaks?
    Last edited by View 1; 02-17-2010 at 02:10 PM.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm Astreocclu's friend and I have a bit of an issue. I was doing WS4SB and gained a fair bit of muscle and a lot on my lifts and such then I hit a problem.

I tore my MCL

I was wondering if there's some sort of modified version of lifting I could do so I don't lose leg strength. The doctor said I should not do ANY lifts that apply to my legs, and my body is sort of telling me the same thing because whenever I do deadlifts my right knee feels like it's gonna pop out.

I basically just don't wanna lose all the progress I've made thus far with working out because of my stupid knee. If there's anything you can do to help it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Counterweight; 02-17-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Thank you Tom
    I really appreciate your time.

Hey Tom I've a bench comp coming up in about a month do you think that the "up your bench press 30lbs 30days" would be the best way to prepare?
    A: 23
    H: 5'7''
    W: 197 lbs
    ------Instagram: danielsetser
    Bench: 345
    Deadlift: 550
    Squat: 425

Garage Lifter
    Tom,

If you were to include grip training into the 5/3/1 program what day would you put it on? I train each lift on its own day and train 4 days per week. I'm thinking of putting it on deadlift day after the main lift. This is also the only session that I take 2 days off after for better recovery.

Thanks in advance,
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by jumperzz View Post
    Hi Tom,

Would like to ask about your views on changing up of order of exercise.

for eg,for my back,i do barbell row,dumbbell row and finish off with lat pulldown.

It is ok if i like do lat pulldown than barbell row,just switching up the order every few weeks.

Thnx.
    I like to change up the order of exercises every few workouts; variation and priotization are always good.

Do you perform the same number of reps/sets for all movements?