Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Mutaffis Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by starfox View Post
    I'm pretty sure I saw it here at WBB and not anywhere else but it was along the lines of whey pre work out affecting protein synthesis negatively (perhaps maybe the AAs in whey?), not a protein/ carb (and you've very much correct for doing that!). I figured if it was here, you'd have seen it, haha.
    No worries, I do not recall seeing anything like that but will keep an eye out for it.

These studies appear to address pre/post-workout nutrition:

Tipton KD, Rasmussen BB, Miller SL, Wolf SE, Owens-Stovall SK, Petrini BE, Wolfe RR. Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Aug;281(2):E197-206

Tipton KD, Borsheim E, Wolf SE, Sanford AP, Wolfe RR. Acute response of net muscle protein balance reflects 24-h balance after exercise and amino acid ingestion. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Jan;284(1):E76-89.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trepkos01 View Post
    Hey, Tom, Didn't have a great chest day today on my dumbbell oriented lifts. I was wondering if I should start looking into the deloading process, but I have no idea how to deload.

For example, should I deload like this?
    - Decrease weight by 10-15lbs to where it is 10-15lbs heavier than where you started. Like somewhat in between and focus on increasing from that point onwards until you stall again? For example:

I started doing decline db presses at 65lbs. Now I've done them at 80-85lbs.
    Should I decrease to 75lbs and then move up 5lbs a week until I stall again?

I would do this for the following exercises that I have seemed to stall on.
    DB Decline Presses: Decrease to 75lbs.
    Inclined DB Presses: Decrease to 65lbs.

Concentrate on increasing 5lbs a week, and getting past the 85lb mark on decline, and the 75lb mark on inclined.

Another exercise I have stalled on is Tbar rows, which I have stalled at around 135lbs - 145lbs. My approach to breaking through this is alternating Tbar and BB rows every week. I have also stalled on BB curls and concentration curls, should I deload to 85-90lbs on BB curls? I am thinking of switching to one-arm preacher curls instead of standard sitting concentration curls.

I am just looking at ways to effectively deload to keep a steady increase in strength, I am completely new to the subject and have mainly be using the following strategy.
    Effectively increase weight as long as I can, then if I can not any longer, just keep at the current highest strength level, unfortunately it would seem that this sometimes leads to me not being able to maintain the strength level. For example, I got decline db press up to 85lbsx8, the next week I can only do 85lbsx6, the next week 85lbsx5. Is this a sign that I need to look into deloading and progressing from there?
    If your progress is stalling then a deload followed by a new training cycle sounds like a good solution. To deload simply means to work with lighter weights / lower intensity / lower volume for a period of time; usually one week. A training cycle is a set progression for a set period of time.

For a deload week you can perform the same exercises but the objective is to give your body a break and allow for recovery. I would go with about 50% of your current working weights and keep the reps in the 10-15 range.

The new training cycle can start off about 10% lower in terms of your lifts and then you can work with a similar progression scheme; eventually surpassing previous PR's. This will provide you with a template for long-term consistent gains.

Please let me know what you think and if there is anything else that you would like to discuss.

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by T o m m Y View Post
    Good Mornings,Pull Throughs,Pulldown Abs on Deadlift Days
    Leg Press,Leg Curl,Abs on Squat Day
    Pull Up,Weighted Dips,Face Pull,Neck Machine on Military Press Days
    Db Bench,Db Rows,Power Shrug on Bench Day

Sets are anywhere from 3-5 but mostly 5 sets of anywhere from 8-15 reps,depends how im feeling that day..

Diet is pretty good i think..I take in anywhere from 3500-4000 cals..Pro is always in the 300's,carbs are usually like 400 on lifting days and 250-300 on non lifting days..Yeah i do dynamic warms ups before lower and upper body days and foam roll and constrast shower when i get home..Yes on my off days i will do band work and light db work to the area that i worked the perv workout to get some blood flowing..also,will jump on the treadmill for 30 mins...

Thanks Tom!
    It looks like you would have room for conditioning work on your Squat, Deadlift, or Bench day. One thing that you can do to link the two together would be to throw in some circuits as part of your accessory work. Something like a modified EDT session to finish off that bodypart can be a great way to work on your conditioning without sacrificing muscle or strength gains.

Which day out of your squat and deadlift days do you feel is currently more challenging?

Your diet seems to be on track. What do you do for your pre/post-workout protocol?

I have also found that stretching can be good for reducing soreness when used in conjunction with active recovery techniques, foam rolling, and contrast showers.

Ok, I am here once again;

I am starting to doubt my deadlift; I have an amateur bodybuilder in my gym who said that my form is correct. But i haven't seen him in a while now and i'm kinda starting to doubt myself, because everywhere i read that it works your upper body as well etc..but i don't really feel it in my upper body..i feel my lower back getting "tighter" for about a minute after i preformed my reps, but that's about it..Maybe it's my grip? I've tried shoulder widthe, i've tried wide grip..the only places i somewhat feel "tight" are my quads and my lower back.

Is it a bad thing to work chest and back on the same day? Because, i don't really have alot of time lately and i already tried it once last week, first time, i was quite fatigued, but i guess that's normal..I was just wondering if it's a bad combination, because i've read all sorts of things about, some say it's good, but demanding, others say it's bad.. so i'm rather confused.. i was thinking about switching it up so i don't neglect one of the two, for example week 1 start with back finish with chest, week 2 start with chest, finish with back..I'm just experimenting now, but i could use some advice.

I was also concidering doing.. back/triceps & chest/biceps..but yeah i'm still confused, because alot of people are saying if you work your arms twice you slow down your progress..so yeah..haha
    Last edited by Shemz; 03-03-2010 at 06:59 AM.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Tom, upmost respect for you and all you're doing. I've been working out Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, then doing some cardio/light stuff Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Is there any way to make this sort of system work? I work Friday-Monday and it's easy to hit the gym here at work on those days. For right now at least. I'm going to start with a strength trainer, hopefully here next week and could do Thurs-Sat-Monday split but for now, if something happens and I don't get to start with him can I make 4 days in a row work? I've been lifting and doing cardio on the same days, but want to maximize my returns of course.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Hey Tom whats up ive got a question. Say a weightlifter who wants to do a routine soley for the arms to get bigger say in a 12 week period what would the routine look like? Would the arms just be worked more and the rest of the body just put on maintnence? Thanks for your time sir.
    Height: 5,11
    Weight: 194 (Dieting to 9-10% BF )
    BF%: 13

The only thing wrong in this world is religon.

-Kevin

Why doesn't God heal amputees?

Wannabebig Member
    Tom,

I was thinking of possibly splitting my two set exercises into two different concepts.

1 set could be power, 5-8 reps, maximum weight(fast)
    2nd set could be tension, 10-12 reps(slow, focusing on contraction)

Also I pulled the muscle that starts at my armpit and fans throughout my left pectoral region, mainly the top and upper side. I usually pull this from going up in weight in dips too fast, which I did Friday where I jumped to 90lbs fast. The last time this happened, I had to move down in weight on dips for a week, to let it recover. But wow, it really was painful to bench this Tuesday, I couldn't go completely heavy on the bb bench due to the pressure building up on that injury was getting scarily close to possibly injuring it worse. DB bench and etc went pretty fine, though the pain was there, the weight was light enough from the deload that it didn't particularly feel too dangerous.
    Last edited by Trepkos01; 03-02-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Tom,
    In an upcoming strongman competition, one of the events is the car squat. I have a pretty solid back squat, but was wondering if there would/should be any specific way I should train for it. It is a different movement than the traditional squat because it seems that it is about a half squat with a touch and go at the bottom. Would just training the back and front squat normally be sufficient, or should I incorporate other movements that might better simulate it?

Thanks,

Evan

Strongman Hypertrophy Program (8 Week Cycles)

Week One:
    Monday – Chest / Triceps / Shoulders
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Squat Focus, Deadlift Accessory
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Back / Biceps
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday – Strongman (Volume)
    Sunday – Rest

Week Two:
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Deadlift Focus, Squat Accessory
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Back / Biceps
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday – Strongman (Speed)
    Sunday - Rest

Week Three:
    Monday – Chest / Back
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Speed – OLY lifts, Jump Squats
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Biceps / Triceps / Shoulders
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday – Strongman (Power)
    Sunday – Rest

Week Four:
    Tuesday – Lower Body / Squat Variation, Deadlift Accessory
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday – Back / Biceps
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday – Strongman (Volume)
    Sunday - Rest

Week 5 = Repeat Week 1 Workout
    Week 6 = Repeat Week 2 Workout
    Week 7 = Repeat Week 3 Workout

Week 8:
    Active recovery activities can be performed such as stretching, walking, swimming, or cycling. Make sure to get plenty of rest and consume an ample amount of protein.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPete_1999 View Post
    I love the first program you listed out. It's perfectly geared to what I'm looking for which is to add size and strength. Can we work on details for each day during the week? I'm just nervous about doing too much or too little. I got the strongman event day set.

Thanks again!
    Pete,

Some of the gym training depends on specific factors such as current strength levels, diet/rest, and performance enhancers. I can give you some general guidelines though.

Gym Training Workout:
    - Warmup (Low Intensity) 4-8 Sets
    - Primary Movement (Heavy / High Intensity) 1-3 Sets
    - Superset [Primary/Accessory] (Moderate-High Intensity) 2 Sets
    - Accessory Work [1-3 exercises] 5-10 Sets

Here is what a 'Pressing' session might look like:

Advanced Gym 'Pressing' Workout:
    - Warmup: Triceps Pushdown (light), 2 sets / 10-15 reps. Incline DB Press 30 lbs x 10, 50 lbs x 7, 80 lbs x 4, 100 lbs x 2, 115 lbs x 2, 135 lbs x 2.
    - Primary Movement: Incline DB Press 160 lbs x 3, 145 lbs x 7 / 85 lbs x 7 (drop set)
    - SuperSet: Close Grip Bench Press / Weighted Dips, 295 lbs x 5 / BW + 45 lbs x 10 - 2 Sets
    - Accessory Movements: Standing Military Press, 185 lbs x 5 x 3 sets. DB Flyes 45 lbs x 12 x 3 sets, Lateral Raises 20 lbs x 15 x 2 sets, Bench Press 225 lbs x 15.

One thing to be careful of is that you do not overtrain. There are only three gym sessions per week so you can push the volume/intensity a bit, but with the strongman workout you also need to be aware of recovery. You will see that this program provides for a lot of variation in terms of movements, rep ranges, intensity; and even incorporates some bodybuilding techniques.

Hope this helps; please let me know if you would like to write up something specific for you.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPete_1999 View Post
    Pete,

Some of the gym training depends on specific factors such as current strength levels, diet/rest, and performance enhancers. I can give you some general guidelines though.

Gym Training Workout:
    - Warmup (Low Intensity) 4-8 Sets
    - Primary Movement (Heavy / High Intensity) 1-3 Sets
    - Superset [Primary/Accessory] (Moderate-High Intensity) 2 Sets
    - Accessory Work [1-3 exercises] 5-10 Sets

Here is what a 'Pressing' session might look like:

Advanced Gym 'Pressing' Workout:
    - Warmup: Triceps Pushdown (light), 2 sets / 10-15 reps. Incline DB Press 30 lbs x 10, 50 lbs x 7, 80 lbs x 4, 100 lbs x 2, 115 lbs x 2, 135 lbs x 2.
    - Primary Movement: Incline DB Press 160 lbs x 3, 145 lbs x 7 / 85 lbs x 7 (drop set)
    - SuperSet: Close Grip Bench Press / Weighted Dips, 295 lbs x 5 / BW + 45 lbs x 10 - 2 Sets
    - Accessory Movements: Standing Military Press, 185 lbs x 5 x 3 sets. DB Flyes 45 lbs x 12 x 3 sets, Lateral Raises 20 lbs x 15 x 2 sets, Bench Press 225 lbs x 15.

One thing to be careful of is that you do not overtrain. There are only three gym sessions per week so you can push the volume/intensity a bit, but with the strongman workout you also need to be aware of recovery. You will see that this program provides for a lot of variation in terms of movements, rep ranges, intensity; and even incorporates some bodybuilding techniques.

Hope this helps; please let me know if you would like to write up something specific for you.
    Hi Tom,

Thank you for your information. It's different from what I thought. You wrote down some examples using different variations, and I find it little hard for me to come up with a program on my own.

It would be great if you could come up with a program for me and newbies that can benefit from this since this program is different weekly with bodyparts/speed change ups.

I'd be happy to give you additional information about myself if that would help you write up a more solid program.

And again thank you for all your help!

Pete
    Last edited by PistolPete_1999; 03-04-2010 at 07:08 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Tom,

Finally reached my goal of 115lb for BB curls but i find that the weight places a lot of pressure on my wrists. Could this be because of lack of fore-arm development?

Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post
    In regards to what I am doing now here is the break down.

Diet is carb cyclying with low and high days ( 50-60 on low days - about 150 on high days, carbs are all low gi carbs except for post workout ) and take in 1 gram of protien per bodyweight ( I am 258 ) rest of diet is veggies and healthy fats, I have about 2 cheat meals a week but I make sure they are not way over the top.

I lift 4 days a week on a push, pull legs rotation so every 3rd week one body part get hits twice. I lowered my overal volume so the workouts last about 30 minutes, 2 exercises for big muscle groups ( chest, back, legs ) and one maybe two with smaller groups ( less sets with smaller groups ) and rep ranges are between 5-10 depending on how I feel that day ( while I always want to lift more than last week if I am having an off day I will take it easy if its a good day I will push a little harder if I feel beat up I will deload, I really try to listen to my body ).

Monday - push
    Tuesday - pull
    Thursday - legs
    Friday - push

the next week would be this and etc etc...

Monday - pull
    Tuesday - legs
    Thursday - push
    Friday - pull

I do cardio after every workout either hiit or liss cardio ( 2 of each type per week ) I have slowy worked my way up to hiit and each week slowy take up the intensity on both. I plan to start jumping rope on my off days as well starting next week.

The post you made in regards to your Strongman Hypertrophy Program gave me an idea as well, as if fat loss starts to stall I could use that same tempelte but switch the strongman days to conditiong days which wold just be complexes and or metabolic training.

Alwyn Cosgrove has some great ideas on fat loss and he has a newer variation on circuit training called Metabolic Acceleration Training that he wrote about and has worked wonders with helping his clents lose body fat. So I would try that along with the complexes.

Here is a link ( its the first one as later he talks about other forms to lose weight )
    http://stanford.wellsphere.com/exerc...osgrove/535984

Overall how does it sound to you? Any suggestions or tweaks?
    Your current program looks good. I also like the idea of using the Strongman Hypertrophy template and swapping the events day for a 'conditioning day'. The conditioning workout could include things like plyometrics, barbell complexes, and standard GPP. If you wanted something simple you could even just look up some Crossfit workouts as they would work well for this purpose.

I read through the article from Alwyn Cosgrove and it looks like there are some good ideas there; esentially a variation of interval training. The one thing that I would be careful of with intense cardio interval training is that you allow for enough recovery. It is possible for intense conditioning to lead you into overtraining when coupled with intense weight training programs.

It has been a couple of weeks since your initial post - have you made good progress so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Counterweight View Post
    I'm Astreocclu's friend and I have a bit of an issue. I was doing WS4SB and gained a fair bit of muscle and a lot on my lifts and such then I hit a problem.

I tore my MCL

I was wondering if there's some sort of modified version of lifting I could do so I don't lose leg strength. The doctor said I should not do ANY lifts that apply to my legs, and my body is sort of telling me the same thing because whenever I do deadlifts my right knee feels like it's gonna pop out.

I basically just don't wanna lose all the progress I've made thus far with working out because of my stupid knee. If there's anything you can do to help it would be greatly appreciated.
    Counterweight -

Sorry for the delayed response. If you have sustained an injury the best thing that you can do is fully rehabilitate your injury before trying to push things in the gym. Strength will come back quickly but if you try to train through an injury you could end up doing more harm than good.

I would just focus on your physical therapy program and perhaps look into knee supports for when you are ready to return to training. Your Doctor should be able to recommend braces for athletes, and if he cannot then ask for a referral to a sports physician assuming that your medical coverage will take care of it (can be quite expensive).

You may also want to try swimming since it is very low impact and should allow you to keep your muscles active without causing further injury to your knee.

Hope this helps. Patience is key when you are rehabbing an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by danisleet View Post
    Hey Tom I've a bench comp coming up in about a month do you think that the "up your bench press 30lbs 30days" would be the best way to prepare?
    The 'Up Your Bench Press 30 lbs in 30 Days Program' is good for specialization and should work well for a dedicated intermediate lifter. If you are currently benching 2X bodyweight or more then you may run into some recovery problems as it is fair amount of volume; but that can be made up for with rest/diet/supplements.

Along with a specialized program I would check to see if you can work with anyone who has a lot of powerlifting knowledge and can help you to tweak your technique. In many cases one hour of technique work can yield 15-25 lbs.

On top of the training and technique work there are some things that you can do to help ensure a PR at the meet. I wrote an article 'So You Want To Hit a PR' with a few tips:

So You Want To Hit a PR? - Tom Mutaffis

Let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with for your meet. There are also some great benchers on this board who you may want to contact for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Tom,

If you were to include grip training into the 5/3/1 program what day would you put it on? I train each lift on its own day and train 4 days per week. I'm thinking of putting it on deadlift day after the main lift. This is also the only session that I take 2 days off after for better recovery.

Thanks in advance,
    StLRPh -

What exercises are you using for the 5/3/1?

I would not worry much about recovery for your grip training as long as you are not training it 1-2 days before your deadlift session. What movements do you plan to use for grip training?

Please let me know and we can put together an effective grip training program from there.

Garage Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    StLRPh -
    What exercises are you using for the 5/3/1?
    I would not worry much about recovery for your grip training as long as you are not training it 1-2 days before your deadlift session. What movements do you plan to use for grip training?
    Please let me know and we can put together an effective grip training program from there.
    For 5/3/1 I do:
    Day 1
    OH Press 5/3/1
    French Press
    Push Jerk
    DB Rows with a 2 inch thick DB

Day 2
    Deadlift 5/3/1
    Deadlift Assistance (not sure what yet)
    GMs
    Side Bends w/ 2 inch thick DB
    Grippers-light repitition work

Day 3
    off

Day 4
    Bench Press 5/3/1
    Bench Press w/ 3 sec pause at bottom
    Barbell Rows w/ supinated grip
    Push Press

Day 5
    Squats 5/3/1
    ATG Squats (no belt, no wraps) with pause at bottom
    Grippers - ME work
    Rolling Thunder - ME work
    Sumo Deadlift

I have:
    CoC Grippers: Sport, Guide, Trainer, #1 and #2 (I'm about a half-inch from closing the #1, its about 10 years old and I think its a little harder than the listed weight b/c I have no problem with the Trainer for higher reps,its new)
    Hardy Handshake
    Rolling Thunder Handle
    2 inch thick DB handles

My goal for grip is mostly to be able to close the #2 eventually and to get a Rolling Thunder deadlift of 150lbs+ (I've gotten triples with 100lbs lately).

My log has some grip training it as well. I'm open to pretty much anything.
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Matt
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Your current program looks good. I also like the idea of using the Strongman Hypertrophy template and swapping the events day for a 'conditioning day'. The conditioning workout could include things like plyometrics, barbell complexes, and standard GPP. If you wanted something simple you could even just look up some Crossfit workouts as they would work well for this purpose.

I read through the article from Alwyn Cosgrove and it looks like there are some good ideas there; esentially a variation of interval training. The one thing that I would be careful of with intense cardio interval training is that you allow for enough recovery. It is possible for intense conditioning to lead you into overtraining when coupled with intense weight training programs.

It has been a couple of weeks since your initial post - have you made good progress so far?
    So far I am down 12 pounds and 2 inches off my waist line. I went back to just hitting the weights 3 times a week ( push/pull/legs ) and trying to improve my work capacity. I think that you are right too that when I do add in the conditioning day just keep it at complexes, GPP etc..

One question I do have is do you think I should add in the conditioning day now or wait? Im at the gym 4 days a week anyway ( 3 weight lifting days, and a 4th hiit & core day ) and I have been considering it, just starting simple and easy and working my way up to harder workouts as conditioning improves.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    Ok, I am here once again;

I am starting to doubt my deadlift; I have an amateur bodybuilder in my gym who said that my form is correct. But i haven't seen him in a while now and i'm kinda starting to doubt myself, because everywhere i read that it works your upper body as well etc..but i don't really feel it in my upper body..i feel my lower back getting "tighter" for about a minute after i preformed my reps, but that's about it..Maybe it's my grip? I've tried shoulder widthe, i've tried wide grip..the only places i somewhat feel "tight" are my quads and my lower back.

Is it a bad thing to work chest and back on the same day? Because, i don't really have alot of time lately and i already tried it once last week, first time, i was quite fatigued, but i guess that's normal..I was just wondering if it's a bad combination, because i've read all sorts of things about, some say it's good, but demanding, others say it's bad.. so i'm rather confused.. i was thinking about switching it up so i don't neglect one of the two, for example week 1 start with back finish with chest, week 2 start with chest, finish with back..I'm just experimenting now, but i could use some advice.

I was also concidering doing.. back/triceps & chest/biceps..but yeah i'm still confused, because alot of people are saying if you work your arms twice you slow down your progress..so yeah..haha
    Sorry for the delayed response, things have been busy.

With regard to the deadlift if you are looking to incorporate it for bodybuilding purposes I would do rack pulls, there is less risk for injury and they will allow you to really overload your back while involving less lower body. If you wanted to focus on lower body then I would recommend trap bar deadlift; they will isolate your legs and also are less likely to cause injury.

Training Chest and Back on the same day can be tough. Both are relatively large muscle groups and can handle a bit of volume. If your frequency is greater than once per week then it could work out well - but otherwise I would probably group things differently and go with a Push/Pull Split instead. Another option if you wanted to continue with the Chest/Back split would be as you suggested, alternating between the primary (first) movement from week-to-week.

What is your current overall split (Day / Muscle Groups) and how many days per week are you interested in training? I can write something up for you from there.

Sorry for the delayed response, things have been busy.

With regard to the deadlift if you are looking to incorporate it for bodybuilding purposes I would do rack pulls, there is less risk for injury and they will allow you to really overload your back while involving less lower body. If you wanted to focus on lower body then I would recommend trap bar deadlift; they will isolate your legs and also are less likely to cause injury.

Training Chest and Back on the same day can be tough. Both are relatively large muscle groups and can handle a bit of volume. If your frequency is greater than once per week then it could work out well - but otherwise I would probably group things differently and go with a Push/Pull Split instead. Another option if you wanted to continue with the Chest/Back split would be as you suggested, alternating between the primary (first) movement from week-to-week.

What is your current overall split (Day / Muscle Groups) and how many days per week are you interested in training? I can write something up for you from there.

No problem man.

I'm not really afraid of getting injuries, because i'm not "hurting" myself; i just don't really feel it in my upper back, so maybe i should incorporate rack pulls as well..

Well, recently i stumbled across an article about PRRS training and i'm currently building a template around it; i've just finished "constructing" my power week; still need to figure out what i'm going to do the other two weeks; but currently my split is: chest/biceps - back/triceps - legs/shoulders/lower back. so 3 day split.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Tom,

I wanted to start implementing some strongman stuff into my Westside routine. Would the best way to do this be to use the strongman stuffas conditioning 2-3 times a week? Or should I implement it into the Westside routine? Thanks.
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Tom, upmost respect for you and all you're doing. I've been working out Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, then doing some cardio/light stuff Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Is there any way to make this sort of system work? I work Friday-Monday and it's easy to hit the gym here at work on those days. For right now at least. I'm going to start with a strength trainer, hopefully here next week and could do Thurs-Sat-Monday split but for now, if something happens and I don't get to start with him can I make 4 days in a row work? I've been lifting and doing cardio on the same days, but want to maximize my returns of course.
    Mark,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Training (4) days in a row is not a problem as long as you are not working the same muscle groups two days in a row.

If you are looking to hire a Trainer I would recommend having that person train you on a different day each week. The reason for this is that working out with a Trainer everyday can be expensive and may not be justified, but one workout per week is fairly reasonable and by including variation you can learn from the trainer and apply new things to all of your workouts. This will also allow for recovery since in many cases a Trainer will push you quite a bit.

I would recommend having at least one day per week dedicated soley to rest/recovery (you can include stretching or massage on that day). Other than that it is fine to weight train 3-4 times per week along with 5-6 cardiovascular sessions. If you are looking to optimize your body composition make sure to stick with low intensity steady state or high intensity interval training cardio.

Please let me know if there is anything that I can help you with along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by pigout789 View Post
    Hey Tom whats up ive got a question. Say a weightlifter who wants to do a routine soley for the arms to get bigger say in a 12 week period what would the routine look like? Would the arms just be worked more and the rest of the body just put on maintnence? Thanks for your time sir.
    Pigout -

If you wanted to focus on arms I would train them early in the week and would likely increase frequency to twice per week for that bodypart while moderating the volume/intensity of the workouts. You can split the workouts into 'high intensity' or 'volume'.

Another way to optimize your goals would be to follow a 'maintenance program' for other body parts, esentially saving your intensity for the arm training sessions and making sure that other upper body training does not push you into overtraining.

There are some routines that combine both intensity and volume such as GVT. I made fantastic gains the first time that I followed this protocol for 3-4 weeks (arms only) and for the rest of my body I just did typical 'bodybuilder' workouts with moderate weights and standard rep/set schemes.

A lot of times simply adding in some shock principals and prioritizing a bodypart is enough to spark great gains without having to go to drastic measures. One thing to keep in mind is that your biceps/triceps are smaller muscle groups and so the gains will not be as drastic as a program that focused on chest/back/legs.

Please let me know if you would like to set up a detailed program and I would be happy to put something together for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trepkos01 View Post
    Tom,

I was thinking of possibly splitting my two set exercises into two different concepts.

1 set could be power, 5-8 reps, maximum weight(fast)
    2nd set could be tension, 10-12 reps(slow, focusing on contraction)

Also I pulled the muscle that starts at my armpit and fans throughout my left pectoral region, mainly the top and upper side. I usually pull this from going up in weight in dips too fast, which I did Friday where I jumped to 90lbs fast. The last time this happened, I had to move down in weight on dips for a week, to let it recover. But wow, it really was painful to bench this Tuesday, I couldn't go completely heavy on the bb bench due to the pressure building up on that injury was getting scarily close to possibly injuring it worse. DB bench and etc went pretty fine, though the pain was there, the weight was light enough from the deload that it didn't particularly feel too dangerous.
    Trepkos -

I actually apply similar principals in my training from time to time; mixing in variety with intensity and rep ranges. It seems to work well in that the 'power' set will help you to build strength but the 'volume' set provides you with enough overall stimulus for optimal hypertrophy.

Your muscle strain sounds like it might be your serratus? Is it still bothering you? Did you have any bruising or swelling?

Hope your training is going well.

Quote Originally Posted by ebomb5522 View Post
    Tom,
    In an upcoming strongman competition, one of the events is the car squat. I have a pretty solid back squat, but was wondering if there would/should be any specific way I should train for it. It is a different movement than the traditional squat because it seems that it is about a half squat with a touch and go at the bottom. Would just training the back and front squat normally be sufficient, or should I incorporate other movements that might better simulate it?

Thanks,

Evan
    Evan,

The car squat is quite a bit different from a free bar squat, but there are some good ways to train it in the gym.

If your gym has a squat machine these will do a better job of simulating a car squat aparatus:

http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com...nt.cfm/v-squat
    http://www.precor.com/comm/en/str-pl/pl624

Depending on the contest weight you may want to train for muscular endurance and rep out a lighter weight for sets of 30-45 seconds (as many reps as possible), or perhaps train with heavy weights and lower reps if you anticipate a heavy contest weight.

The reason that a squat machine is superior to a free weight is that the car squat is actually a leverage lift and is on a pivot. If you can drive against the pivot you will be able to lift much more weight than actually trying to "squat" the car. I learned this the hard way the first time that I was faced with a car deadlift in a contest.

Hope this helps, please let me know if there is anything else that you would like to go over while you are preparing for the contest.

Tom if you could give me a more detailed Routine for arms that would be great. Thanks for the reply man you are very informative and i would like to thank you for putting your time in to help people you dont even know.

I personally like the 5 day split if it could possibly be put into a 5 day routine it would be great if not its all good but ya thanks in advance
    Last edited by pigout789; 03-24-2010 at 07:47 AM.
    Height: 5,11
    Weight: 194 (Dieting to 9-10% BF )
    BF%: 13

The only thing wrong in this world is religon.

-Kevin

Why doesn't God heal amputees?